• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commissar

gah client crash D:

Sorry dog chasing cars :( Good little battle though.

Gotta have lunch and head into town for a bit, but I'll be back later!

Ultimatum

Banned
So how were the maps? I played converge with two other people, but then needed to sleep :p It has a good concept, I like that there's only one intel, but I'm not sure about the map itself. Once you get the intel you get crits, so it's much easier to kill everyone you see, get the intel, and repeat.

Inkwell

Banned
Ultimatum said:
So how were the maps? I played converge with two other people, but then needed to sleep :p It has a good concept, I like that there's only one intel, but I'm not sure about the map itself. Once you get the intel you get crits, so it's much easier to kill everyone you see, get the intel, and repeat.
I didn't realize you get crits from the intel. I'm not sure if I like the level layout of some of these ctf maps. Everything feels so tightly packed together with lots of narrow hallways. Landfall is a bit more open than the others, but it definitely feels like it would be best with a reduced player count.

Blizzard

Banned
Did you all finally play them? I went to bed after 1 a.m. but I don't think I ever saw much besides granary/hydro/maybe cashworks being played. :lol

Inkwell

Banned
We cycled through the maps earlier, before the server started to fill up (around 7-8 est). I wasn't on late, so I don't know if everyone eventually played them.

Ultimatum

Banned
Inkwell said:
I didn't realize you get crits from the intel. I'm not sure if I like the level layout of some of these ctf maps. Everything feels so tightly packed together with lots of narrow hallways. Landfall is a bit more open than the others, but it definitely feels like it would be best with a reduced player count.
I phrased that badly. What I meant was when you secure the intel, your whole team gets crits for a few seconds.

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
The late night game that finally got going dissolved after a while without touching anything new. :(
I remain unsurprised.

You people fucking love playing the same goddamn maps over and over and over and you don't want to try new maps ebcause it might kill the server godihateyou

):

Sciz

Twig said:
I remain unsurprised.

You people fucking love playing the same goddamn maps over and over and over and you don't want to try new maps ebcause it might kill the server godihateyou

):
Because new maps don't play so well when only five guys can actually load it up. :(

On the other hand I can barely get people to ever spring for a non-Pacman KotH map or Doublecross, so I may just have to start enforcing my will on the peasantry.

MicVlaD said:
Nothing related to what's been discussed over the course of the last few pages, but I'm going to pull a Twig and post some video's like a dirty self-promoter:

Heavy so fat
I love pulling off physical blocks. Especially when you can manage to get between an uber medic and his partner, and the medic just gets left behind as the other guy gleefully wanders into a sentry or something.

Yasae

Banned
Sciz said:
I have more Western-flavored music than I thought.

None of that, though!

(at least for now, we'll see; perhaps next time)
You can prevent aliasing from ringing out by low-passing before a sample conversion.

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
Because new maps don't play so well when only five guys can actually load it up. :(
Yeah, I know, I understand it, but it doesn't make me a happy camper.

I realllly wish we could get map-downloading set up on the server. I understand the extra costs, but it would go a long way toward making the server the best it can be. Even moreso than removing the "extend" option from votes.
On the other hand I can barely get people to ever spring for a non-Pacman KotH map or Doublecross, so I may just have to start enforcing my will on the peasantry.
This is basically why I'm all for setting up a rotation and getting rid of end-of-map votes altogether. Then let admins set up the novelty maps if they feel like it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't fucking understand the desire to play the same fucking maps over and over every night when there are so many available... and very few of them are complete and utter shit. Very few.

If you want to play Dustbowl all the time, go find a 24/7 Dustbowl server.

god i hate high pinging snipers, no, not bitch about LC getting hit behind a wall, bitching about LC showing you a sniper ghost that "just" moved outta cover (when in actuality he moved 3 seconds ago, aimed, and probably fired a shot).

fucking hate it. get a better isp or country christ.

this was directed at no one in this thread , I just needed to vent without getting banned in a goldrush server.

Yasae

Banned
I would highly recommend extracting all maps from their bsp archives. Maps don't even seem to work one folder directory deep, even if they're in the correct parent directory.

(C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\[Username]\team fortress 2\tf\maps)

TP

Finally tried some of the new maps

CTF Nuetral, forgot the map name, but that looks like it can be fun. Intelligence must be taken into the opposite teams base to score.

The others...I just kept thinking how much they would drag out once a few engineers set up

Cowboys and Indians on Desperados is fun!

Sciz

I am liking the new pyro.

bg7ivr.jpg

Yasae said:
You can prevent aliasing from ringing out by low-passing before a sample conversion.
I sort of know what you're talking about, but for clarity's sake let's go over the specifics. D:

Yasae

Banned
Sciz said:
I sort of know what you're talking about, but for clarity's sake let's go over the specifics. D:
Truncation doesn't involve filters like normal conversion would. That's why you get some distortion in the upper end of frequencies allowed at the given samplerate - in this case 11kHz, so frequencies up to 5,500 Hz are allowed. Sometimes that creates a faux aliasing from such a steep cutoff (in this case no cutoff at all,) and resonances are produced at octaves and overtones down the line.

Xenosaga Ep. 3 had a lot of its dialogue truncated with no low-pass. That's why the top end sounds a bit gritty and distorted, though they were likely using 22.05 kHz as a samplerate and that allowed a greater range of frequencies (up to 11,025 Hz.) It saves space with a game which has lots of audio. In fact, converting an uncompressed audio file from CD quality to 11 KHz sampling, mono reduced the file size by a whopping 38,497 bytes, or about 87.5%. Podcast authors have picked up on this too...

I can't hear any of this in TF2, and it's less noticeable at relatively low samplerates such as these, but isolated it always bothered me. I'd rather low-pass around the maximum allowable frequency and lose a touch of fidelity in that band from the cutoff slope than have distortion.

Yasae

Banned
Okay then. Image dump incoming.

Trigger for scout on laughing gas:
ctf_convoy_v20024.jpg

Where are you...
cp_desperados_b20018.jpg

The whole Bits' N Kaboodle:
GAFJavamanislookinggood_0008.jpg

"When's that engineer update coming?"
ezekial.jpg

The custom maps I played were quite good. If we could slowly get them into regular rotation, that would be heavenly.

Boonoo

Valve should make AD/CTF an official mode. It's fun, and more people should play it. I think that it works a lot better than payload.

Javaman

I'd like to see cashworks show up as an official map. Twig, I think part of the problem with people avoiding new maps is the lack of familiarity with them. There's just something more comfortable with playing maps people know inside and out. I hated steel until I learned the layout pretty well and how to counter what the other team tends to do. New CTF maps can be easily exploited by a single player or two that know a secret sentry spot or a hidden path that lets scouts or someone run loops to the enemy flag.

Sciz

I actually managed to get on a nearly full server running mercy_b6 earlier. A little chaotic, but it seemed to play well enough; not too hard to attack, and not too hard to defend either.

Twig

Banned
The only way to learn is to play.

So... excuses! They are not wanted! Ignore the whiny babies and bring on the new maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom