• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
too bad every time i join I don't feel like playing and quit immediately
Oh yeah. :(

As long as everyone is in complaining mode, the only maps that I feel really make me want to ragequit when they come up for 15 minutes are hydro/well/badlands/granary/pretty much anything else with multiple two-way capture points.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Oh yeah. :(

As long as everyone is in complaining mode, the only maps that I feel really make me want to ragequit when they come up for 15 minutes are hydro/well/badlands/granary/pretty much anything else with multiple two-way capture points.

Bummer! Those are my favorite style. I like the back and forth since both teams really get to play a lot more aggressively than they would in a payload or static attack/defend.

What don't you like about them--I'm curious because it seems a lot of people are pretty down of that style.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
actually blizzard i just hate playing with you ):

ps you have the worst taste out of everyone on the server D:
Well I guess it's time for me to stop being nice to you. :(

Also I don't like lazytown (which last I saw was still on the server). And I like 2fort! Does that still count for horrible taste?

Boonoo said:
Bummer! Those are my favorite style. I like the back and forth since both teams really get to play a lot more aggressively than they would in a payload or static attack/defend.

What don't you like about them--I'm curious because it seems a lot of people are pretty down of that style.
I don't want to get into a big discussion since Twig will insult me and make me cry, but I think some main reasons I dislike them are:

* It often seems like they're a stalemate (in some cases all the way to sudden death and then a stalemate from sudden death) or a stomp, and can last 15-20 minutes if I'm not mistaken. Hydro used to have the no-spawn-timer for either team as well which didn't really help, plus it has that status popup every single map segment change. For some reason that drives me nuts and I always forget to press enter or whatever the key is that makes it vanish. Changing segments every minute or two feels weird to me. Hydro also has places where it's just one or two chokepoints and everyone sits there and somehow it's worse than corridors in other maps.

* Those maps are usually very long and open and as a heavy or class without teleporters, I spend 15-20 seconds spawning, a minute or two walking to the battle, and then I die due to a sniper or a pro scout.

* Addendum to the previous one: They seem tailor-made for pro scouts to run all over the place, shoot people, and capture points back and forth. Slow classes or people who suck at aiming (like me) may be out of luck.

Hydro is really the only one that actually makes me want to leave the server rather than play it for 20 minutes though. I can just goof off on the other maps and probably have fun if I don't feel like I can be helpful. It doesn't help that often teams end up pretty stacked on the GAF server, but I guess that's a problem on every server. I know sometimes people just joke about stacking, and sometimes there are even games, but I think I have some saved scoreboards I can dig up with stuff like only three people on one team having any points AT ALL.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:

he hates scouts

Javaman said:
It's pretty obvious that we'll never reach a consensus.
Depends on what kind of consensus you're talkin' here. U:

Javaman

Blizzard said:

Also I don't like lazytown (which last I saw was still on the server). And I like 2fort! Does that still count for horrible taste?
Lazytown, convoy and best in class are toast. They're not on the server anymore.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:

I don't want to get into a big discussion since Twig will insult me and make me cry, but I think some main reasons I dislike them are:

* It often seems like they're a stalemate (in some cases all the way to sudden death and then a stalemate from sudden death) or a stomp, and can last 15-20 minutes if I'm not mistaken. Hydro used to have the no-spawn-timer for either team as well which didn't really help, plus it has that status popup every single map segment change. For some reason that drives me nuts and I always forget to press enter or whatever the key is that makes it vanish. Changing segments every minute or two feels weird to me. Hydro also has places where it's just one or two chokepoints and everyone sits there and somehow it's worse than corridors in other maps.

* Those maps are usually very long and open and as a heavy or class without teleporters, I spend 15-20 seconds spawning, a minute or two walking to the battle, and then I die due to a sniper or a pro scout.

* Addendum to the previous one: They seem tailor-made for pro scouts to run all over the place, shoot people, and capture points back and forth. Slow classes or people who suck at aiming (like me) may be out of luck.

Hydro is really the only one that actually makes me want to leave the server rather than play it for 20 minutes though. I can just goof off on the other maps and probably have fun if I don't feel like I can be helpful. It doesn't help that often teams end up pretty stacked on the GAF server, but I guess that's a problem on every server. I know sometimes people just joke about stacking, and sometimes there are even games, but I think I have some saved scoreboards I can dig up with stuff like only three people on one team having any points AT ALL.

Ha! I forgot you liked heavy. I can see your point about it being tricky for a heavy especially in something like badlands. But the others are more heavy friendly--granary and freight especially. Fastlane is also bad for heavy.

Really it's only at mid point that's scout friendly. The last point is always nice for heavies (attacking and defending) and the second points are usually fairly tight. They do tend to have longer respawn times, though--but those are necessary for fluid back and forth.

I agree with you about hydro--it seems to always devolve into two sentry camps. I'm not a big fan of it.

I'd say that I tend to like the five capture point maps because when you get real even teams you bounce back and forth between points nicely, people are too busy capping and moving to really hunker down. It's when teams get stacked, I think, that they push into stalemates (when it's a slight stack anyway, not a pure blow out, but one team is always on offence and one defense). It's when they turn into another straight a/d that they're at their worst.

Yeah, a lot of these maps aren't too heavy friendly. I'd say that granary and freight aren't too bad for a heavy--there are some nice closed in areas that heavies could do really well in. Badlands is probably one of the biggest, and it seems to be drawing a lot of your complaints.

Hydro is a bit different; I'm not too big a fan of it either.

Twig said:
server is dead callin' it now

I'm playing SMG2!

Ultimatum

Banned
20igd8i.png

owned the house heavy style. the heavy is good on this map, guess it evens out with the 5cp.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
Yeah, a lot of these maps aren't too heavy friendly. I'd say that granary and freight aren't too bad for a heavy--there are some nice closed in areas that heavies could do really well in. Badlands is probably one of the biggest, and it seems to be drawing a lot of your complaints.
!

Hah! Tell sciz that :p

I it sucks not being able to ambush heavies who know what they're doing from behind with a melee weapon (certain dogs chasing cars notwithstanding), but I like how they're a lot more useful now. They're still vulnerable to excellent scouts, headshots, and backstabs, but they can get the jump on demos and pyros now.

Freakin ragin tonight. Steel with my doombass team.... >:/ I thought we were going to lose, but we came out on top! :D

Sciz

5 point CP maps are a terrible combination of long respawns and long walks, and aren't particularly fun no matter what class you are. Well is the best of the stock maps, and I'd still rather play the CTF version.

They wouldn't be so bad in general if they were structured more nonlinearly like Steel instead of being flat strips of land.

Twig

Banned
I'm gonna take a break from TF2 'cause it's just not fun anymore so stop inviting me, kthx. U:

Unless you do cowboys and indians.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sciz said:
5 point CP maps are a terrible combination of long respawns and long walks, and aren't particularly fun no matter what class you are. Well is the best of the stock maps, and I'd still rather play the CTF version.

They wouldn't be so bad in general if they were structured more nonlinearly like Steel instead of being flat strips of land.

I'm sure they'll release the boxing gloves that make you run faster sooner or later. That should ease the fattie's speed. OR he can eat fewer sandviches

edit: EVERYONE SPAM INVITE TWIG! :D

Sciz

Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm sure they'll release the boxing gloves that make you run faster sooner or later. That should ease the fattie's speed. OR he can eat fewer sandviches
Heavies could move at Scout speed while revved and they would still be bland, uninteresting maps.

Boonoo

Sciz said:

That's a bummer, man. I have lots of fun on them.

More than any of the other modes they offer interesting opportunities for good team play. The other modes, I think, can get pretty static.

I was on the server yesterday, haven't played TF2 in ages. Will play again if the GAF server is populated though. The lag (~150 ms) is pretty tolerable, except for playing Soldier. I'll just stick to Medic for the moment anyways, so lag isn't an issue.

Yasae

Banned
Two hard crashes last night. I don't find my card going over 70-75 degrees C at full load, which is rather cool for my old sounds-like-a-turbo-jet X1900. I took off AA and a few FX weeks back to put it under less stress. This never happens in other games, either. I haven't seen a BSOD or random crash for more than two years straight.

And I'll be blunt. The demo axe kinda sucks. I could do more damage with an ubersaw.

Boonoo

Yasae said:
And I'll be blunt. The demo axe kinda sucks. I could do more damage with an ubersaw.

But with a good charge you can one shot almost anyone! Demo knight as a whole is a bit of joke, but if you get your pills down you can be real effective with the shield. The charging and sword/axe is just icing by then.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
But with a good charge you can one shot almost anyone! Demo knight as a whole is a bit of joke, but if you get your pills down you can be real effective with the shield. The charging and sword/axe is just icing by then.

I've seen enough scary melee demomen to last me a lifetime...

The good ones and the competitive ones are scary good when it comes to distance, charging, swinging.

The range on those weapons is pretty insane...

Boonoo

Yeah, the range is always a fucking headache. I think I'm dancing just out of it as scout and then blamo! There goes my head D:

pirahna1

What server does GAF play on? I want to get into a few good matches. I normally try to play on Baron's Put when it's not full.

Does GAF have a dedicated server?

Sciz

Sciz circa two pages ago said:
68.232.178.184:27015

Add that to your favorites tab.

Whoever starts the page from now on (and pages are 50 posts you maniacs you know who you are) just needs to edit that IP in somewhere.

Oreoleo

Hate to pull a Twig BUT WHY IS THE SERVER EMPTY

I just had the worst day at work and need to unwind and my team is letting me down :(

Blizzard

Banned
I finally got the new demoman axe drop, and I really like it for some reason, even though the lack of the sword head/speed boost features make it presumably a very poor replacement.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
I finally got the new demoman axe drop, and I really like it for some reason, even though the lack of the sword head/speed boost features make it presumably a very poor replacement.

Learn to charge? Not being sarcastic. Someone like Aloysius...he's been going axeman demo a lot recently, and I always think I've strafed enough to the side to dodge it safely...and I think wrong :(

Oreo...you were working on Sunday?! What's with you Yanks and working on Sundays when it's a holiday on Monday as well? :/ And seriously, soon as Java's gone, every one drops out. Damn you Java! >:/ Maybe one of use needs to use your alias or something! I nominate n0b!

Hah! Sciz, maybe we should put the server info on every one of our posts! :D

Oreoleo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Oreo...you were working on Sunday?! What's with you Yanks and working on Sundays when it's a holiday on Monday as well? :/

I work every Saturday and Sunday, this is nothing new :( Pizza bizz blows.

I guess it comes with the territory of a part time job.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Learn to charge? Not being sarcastic. Someone like Aloysius...he's been going axeman demo a lot recently, and I always think I've strafed enough to the side to dodge it safely...and I think wrong :(

The only class that gives me difficulties as a demo. They just won't die!

okno

Kuro Madoushi said:
Hah! Sciz, maybe we should put the server info on every one of our posts! :D

So this is the GAF server? I'm gonna be on tonight in about... now. I usually rotate Soldier-Medic-Pyro, with the occasional Heavy or Sniper thrown in, when needed.

Lez do dis.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
okno said:
So this is the GAF server? I'm gonna be on tonight in about... now. I usually rotate Soldier-Medic-Pyro, with the occasional Heavy or Sniper thrown in, when needed.

Lez do dis.
It's only really active when Java's on. :\

Yasae

Banned
okno said:

Lez do dis.
Your ho ass is about to get beat.

Orellio said:
So hey guys how about that engineer update huh

I'm really ready for it to hit, I'm getting burned out on some of the bad attitudes I keep running into, and wouldn't mind something to distract the "pros" for a little while. If not the new toys, then at least they'll be screaming into the mic, "WE DON'T NEED 12 ENGINEERS! THEY'RE JUST ACHIEVEMENTS! STOP HAVING FUN!"

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
Yeah Java's banana riders all leave the second he leaves. It's really quite sad how fast it happens. ):

Coming from someone who ignores spam invites and only joins for short stretches of time, you can't talk! >:/

Was there another update today? I didn't catch what was updated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom