• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
:lol @ Heavy formation.

I remember defending last stage of Gold Rush and we all went Engineers, got our arses kicked and they were close to capping so everyone went Pyro and pushed them back to their spawn. Good times.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
speedpop said:
:lol @ Heavy formation.

I remember defending last stage of Gold Rush and we all went Engineers, got our arses kicked and they were close to capping so everyone went Pyro and pushed them back to their spawn. Good times.

Engineers eh? :lol

w0jsar.jpg

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Update out, was wondering why I couldn't connect to some servers:

Team Fortress 2

Pipebombs now get a reduced close range damage ramp up (like Rocket Launcher & Syringe Gun)

Ultimately reduces damage done by pipebombs to enemies <512 units from the Demoman

Moved the unlockable system over to the new item backend:

Added a warning dialog to the loadout screen telling clients when the server they're on could not get their loadout

Made "tf_damage_disablespread" a replicated convar, so clients can see the value of it on the server they're connected to

Renamed "mp_stalemate_at_timelimit" to "mp_match_end_at_timelimit", to better explain its function now that stalemate is optional

Fixed muzzle flashes & shell ejections still playing when viewmodels are hidden

Server tags can now be used to include or exclude servers from the list

Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat: Source

Protected several more commands from client exploitation

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Darkflight said:
How are people getting the achievement bars on screen?
Hit "Esc" in game and click Achievements, then select the ones you want to show on your HUD.
Ikuu said:

Team Fortress 2
Link?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ikuu said:

Pipebombs now get a reduced close range damage ramp up (like Rocket Launcher & Syringe Gun)

Ultimately reduces damage done by pipebombs to enemies <512 units from the Demoman
What this means: Demomen who defend by shooting stickies at the ground and retreating (Usually against Scouts or Pyros) will do less damage if the enemy is approx ~6 in game feet (1.5 flamethrower flame lengths) near the Demoman.

I didn't know the rocket launcher had it or the Syringe gun though...

It's just probably enough not to 1 hit 125hp classes is my guess.

Twig

Banned
1) It's actually stickybombs, not pipe bombs.
2) As fallout just explained to dumb ol' me, it doesn't mean you do less damage the closer they are. It means the damage increase has been ultimately decreased. The rate at which damage grows is no longer as high as it was before.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheOneGuy said:
1) It's actually stickybombs, not pipe bombs.
2) As fallout just explained to dumb ol' me, it doesn't mean you do less damage the closer they are. It means the damage increase has been ultimately decreased. The rate at which damage grows is no longer as high as it was before.
Explain 2?
In relation to the rocket launcher and syringe gun too please.

fallout

Hazaro said:
Explain 2?
In relation to the rocket launcher and syringe gun too please.
It's poor wording on their part (and maybe I'm wrong), but the "ramp up" part would indicate the following. The closer you get to the explosion, the more damage it does to you, which has always been true. However, the rate at which that increases has been decreased. I assume this means that the maximum damage output of the sticky bomb has been decreased, as well.

As for the rocket launcher, the same applies. Syringe gun would be based on how far you are from the target when you fire your gun. Still, that is really strange wording. I don't think I understand how the stickybombs work well enough to be sure about all that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
fallout said:
It's poor wording on their part (and maybe I'm wrong), but the "ramp up" part would indicate the following. The closer you get to the explosion, the more damage it does to you, which has always been true. However, the rate at which that increases has been decreased. I assume this means that the maximum damage output of the sticky bomb has been decreased, as well.

As for the rocket launcher, the same applies. Syringe gun would be based on how far you are from the target when you fire your gun. Still, that is really strange wording. I don't think I understand how the stickybombs work well enough to be sure about all that.
Yeah. I give the tf2 forums on steam until the scout update is revealed to figure it out :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The farther the ball flies before ricocheting offa some chucklehead's skull, the longer he's gonna be stunned. And guys who think they're tough because they're invulnerable? It works on them too. Now the bad news: You can't double jump when you're carrying this little beauty.
Interesting, but not what I wanted :[

I hope it was a really high arc like in the picture, and a recharge time. Not going to really know the full implications until stuff like that is discovered.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
>What if two pyros bounce it back and forth between each other and it keeps flying and getting longer and longer stun until when it eventually hits someone their game gets uninstalled
:lol

MNC

Wow... At first read, it sounds kind of overpowered.

Stunning ubercharged people? Only downside is no double jump? WOW.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MNC said:
Wow... At first read, it sounds kind of overpowered.

Stunning ubercharged people? Only downside is no double jump? WOW.
Double Jump is the Scout's soul.

It changes his play type to harrass instead of killing them, as he loses survivability. Imo.

Either way it LOOKS BAD, but if Valve took the time to add custom animations to each class and implement the code for it I'm sure it should be good. Right?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It took them long enough, but Valve came up with a perfect solution for the close range sticky spam :D

Now maybe I can stop hearing how overpowered Demo is when I mostly use primary nades anyway.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Playing scout more recently I like this, plus I mostly use nades as a demo for close range.
The damage ramp up explains why nades almost always 1 hit the weaker classes too.

512 = About 40 feet
damageOverDistance.jpg

There's going to be some Medic rage as every time they charge in there, some Scout knocks their uber-target stunned and useless. :lol I never expected them to take out the double-jump for something like this, though. That's a tremendous limit on the Scout.

Presumably this will work on disguised spies, so it makes for a pretty obvious spy check too, unless it can affect friendlies. Which it then becomes a griefing tool.

Oh darn, just realized this will be the 3rd milestone unlockable, but whatever, there's usually enough fun and moderately easy achievements to get these.

Oh and what's your guesses for the other days? Of course the two other unlockables and achievements, but maybe that new mode, a new map, a new video?

Bliddo

Let the hate-before-even-trying-it begins X_X

speedpop said:
A new mode would be awesome, but I'm not expecting it.
I do expect it actually... IIRC they mentioned something about a new mode a while ago.

Javaman

Kulock said:
There's going to be some Medic rage as every time they charge in there, some Scout knocks their uber-target stunned and useless. :lol I never expected them to take out the double-jump for something like this, though. That's a tremendous limit on the Scout.

Presumably this will work on disguised spies, so it makes for a pretty obvious spy check too, unless it can affect friendlies. Which it then becomes a griefing tool.

Has it been confirmed that the bat will paralyze ubered people? On a side not does Natsha slow down the movement of ubered players?

Cheeto

Kulock said:

Ya, kinda like how a pyro will knock them off of bridges, or juggle them in the air to be pushed 100yds away by the sentries.

Update sounds fine so far...sounds like its only one of the new weapons right? Are they going to be releasing details little by little during the week?

Volcynika said:
http://www.tf2.com/post.php?id=2253

Explains the recent sticky bomb update.
Can someone quote the text? Work is blocking the blog.

I wasn't crying foul, but if you're going to try to pick it apart like that...

Cheeto said:
Ya, kinda like how a pyro will knock them off of bridges,

That's a very specific situation.

Cheeto said:
or juggle them in the air to be pushed 100yds away by the sentries.

It's not easy, but they can still shoot while that's going on. And I usually don't see 100yd launches, although I do see teams of pyros keeping them aloft.

Seriously, though, I'm not bitching about the weapon. I don't have any experience with it. It's just funny to think "Incoming Uber... bring out the Scouts!"

Cheeto said:
Update sounds fine so far...sounds like its only one of the new weapons right? Are they going to be releasing details little by little during the week?

An update a day for the next few days, like the Heavy update.

Doytch

Cheeto said:
Can someone quote the text? Work is blocking the blog.

The news you've all been waiting for: The Scout Update!

Also, we released an update yesterday with a change that needs some clarification. The update notes said this:

* Sticky bombs now get a reduced close range damage ramp up (like Rocket Launcher & Syringe Gun)

From the response we got, there's some confusion around this, so we thought it'd be good to do a post that explained what's going on here.

In TF2, almost all damage done to players is modified based on the distance from the player to the enemy who did the damage. There are several reasons why this is done, but the general purpose of it is that it makes close combat resolve faster than long range combat, giving approaching players more time to make tactical decisions (like whether to engage or retreat). The ramp centers around the 512 units (roughly 40 feet) range, and linearly remaps damage done from 150% at 0 units down to 50% at >1024 units. So if you're fighting someone closer than 512 units, you're doing extra damage.

Sticky bombs have an additional complexity on top of this: they use the distance modification for the first 5 seconds of their life, and then turn it off. This is because it's generally a dual purpose weapon: used offensively like a rocket launcher, and defensively to create traps. The 5 second rule essentially means distance matters in the offensive mode, but not at all in the defensive. So if you're a trap laying Demoman, you don't need to get near the stickies when you set them off.

So, yesterdays update reduced the amount of bonus damage that the stickies earned at close range during that first 5 seconds of their life. Their old distance-based damage ramp range was 150% -> 50% variance around the base 120 damage, and the update reduced that to 115% -> 50%. Here's a handy graph with the details, and it shows how the remap only affects damage closer than 512 units.

Why did we do this? We didn't think that the Demoman was overpowered at medium & long ranges, where the charge up time provides an existing penalty. If we did a straight damage reduction across the board, we would affect that. In addition, by weakening the Demoman specifically at short range, we've created a weakness that enemies can take advantage of in combat, and makes the Demoman wary of specific enemy classes (like the Scout and Pyro).

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
"by weakening the Demoman specifically at short range, we've created a weakness that enemies can take advantage of in combat, and makes the Demoman wary of specific enemy classes (like the Scout and Pyro)." I've always been wary of close range scouts and pyros. This change hasn't affected my play style at all.

Cheeto

Iadien said:
"by weakening the Demoman specifically at short range, we've created a weakness that enemies can take advantage of in combat, and makes the Demoman wary of specific enemy classes (like the Scout and Pyro)." I've always been wary of close range scouts and pyros. This change hasn't affected my play style at all.
Ya, but now its better to use your regular grenades rather than just shoot stickies at the ground.

The new bat doesn't sound too bad. Scout can't double jump anymore (I bet even when he's carrying the Scattergun or the Pistol while having The Sandman equipped) and I doubt Valve would allow it to be used that easily. Wouldn't be surprised if the Scout has to stand still for a second or two while trying to launch a ball at someone, either.

I do wonder whether it'll be slightly stronger or weaker than the regular bat when wielding it as a melee weapon. They haven't mentioned that in its update. I'm also guessing that today's update is going to unveil a new official (made by Valve in other words) map.

speedpop said:
There are people that do that? :lol

Yes. Yes there are. And most of the time the demo would survive it while gibbing the class rushing them.

I had thought in recent days that stickies needed a sort of prime time to get to full damage, but apparently the game already includes it with a distance modifier (shutting it off after 5 seconds), so this is probably a good step.

Do people feel there are any other classes that still need a little polishing? I'm starting to feel like there needs to be an added complexity to sniping, too many career snipers have a frightening level of control over an entire opposing team now. I hate playing on maps like Turbine because of it.

Cheeto

Kulock said:
Yes. Yes there are. And most of the time the demo would survive it while gibbing the class rushing them.

I had thought in recent days that stickies needed a sort of prime time to get to full damage, but apparently the game already includes it with a distance modifier (shutting it off after 5 seconds), so this is probably a good step.

Do people feel there are any other classes that still need a little polishing? I'm starting to feel like there needs to be an added complexity to sniping, too many career snipers have a frightening level of control over an entire opposing team now. I hate playing on maps like Turbine because of it.
Sniper can be too good, but it's really up to the map. A great sniper can be just as dangerous as a great [any other class]...but some maps make it too easy to snipe, that's the problem.

On a un-related note: did anyone notice that they overhauled the official wiki for TF2 level creation? Pretty cool, don't know when they did it.
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Level_Creation

Haven't played any of those maps (haven't touched Arena ever since the Heavy Update even), but I'll give 'em a try. Would've preferred pl_great_heights to become a standard map, but I don't think that one's been finished yet anyway. Maybe for the next class update...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom