• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Get a room, ladies.
s105.jpg

1-D_FTW

Blizzard said:
Well since they changed the scout, your defense options are basically to slow them down (with an uber or invincible scout in their path), or knock them in the air (pyro, demo, soldier MAYBE). That's not really a lot of options, since the physically-blocking thing hardly ever gets used and only really works if they're in a corridor, I'd say.

So what do you want? For an engineer to be able to build and have no counter for it? That would make the game real fun. Rock-paper-scissor. An engineer is part of the team. The rest of the team is supporting his back. Can an ubered demo easily squash him if the team let's him get through? Sure. But it's not like the other team is composed of 50 percent medics and there's an endless supply of ubers. Either have your teammates kill the medics before they get close enough to uber (spies, snipers, everyone should have medics as their number 1 priority for this very reason) or have the pyro blast the medic away once he does. Ubered demos are worried about laying their stickies when ubered, so they're not going to be engaging the guys surrounding them. Those are two very effective counters right there.

And things get considerablely more difficult if you have a cohesive team and multiple engineers. A single sentry is fairly easily countered. But if you have 2 or 3 sentries in strategically sound places where the engineer is in a turtled bunker, even a good demoman isn't going to be able to get them all. So the point will still be impenetrable.

Blizzard

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
So what do you want? For an engineer to be able to build and have no counter for it? That would make the game real fun. Rock-paper-scissor. An engineer is part of the team. The rest of the team is supporting his back. Can an ubered demo easily squash him if the team let's him get through? Sure. But it's not like the other team is composed of 50 percent medics and there's an endless supply of ubers. Either have your teammates kill the medics before they get close enough to uber (spies, snipers, everyone should have medics as their number 1 priority for this very reason) or have the pyro blast the medic away once he does. Ubered demos are worried about laying their stickies when ubered, so they're not going to be engaging the guys surrounding them. Those are two very effective counters right there.

And things get considerablely more difficult if you have a cohesive team and multiple engineers. A single sentry is fairly easily countered. But if you have 2 or 3 sentries in strategically sound places where the engineer is in a turtled bunker, even a good demoman isn't going to be able to get them all. So the point will still be impenetrable.
That's what I meant, that there aren't a ton of options to take out sentries like the guy earlier was suggesting. I don't think engineers should be invincible.

Though when I play engineer, I -would- like to be nearly invincible, with superpowered unsappable sentries that fire sniper lasers and stuff. *shrug* I can dream. :(

I'm still a terrible demo though, and I'm trying to learn things. I only learned recently that you could actually charge stickies to fire them further. Recently someone ubered me to take out a sentry on the badwater point 2 roof...I fired 4-5 stickies and blew them up, and apparently in that time frame the engineer or a heavy had managed to shoot all but one or two of my stickies. As a result, I don't think the sentry even got destroyed. :p

1-D_FTW

Ah, I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to say with that scout tactic. But since you quoted Ysiadmihi, I thought you were arguing the other side.

Blizzard

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Ah, I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to say with that scout tactic. But since you quoted Ysiadmihi, I thought you were arguing the other side.
No, I was kind of disagreeing that there are "tons" of tactics to counter ubers. I don't really like that they took away the scout stunning thing, since it wasn't easy in my opinion to pull it off.

On the other hand, people arguing against that usually complained "YOU'RE UBER NOTHING SHOULD AFFECT YOU", to which I then had to point out the exact things we just mentioned, i.e. airblast, demos, soldiers, sentries, scouts, ubers.

firex

It was way too easy for anyone who uses it a lot to stun ubers and make them totally useless. Especially considering the time it takes to build an uber compared to the time it takes to throw a baseball and stun someone.

although I think the stun bat is a horrible item anyway.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
No, I was kind of disagreeing that there are "tons" of tactics to counter ubers. I don't really like that they took away the scout stunning thing, since it wasn't easy in my opinion to pull it off.

It completely ruined the final point of Hoodoo 2 though. Have engineers on red build up on that platform that is 90% inaccessible to blue team yet can defend the last point perfectly, throw in a few scouts on red and you have a blue team that would never, ever cap that point. Ubers would get stunned long before they came anywhere near the sentries.

I guess you could say that's the maps fault but I would kinda disagree.

Blizzard

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
And engineer, and sniper, and medic, and
You forgot spy, I'm an awful spy! I'm actually a decent pyro and medic (if I have someone to protect me).

Just curious, have you ever actually played with me much? I can't tell if you're joking or not. :lol I used to try to medic you once or twice, but I seem to recall you typically suiciding before I had a chance to build an uber.

What's funny is, I've actually seen some awful pyros. They do exist. Some people learn the movement keys but forget to hold the mouse down and occasionally right click.

1-D_FTW

Does anyone know about choke and the netgraph? I've been having lousy hit detection and ran netgraph. I'm spiking around 50 for choke. I've been raising and lowering levels, but it doesn't change a whole lot.

I've kind of been using this as a guideline:

http://www.northernresistance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17

My net_graph gets some ugly spikes that go into the low 2000s. Anyone really familiar with the technical issues of that? What's a normal range? Any helpful suggestions?

EDIT: Lowered things considerably and my choke still is spiking, but a lot better. Nice to be able to have shots register again. I can only imagine what my choke was in Left4Dead. Probably was spiking to 90.

2nd EDIT: Hmm. Left4Dead wasn't as bad as TF2. But by changing the rate to 25000 (raising for this game), I was able to get my choke to pretty much sit at 0 during the game. Being able to kill Boomers and smokers in a couple shots (even with a ping of 145)? How novel. Wish I would have stumbled onto this a little earlier.

3rd EDIT: And by changing the rate to 30000 on TF2, I've gotten the choke to sit mostly at 0 on that. Now that I know what I'm doing, I can really tweak it:)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
You forgot spy, I'm an awful spy! I'm actually a decent pyro and medic (if I have someone to protect me).

Just curious, have you ever actually played with me much? I can't tell if you're joking or not. :lol I used to try to medic you once or twice, but I seem to recall you typically suiciding before I had a chance to build an uber.

What's funny is, I've actually seen some awful pyros. They do exist. Some people learn the movement keys but forget to hold the mouse down and occasionally right click.
:lol

So awesome to have a Pyro run into me as a cloaked spy, look around, then try to move by me, then I move out of the way and they just go on.

Speaking of Spy... I had some insane runs yesterday (Thanks to the Cloak and Dagger)... Consistent too, I had a couple 8,9,10 stab runs to boot.
260ra0y.jpg

2akb6kg.jpg

^This was over 2 rounds, but I will still call my max 35:lol
acaame.jpg

^Mostly Spy, had to go demo on the last point when things got too dicey

Pumpkins

What's with me having bad TF2 experiences lately!?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I was in a server with this admin totally abusing their power. I was just playing around with another teammate, yelling "spy!", near him, as the round was starting (we were meleeing each other, you know how pre-round TF2 is). I heard some raging girl say "shut up!", but I just ignored it. Then someone commanded my character to die, and I was like "Was that REALLY necessary?", and then she replied "Was the spam REALLY necessary?".

Then I basically said abusing admin privileges makes people not wanna come to the server, and then she used this text mod on me, so that whatever I said turned into crude sexual sentences (...thinking back on that now, what kind of person would take the time out to install that onto their server? :lol )

I went on her profile, and she's basically one of those "I'm a girl gamer, therefore I'm better than everyone, screw you" players. And her profile was, no joke, filled with quotes of her clan-mates professing their love/awe/fascination with her and her breasts. She was a narcissistic, unjust, frigid jerk! I can't stand people like that, absolutely no care or consideration for others or fairness.

I got banned from there, but that's a good thing.

Pumpkins

Yeah, it's really kind of a bummer knowing that you have no chance of "winning" in that situation, since they control the server and everything.

I'm just glad I don't ever have to go back to that place again, it was pretty terrible. Do one thing the "authority" dislikes, and you get picked on, then banned.

Twig

Banned
Nah, you win by going balls-out nutso in the server.

Or shutting up, switching teams, and targeting the admin only until you get banned. One of the two.

Pumpkins

Haha, yeah I thought of getting my mic to kind of make her realize that I was, y'know, a live human being and not just text on a screen, but I ended up using Willy Wonka's "You GET NOTHING, you LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!" sound clip instead. :lol

And thanks for your post, mang. :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah people tend to shut up whenever I put the mic in and start talking. It's as if "oh he's just a typist, I can continue insulting him" then when they hear me rant back after awhile they crawl back into their hole.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pumpkins said:
What's with me having bad TF2 experiences lately!?

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Play on good fun servers like eGo, eVGA, eXo, Slaughterhouse, Fug, and some others I can't remember.

Fug especially becuase the rounds I played there were very very tense and had no team stacking. Really really exciting games and some playful trash talk and coordination going on with both teams. Most fun I've had with TF2 in a while.

1-D_FTW

Not that anyone cares, but with regards to my earlier post, the reason my choke in L4D was lower than TF2 is because the update rate in L4D is defaulted at 30. Which means a choke of 30 is the max you can have. I'm so happy I finally stumbled onto this issue. I've been saying for over a year that my ISP is broken with Valve. Nice to finally have the solution.

Oreoleo

1-D_FTW said:
Not that anyone cares, but with regards to my earlier post, the reason my choke in L4D was lower than TF2 is because the update rate in L4D is defaulted at 30. Which means a choke of 30 is the max you can have. I'm so happy I finally stumbled onto this issue. I've been saying for over a year that my ISP is broken with Valve. Nice to finally have the solution.

Would this be worth looking into to improve performance even if I haven't really ever noticed issues with hit detection?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1-D_FTW said:
I had no idea what you are talking about :lol
I also do not want to know because it will mess up my aim as a sniper, probably?

Cheeto

Hmm, I tried to join circlex last night and was rejected. Not sure what I did, but I got banned back in April from the circleX servers for griefing. What's Fug an abbreviation for?

1-D_FTW

Orellio said:
Would this be worth looking into to improve performance even if I haven't really ever noticed issues with hit detection?

Hazaro said:
I had no idea what you are talking about :lol
I also do not want to know because it will mess up my aim as a sniper, probably?

You can't do any harm by just looking. You can go into the console and type net_graph 3 (net_graph 0 to get it to disappear again.) When you type that in, a huge graph is displayed in your lower right corner (it displays FPS, bandwith, Loss, Choke.) And if your choke is sitting in the 50s like mine was, it means a ton of directions are not being sent because the connection is overwhelmed. When this happens, Valve doesn't know where you are and assumes the worst for your encounters.

Pretty sure most people have fairly decent performance. My connection has been bizarre lately and I knew something was up. I had a game 2 days ago where I just couldn't get any kills. All I could get was a bunch of assists. I was the only soldier. And I kept gibbing people to death and, at best, only got credited with an assist (which is impossible. If a person explodes, the death was from the rocket and not the scout gun.)

I Just played against some very good offensive players and ended a match with a 4:1 kill ratio. It was so nice to have my shots register properly again.

http://css.levels4you.com/forum.l4y?do=view&t=196196

That's a better guide at explaining than the first one I found.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1up said:
Did anyone else notice that the demoman holds the sticky launcher with one hand?
Yes and it annoys me to no end. So awkward to have the other hand just hanging in air.
Cheeto I have no idea, I just played on their server yesterday.

@otherguy, I'm not looking :lol
I always learn too much info about games, not this time...

1-D_FTW

I think you're out of luck Cheeto. They want you to contest a ban within one month so they know what you did. Afterwards they don't have a record and are afraid of unbanning real douches. Or maybe fug does mean something. I thought they just said your ID is banned.

Hazaro said:
Yes and it annoys me to no end. So awkward to have the other hand just hanging in air.
Cheeto I have no idea, I just played on their server yesterday.

@otherguy, I'm not looking :lol
I always learn too much info about games, not this time...

Probably a wise idea.

squinters

astigmatic
I finally got around to trying Frontier. Was pretty fun and had some interseting verticality. Only minor complaints are some tight chokepoints and getting on the platform can be a bit difficult.

Cheeto

1-D_FTW said:
I think you're out of luck Cheeto. They want you to contest a ban within one month so they know what you did. Afterwards they don't have a record and are afraid of unbanning real douches. Or maybe fug does mean something. I thought they just said your ID is banned.
Ya I have no idea what I was banned for, I don't remember ever being kicked from the server or anything. I was probably spawn camping or something and someone got butthurt.

I was asking if the FUG server stood for something...I've never seen FUG in the server list.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheeto said:
Ya I have no idea what I was banned for, I don't remember ever being kicked from the server or anything. I was probably spawn camping or something and someone got butthurt.

I was asking if the FUG server stood for something...I've never seen FUG in the server list.
FugTF2 was what I thought the name was, it says they are in the Top 10 servers on their join message.

http://www.fugtf2.com/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They're fun PUGing servers if you're into uncoordinated 32 player matches (friendly/no reserve slots).

Won

Saw a Soldier with a stainless pot today. Do want. :(

Hurry up with whatever crazy ass broken system you have planned, Valve!

Sibylus

Banned
Repost from the Penny Arcade forumz, which itself was reposted from somewhere else:

I've talked it over with several admins across a number of TF2 servers and we are making it official with our No Halos plugin.

Simply put, this plugin takes your Steam ID and checks Source OP for your bacpack. If it detects the Cheater's Lament, the plugin warns you in-game that you have 5 minutes to delete the Halo. If you delete it, you're free to keep playing. If you don't delete it in the 5 minutes, you are automatically perma-banned from the server.

Together with all the admins I've spoken to there are now 60 servers using this plugin, and more will be added.

Just remember folks. You didn't earn it.
Fuck 'em, I say. I don't give a shit if they protest at the presence of a particular item in my backpack, it's my business as to what stays in there and absolutely none of theirs. The lot of 'em are meddling little shits.

The last sentence is especially humorous. I suppose the dunce that wrote it thinks he "earned" the hats he lost a little while ago?

benjipwns

Banned
Can't wait for the plugin to be edited by others to do the same to the Sandman, Cloak and Dagger, Dead Ringer, Backburner, etc.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
:lol :lol

"You didn't earn it"

There are two sides of the coin here; those who didn't use an idling program to "play" the game and earn items, and those who did. Again we see people with "power" who believe they are legitimate cry foul and throw their toys out of the crib because the company who created the game didn't enjoy what they were doing and subsequently punished them without warning.

What is funny is that according to Valve the TF2 gaming minority are the labeled cheaters, which means that the only players these servers will see are those who want to earn a quick buck with little effort. Those on here and everywhere else may spew the same lines of "bu..bu..but Valve didn't warn us! and their unlock system is a joke in the first place! that's why I did it!" Well time to face the music boys and girls because if other gamers can earn weapons and hats without fiddling on an idling program, so can you! That or why didn't you idle the old school way in the first place?

I'm glad that in Australia the servers are predominantly run by ISPs and therefore more popular than regular Joe Hick's server because of the zero tolerance towards idiots. We don't have wankers with inconsolable rage in admin positions.

Blizzard

Banned
speedpop said:
:lol :lol

"You didn't earn it"

There are two sides of the coin here; those who didn't use an idling program to "play" the game and earn items, and those who did. Again we see people with "power" who believe they are legitimate cry foul and throw their toys out of the crib because the company who created the game didn't enjoy what they were doing and subsequently punished them without warning.

What is funny is that according to Valve the TF2 gaming minority are the labeled cheaters, which means that the only players these servers will see are those who want to earn a quick buck with little effort. Those on here and everywhere else may spew the same lines of "bu..bu..but Valve didn't warn us! and their unlock system is a joke in the first place! that's why I did it!" Well time to face the music boys and girls because if other gamers can earn weapons and hats without fiddling on an idling program, so can you! That or why didn't you idle the old school way in the first place?

I'm glad that in Australia the servers are predominantly run by ISPs and therefore more popular than regular Joe Hick's server because of the zero tolerance towards idiots. We don't have wankers with inconsolable rage in admin positions.
Your legit backpack is weak, old man.

http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197993068362

Sadly, I apparently deleted natascha and I can't seem to get another one. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom