• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
MicVlaD said:
KOTH_Harvest performance problem is also fixed with this new hat-accompanied mini-update.
Hat accompanied?

EDIT: Doh, just read Blizzard's post. Huh! I'm not a fan of these kinds of bonuses. I hate when shit is exclusive to a select group of people. \:

Oh well.

Blizzard

Banned
By the way, after a couple of months without it (presumably accidentally deleted it because I thought I had a duplicate), I finally got Natascha back. Now I just need a good sniper to team up with me to try my slowdown+headshot strategy! :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MicVlaD said:
KOTH_Harvest performance problem is also fixed with this new hat-accompanied mini-update.
Awesome, that performace thingy was annoying the fuck out of me

Won

Gexecuter said:
yeah :/ hopefully you can get the hat at a later time if you buy Left for dead 2 in the future.

Don't really care about the hat itself. Just disliking how Valve handles the L4D franchise and now they are dragging TF2 into that too.....

benjipwns

Banned
Teetris said:
Awesome, that performace thingy was annoying the fuck out of me
I found it more annoying trying to tell people that it'd go away after a few minutes as they endlessly bitched over VOIP.

They'd all bitch spam for five minutes, then leave the server just as it went away.

Nobody seemed to grasp that it was happening to everyone, so just dick around or whatever until it stopped.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Yay, Bill hat! Although I sympathized with the non-preorder people since I don't have the Soldier medal. Hopefully they'll extend it to people who end up purchasing L4D2. (And hopefully they'll let people get the medal with some Soldier achievement!)

Won said:
Don't really care about the hat itself. Just disliking how Valve handles the L4D franchise and now they are dragging TF2 into that too.....
I don't understand. How are they handling TF2 like L4D?

Twig

Banned
fallengorn said:
I don't understand. How are they handling TF2 like L4D?
I think he's just talking about how the L4D2 bat is only available to people who preorder, just like the Bill hat now.

It's not a direct correlation though.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
TheOneGuy said:
I think he's just talking about how the L4D2 bat is only available to people who preorder, just like the Bill hat now.

It's not a direct correlation though.
Ah... At least with the bat, if you're playing with someone who has it, you'll be able to use it. And it's not like there's only 3 melee items in the game, there's a ton to choose from.

Not justifying it, but the bat isn't the worse pre-order exclusive item. Maybe for the next Valve game, they'll just send out Saxton Hale postcards.

Twig

Banned
You're right, it's not the worst. There have been much worse, and there will continue to be.

Still, I tend to agree with the general distaste for preorder bonuses. I'm sure it's a good marketing strategy but meh. It's dumb.

roMonster

So when is the KOTH Harvest event gonna end? (wasn't it suppose to be the 2nd?)

The KOTH server I play on is still running it 24/7.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
roMonster said:
So when is the KOTH Harvest event gonna end? (wasn't it suppose to be the 2nd?)

The KOTH server I play on is still running it 24/7.
I'm sure servers will keep it running for a while, it's a great map.

roMonster

Hazaro said:
I'm sure servers will keep it running for a while, it's a great map.

Its a decent enough map (nucleus is my favorite) --I just want the rotation.

On the topic of Bills Hat in TF2--they should just go ahead and combine the two games for L4D3 (which I'm sure they'll push out next year). I'd love to play as Solly and kill a swarm of Scoots, boss Hoovies, and surprise Paro attacks.

Gexecuter said:
yeah :/ hopefully you can get the hat at a later time if you buy Left for dead 2 in the future.
Why? Because you're too stingy to pre-purchase the game? If anything, it's just a nice little bonus for those who are willing to be early adopters.

Proven

The Question Mark said:
So with the Halloween map still running, does that mean that I still can get the achievements?

Until the 9th. Then the update goes down, and the only achievement you can still get afterward is the Gibus.

Oreoleo

Can someone with a bit more knowledge than I help me out with choke?

I just switched ISP's a few weeks ago (400KB/s DSL upgraded to 1.5MB/s cable :D).

Choke was never an issue before with my DSL. I'd get a little bit at the beginning and end of rounds but during gameplay it was smooth as silk. I messed around a bit with the choke settings anyway...

NOW, despite having a better connection just about every server I go in gives me massive choke. Like, constantly in the 40's or 50's. On F7Lans, god bless them, I still only spike once in a while to 10 or 20 or so choke but that's still unacceptable IMO.

I assume I have something set wrong to get such high choke on other servers, does anyone have any solid numbers to set for rate, cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate?? Maybe there's a 4th variable I'm unaware of? Maybe there's a way to reset them to default? Prease help me :(

FWIW, I just got a new router yesterday (Linksys WRT54GL) and put DD-WRT on it so if there's any neato settings I can change in there to improve performance I'd love to hear about that too. I opened ports for Steam but that's basically it.

1-D_FTW

Orellio said:
Can someone with a bit more knowledge than I help me out with choke?

I just switched ISP's a few weeks ago (400KB/s DSL upgraded to 1.5MB/s cable :D).

Choke was never an issue before with my DSL. I'd get a little bit at the beginning and end of rounds but during gameplay it was smooth as silk. I messed around a bit with the choke settings anyway...

NOW, despite having a better connection just about every server I go in gives me massive choke. Like, constantly in the 40's or 50's. On F7Lans, god bless them, I still only spike once in a while to 10 or 20 or so choke but that's still unacceptable IMO.

I assume I have something set wrong to get such high choke on other servers, does anyone have any solid numbers to set for rate, cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate?? Maybe there's a 4th variable I'm unaware of? Maybe there's a way to reset them to default? Prease help me :(

FWIW, I just got a new router yesterday (Linksys WRT54GL) and put DD-WRT on it so if there's any neato settings I can change in there to improve performance I'd love to hear about that too. I opened ports for Steam but that's basically it.

From my internet searches I've found there's all kinds of variables. For me, it was all about rate. I just run net_graph and screw with rate until it goes away. Some servers are good at 30,000. Some 50,000 or 60,000. And the occasional beast that won't be tamed unless I set it at 100,000. cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate are supposed to be the ones that play a bigger role, but these did nothing for me.

1-D_FTW

I tend to adjust by chunks of 5000. I think you can have problems going too high (just like too low.) I've found that's a good number. Start at 30,000 and just see how it's reacting to find the best spot.

ecnal

30K is the max client rate.

and servers lock users rates depending on their quality. e.g., if a server is a 66tick server, your max cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate will also be 66.

the best rates, assuming the server allows for it and your connection is good, are 30K rate, 100 cmdrate and 100 (this may be able to go to 101)updaterate. those are the maximum values--theoretically maxing your client's send/receive rates.

choke, in all steam games, is always when your PC can't handle the updaterate that you have set--aka your PC is falling behind the server's game environment (fps or connection speed).

make sure your FPS isn't dipping below your updaterate, and make sure your connection is capable of sending the max rates.

you should be fine starting out with base rates of 25K, and cmdrate and updaterate at 66. then increase or decrease based on performance.

1-D_FTW

ecnal said:
30K is the max client rate.

and servers lock users rates depending on their quality. e.g., if a server is a 66tick server, your max cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate will also be 66.

the best rates, assuming the server allows for it and your connection is good, are 30K rate, 100 cmdrate and 100 (this may be able to go to 101)updaterate. those are the maximum values--theoretically maxing your client's send/receive rates.

choke, in all steam games, is always when your PC can't handle the updaterate that you have set--aka your PC is falling behind the server's game environment (fps or connection speed).

make sure your FPS isn't dipping below your updaterate, and make sure your connection is capable of sending the max rates.

you should be fine starting out with base rates of 25K, and cmdrate and updaterate at 66. then increase or decrease based on performance.

That's what the literature says, but the only thing that worked was rate for me. L4D was broken. Nothing registered. It didn't know where I was and was constantly giving me worst case scenario guesses. TF2 bottomed out when I couldn't get a single kill as a soldier and getting an assist kill with a scout even though my rocket gibbed him. And rate was the only thing that eliminated it. I know it flies against all the guides, but it's the only thing that unbroke Valve games (L4D was a lot worse than TF2) on my cable connection.

ecnal

1-D_FTW said:
That's what the literature says, but the only thing that worked was rate for me. L4D was broken. Nothing registered. It didn't know where I was and was constantly giving me worst case scenario guesses. TF2 bottomed out when I couldn't get a single kill as a soldier and getting an assist kill with a scout even though my rocket gibbed him. And rate was the only thing that eliminated it. I know it flies against all the guides, but it's the only thing that unbroke Valve games (L4D was a lot worse than TF2) on my cable connection.

well, rate is a huge part of the equation as well. for instance, if you were playing with a 5,000 rate, you're going to experience lag and serious registration issues.

general rule of thumb though is that updaterate has the most impact on actual performance--registration, FPS, lag, etc. that is assuming that your rate is already set accordingly.

also, if you're experiencing issues with registration even with appropriate rates, set your cl_interp to 0--the game will then automatically figure out your ping to the server and set your interp accordingly. the game defaults interp to .1, which, if anyone has played any half-life games competitively, isn't always the best setting for registration/hit detection. OR, if you want to skip this entirely, .01 is a far better interp setting--especially for sniping and scouting (and other steam games as well; L4D, CS, DoD, etc).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Those videos for TF2Tactics were fun to watch through. I knew all of the Soldier things from my own personal experiences, but it was nice to see some Engineer and Spy tactics that even I hadn't learned or mastered yet. It was also nice to see some tests done on the viability between the Sniper Rifle and Huntsman on SGs - only time I ever use the damn class is to annoy Engineers so it's worthwhile to view the fact that the Rifle is better for those scenarios.

His Demoman defense on the last map of Gold Rush video was spot on though. Any Medic should know that if you've got a good Demo on your D in that map to stick close to him throughout it. Add some Kritz to spice it up and you're laughing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
speedpop said:
Damn. I miss this game :(

So many fun nights with it.

Can't play anymore? I need to try and join the same server your one, shoot you in the head a few times :D

Over the past week i've gotten back into TF2, started playing a heck of alot. Before this week i don't think i had played it in a month +

Halloween map is so much fun as a sniper :lol

speedpop

Nah my PC has gone to the coffers. I plan on getting a decent gaming laptop within the next month or so and I'll be back.

But you know where to find me usually - Internode 32 player server baby!

1-D_FTW

ecnal said:
well, rate is a huge part of the equation as well. for instance, if you were playing with a 5,000 rate, you're going to experience lag and serious registration issues.

general rule of thumb though is that updaterate has the most impact on actual performance--registration, FPS, lag, etc. that is assuming that your rate is already set accordingly.

also, if you're experiencing issues with registration even with appropriate rates, set your cl_interp to 0--the game will then automatically figure out your ping to the server and set your interp accordingly. the game defaults interp to .1, which, if anyone has played any half-life games competitively, isn't always the best setting for registration/hit detection. OR, if you want to skip this entirely, .01 is a far better interp setting--especially for sniping and scouting (and other steam games as well; L4D, CS, DoD, etc).

Yeah. I don't know what my original rate was that was giving me problems. My choke was going into the 50s in TF2 when I finally took action. I originally messed with the other settings without success. Then I tried lower figures on rate thinking it was too high (since that's what seemed logical.) Out of desperation I angrily typed in a higher rate and bang! I'm pretty sure I originally settled that 20,000 in L4D and 25,000 in TF2 eliminated the huge problems. And then from there, I began creeping up with the numbers. Maybe part of it is a placebo effect, but it really does seem like some servers work best at 50000 or 60000 for me. And when I googled rates, I saw some evidence that others were setting theirs at that.

I'll have to look at interp settings though. I'm not locked at 0 for choke (though I figured fluctuation was natural) and L4D does feel like it could be tweaked a little better still for me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn that was a good game! :lol

35kl8uv.jpg

guidop

speedpop said:
Nah my PC has gone to the coffers. I plan on getting a decent gaming laptop within the next month or so and I'll be back.

But you know where to find me usually - Internode 32 player server baby!

Same server i play on. We should get some AusGAF games going

Oreoleo

Thanks to ecnal and 1-D_FTW for the help. I think I got everything sorted out. After tweaking things a bit my choke rarely gets higher than 5 or 7 and actually sits at 0 whereas before just walking around would bounce it into the teens. So thanks again, couldn't have done it without you :D

1-D_FTW

Yeah. I went and finally turned up my cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate and I'm mostly locked to 0 for my choke now. I guess I wrote it off earlier because my rate was so low, it wasn't making any difference to raise those.

I just typed in sv_maxrate (tells you server max of rate) and my favorite server was set at 60000 and my second choice was set at 50000. So I guess it wasn't in my head after all. I guessed those rates dead on without knowing that command.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've settled into playing offensive engie and defensive pyro now mostly.

I feel I don't have to play intense when I'm doing either of these so it's nice.

Scouts need to learn their place on pl_ maps :D
21nh8ig.jpg

speedpop

Good mix. I love going offensive Engi, it really breaks the pace of what a normal Engineer is. Plus I love any defensive Pyro since that is my own playstyle when doing that class.

Only a month or more till I can play this damn game once again.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
speedpop said:
Good mix. I love going offensive Engi, it really breaks the pace of what a normal Engineer is. Plus I love any defensive Pyro since that is my own playstyle when doing that class.

Only a month or more till I can play this damn game once again.
Yeah I basically lounge around spraying everything with fire and chilling with the engies.
Sometimes I airblast rocket or ubers and that's it.

Got 1st playing Offensive Engie in 2 rounds today too.

Proven

Hazaro said:
Yeah I basically lounge around spraying everything with fire and chilling with the engies.
Sometimes I airblast rocket or ubers and that's it.

Got 1st playing Offensive Engie in 2 rounds today too.

Ha, this is what I do much of the time if I'm not Medic or Soldier.

Still need Medics, and as long as I can get a friend or two to join me I enjoy being an aggressive medic. You don't actually have to attack, just know how to decoy.

I pretty much just play pocket Soldier though. Do all the things I would do as a Pyro, but can rocket jump to certain places to lay down fire where I've been frustrated trying to flank as a Pyro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom