• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kulock said:
Do people feel there are any other classes that still need a little polishing? I'm starting to feel like there needs to be an added complexity to sniping, too many career snipers have a frightening level of control over an entire opposing team now. I hate playing on maps like Turbine because of it.
I've found the same is true when you have any player whose skill level is much higher than his opposition.

Edit : Shit Cheeto.

PillowKnight said:
I've found the same is true when you have any player whose skill level is much higher than his opposition.

The point is one player should not be able to keep the majority of the other team at bay, even if they're uncoordinated. Even a good soldier would have a hard time controlling such a wide expanse, a good spy definitely couldn't, a good heavy would be spreading his shots too thin, but a good sniper thrives on the wide open expanse, the practiced ones snap off instant kill headshots rapid fire, and on a map like Turbine they can see every single exit. Two good snipers and it's a wall of death.

Ironically, this update might help with that. Scout dashes past the Snipers to an unobvious spot, beans him with a baseball, and the opposing Snipers take him out while stunned. Still, Turbine would be a bitch to pull it off at.

Kulock said:
The point is one player should not be able to keep the majority of the other team at bay, even if they're uncoordinated. Even a good soldier would have a hard time controlling such a wide expanse, a good spy definitely couldn't, a good heavy would be spreading his shots too thin, but a good sniper thrives on the wide open expanse, the practiced ones snap off instant kill headshots rapid fire, and on a map like Turbine they can see every single exit. Two good snipers and it's a wall of death.

Ironically, this update might help with that. Scout dashes past the Snipers to an unobvious spot, beans him with a baseball, and the opposing Snipers take him out while stunned. Still, Turbine would be a bitch to pull it off at.
I don't agree with many of your individual points...but regarding turbine you're right, it is in desperate need of more cover.

Twig

Banned
Pipe bombs were always more fun to use anyway.

Back when I played all the time, I was a fuckin' beast and nailing scouts and shit.

Ahh, good times.

So true. I always have to remind myself to use stickies...

Then I don't use stickies. Pipe Bomb launcher is just powerful enough on its own. I only really use stickies if I'm setting up a trap or taking out a sentry.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
You're really missing out on a lot of the Demo's potential if you never use stickies offensively. Pipes are unreliable at range, no matter how much of a hotshot you are they can simply be dodged while stickies can't be. Personally I'm a fan of the bombardment technique - if you shoot one sticky, wait, shoot the second and detonate the first, then shoot the third and detonate the second, and so on, the result is that you're firing stickies at full speed and creating constant explosions on the target. Really really good for clearing points or crowded areas without giving them time to run away.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
KittenMaster said:
So true. I always have to remind myself to use stickies...

Then I don't use stickies. Pipe Bomb launcher is just powerful enough on its own. I only really use stickies if I'm setting up a trap or taking out a sentry.

Personally I always use primary grenades on sentries when possible. They're way harder for the enemy defenders to counter than stickies and if they're close enough they deal damage faster than an Engineer can repair.

I really only use stickies during ubers (or to defend against them) or to conserve grenade ammo.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm gonna go with the obvious here and say the "Miss!" means the Scout automatically evades fire. So now they aren't nearly completely useless when SGs are nearby.

MNC

`Transcript + picture please? What does it replace? Pistol, it seems? The site isn't loading for me :(

Nevermind. Bonk!

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
It obviously makes you dodge bullets, but it's not clear if you speed up or not. The red trail seems to imply as much but it might just be to show people that you're dodging. I think it would be strange looking if it didn't make you run faster though.

Also, lots of hints here: in the background you can see a double payload map, presumably a race to the finish, and the Scout is holding a new scattergun.

Capndrake

There's already custom maps which are similar to this and they all got boring/annoying after one match. Hope this one's better but it doesn't look like it considering how close the carts are :\

I'm not too interested in the new maps. It seems most servers with good ping for me don't play a lot of new maps anyway. I wish arena was played more frequently.

Volcynika

:lol

www.teamfortress.com

It saddens me that despite my best efforts to instruct and better you, some of you insist on finding new ways to fail.

We have sounded the alert and released a quick fix for an exploit that some unscrupulous players were using to wield items on invalid classes. I have considered an appropriate punishment for the good-for-nothings responsible for this horrendous breach of conduct. Death, of course - but death is too good for disappointments such as these. Instead, their unlockable items have been removed for a month.

To the majority of you who did not see fit to cheat, you have my congratulations: I await the countless other ways you will inevitably disappoint me in the future.

Yours,
TF Announcer

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Yeah I really don't like the idea of Valve giving such heavy punishments to people just for goofing around with a bug they patched in, unless it was really nasty like bringing down servers or something. Hopefully they at least have info to single out the people who were using it constantly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheOneGuy said:
Word to your mother.

http://www.teamfortress.com/scoutupdate/energydrink.htm

Energy drink! I can't tell from the wording if it makes you go faster or if it makes you dodge bullets. Either way, at the end, you definitely slow down.
Hazaro on Feb 09 said:
Add a sprint meter to the Scout similar to the Spy's cloak.
Does not replace any weapons.

Percent (%) drainage depends on how long you use it and give you a speed reduction for (%) * 5 (or 8 or 10) seconds.
Just one can’ll blast ya into a few-second rush of radioactive energy so powerful you’ll be dodgin’ bullets like they ain’t even there!
Note: Bonk! contains several hundred times the daily recommended allowance of sugar. After the beneficial effects of the radiation wear off, drinkers have reported experiencing feelings of lethargy that can last several seconds.
I don't care for the pistol much even though it can be pretty handy at times.
Same to me! :D

Also a very plausible list of achievement descriptions...

Obviously the main things to stand out are:
-Hitting back stun balls
-Double Barreled shotgun
-First Blood kill bonus
-Bullets miss (Most/All of the time?), but I think that explosions would hit the scout, plus Natascha might slow down the scout?

First Blood - make the first kill on the arena
First Blood pt.2 - kill 5 enemies using "First blood" bonus. (!!!)
Quick Hook - kill an enemy on the Well before the round starts
A Year to Remember - kill 2004 enemies
The Cycle - kill enemy while in air, on the ground and underwater, all during one life
Closer - destroy 25 teleporters
If You Build It - destroy 25 buildings while they are being constructed
Gun Down - destroy 5 sentries using pistol only
Doctoring the Ball - Kill 3 enemies while ubered
Dodgers 1, Giants 0 - Kill heavy and get his sandwich
Stealing Home - Start capping the point as soon as it becomes possible
The Big Hurt - Stun 25 ubered enemies
Batting the Doctor - Kill 10 fully charged medics
Beanball - Stun scout with his own ball (!!!)
Artful Dodger - Get 1000 "missed" damage during 1 life (!!!)
Strike Zone - Kill 50 stunned enemies
Out of the Park - Bat the enemy so he flies 25 meters
Triple Play - Cap 3 points in 1 round without dying
Triple Steal - Steal intel 3 times during 1 round
Round Tripper - Steal intel 250 times
Belittled Beleauger - Kill the enemy carrying your intel while you are carrying theirs
Fall Classic - Make 1000 double jumps
I'm Bat Man - Endure 500 damage in 1 life
Batter Up - Kill 100 enemies while double-jumping
Foul Territory - Cause enemy's death by stunning him
Pop Fly - Die because of double-barreled shotgun's recoil (!!)
Brushback - Stun 50 capping/pushing enemies
Moon Shot - Stun 25 enemies for a maximum time
Retire Runner - Kill 10 slowed down Scouts
Caught Napping - Kill 50 enemies by shooting them in the back with doublebarreled shotgun
Side Retired - Capture the last point
Set the Table - Start 50 succesful point captures
Block the Plate - Defend the point 100 times
No Hitter - Steal and cap intel without shooting
Race for the Pennant - Run 25 kilometers

You're going to be disappointed, I'm pretty sure they're not live yet.

As mentioned in the thread in Gaming, the official achivement descriptions are up. It seems like the Force-A-Nature (the double-barreled shotgun) has a serious kick on both sides, able to act as another jump for the Scout (nulling that limitation on Scouts using Sandman?) and able to blast the victim a major distance.

And as pointed out above, this is interesting:

First Blood: Get the first kill in an Arena match.

First Blood, Part 2: Kill 5 enemies with the First Blood crit buff.

It sounds like they're changing how crits work in Arena mode, with the first person to kill getting a rush of crits for a period of time, like the Heavy with the KGB.

Also, another new community map, CP_Egypt, and major tweaks to Fastlane. Which is odd, I didn't think Fastlane had many problems.

so what are the definitive gaf servers?

I can hardly browse servers anymore, apparently my isp limits concurrent connections so im SOL on games that use mass pinging as itll freeze up after around 600 servers and there is nothing i can do. I did use the caferate reg hack at 3000 and am able to ping about 2700 tf2 servers i assume that isnt all of them though is it?

so what servers does usa gaf (east coast pref) play on now?

1-D_FTW

A decent chunk like the Circle-X server. It's highly competitive and mostly sticks to the quality maps (Which can be a problem if you like quantity over quality.)

Volcynika

ZombieSupaStar said:
so what are the definitive gaf servers?

I can hardly browse servers anymore, apparently my isp limits concurrent connections so im SOL on games that use mass pinging as itll freeze up after around 600 servers and there is nothing i can do. I did use the caferate reg hack at 3000 and am able to ping about 2700 tf2 servers i assume that isnt all of them though is it?

so what servers does usa gaf (east coast pref) play on now?

Circle-X is good, I like F7 Lans too (they're based in Atlanta, so I get really good ping).

firex

man, I still kind of suck as heavy, but I'm just 5-6 achievements away from Natascha and then I'll be ready for scout swarms.

Zek said:
Yeah I really don't like the idea of Valve giving such heavy punishments to people just for goofing around with a bug they patched in, unless it was really nasty like bringing down servers or something. Hopefully they at least have info to single out the people who were using it constantly.
Oh come on, do you really have to give the benefit of doubt to Medics using miniguns? They knew what they were doing.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Oh come on, do you really have to give the benefit of doubt to Medics using miniguns? They knew what they were doing.

Having a random bit of fun? It was more advantageous than broken animation ("civilian") Heavies, but if I had known about it in time, I probably would've given it a try just to see, especially if other people on the server were messing with it too.

Nothing wrong with Valve patching it quickly, but unless it really screwed with the stat tracking (causing crashes or errors server-side), it seems a bit strange that they would take the extra step of punishing everyone who messed with it.

Kulock said:
Having a random bit of fun? It was more advantageous than broken animation ("civilian") Heavies, but if I had known about it in time, I probably would've given it a try just to see, especially if other people on the server were messing with it too.

Nothing wrong with Valve patching it quickly, but unless it really screwed with the stat tracking (causing crashes or errors server-side), it seems a bit strange that they would take the extra step of punishing everyone who messed with it.
I don't buy it. You're making a glitched Scout with a minigun sound just as innocuous as "man this aimbot program looks fun, I'm going to give it a shot."

ice cream

Banned
I don't buy it. You're making a glitched Scout with a minigun sound just as innocuous as "man this aimbot program looks fun, I'm going to give it a shot."
You actually have to download the aimbot. This is just a glitch in the game itself. What if the people did this glitch on a private server with just their friends? How is it harming anyone? I don't see Valve banning people for using the civillian glitch.

Cheeto

ice cream said:
You actually have to download the aimbot. This is just a glitch in the game itself. What if the people did this glitch on a private server with just their friends? How is it harming anyone? I don't see Valve banning people for using the civillian glitch.
you don't "use" the civilian glitch...and that's the point.

Javaman

firex said:
man, I still kind of suck as heavy, but I'm just 5-6 achievements away from Natascha and then I'll be ready for scout swarms.

I finally got the Natasha a couple of days ago. One thing that helped was viewing the achievement requirements on the HUD. I'm still missing a bunch for each of the classes but at least for the heavy, many of them come naturally over time. Freaking medic and the uber requirements. :eek:P

Ri'Orius

I would say that the weapon glitch is more innocuous simply because it's so blatant. If I join a server with a bunch of minigun scouts and flamethrower medics, I know something's up and I can choose to leave or stay (perhaps joining in for the lulz). But if I join a server where three people have aimbots, all I'll see is frustration.

Furthermore, aimbots just don't sound as much fun to go up against as minigun scouts. It'd be a hoot to see 'em in action, IMHO, at least for ten minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom