• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Blizzard

Banned
I like alltalk. You can still talk to your friends on the other team (unless you're a person like me, without friends, whom everyone hates). And it's like TF2 hard mode, since if you go ahead and coordinate on the mic, the other team knows what you're doing!

UNLESS, your mic coordination is actually secretly NOT what you're doing, and then the other team will be caught by surprise by your TRUE plan.

Except since the other team will be expecting you to be sneaky like that, you actually gotta be ultra sneaky and do what you originally said you were going to do on the mic. That'll totally throw them off!

(._.)

Banned
You might consider turning off all-talk to see if players do more co-ordination over mic. When I've played, I hesitate to say anything because 1. all the cross-talk drowns out actual team co-ordination and 2. even if you co-ordinate, the other team can hear it.

I sorta used to feel this way a long time ago when I used my mic on Janky. I stopped caring when I just accepted janky is a pub server for casual fun.

Forkball

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The two aren't mutually exclusive. I know that may be hard to wrap your head around. I can give people the business while still capping points and killing medics.

Nope. Team talk is already there for that, but everyone but me is too lazy to use it.

[EDIT] Also, got an Outback intellectual drop. It's pretty snazzy.

Oh really? And cabermanning?

I feel like few of you people understand basic attack/defend strategies and undervalue the importance of teleporters and engineer nests in general. If you're a spy or scout on offense, taking out teleporters should ALWAYS be your top priority. Killing people isn't very useful if they can get right back to the front lines in a few seconds. On the other side, if you're on offense and you see an engineer setting up a Forward Operating Base, protect him until his base gets to a decent size. Defending an area is generally easier than pushing in, but pushing is more likely to be successful if you have teammates with you. Having a base means you have a place to fall back to for health. The combination of living longer and having teammates teleporting in means you have more people to push with.

TF2 is setup so that people respawn in waves. Unless you're the only one to have died you should always be spawning with a teammate or two. Stick together as well as you can (assuming you're not a scoot).

This stuff should be instinctive-level stuff considering the average skill level of the GAF server, yet somehow people don't do any of it.

FUCKING REMEMBER IT GODDAMMIT

Only reason I mentioned Barn Blitz was because Blue had 2 engi and they couldn't help each other nor setup a base. It was likely due to not sticking together or no one was helping the engineer.

I installed steam downloaded this game, and upon starting it up into the menu moving my cursor it takes a while for the option to light up and respond, its like very long stuttering and impossible to play, I have i7 2600k and gtx 470 anyone know what could be the problem?

I installed steam downloaded this game, and upon starting it up into the menu moving my cursor it takes a while for the option to light up and respond, its like very long stuttering and impossible to play, I have i7 2600k and gtx 470 anyone know what could be the problem?

hmm weird

try making a autoexec.cfg file in C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Username/Team Fortress 2/tf/cfg

make a new notepad file and paste the content of this link inside.
http://www.fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/configs/cfg/getconfig.php?conf=maxquality
Save it as "autoexec.cfg"

Also helps to use some launch options as well. Right Click Tf2 in your Steam Library, the go to properties, then Launch options.

-dxlevel 98 -novid -useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd

Also try putting -window
in the launch options, might work in window mode.

remove -dxlevel 98 after you manage to get it booted up.

(._.)

Banned
I feel like I'm capable of making a decent model to submit for the workshop but I'm not very good at making textures so it wouldn't look very good :\

thefro

The other thing people should always do (on a map/mode where teleporters are important) is if you see a teleporter entrance right outside your base at level one after you spawn, go back in the base, switch to engineer class, hit in with your wrench to level it up to 3, then switch back to whatever class you were playing before.

Helps out your team an incredible amount and you can switch classes instantly without having to respawn if you do it inside the base.

Yeef

Oh really? And cabermanning?
Depends on the map. On a map like Steel Caberman is worthless. On open maps, though, like high tower or Harvest, caberman is basically a super-speed spy. Take out key targets like medics and engineers and then retreat. The real problem is that people that play caberman are generally already in the mindset of 'doing it for the lulz.'
They'll go for the caber kill even if they know they'll die in the process instead of actually playing to win.

How do you use team talk?
voiceall will toggle between alltalk and team talk. it says as much in the chat when you first connect to the server (and on map changes), but no one pays attention to the chat. I set it up once to say it in a message panel on the side, but everyone bitched about it.

Copy + Paste = too much work. If you want to be lazy, that's fine, but don't complain about alltalk then.

http://tf2.gafserver.com/teamtalk/

If copy pasting is too hard, I'm sure downloading files will BLOW YOUR MIND, so i don't know why I bothered.

That's what's really fun about offensive engineer (at least how I play it)... you're basically like a center midfielder in football/soccer and can switch between offense/defense as needed.
Are you talking offensive engie with the normal sentry or gunslinger? I've tried playing offensive with just the normal sentry but its too easy to get destroyed

thefro

Are you talking offensive engie with the normal sentry or gunslinger? I've tried playing offensive with just the normal sentry but its too easy to get destroyed

Gunslinger. I use that loadout for defense too, so I can switch up my style of play depending on what the team needs from me.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Turtle engie is necessary but so boring.

You can use lvl 1s but you have to hide them better whereas minis you can drop anywhere but are more fun to hide.

Hills or slopes plus minis are so so deadly.

Dammit Yeef! Thus my original point of we playing to win or for lulz'

I'd rather a shotgun heavy than crapperman any day.

And before you chime in, shaddap artistdud.

Javaman

Also don't have three engineers of offense. COME ON WE HAD THAT ROUND.
I was originally a medic up till the last point and we kept hitting a people wall just outside their base. Figured i'd switch things up and get a forward base set up since we weren't making any progress. Even though neither team won, that map was a blast. One of the few even matches I've seen lately.

Turtle engie is necessary but so boring.

You can use lvl 1s but you have to hide them better whereas minis you can drop anywhere but are more fun to hide.

Hills or slopes plus minis are so so deadly.

Dammit Yeef! Thus my original point of we playing to win or for lulz'

I'd rather a shotgun heavy than crapperman any day.

And before you chime in, shaddap artistdud.
"The Business".

Forkball

UPDATE

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Added The Teufort Tooth Kicker
Fixed being able to call server votes for training maps
Fixed a case where capturing a point in overtime would end the round before time could be added
Fixed not hearing the third-person weapon sounds for The Gloves of Running Urgently, The Overdose, and The Wrap Assassin
Fixed unusual particles appearing in the wrong place for the Desert Marauder
Improved bot behaviors
Updated cp_mountainlab
Fixed several clipping issues
Updated the gamehaptics file:
Added draw/swing/stab forces to the Black Rose
Added missing forces for Three Rune Blade
Added more detail to butterfly knife draw forces
Modified Overdose recoil force to more accurately reflect new sound effect
Refined Huntsman & Minigun recoil forces
Refined Jarate throw force
Refined Syringe Gun crit recoil forces
Arquivos de localização atualizados
Capture.PNG

Proven

I feel like few of you people understand basic attack/defend strategies and undervalue the importance of teleporters and engineer nests in general. If you're a spy or scout on offense, taking out teleporters should ALWAYS be your top priority. Killing people isn't very useful if they can get right back to the front lines in a few seconds. On the other side, if you're on offense and you see an engineer setting up a Forward Operating Base, protect him until his base gets to a decent size. Defending an area is generally easier than pushing in, but pushing is more likely to be successful if you have teammates with you. Having a base means you have a place to fall back to for health. The combination of living longer and having teammates teleporting in means you have more people to push with.

TF2 is setup so that people respawn in waves. Unless you're the only one to have died you should always be spawning with a teammate or two. Stick together as well as you can (assuming you're not a scoot).

This stuff should be instinctive-level stuff considering the average skill level of the GAF server, yet somehow people don't do any of it.
The Engi stuff goes right along with spy checking and covering fire. If you're not in danger and are just refilling on health, there's no reason to not just fire around here and there. If you're retreating ahead of other people, turn around first to check their backs. They'll either keep looking forward, effectively watching your back anyway, or they'll turn around to look behind them which allows you to turn forward again and look ahead. Everything remains covered.

For the rest, I can only echo what I've said before. The most important skill to learn in TF2 is how to stay alive. Numbers don't mean everything but numbers do mean almost everything so at least stick with your team and get that in your pocket. The more people there are, the more important it is to save a life rather than just tunnel vision someone and hope everything works out. The only reason people like me play TF2 is because deathmatching isn't the be all end all like in many other shooters.

Edit: And coordination over alltalk really is TF2 hard mode, so do it anyway. If your plan had any chance of success it doesn't matter if they hear you (until they go demo).

Yeef

Conspiracy Theory Part 2: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2577537

I saw a strange line from the cp_mountainlab.manifest soundcache file on the Wiki. It looks like this:

N/A2796"sound\npc\robot_boss_stun_start.wav"
N/A2797"sound\npc\robot_boss_stunned.wav"
N/A2798"sound\npc\robot_boss_stun_recover.wav"
N/A2799"sound\npc\robot_boss_acquire.wav"
N/A2800"sound\npc\robot_boss_voice_01.wav"
N/A2801"sound\npc\robot_boss_voice_02.wav"
N/A2802"sound\npc\robot_boss_voice_03.wav"
N/A2803"sound\npc\robot_boss_footstep_01.wav"
N/A2804"sound\npc\robot_boss_launch_grenades.wav"
N/A2805"sound\npc\robot_boss_launch_rockets.wav"
N/A2806"sound\npc\robot_boss_hurt_01.wav"
N/A2807"sound\npc\robot_boss_vulnerable_01.wav"
N/A2808"sound\npc\robot_boss_charge_up_nuke_attack02 .wav"
N/A2809"sound\npc\robot_boss_nuke_attack.wav"
N/A2810"sound\npc\robot_boss_scanning.wav"

Those are sounds for a robot boss. This also might relate to those robot pictures on foundry.

this isn't the only map sounds manifest with these sound files added. The February 16, 2012 Patch also added these lines for pl_hoodoo_final. The plot thickens.

So upon further investigation, it seems the sound files were also added to Steel. Not only that, but they also added these sound files.

"sound\npc\minion_stun_charge_up.wav"
"sound\npc\minion_stun_launch.wav"
"sound\npc\minion_stun_kill.wav"
"sound\npc\minion_start_build.wav"

BUT

These sound files were added to the Frontier sound manifest in the October 13, 2011 Patch, and subsequently removed in the January 26, 2012 Patch. What this means is that Valve have been testing whatever this is for months, but their removal from the Frontier manifest is confusing.

hmm weird

try making a autoexec.cfg file in C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/Username/Team Fortress 2/tf/cfg

make a new notepad file and paste the content of this link inside.
http://www.fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/configs/cfg/getconfig.php?conf=maxquality
Save it as "autoexec.cfg"

Also helps to use some launch options as well. Right Click Tf2 in your Steam Library, the go to properties, then Launch options.

-dxlevel 98 -novid -useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd

Also try putting -window
in the launch options, might work in window mode.

remove -dxlevel 98 after you manage to get it booted up.

I've tried all that its still the same

Top Bottom