• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

The concept might not be new, but in my hundreds of hours of play, I'd never seen anything even remotely as cowardly as what that dude did. And I got to watch him keep running while I was dead to rub it in.:lol

That specific tunnel is a killing gallery for a soldier (as long as a heavy doesn't jump in.) To turn tail and run because a pyro enters is a wasted kill. To do it when you have a blind medic buffing you five feet away is just??????

Javaman

Hostile Paradox said:
"Let’s face it, no one in their right mind wants to play Medic on the average public game. Your teammates are generally uncommunicative, dull, unskilled or simply don’t care about you. Buff up that Soldier? Guarantee he’ll jump away and leave you to die via buckshot as he gets shot by a Sniper. Stick with your pal the Heavy? The lumbering oaf will get stabbed before you can even mash X+2 (not like he’d pay attention anyway). All this assuming on the off-chance that your team isn’t entirely composed of scouts, snipers, pyros and spies."

http://www.ubercharged.net/2009/08/31/competitive-tf2-part-five-the-medic/

I think that sums up the reason why I'll be sticking with the Blutsauger, for my own protection, cuz if you don't protect yourself who will?

I would like to use the syringe gun for increased regen, but that only works if you live long enough to regenerate.

To me it's far less critical for the other player in the pair to have chat as long as the medic in the group has it. He can call out spies and tell the player that he's going to be covered with an uber. It's going to be hard to give up the Bluts even with the lower healing rate. I can't count the number of times it's saved my goose while being chased.

Twig

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
The concept might not be new, but in my hundreds of hours of play, I'd never seen anything even remotely as cowardly as what that dude did. And I got to watch him keep running while I was dead to rub it in.:lol

That specific tunnel is a killing gallery for a soldier (as long as a heavy doesn't jump in.) To turn tail and run because a pyro enters is a wasted kill. To do it when you have a blind medic buffing you five feet away is just??????
Oh it's hilarious no doubt.

I'm just idly wondering, kind of curious.

Sibylus

Banned
The luckiest heavy in the world.

taosog.png

3 of us were charged, but more or less waiting for the usual gang of teammates to roll through so we could split up a bit.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I see two guys still trying to charge. Surely it would've been smarter to heal the other Medics to charge quicker/top up their health?

Twig

Banned
speedpop said:
I see two guys still trying to charge. Surely it would've been smarter to heal the other Medics to charge quicker/top up their health?
Sometimes people do these things for fun. O;

Sibylus

Banned
speedpop said:
That was what was more or less happening, I just caught a quick screenie of all four of the beams on the same target.

What the fuck... after about three weeks of my progress report finally "sticking" with no rollback issues it rolls back to about three weeks ago. This is fucking insanity.

It just annoys the hell out of me to think that my best runs might not be saved. It was my highest score that rolled back, too. Lame as shit.

speedpop

fallengorn said:
It's more likely than you think.
What is? Fun or 2+ Medics healing the same target?

Both are extremely varied throughout TF2. To state that it doesn't happen is to be blind.

MNC

Botolf said:
Take care of your medic and your medic'll take care of you. Queueing up thank yous doesn't hurt either.
I don't understand what the trouble is to use z1. Thanking people should be damn mandatory and everytime I get a (random even) heal, I thank them, or when I save them. When I'm medic and I see the thank you appear on screen (which means people actually pressed z1) I get all fuzzy inside :3

What in the fuck is this :lol http://w1kln2y5c.homepage.t-online.de/dog/

Sibylus

Banned
MNC said:
I don't understand what the trouble is to use z1. Thanking people should be damn mandatory and everytime I get a (random even) heal, I thank them, or when I save them. When I'm medic and I see the thank you appear on screen (which means people actually pressed z1) I get all fuzzy inside :3

People in general don't use enough of the voice commands, I very rarely see people doing the battle cry animations (for example).

Re: Dog - Damn, that's kinda awesome. That'd be a cool DLC add-on, but with some major tweaks (ie get rid of the shitty guns, it should be a totally melee class).

Vlad

Botolf said:
People in general don't use enough of the voice commands, I very rarely see people doing the battle cry animations (for example).

Until just now, I never even knew that the "Battle Cry" command actually had an animation attached to it. I'd sometimes do one while waiting for the round to start, but otherwise there really isn't much point.

On top of that, I find that usually it's just faster to use my mic instead of the built-in voice commands.

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:

Wow...did that remind anyone of Snowcrash? I loved the rat-thing. :D

Syril

MNC said:

Why do people get so hung up on saying thank you manually? That's why all the classes have "Thanks for the heal" voice clips that trigger automatically. I'm saying this as someone who plays as a medic frequently.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Syril said:
Why do people get so hung up on saying thank you manually? That's why all the classes have "Thanks for the heal" voice clips that trigger automatically. I'm saying this as someone who plays as a medic frequently.
I always manually thank medics. When someone does it when I am healing it makes me feel good, plus when I say thanks I hope they stick to me more :D

Sibylus

Banned
Hazaro said:
I always manually thank medics. When someone does it when I am healing it makes me feel good, plus when I say thanks I hope they stick to me more :D

It makes the Medic feel appreciated and it's just a nice gesture.

Blizzard

Banned
Botolf said:

It makes the Medic feel appreciated and it's just a nice gesture.
z1 is unfortunately like the most awkward to hit when you're trying to keep moving around and dodging. Maybe I should just rebind z. :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I rarely play Pyro but have new respect for the class. Broke quite a few records that round. Just running at people holding M1 :lol

2q8u7gg.jpg

speedpop

Hazaro said:
I rarely play Pyro but have new respect for the class. Broke quite a few records that round. Just running at people holding M1 :lol
It's an awesome class. A lot of people say for new players to TF2 that Pyro is very easy to get into, and it's true. However there is a whole different level between running and gunning, compared to fully getting into what a Pyro is whilst finding differences between playing styles.

I know a player out there who runs as Pyro Backburner and he is utterly devastating, yet at the same time I'm much more of a defensive sneak Pyro who stays relatively within a Medic's area and makes sure the Ubers don't get through.

MNC

Syril said:
As been said, people actually go through the trouble of thanking you manually feels nicer than letting the autovoice do it, it's just a gesture.

1-D_FTW

What are the known problems for enabling dual core support? I recently enabled it because I get a better framerate with it on, but I've also started experiencing random lag lockups where I freeze-skip for 10 seconds and then crash with corrupted graphics.

Yesterday it crashed so hard my desktop reverted to 640*480 and even Windows was psychedelic. When I restarted and submitted the serious error report to Windows, the webpage said it was a blue-screen crash derived from a display driver crash. And it was a doozy of a crash. I had to unplug my computer to restart it.

I've just installed the latest Nvidia drivers (was running the second to latest certified drivers.) But I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette with these crashes. And thinking back, it seems like this issue may have began when I enabled dual core support. Anyone know if this is a known issue for some people?

Jarate

Banned
Pyro if used corrctly can be devastating. The key to pyro is to use your shotgun. The shotgun is your best friend. If your moving towards someone, have your shotgun out and then when the time is right pull out your flamethrower. The shotgun is a decent weapon in this game, and is so friggin important to the pyro. That's why i hate seeing all the bad pyros running around with the flare gun. The flare gun sucks

Davidion

Jarate said:
Pyro if used corrctly can be devastating. The key to pyro is to use your shotgun. The shotgun is your best friend. If your moving towards someone, have your shotgun out and then when the time is right pull out your flamethrower. The shotgun is a decent weapon in this game, and is so friggin important to the pyro. That's why i hate seeing all the bad pyros running around with the flare gun. The flare gun sucks

They should do something about the flare gun, give it a little splash so that it's actually a feasible tool for distracting small groups, etc.

MNC

1-D_FTW said:
What are the known problems for enabling dual core support? I recently enabled it because I get a better framerate with it on, but I've also started experiencing random lag lockups where I freeze-skip for 10 seconds and then crash with corrupted graphics.

Yesterday it crashed so hard my desktop reverted to 640*480 and even Windows was psychedelic. When I restarted and submitted the serious error report to Windows, the webpage said it was a blue-screen crash derived from a display driver crash. And it was a doozy of a crash. I had to unplug my computer to restart it.

I've just installed the latest Nvidia drivers (was running the second to latest certified drivers.) But I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette with these crashes. And thinking back, it seems like this issue may have began when I enabled dual core support. Anyone know if this is a known issue for some people?
It basically added a button for mat_threaded something from the console. It usually brings alot of problems and the only proper engine with multicore support from valve is the L4D engine.

Vlad

Jarate said:

I'm the exact opposite. Personally, I find that the shotgun and the flamethrower tend to have overlapping roles, being as the shotgun is primarily a short-range weapon. Sure, you can hit someone with it from long range, but at that point the shotgun does so little damage that I find it more effective to light them on fire with a flare.

1-D_FTW

MNC said:
It basically added a button for mat_threaded something from the console. It usually brings alot of problems and the only proper engine with multicore support from valve is the L4D engine.

I guess at this point I'll just keep it enabled and try out the new graphics drivers. If it crashes one more time, I'll know to disable it. Just hope if it does crash, it's not a non-recoverable one.

I'm surprised L4D is considered to have better support. The skipping in that game made me disable dual core immediately.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
With Pyro I was on with the Shotgun saying the Flare Gun sucks, then used Flare Gun for a while, now back to the Shotgun.

Useful for other Pyros and doesn't let me waste time pot shotting at people far away.

VaLiancY

Depends on the stage for me. If I'm defending, I'll use the flare gun because my allies will be in close proximity to take them out. If I'm attacking, the shotty is my savior.

After a 100+ hours and dozens of duplicate weapons (just LOOK at my backpack!), I've finally unlocked a hat for a class I actually wanted: the Heavy's Tough Guy Toque! I did unlock a hat for the Demoman and a non-hat for the Scout before, but I plan on getting rid of those as soon as Valve implements the item trading feature. They're my two least played classes by a large margin after all, so I have no need for 'em.

1-D_FTW said:

I've enabled multi-core support, and haven't run into any issues myself. Not using a videocard from nVidia, however.

squinters

astigmatic
I've been trying to work on my Pyro recently. Seeing all the devistaing flame -> airblast -> axtenguisher Pyros out there got eme interested in that playstyle. But it's been proving to be more difficult than I expected. If I meet more than one enemy at a time then taking out my axtenguisher is practically suicide. I now have to hug corners and survey the situation instead of running in holding m1.

benjipwns

Banned
I was a shotgun guy, but started playing with the flare gun recently and I've come around. It sends people running and I'm shockingly accurate with it. Sending Snipers and Spies running is just too much fun. Especially when you're shooting for someone else and get a cloaked Spy.

speedpop

Yeah I've never hated on the Flare Gun, or Pyros who use it, because in the right hands and at the right circumstances it is a real annoyance to the opposite team. You know Snipers don't like it when they are actively trying to kill you after they've received one too many flares in their face.

It's also pretty cool when it's a crit flare.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I used to be against the Flare Gun. I always thought that the shotgun was invaluable and much better at close range, which is what the Pyro excels at. Lately however, I've gotten into the habit of firing away at an enemy near me, airblast him, and than axetinguish him. It's a pretty great combination.

benjipwns

Banned
The problem with the Flare Gun is when you're off on your own, if there's the "right" distance between you and enemies, or it's the "wrong" class, you have zero options to confront them. The flares do little to stop them.

But when you're firing flares as you approach a forward position, redirecting Snipers, and playing Pyro mostly as a role to make things easier for your teammates it has its uses. I've easily doubled the number of assists I get just from hitting someone with a flare as they attack making it easier for a teammate to finish them off. (If they don't run that is.)

I generally play Pyro as a RED defender, so I'm interested in hitting large groups and taking down a few and damaging the rest so my teammates have an easier time. With the Flare Gun I can ward off some of these people early on before I get to the point where I flame or die, especially if my defense mates need to spawn yet or something, a few flares can cut off an attacking force just enough. (And if they have no medics, you can stop entire waves with them and follow-up rush because they almost always panic running for health. And the Backburner doesn't help them out in that.) And classes like Scout, Spy and Sniper run for the hills if hit with one. (Scouts die from one flare like 80% of the time if they can't get health that I've seen.)

Really just depends on how I want to play Pyro, I still think that was the best class update however. Completely nailed giving the Pyro multiple options to play the same role. And the achievements are probably the best as well, as I got almost all of them just through standard play. (EDIT: I have 34/38 and one is Pyromancer and the others either are an "one-time" event or related to the airblast which I tend to not use since I prefer the flanking instant death the Backburner provides.)

borsdy

Banned
My friend unlocked every pryo cheivo except pyromancer through regular play(as far as I know) too. He only needs 60k fire dmg to get the whole lot, heh ;)

Does equiping my halo increase my chances of getting new hats or am I only making classes like sniper look silly for cosmetic reasons?

Blizzard

Banned
benjipwns said:
I've deleted them, but I've had at least twelve Razorbacks.

No idling either.
Nice. I got uh...one generic item tonight playing maybe an hour or so. I've been waiting for the last month or so to get a random natascha since I can't earn one. :(

1up

:lol The use the flaregun because its so much fun. A lot of people dont know that you get a mini crit on it if you hit someone already burning. Also, there's nothing more humiliating then getting 'tampon'd' to death.

::EDIT:: Also, the heavy tossing his sandvich is ridiculous. Heavy Medic combo's are even more deadly now. I saved my medic's life numerous times last night from burning to death by throwing my sandvich out there.

Oreoleo

1up said:
:lol The use the flaregun because its so much fun. A lot of people dont know that you get a mini crit on it if you hit someone already burning. Also, there's nothing more humiliating then getting 'tampon'd' to death.

I had no idea that was the case and pyro is my second most-played class. I've been using the flare gun instead of the shotgun for the past couple days now and it IS so much fun harassing people with it. Only problem is shotgun was really useful for taking down enemy pyros and now I feel a little vulnerable without it. Worth it though for enjoyment factor alone.

Does anyone have that graph of the different classes ranked at skill vs strategy? I think I saw it as a spray once and wanted to give it a closer look.

Edit: I almost forgot! I got my first legit hat yesterday! It's the glengarry bonet for demoman and it is SNAZZY :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom