• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Played for about 30 minutes

this dropped:

339ivlc.jpg

I love it.

snack

SalsaShark said:

this dropped:

http://i48.tinypic.com/339ivlc.jpg[IMG]

I love it.[/QUOTE]
Skulcutter dropped for me while I was in game a while ago. Haven't used it yet though. Seems like something a devil would use.

Sciz

SalsaShark said:

this dropped:

I love it.
It seems mostly like a way to tag spies without having to use Jarate.

I personally do way too much kukri killing to give up the direct damage. :(

derFeef

Some fantastic stuff in there. I am short before my first (random) hat crafting. I hope I do not get a spy hat as I do not play him. I am in fear to press the button.

edit: And I am so making me an axe!

Salsa

Sciz said:
It seems mostly like a way to tag spies without having to use Jarate.

I personally do way too much kukri killing to give up the direct damage. :(

I actually got like 2 kills from the bleeding :D

MNC

SalsaShark said:
I actually got like 2 kills from the bleeding :D
Yeah, it's awesome :D They do need to handle it like a fire though ; it needs a new kill icon(uses arrows for now) medics need to be able to see who's properly bleeding and amidst the battle that's pretty hard. Although, maybe just stay this way, as that's the payoff for such a short range weapon.

I have an annoying problem with TF2.

I play on 1280x1024 and whenever I hit TAB on a server with > 10 players, the player list doesn't fit on the screen.

Is there any easy way to change the font size on the TAB screen?

Oreoleo

perryfarrell said:
I have an annoying problem with TF2.

I play on 1280x1024 and whenever I hit TAB on a server with > 10 players, the player list doesn't fit on the screen.

Is there any easy way to change the font size on the TAB screen?

There are mods that you can get for this that won't kick you off VAC servers or anything... I only found this out like a week ago and I don't have any though :(

-

Also: Still getting that hitching :(

Twig

Banned
Hm, I have a problem with TF2 that I used to think wasn't just TF2 - it was my video card or something. But since I recently started going through my backlog (at an alarming rate!), it has yet to happen with other games.

Every now and then (usually once a night if I play that night), it seems like my video card drivers will straight up crash. Sound loop shit, then screen goes black, then TF2 goes white. Sometimes it will recover, and others it will just plain break TF2 and I'll have to restart.

Ideas? D:

Inkwell

Banned
Twig said:
Hm, I have a problem with TF2 that I used to think wasn't just TF2 - it was my video card or something. But since I recently started going through my backlog (at an alarming rate!), it has yet to happen with other games.

Every now and then (usually once a night if I play that night), it seems like my video card drivers will straight up crash. Sound loop shit, then screen goes black, then TF2 goes white. Sometimes it will recover, and others it will just plain break TF2 and I'll have to restart.

Ideas? D:
This happens to me too. I have an 8800GT. Only happens with TF2.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Twig said:

Ideas? D:

Seems like it may be the nvlddmkm error. There are many 'fixes' out there but none have worked for me. My nvlddmkm error is because of overheating.

I have an 8800GTX. It's a well known issue, there's even a site nvlddmkm.com.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Play it in a window?

I had an 8800GTS and got a ton of these errors as well. Had no real fix, just a restart, that is until my vid card simply blew up :p

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Play it in a window?

I had an 8800GTS and got a ton of these errors as well. Had no real fix, just a restart, that is until my vid card simply blew up :p

Yeah, I've had these errors for almost 2 years now. Luckily it doesn't require a restart, just alt tab out and back in. I die a lot because of it though. haha

Oreoleo

Kuro Madoushi said:
that is until my vid card simply blew up :p

Yeah :( RIP 8800GTS.

Say, does anyone know how Valve handles the weekly limit for items? Specifically, does anyone know when in the week the play time resets so you can get more items?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, why is my TF2 client always crashing on map changes? This is getting frustrating, especially with all the map votes. :lol

commissar

TF2Maps.net said:
"CTF in Team Fortress 2 is a spamfest!", said the CTF-haters. We thought it was time to change that mindset. Now you have 26 ways to prove the nay-sayers wrong! All of these maps were designed from the ground up to fix what doesn't work in competitive Capture The Flag; you definitely won't feel like you're playing 2fort here!
This intrigued me a lot. So I sallied forth and come back with some uh..intelligence.

Note! I only ran around these for a while as scout, and haven't yet properly played them. But I want to and so this is my "add some to the playlist plz" pitch :>

These are my pick of the bunch from the above 26 ctf maps which you can find here. There's some other great maps in there, I just happened to choose the ones I want to jump around in the most.

Also note that these are balanced for competitive play, so chances are it could easily dissolve into 12v12 scoots on pub, I dunno.

ctf_cesspool

So there's a couple of missing textures in the central area, and there seem to be some hardout choke points, but with the 3 minute countdown ticking, and the only way to gain time is by capturing the enemy intelligence to gain more time this should be madness.
I love the architecture, it's a neat place to be.

ctf_cloudburst

Got plenty of space, should be a fun map. Interestingly the ice makes a noise like a tin roof when you walk on it, to help against deadly spies. Nice little touches of humour, and somewhat reminds me of Metroid Prime with it's chunky stone protuberances and holes.

ctf_converge

So you take the neutral intelligence in the centre of the map all the way into the enemies base to the Manne-Frame 3000.
Not only is the nature of the flag different to your usual CTF map, this map is beautiful with a nice flow. Seriously check it out. This is in my top 3 want to play.

ctf_deliverance

The atmosphere in this map is brilliant. There's a coming storm, the very environment itself feels hostile and I get this hurried feeling of not wanting to be around when the storm hits. I hope this guy moves into singleplayer mapping too, we could have the next Shalebridge Cradle :>
Like ctf_converge, this is a neutral intelligence to the enemies GIANT DRILL :D
Filled with care and attention to detail, there's lots of twists and turns, and little craggy paths, this should have some great plays. Downloooad!
This only just misses out on my top 3 (or 1!), purely because it makes me feel uneasy :s

ctf_gumption

Alpine owns so hard, this map has an interesting centre battleground, some cool little side areas, and two bizarrely uninteresting rooms before you hit the intelligence sitting in a train carriage.

ctf_landfall

MASSIVE TREES. I was kind of hoping to meet an NPC and purchase some herbs, but alas it's a just a tight map with a rad environment. How you could check those screenshots and not be downloading right now blows my mind. Top 3.

ctf_mercy

This map is tight. First thing you see out of spawn are clear colours of where to go, and bam! you're in the thick of it. Plenty of detail and love are in here, and the whole thing seems to be finely tuned. This map rounds out my top 3.

ctf_mexico

There is so much detail and care in this map its scary. Each room has something interesting to look at, from wooden cow storage to furnaces to broken windows and opened air ducts. There's a definite atmosphere about the place and unfortunately it's somewhat schizophrenic. The inside feels like this crazy facility like in Jurassic Park, and yet the outside is this weird sort of farm/lumberyard/mexico thing going on.
This was the map I had the hardest time cutting down to 3 screenshots, so I tried to show the main areas. Impressive stuff.

ctf_norma
A rad exterior with the over/under and some sniper cover, coupled with some long ass corridors and an oddly massive intelligence room implies easy access to intelligence, the battle is getting away with it. There's also a bright pink tractor near Red's base.

ctf_overlook

I think this map will be great, it's got cool height changes and a nice little touch with the administrator and feels very well polished. Definitely check this out.

ctf_wiretap

Plenty of routes in and out, it's going to take some strategically placed engies and good communication to effectively protect your wiretap from being stolen by the enemy.
Feels like a really solid map to play on, the interiors are wonderfully detailed, and the whole wiretapping theme is great. I hope there's some additional tweaking of the rocks and ground outside just to make it a touch more interesting (tire tracks from the garage), but that's more due to how cool the interiors are. A very impressive map.

So that's it. Hopefully I've inspired enough of you to download some and check them out. It would be rad if we could have some second opinions and/or vote a few onto the server if Java's cool with it.
We never play CTF, now is the time!

Ultimatum

Banned
Some of those maps looks really nice. I've downloaded the pack, but have yet to play any of them. They are made for 6v6 though, so we'd have to find which ones work 12v12 too.

Javaman

That's a whole lot of maps in a small pack. 26 only takes up 350megs. I'll get your top three on the server for tonight. Let;s make Saturday nights a custom map night.

Javaman

Ultimatum said:
Let's make Saturday nights early nights.

Wish I could, but the earliest I can really play is 10ish Est. Any of the admins though (Kuro, n0b, Twig, Sciz, Oreo, Anjin etc) can get things started though if they're on.

Ultimatum said:
The files are larger once they are uncompressed. Although most of them still aren't that large.

As long as they are under 64megs people won't have trouble dling them from the server. Hopefully most of the regulars will just download the pack to avoid the hassle altogether.

Edit: They're not compressed in the zip and only range from 5megs to 25. Nice.

rar

Javaman said:
Wish I could, but the earliest I can really play is 10ish Est. Any of the admins though (Kuro, n0b, Twig, Sciz, Oreo, Anjin etc) can get things started though if they're on.

i should be able to start it early tonight

Ultimatum

Banned
hmm cool :p I won't be able to play too late since I have 2 exams on Monday D:

Also, can you just use the bsp.bz2 files? If so, awesome. But if you can only use bsp files then the largest one is 66 megs (slushway).

Anyway, can't wait to test these maps :) ctf has always been one of my favourite modes.

Sciz

Javaman said:
As long as they are under 64megs people won't have trouble dling them from the server. Hopefully most of the regulars will just download the pack to avoid the hassle altogether.

Edit: They're not compressed in the zip and only range from 5megs to 25. Nice.
They won't have trouble, but the download speed still sucks. D:

Wish we could find someone willing to donate some webspace for off-server hosting.

Blizzard

Banned
I just downloaded and unzipped that CTF map pack. Do I need to manually unzip the .bz2 files as well? Would it decrease map loading time if I did so? :p

Javaman

Sciz said:
They won't have trouble, but the download speed still sucks. D:

Wish we could find someone willing to donate some webspace for off-server hosting.

That's an option, but gameservers now charges $5 to allow you to redirect downloads to some other server. How lame? So lame. It's not much money, but I refuse for the principle.

Blizzard said:
I just downloaded and unzipped that CTF map pack. Do I need to manually unzip the .bz2 files as well? Would it decrease map loading time if I did so? :p

Hmmm. I'm not sure. usually the bz2 files are server side and the client automatically uncompresses them. Can you load any of the maps if you put them straight into your folder?

IIRC I need to put both bz2 and the uncompressed bsp files on the server.

Edit: Yep, you have to uncompress each one when putting it into your maps folder.

I'm going to add ctf_converge_b1, ctf_landfall_b1 and ctf_mercy_b6 to the admin map lists. It might work with RTV as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey TF2 GAF, two questions for all of you:

1) Where do you guys get your skin and model mods for TF2?

2) What TF2 server is the GAF server? I found one but no one was playing at the time. Favourited it regardless.

Javaman

enzo_gt said:
Hey TF2 GAF, two questions for all of you:

1) Where do you guys get your skin and model mods for TF2?

2) What TF2 server is the GAF server? I found one but no one was playing at the time. Favourited it regardless.

68.232.178.184:27015 is the unoffical GAF server but it usually doesn't get busy until the 9pm EST. Once going it tends to last until 1 or 2 am.

Also guys, I'm adding the newer version of Desperados...

http://fpsbanana14.tsgk.com/maps/148/cp_desperados_b2.rar

commissar

^^ Desperados acquired. Do we have suitable western music? :3

Blizz: you'll need them as a .bsp in your map folder, so please unzip.

GAF TF2 CTF NIGHT FILES HERE
ctf_converge, ctf_landfall & ctf_mercy
zSHARE
Rapidshare (Max 10 transfers)
Alternately all are smaller than 64MB so you can also get them from the server if necessary.

If you can't extract a .7z file, you can find 7zip here.

Alternately download the whole 26 map pack here (350MB)

Yay CTF! Now to hope this doesn't backfire horribly D:

Blizzard

Banned
Tisan said:

Blizz: you'll need them as a .bsp in your map folder, so please unzip.

GAF TF2 CTF NIGHT FILES HERE
ctf_converge, ctf_landfall & ctf_mercy
zSHARE
Rapidshare (Max 10 transfers)
Alternately all are smaller than 64MB so you can also get them from the server if necessary.

If you can't extract a .7z file, you can find 7zip here.

Alternately download the whole 26 map pack here (350MB)

Yay CTF! Now to hope this doesn't backfire horribly D:
Hey, better than the "all 5-point capture scout maps all the time" night we had last night, and then they voted to EXTEND. ;p
Yes I know you can use different classes, but if you don't have engineers it's so slow to walk. And I think both granary and well may have had complete stalemates a couple of times that night? I came on late and missed payload, though I might have gotten to play steel/gravelpit before the 2-way capture maps kicked in.

Also convoy is a CTF map. ;_____;

Requesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0wPBYDQ6Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub5p1aKUkxg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0-wbXC3pQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPgZbRTEvr0

And so forth.

commissar

Ultimatum said:
Some of those maps looks really nice. I've downloaded the pack, but have yet to play any of them. They are made for 6v6 though, so we'd have to find which ones work 12v12 too.
Mercy is more 6v6, so we'll see how it goes. Converge has plenty of space, and landfall should hopefully be alright with more players.

That said, realistically how many people will be likely to get the maps and then play anyway?
Considering how rare it is to have anything more than 4v4 on cashworks these days we might be pushing it with even 6v6 :0

Hopefully it'll work out.

yes! gogo cactus man!

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
nah cactus man is better by far

and you also hate cp so it's not like your opinion matters
I generally dislike two-way capture point maps! (see lazytown for another example of that) Steel and gravelpit and gorge are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom