• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raydeen

dpp said:
I'm trying to spread the word about this project my friend has put together this past week... I helped with some of the translations (I'm not a native speaker so bear with me). I'm still shocked how fast he made everything and how good it is. Any feedback would be excellent (not gameplay-wise, since this is just for entertainment purposes I guess).

Tell your friends as well, the more people who reads it, the merrier.

The FAKE Engineer Update! 5 days worth of goodness!

http://www.teamfortress.com.br/engineerupdate/day01.html
http://www.teamfortress.com.br/engineerupdate/day02.html
http://www.teamfortress.com.br/engineerupdate/day03.html
http://www.teamfortress.com.br/engineerupdate/day04.html
http://www.teamfortress.com.br/engineerupdate/day05.html

Enjoy!

Haha. Awesome!

But...

Valve where is the flamethrower sentry? :p

According to the official blog, the character assets are now available in the SDK, along with several of the props from the Meet the Sniper short.

camper.jpg

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I've never played TF classic, I didn't realize that bobblehead was supposed to be the civilian. I thought it was G-man this whole time. :/

Actually, it was funnier when I thought it was G-man.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Raydeen said:
Valve where is the flamethrower sentry? :p

Hmmm! That'd be a great idea! There's balance there as well.

+ Would be able to take out corners, hopefully spy check, and improve choke points.
- Limited range leaves it open to any number of characters to destroy it. Maybe it can be put out and the engie has to hit it to bring the fire back?

squinters

astigmatic
Kuro Madoushi said:
Hmmm! That'd be a great idea! There's balance there as well.

+ Would be able to take out corners, hopefully spy check, and improve choke points.
- Limited range leaves it open to any number of characters to destroy it. Maybe it can be put out and the engie has to hit it to bring the fire back?
It seems like it would be even more susceptible to demos though. Since no one would put the flaming sentry out in the open, the main placement point would be in corners or tunnels, which a demo or two spamming their pipebombs off the opposite walls could easily destroy it without the need of an uber.

What if it didn't just act like a flamethrower? What if, when upgraded, it pelleted out little balls of flame like the Pyro's flare gun? Slower fire rate and less immediate damage, but would still give it long-range ability and pus a stop to initial charges while they panic and retreat to put out the flames.

Still, I'd like to see something more extreme for the sentry alternative. Like the sentry dog, or Ro-Bot, than just a different turret ammunition.

squinters

astigmatic
Kulock said:
What if it didn't just act like a flamethrower? What if, when upgraded, it pelleted out little balls of flame like the Pyro's flare gun? Slower fire rate and less immediate damage, but would still give it long-range ability and pus a stop to initial charges while they panic and retreat to put out the flames.

Still, I'd like to see something more extreme for the sentry alternative. Like the sentry dog, or Ro-Bot, than just a different turret ammunition.
Ok, so just flamethrower at level 1, then gets flare gun at level 2? That could actually work. It would fend off spies while and annoying the heck out of enemy players. Spies would hate it, everybody else would hate it. It's the perfect update!

Sciz said:
PropHunt is all sorts of amazing, give it a try.
Yeah. I had my reservations at first, but after playing for about 3 hours or so tonight I must say that it is really awesome. I'd call it better than the CS:S one, which I thought wouldn't be possible. Having the randomized prop really makes you think about where to go, and it's fun just seeing all the nooks and crannies you can fit your prop into.

Let's just say that Pingu unofficially endorses PropHunt.

roMonster

I came up with an idea for a new rocket launcher. Since crit rockets mean a lot to the soldier (he even says it when he taunts) I though this would be cool.

A launcher that doesn't crit but instead gets a 5 second mini crit charge after killing an enemy (like the KGB but mini).

This would be great against heavy medic pairs since if u kill the medic u have a chance against the heavy. Only problem I see is that it would be overpowered in non crit servers.

Proven

roMonster said:
I came up with an idea for a new rocket launcher. Since crit rockets mean a lot to the soldier (he even says it when he taunts) I though this would be cool.

A launcher that doesn't crit but instead gets a 5 second mini crit charge after killing an enemy (like the KGB but mini).

This would be great against heavy medic pairs since if u kill the medic u have a chance against the heavy. Only problem I see is that it would be overpowered in non crit servers.

Definitely would be overpowered, and it seems more and more like TF2 is moving towards being a no-crit game, with the exception of special weapons. If you wanted a charge, you'd probably do something like make the launcher have less damage per rocket, but after a charge counter reaches a certain point, it starts 100% mini crit rockets. So it'd be like the current random crit method, but weakened and placed into a specific weapon.

Twig

Banned
I never ever ever EVER thought when I started playing TF2 that the sniper would become one of my favorite classes.

cp_gravelpit0001.jpg

I don't care what anyone says. The Huntsman is amazing.

EDIT: That's impossible to read. Frickin' Photobucket. Anyway, 42 points. :D

PropHunt is good fun, they did more to balance it than I was first expecting. (Pyros can't go around just spamming flames.) It's too bad some people exploit viewing angles more than they do hide in plain view cleverly.

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
PropHunt is good fun, they did more to balance it than I was first expecting. (Pyros can't go around just spamming flames.) It's too bad some people exploit viewing angles more than they do hide in plain view cleverly.
That's because people will set everything in plain view on fire, most props are bad (when I played), and after a couple of rounds people with good memories will have memorized exactly where everything is and instantly spot you.

Blizzard said:
That's because people will set everything in plain view on fire, most props are bad (when I played), and after a couple of rounds people with good memories will have memorized exactly where everything is and instantly spot you.
And that's why maps that randomize things are both good and bad. With them it's nearly impossible to tell where anything's going to be, but conversely that also means that they're going to be checking anything and everything.

My favourite so far would have to be ph_warehouse if you've ever played that. Every single round it changes the layout (seems to have four quadrants that have up to 9 different layouts each if the spawn is correct) but it's so cluttered that you have a chance of hiding anywhere.

Denzar

So yeah, I'm always up for some TF2. I don't know if there are GAF specific games and matches but feel free to add me on Steam (if you'd like).

The Steam ID is Deepack. If you can't find me that way, just type in Deepack69 and you'll find me.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TheOneGuy said:
I never ever ever EVER thought when I started playing TF2 that the sniper would become one of my favorite classes.

Snipers....ehhhhhhh....

I don't mind them so long as they actually do something other than stand back and snipe.

Any team with 3 or more snipers is also a freakin drag too.

Blizzard said:

That's why it's more fun that way, to pick a spot that fits the theme of the level and have half-a-dozen pyros run blindly past you, sometimes stopping and staring at everything but you. And after a couple of rounds, the map should change, remembering where every single prop is on some of the more cluttered maps would be quite a challenge.

The props occasionally sucked, but often they were pretty fitting. The only thing that really sucks is the control point prop, you effectively have to be cheating to survive with that.

Proven

TheOneGuy said:

EDIT: That's impossible to read. Frickin' Photobucket. Anyway, 42 points. :D

Somehow, this seems very fitting coming from you.

Sciz

TheOneGuy said:
If it's any consolation, anyone who uses the rifle is still a dirty cheater and should be banned from life.
I take no responsibility for your inability to stay out of my line of sight.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
TheOneGuy said:
I didn't know cheaters had feelings?
Ouch. If it makes you feel any better, I try to avoid shooting gaffers in a match if we end up on opposite teams.

Twig

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Ouch. If it makes you feel any better, I try to avoid shooting gaffers in a match if we end up on opposite teams.
At least you have a conscience! <3

Truly I am simply jealous because I can never be that good. Also I hate dying to sniper rifles more than I hate dying to any other weapon in any competitive game ever.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jangaroo said:
Really? I'd have more incentive to kill them, especially if they are a skilled player. I know I did on the community I play with. I'd sometimes raise a "stacked teams" comment but I enjoyed it because it allowed me to exact some just punishment.

Jangaroo

speedpop said:
Really? I'd have more incentive to kill them, especially if they are a skilled player. I know I did on the community I play with. I'd sometimes raise a "stacked teams" comment but I enjoyed it because it allowed me to exact some just punishment.
Well I've been on a bit of a hiatus in regards to TF2, I haven't played during the entire summer and I just recently found the time to start playing again. I don't remember the names of the gaffers I was playing with, but I wouldn't mind playing you guys again. I really should start looking for a community to play with.

Blizzard

Banned
speedpop said:
I've been using cloak and dagger spy more often in general recently, and since they increased the recharge rate it's been actually pretty fun. I guess I'm still not very effective with it, but at least I'm occasionally sapping buildings and killing people.

At any rate, about the revenge thing, it's definitely sweet sometimes. Nebraska Dan sniped me like three times as a PYRO, on defense or whatever. Why meeeee, why charged bodyshot kills? Finally I got sick of it and just switched to spy, doing very little besides hanging out invisible and occasionally backstabbing him. Got the domination and the achievement for dominating a sniper. :lol

Jangaroo

Blizzard said:
I've been using cloak and dagger spy more often in general recently, and since they increased the recharge rate it's been actually pretty fun. I guess I'm still not very effective with it, but at least I'm occasionally sapping buildings and killing people.

At any rate, about the revenge thing, it's definitely sweet sometimes. Nebraska Dan sniped me like three times as a PYRO, on defense or whatever. Why meeeee, why charged bodyshot kills? Finally I got sick of it and just switched to spy, doing very little besides hanging out invisible and occasionally backstabbing him. Got the domination and the achievement for dominating a sniper. :lol
That's dedication right there. Nothing is more satisfying than squirming your way into enemy territory, remain unseen, and wait ever so patiently for the dominating sniper to let his guard down.

Cheeto

Orbitcube said:
Ugh I hate pl_frontier. It's nearly impossible for the attacking team to win ever. The map is so long winded and UGH. I really dislike it.
Is that the payload map that ends in the pit that can be guarded by 20 sentries in a 360 degree area? If so, screw that map

Cheeto said:
Is that the payload map that ends in the pit that can be guarded by 20 sentries in a 360 degree area? If so, screw that map
Er, it might be. You might also be thinking of pl_badwater. Turns out I was thinking of the wrong map. I was thinking of pl_swiftwater. Strangely I have pl_frontier in my maps folder but I've never actually played on it.

Cheeto

Orbitcube said:
Er, it might be. You might also be thinking of pl_badwater. Turns out I was thinking of the wrong map. I was thinking of pl_swiftwater. Strangely I have pl_frontier in my maps folder but I've never actually played on it.
Nah, badwater is a valve official map...and it isn't nearly as broken as the map I'm mentioning.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
All the unofficial pl_ maps I've played have been real bad design wise and stability wise. It's a shame, pl_ is easily my favorite gametype. It's all I play really.

is there any official unofficial GAF server that everyone plays on?

Twig

Banned
Cheeto said:
If that's the map I'm thinking of, I've managed to break up sentry farms almost single-handedly multiple times. It's not as difficult as you might think.

On the other hand, it could be a different map, but it sounds like the same one.

Proven

Swiftwater... I've only played on it a handful of times, but all of my friends who've played on it more hate it too. I like all the different ways to move around with both high ground and low ground, but many of the high ground routes feel impractical to hold other than to ensure/block an extra passageway for your team/enemy when you get desperate. The map moves almost too quickly until you get to the end, at which point it just feels like people running around on both sides like their heads are cut off without the cart making any noticeable movement until suddenly the game is over.

Now that I think about it, the only reason I liked it was because it was open but with enough cover to dodge snipers, and used the Alpine set. Pretty much the main reason I took to Yukon.

Jangaroo

LAUGHTREY said:
All the unofficial pl_ maps I've played have been real bad design wise and stability wise. It's a shame, pl_ is easily my favorite gametype. It's all I play really.

This interests me.

Twig

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
Not really.

The servers I play on regularly are F7 Lans, and 2fort2furious.

A lot of people hate 2f2f. I submit that these people are party-poopers.

I also played on an OC Remix server the other day with fallout and Sciz. But I dunno maybe that was a chance meeting and not somewhere Sciz plays regularly. HE'D HAVE TO WEIGH IN ON THAT.

I miss when we had an official GAF server and everyone played there. );

P.S. I love the payload race map. It is one of my favorites. Dunno the name though.

Twig

Banned
Cheeto said:
Ya me too! >:|
Hahaha.

Is your server still up? I'd totally play there if other people would commit to it as well. D:

Halloween update caught me totally by surprise. Does that mean I have to unlock those hats before Octobor 2nd? D: D:

Cheeto

TheOneGuy said:
Hahaha.

Is your server still up? I'd totally play there if other people would commit to it as well. D:

Halloween update caught me totally by surprise. Does that mean I have to unlock those hats before Octobor 2nd? D: D:
Nah, it was too hard to keep it populated... and there's a million and a half other servers to join on...so its no big deal.

TP

Did Valve increase the hat drop rate? im playing in a server where everybody has found two or three hats, it's amazing :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom