• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Can you make it so that West doesn't have the weird mods like Quake sounds and melee-only SD while the other two do? Then maybe those who prefer that will gravitate towards West and have it decently full a lot.

But yeah, I don't like all the little mods and prefer west as I'm on the west coast.

Icy

Banned
Firestorm said:
Can you make it so that West doesn't have the weird mods like Quake sounds and melee-only SD while the other two do? Then maybe those who prefer that will gravitate towards West and have it decently full a lot.

But yeah, I don't like all the little mods and prefer west as I'm on the west coast.

When the servers were stock had the same problem. No one used the west.
So taking off the mods won't fix it.

and no. All servers will mirror each other.

typing in quake turns off the quake sounds.

evlcookie said:
Maybe you guys aren't getting close enough, but i always die quickest when a pyro is in my face compared to anything else.
Oh, dont get me wrong, I do get a lot of kills by popping out of nowhere, scaring the shit of them and plowing through them within seconds. These kills are generally the most satisfying.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
evlcookie said:
Hey that's me!.
One problem for a pyro is that even if there's absolutely no health items nearby, if he doesn't finish off a soldier or a demoman before backing off or dying, there's nothing stopping them from killing themselves to prevent the pyro from getting credit for it.

... and I'm enough of a jerk to do this regularly. ;)

Doytch

Icy said:
When the servers were stock had the same problem. No one used the west.
So taking off the mods won't fix it

He's saying that you should turn off mods on West only. But then everyone would only play on West and we'd have the same problem in reverse, amirite?

Icy

Banned
Doytch said:
He's saying that you should turn off mods on West only. But then everyone would only play on West and we'd have the same problem in reverse, amirite?

I ran the servers without the mods and again west never got used. Irregardless. Mods stay.

Hitokage said:
One problem for a pyro is that even if there's absolutely no health items nearby, if he doesn't finish off a soldier or a demoman before backing off or dying, there's nothing stopping them from killing themselves to prevent the pyro from getting credit for it.

... and I'm enough of a jerk to do this regularly. ;)

:O

1-D_FTW

evlcookie said:
:lol
Alot of the times i blow myself up by accident, bloody shoot the floor when people are too close. But Hitokage just gave me a good idea :D

You know what's fun to do as a soldier? Juggling. Shoot them at their feet, pop them in the air, and have a target that's rudderless and easy to predict. I've been enjoying this tactic lately.

Hitokage said:
I never cared for lowgrav/instagib. Perhaps I'm alone here. :p

You're definitely not alone in those opinions.

Icy said:
IS there 24 peeps on west?

Considering most people playing at this time are east coast and Europe, most people are probably just going to different servers.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
1-D_FTW said:
You know what's fun to do as a soldier? Juggling. Shoot them at their feet, pop them in the air, and have a target that's rudderless and easy to predict. I've been enjoying this tactic lately.

Yea i have always done this. In the past couple of days, especially noticed it with tek is that everyone now jumps. So they can avoid the rockets :( . But i used to pop them up in the air then switch to the gun and finish them off. Alot of the times it's easier to just shoot at them with the shotty than try and get an accurate / correctly timed rocket shot.
People need to stop jumping over my rockets :lol

Twig

Banned
Hitokage said:
Just so you know, it takes two rockets to kill a pyro, not one. It's not easy landing a hit after being ambushed because you're constantly being hurt, and if your clip is empty you probably won't get a third shot off.
My friend is ALWAYS complaining to me how he sometimes dies from one (non-crit) rocket from soldiers. ALWAYS. Like he won't shut up about it and it makes me want to punch his face in.

But yeah, he complains a lot, but he usually doesn't make shit up. and he doesn't stick to one server, so either he's been consistently unlucky in picking servers where someone upped the damage (I don't think so, since he says it's happened on the GAF server), or you're wrong.

O:

1-D_FTW

TheOneGuy said:
My friend is ALWAYS complaining to me how he sometimes dies from one (non-crit) rocket from soldiers. ALWAYS. Like he won't shut up about it and it makes me want to punch his face in.

But yeah, he complains a lot, but he usually doesn't make shit up. and he doesn't stick to one server, so either he's been consistently unlucky in picking servers where someone upped the damage (I don't think so, since he says it's happened on the GAF server), or you're wrong.

O:

Rockets really don't do that much damage. If the enemy has full health, he's not going down by one non-crit rocket.

And heavies? Heavies laugh at your rockets. I really wish a rocket to the head was an instant kill. There's nothing worse than ambushing a full health heavy from five feet and realizing the 1st rocket to his head isn't gonna do squat.

keiichi

1-D_FTW said:
Considering most people playing at this time are east coast and Europe, most people are probably just going to different servers.

:( We had a few people on the West Coast server yesterday but it really didn't get that full till around 7pm EST.

Did have some fun messing with the Engineer class when no one else was on though. Oh well, hopefully by the time Trick or Treating stuff is over the East Coast server will be up.

Hazmat

Icy said:
I ran the servers without the mods and again west never got used. Irregardless. Mods stay.

He's saying that if West didn't have the mods but the others did, maybe that would be an incentive for people to play on West. Don't like the quake sounds or user-made maps? Play on West.

God, I'm tired of this shit. Why are the servers always empty when I want to play? No east side players, or is it the fact that the stupid east and central servers are always down even on EST playtime hours (as it is like, now...)?

Foreign Jackass said:
God, I'm tired of this shit. Why are the servers always empty when I want to play? No east side players, or is it the fact that the stupid east and central servers are always down even on EST playtime hours (as it is like, now...)?

If the east server is up, I'll play now.

Icy

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:

If you have been reading. Go play on west.

Icy

Banned
Hazmat said:
He's saying that if West didn't have the mods but the others did, maybe that would be an incentive for people to play on West. Don't like the quake sounds or user-made maps? Play on West.

You can turn the quake sounds off like I've posted at least twice now.

Icy

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:

your attitude sucks for something you do not pay for.

Twig

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Rockets really don't do that much damage. If the enemy has full health, he's not going down by one non-crit rocket.
That doesn't change the fact that it happens.

I play a soldier quite often, second only to scout, so I know the limits. I'm just telling it like it is.

Doytch

1-D_FTW said:

And heavies? Heavies laugh at your rockets. I really wish a rocket to the head was an instant kill. There's nothing worse than ambushing a full health heavy from five feet and realizing the 1st rocket to his head isn't gonna do squat.

That would be so damn overpowered. Soldiers are easily strong enough right now.

Hazmat

Icy said:
You can turn the quake sounds off like I've posted at least twice now.

I know, I was just clarifying what he said. I'm not saying I don't like the mods on the servers, but obviously some people don't like some of them. He was just saying that making the West server free of any mods (class limits, melee-only sudden death, quake sounds, etc) might attract some people to it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Le Update.

Steam Client
Fixed case where the Team Fortress 2 statistics could become corrupted
Improved network connectivity issues

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
yea the server's seem to keep crashing.

And west is gone for good? I thought that might be an idea since it doesn't seem to get any love :( . Poor west. R.I.P !

Icy

Banned
Server Update ***

- Fixed problems with 3d sound in surround mode for some Audigy X-Fi
users
- Medigun no longer continues to heal enemy Spies who have lost their
disguise
- Fixed a weapon switching exploit that allowed Snipers to fire slightly
faster than intended
- Tweaked shadow filtering to make shadows look more smooth
- Fixed Server Plugin "StartQueryCVarValue" falsely returning
CvarNotFound for cvars that did exist
- Fixed crash in HTML control in IE7 on page load, most often seen in
the server Message of the Day
- Fixed small memory leak in HTML controller
- Made HTML output more compatible with new XHTML document styles
- Fixed physics crash involving bad ragdoll friction values
- Fixed detail sprite fading
- Added anti-bunny hopping code

Yeah, I don't really like it either. Especially the part in the middle where it is so cramped and you can't see the color to tell if its an enemy or not :(

It all started with the October 9th patch. I used to be able to play decently on high settings with dxlevel 95, 2xAA, 4xAF. Now I had to set it to dxlevel 81 and all settings on low pretty much and the framerate is much worse than when I had everything on high before that patch. I was hoping the new patch would fix this but it turned out that it just made it all worse.

I really like classic well. It is far from perfect, but with a few tweaks i could really love it. The worst part is definitely the middle section, as Puyo said. I kept shooting at my teammates and getting taken out from behind by the other team. :lol

CrookedRain said:
Every new patch makes my framerate worse. :(
I've never had any framerate problems before, but with this patch... :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TheOneGuy said:
Having faced other soldiers at times, you don't always hear when a rocket is a crit or not.

At any rate, scouts and spies will die with a single rocket, snipers probably not, heavies take 3-4, and then you have everyone else who needs 2-3, depending on how accurate you are.

...but we could always test this.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
CrookedRain said:
It all started with the October 9th patch. I used to be able to play decently on high settings with dxlevel 95, 2xAA, 4xAF. Now I had to set it to dxlevel 81 and all settings on low pretty much and the framerate is much worse than when I had everything on high before that patch. I was hoping the new patch would fix this but it turned out that it just made it all worse.

Sweet im not the only one who noticed a drop in frame rate since one of the patches, don't remember which one. But of course my PC is a pos and the game has always run slow, but it's been a bit slower recently. maybe i should try dxlevel 8

Firestorm

Nooo. I was refreshing West hoping it would be up (it dies randomly on my screen for some reason) and it seems it's gone for good =(

Only the high ping Central/East left now

saelz8

Icy said:
Server Update ***

- Fixed problems with 3d sound in surround mode for some Audigy X-Fi
users
- Medigun no longer continues to heal enemy Spies who have lost their
disguise
- Fixed a weapon switching exploit that allowed Snipers to fire slightly
faster than intended
- Tweaked shadow filtering to make shadows look more smooth
- Fixed Server Plugin "StartQueryCVarValue" falsely returning
CvarNotFound for cvars that did exist
- Fixed crash in HTML control in IE7 on page load, most often seen in
the server Message of the Day
- Fixed small memory leak in HTML controller
- Made HTML output more compatible with new XHTML document styles
- Fixed physics crash involving bad ragdoll friction values
- Fixed detail sprite fading
- Added anti-bunny hopping code
Ha!

Javaman

There still seems to be a melee sudden death exploit with engs being able to build turrets. I asked one on the east server how he was doing it but he wouldn't give up the goods. :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
wtf valve wtf!
9fpstf2.jpg

9 fps ftw!

Icy

Banned
Javaman said:
There still seems to be a melee sudden death exploit with engs being able to build turrets. I asked one on the east server how he was doing it but he wouldn't give up the goods. :lol

there's 3 differnt mods for it.

2 of them somehow break the resupply cabinets. If you resupply you get access to the rest of your arsenal. mine however doesnt provide access during sudden death. :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, I landed a rocket in a pyro's face and he didn't die, so my claim is confirmed: two rockets.

BTW, I consider jumping important enough to be on my mouse rather than Special Tech. Right click is jump, space is Use, and alt is Special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom