• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't let me join West. It brings it up as a favorite, but maybe the latency is too high. Although, that was never a problem for East or Central. (Bring them back)

Edit: I finally get in and it kicks me out because of connection problems. Sorry Icy, but there are a bunch of people who don't live anywhere near California (NJ is about as far away as you could possibly be). I get shitty ping compared to the other servers.

Icy

Banned
Livin_Lovin said:
It won't let me join West. It brings it up as a favorite, but maybe the latency is too high. Although, that was never a problem for East or Central. (Bring them back)

I just restarted it.

firex

so guys, I just need the 8 friends on a team achievement to have them all for tf2. if anybody wants to add me to their list, just search steam community (not the friends list tab, the main community page) for firex as that's my steam id.

1-D_FTW

firex said:
so guys, I just need the 8 friends on a team achievement to have them all for tf2. if anybody wants to add me to their list, just search steam community (not the friends list tab, the main community page) for firex as that's my steam id.

Speaking of achievements, you know what's funny? I thought Valve was having issues last weekend cause the two times I played Portal, my friend's list wasn't working. When I was closing it down afterwards, I then found "Do you want to update Steam?" window buried.

After the second time, I realized the coincidence. And Achievements don't record without this either. So almost all my Portal achievements aren't acknowledged. Oh, well. The ending put such a smile on my face, I could care less.

Jacobi

Banned
84b9357acbcc476f0bc0b6716.jpg

c207a67f94c69c2cff93c302f.jpg

Some little random pics of today...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, fun times tonight on the East server thanks to a little medic support in cp_well. The score was 1-1 before I joined, and then 1-5 when the map changed, with me capping or helping to cap the final two points in succession four times in a row(a few center caps too). The craziest thing to me is that for the most part the final point was being actively defended during those times, once I had to take on 4 opponents while ON the cap point and with my medic killed... and another I marched in while ubered onto the point while it was covered in stickybombs with active guard and STILL capped it.

If anyone wants to get together and play, add me--my steam name is zajil

Perhaps we could even get the famed 8 friends in a game achievement.

lexi

Banned
I must remind myself to play as medic on 2fort. Every fucking time I try to go as whatever class and just cannot make an impact on the bullshit levels of defense there is.

In a 2fort match last night, there were 5 engineers on the opposing team with a dispenser at every choke point, followed by a pyro spamming flames at the choke point, making it impossible to make a dent in the defense. 2 sentries in the intel room, 1 sentry in the spiral staircase, 1 sentry in the hay near the battlements and 1 sentry in the courtyard. impenetrable.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

IMPOSSIBLE DEFENSE

:D

....too bad my connection died with under two minutes on the clock, but I was able to rejoin in about a minute.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Grats hitokage!

I have 3 left before i have unlocked them all. Maybe i should try and finish em up tonight.
/slap server's for crashing or whatever happened. :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think i already have that achievement. And it seems there was a steam update, guess that is what caused the servers to go down. Wonder if it fixes my frame rate issues, chances point to no.

This is the first time I've looked at my screenshots from TF2. Not many there, I should really press F5 more often.

This game I was doing unnaturally well in. Me and Cheeto made a great team. This shit is epic!
08.jpg

Hee! This was when that Warpath game WOULD NEVER END, so half our team decided to let the other team win (even though we had technically won). It still took them far too long to wipe us out. We were that good. ;)
04.jpg

And a couple of amusing/awesome pics:
06.jpg

05.jpg

The Storyteller said:
This is the first time I've looked at my screenshots from TF2. Not many there, I should really press F5 more often.

This game I was doing unnaturally well. Me and Cheeto made a great team. This shit is epic!
08.jpg

Hee! This was when that Warpath game WOULD NEVER END, so half our team decided to let the other team win (even though we had technically won). It still took them far too long to wipe us out. We were that good. ;)
Lies and slander, we were about to make a comeback.

Twig

Banned
First: My stats disappear, all of them, gone. Achievements, everything. For all games!
Second: Somehow I get back my TF2 stats, but for only 21.4 hours. I should have over 40 at least.
Third: I play the game and in-game it says I've played zero time for every class and scored 0 points with every class.
Fourth: It shows the 21.4 hour stats in-game the next day but still won't update them.
Fifth: I wake up this morning and now I only have 18.2 hours for the past two weeks. That can't be right.
Sixth: Suicide.

Also why did a medic's bonesaw insta-kill me as a scout? No, it wasn't a crit. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just curious. Until that happened the only insta-kills I experienced were backstab from spy (obviously) and crit rocket from soldier. Oh and demoman crits/sticky-bomb-times-billion.

Waku

MY FORTRESS STATS! ;_;

What the hell happend? Everything is still normal on my Community Page but inage all Achivements and Stats are gone. Omg Valve what did you do you are not good with computers cat. ;_;

Cheeto

The Storyteller said:

This game I was doing unnaturally well in. Me and Cheeto made a great team. This shit is epic!
Yeah we do! Don't tell Puyo i'm cheatin on him though.

Icy

Banned
Waku said:
MY FORTRESS STATS! ;_;

What the hell happend? Everything is still normal on my Community Page but inage all Achivements and Stats are gone. Omg Valve what did you do you are not good with computers cat. ;_;

Welcome to a patch bug from Valve. :D

Twig

Banned
Waku said:
MY FORTRESS STATS! ;_;

Well from what I heard if you restart Steam the stats MIGHT come back to your game. Or when you refresh your Community page they'll all be gone like with mine.

Either way, tears all around.

I'm also going to quote my question even though it was only a few posts up because things seem to get lost in this thread pretty easily, and I'm actually very curious about this. If only to make my friend shut the fuck up.
Me said:
Also why did a medic's bonesaw insta-kill me as a scout? No, it wasn't a crit. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just curious. Until that happened the only insta-kills I experienced were backstab from spy (obviously) and crit rocket from soldier. Oh and demoman crits/sticky-bomb-times-billion.

Icy

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

Was it on my servers? If so it probablly bugged and didn't register showing as a crit.

If it was elsewhere, there uis a plugin to set specific weapons for insta gib. And Medic bonesaw has been the popular one to set.

Twig

Banned
Yeah it was on the GAF US East server. Okay, bug it is, then. It was during the, uh, sudden death. On Granary, I think.

Waku

Icy said:
Welcome to a patch bug from Valve. :D

Now my Comm Page is in some weird state of random statistics.

I sure hope Valve has some Backups and makes a Stat Rollback to prepatch or it is some kind of Halloween Joke OR SOMETHING... i cry a little Inside everytime an Achivement pops up and i get congratulated for a new best round when i had far better results earlier. ;_;

Pyro still needs a buff.

Close up fighting is meant to be what the class is all about but the flamethrower just lacks that quick killing power to take the other guy out and get away relatively unscathed.

If I pop around a corner and smack straight into a guy generally I feel I should win the fight, but far too often I just get owned on the second (if not the first) rocket shot from a soldier or get shredded by a heavy, and most other classes can backpedal fast enough to at least take me down with them.

This means my tactical options are generally limited to popping out from around the corner, unleashing my flamethrower, setting two people on fire and then having them own me in the head while they run back to a medic or other source of healing, or setting them on fire and hoping to get away with 50 or so health left and having to find a medic myself. There may be some sort of tactical advantage to forcing the enemy to retreat, but it's not very gratifying when that's all you manage and nobody dies violently but you.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when you come up behind a group and kill them all before they even realise what's going on, but those times are too rare. They're also an amazing anti-spy class, but that's the one class I actually feel confident going into 1v1 combat against (that or a lone medic).

It's an amazing class to use an Ubercharge on as well, but Pyro needs either more health, more speed, or for the flamethrower to do damage more quickly. Giving the Soldier a one hit instakill at close range sort of defeats the purpose of the Pyro.

Icy

Banned
I'm gonna be revamping some of the mods on my server.
Advertisements,etc are all bugged up. Should only show in the chat box as a blue/green/red color.

I'm keeping the quake sounds.

Fixing the map vote issues and some other issues.

I may retest a fixed crit remover to see how it goes.. wasn't popular before. And before it lowered Sniper headshot and Spy backstab dmg.

I also have access to an instagib mod that I can set specific weapons to instant kills (Might do it just have fun one night.)

Right now all stale mate rounds are melee only. No building, no weapons bullshit.

I can also make some changes to reduce the dmg/knockback of SGs, Increase the force of a rocket jump (jump higher) and other little variables.

Icy

Banned
Waku said:
Now my Comm Page is in some weird state of random statistics.

I sure hope Valve has some Backups and makes a Stat Rollback to prepatch or it is some kind of Halloween Joke OR SOMETHING... i cry a little Inside everytime an Achivement pops up and i get congratulated for a new best round when i had far better results earlier. ;_;

This happens to random people everytime. You aren't getting it back. And its not hard to reattain those TF2 stats..

firex

crit rockets are OP as hell but regular rockets suck, and in either case a soldier almost always beats a pyro. I wish valve could find a good medium between the two. I'm also tired of playing pyro because it's just too easy to counter now. health powerups remove the only real dangerous aspect of it, and the burning effect of the flamethrower is weak as hell unless you catch them nearly point blank. I'm ok with the direct damage sucking from farther away, but the burning should be just as deadly regardless.

I feel comfortable taking out a demoman (unless they have stickies I'm unaware of), a spy, a sniper, a medic, and sometimes a heavy, but that's about it. Scouts just back away and use their shotgun and I can't catch up to them, sentries dominate a pyro unless it's a level 1 sentry and they can close the gap, and just about anyone else can kill me before I kill them. That's taking into account that I almost always take the sneaky paths through a map with a pyro since you have to ambush them.

For that reason alone I am learning to play heavy and demoman more now. I'd play sniper more on defense but I don't get good fps, so even with a low ping it's hard to headshot someone.

Icy

Banned
A remake of the original Well for TF2 is out. Brought by the guys who made warpath and are working on Rock2. Its a CTF map. I'll pop it on tonight.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Icy said:
I'm keeping the quake sounds.
Lame.
I may retest a fixed crit remover to see how it goes.. wasn't popular before. And before it lowered Sniper headshot and Spy backstab dmg.
Lame.
I also have access to an instagib mod that I can set specific weapons to instant kills (Might do it just have fun one night.)
Incredibly lame.
Right now all stale mate rounds are melee only. No building, no weapons bullshit.
Lame.
I can also make some changes to reduce the dmg/knockback of SGs, Increase the force of a rocket jump (jump higher) and other little variables.
Unnecessary. ;)

bananabread said:
Pyro still needs a buff.

Close up fighting is meant to be what the class is all about but the flamethrower just lacks that quick killing power to take the other guy out and get away relatively unscathed.

If I pop around a corner and smack straight into a guy generally I feel I should win the fight, but far too often I just get owned on the second (if not the first) rocket shot from a soldier or get shredded by a heavy, and most other classes can backpedal fast enough to at least take me down with them.

This means my tactical options are generally limited to popping out from around the corner, unleashing my flamethrower, setting two people on fire and then having them own me in the head while they run back to a medic or other source of healing, or setting them on fire and hoping to get away with 50 or so health left and having to find a medic myself. There may be some sort of tactical advantage to forcing the enemy to retreat, but it's not very gratifying when that's all you manage and nobody dies violently but you.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when you come up behind a group and kill them all before they even realise what's going on, but those times are too rare. They're also an amazing anti-spy class, but that's the one class I actually feel confident going into 1v1 combat against (that or a lone medic).

It's an amazing class to use an Ubercharge on as well, but Pyro needs either more health, more speed, or for the flamethrower to do damage more quickly. Giving the Soldier a one hit instakill at close range sort of defeats the purpose of the Pyro.

I agree with all of this. I love playing Pyro, its my second favourite class after medic, but these flaws are really beginning to bug me. There are times when I've had to run after an enemy for 10-15 seconds before i can do some real damage and even then they usually kill me. Pyro's are good at sneak attacks from behind, but your almost always killed before you can make any real damage. Just a few tweaks here and there and I think Pyro would be more of a match againt soldier, demoman etc.

omgimaninja said:
I dunno; I did many ubercharge rushes with Storyteller (as pyro) and we cleared out most rooms on the 3 hour long match on Warparth

That was lots of fun. The uber pyro is a force to be reckoned with. Really, an underrated medic partner.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just so you know, it takes two rockets to kill a pyro, not one. It's not easy landing a hit after being ambushed because you're constantly being hurt, and if your clip is empty you probably won't get a third shot off.

That's really the prime weakness of a soldier's short-range ability. You can often get by decently enough, especially if you aren't shy of suicide kills, but you get four shots before you're stuck reloading between each additional one--basically a sitting duck. It may seem crazy, but a great way to punk a soldier is to make him waste shots, get close, and then make him miss. As long as you don't die in the process, you can either kill him or get him to kill himself.

Also, make sure you're touching the other guy with the flamethrower. Being "close" doesn't always cut it, and unfortunately for pyros most people know this by now.

Hitokage said:
Also, make sure you're touching the other guy with the flamethrower. Being "close" doesn't always cut it, and unfortunately for pyros most people know this by now.

Which totally sucks. Most of the time it feels like you are close enough.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hitokage said:
That's really the prime weakness of a soldier's short-range ability. You can often get by decently enough, especially if you aren't shy of suicide kills,
<The rest of hito's quote>

Hey that's me!.

But pyro's are my biggest enemy next to the demoman in this game. All the time a pyro will just pop out from a corner and its instant death. Maybe you guys aren't getting close enough, but i always die quickest when a pyro is in my face compared to anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom