• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Technomancer - Review Thread

The more I played this game, the more I disliked it. Do you like Mars setting? Well you won't get much of it here. Instead your mostly stuck in city after city, doing backtracking consistently, and this last throughout. Don't let the starting few hours fool you, which was the best moments of the game I saw. I gave up after 16 hours in, I couldnt take yet another revisit of an area Ive been to a million timse before, deal with more boring companions, and the combat, which is decent enough turned into a frustrating mess as enemies continued to provide a beating, even on easy mode. I was super interested and walked away super dissapointed.I liked Bound By Flame, Risen games, etc.... but this felt extremely padded for content. Sure it's their best game mechanically and polish wise but everything else is sort of a step back. Writing, missions, backtracking, no fast travel. At 20 or 30 it's debatable. At 60? Nope, nope, nope.
Damn, was waiting for a vid from you.

As of now I'm still interested but not at $60, I'm hoping the trade in for star ocean v doesn't drop too quick as I'll use that to soften the blow.

Damn, was waiting for a vid from you.

As of now I'm still interested but not at $60, I'm hoping the trade in for star ocean v doesn't drop too quick as I'll use that to soften the blow.

I have a written review going live at 9 am est on ZTGD that explains my thoughts more. Every chapter had me going back to previous chapters aka cities... because I hadn't been to those cities enough as it is? Then final momentwhere I decided I was done is when 16 hours in mind you, the game is having me return to the intro level. I couldn't believe it. Game is littered with reusing the same maps and levels, with respawning enemies over and over upon revisits. Every time I'd be like, yep here comes that gang of bad guys on que.

Liamc723

I have a written review going live at 9 am est on ZTGD that explains my thoughts more. Every chapter had me going back to previous chapters aka cities... because I hadn't been to those cities enough as it is? Then final momentwhere I decided I was done is when 16 hours in mind you, the game is having me return to the intro level. I couldn't believe it. Game is littered with reusing the same maps and levels, with respawning enemies over and over upon revisits. Every time I'd be like, yep here comes that gang of bad guys on que.

Yup, the constant backtracking combined with fighting the exact same set of enemies in the same areas really killed the enjoyment for me.

Yup, the constant backtracking combined with fighting the exact same set of enemies in the same areas really killed the enjoyment for me.

Just less backtracking, better mission design, and a steady pace of progress would do wonders for the game. Soundtrack is on point, combat is fun at times, and the world and lore is interesting. Just ultimately the game is a complete bore for me. I like also how they start you off in the openingomens fighting this huge creature and then... well that doesn't happen again for hours. That's the exception not the rule. Kinda is the overall vibe I have. Opening moment is great and when the game hits those levels it works, but the rest of the game just brings it down hard in between those rare moments.

Damn, this is really worrying on the design front. Constant respawning enemies is something that annoys me a lot a long with backtracking if it's tedious.

ironcreed

Banned
It's funny that Karak mentions that it is influenced by Knights of the Old Republic a bit, as I sort of got that vibe from one of the trailers. I'll be picking this up soonish.

It's funny that Karak mentions that it is influenced by Knights of the Old Republic a bit, as I sort of got that vibe from one of the trailers. I'll be picking this up soonish.

I personally wish I felt that way. Id probably have enjoyed it by default more then as its one of my all time favorite games. Curious to see your impressions and long term thoughts.

ironcreed

Banned
I personally wish I felt that way. Id probably have enjoyed it by default more then as its one of my all time favorite games. Curious to see your impressions and long term thoughts.

I might wait on a price drop. But it does look like something I think I will enjoy underneath all of the jank and perhaps some odd design choices here and there.

Tyrus

Banned
My review: http://www.impulsegamer.com/the-technomancer-ps4-review/

I have a weird fondness for The Technomancer. Objectively it's unpolished and generic in many areas and throughout my review schedule I lost motivation to push through multiple times, but something always brought me back in – a new companion, an instance of reactivity from the game from my actions (companions and NPCs are really chatty about your actions), some cool new armour, just little things which made me think, hey, you know, it's pretty impressive to get this from a team as small as Spiders. It sort of gave a mid-2000s BioWare RPG vibe at times, though still a little less polished than even that.

Overall, it's much better than Bound by Flame and about on par with Mars: War Logs. I actually think the latter probably still does some things better then The Technomancer (though it does have the benefit of having had its entire voice-work and script re-done post launch in that update), but it's been a long time since I played it.

The Techomancer is still that budget-conscious RPG experience the developers are known for producing. Not for everyone, so don't rush into it if you're on the fence and maybe wait for a sale. You need serious patience to appreciate what is there and well done (the factions and city histories).

Backtracking probably killed it for me when I did get frustrated, as did the terrible A.I. pathfinding and glitches. I'll post a (funny) GIF of the worst instance of this lack of polish, where two NPCs near the Curiousity bar in Ophir walk back and forth endlessly because their A.I. can't settle them as they're stuck between the chairs and tables. It's hilariously broken.

StereoVsn

Eurojank RPG - sign me up... after a sale :). I loved Gothic 1&2, tolerated Gothic 3 (post patches), liked all the Risen games, and even had fun with Two Worlds 1&2. Plus all kinds of other smaller German and Eastern European and Russian RPGs.

Oh and this Dev did Mars War Logs, right? That was ok too. Bound by Flames kind of sucked though.

KOCMOHABT

Hmm so ACG says buy at 40$, but all the others are pretty critical...

guess it's for a niche crowd before it gets cheap someday

6.0 out of 10 from me

http://www.ztgd.com/the-technomancer/review/

Visually at times it’s interesting and the story has some intrigue, but ultimately I just found myself bored with it the longer it went on. Characters didn’t seem interesting, quests were typical, and nothing really pulled me in. Add in the extreme repetition and backtracking elements, and after 16 hours, I quit out of frustration and lack of interest. I forced myself to try to complete the game over and over again; I couldn’t. Spider has one of their biggest and best looking games and solid mechanics as well. Yet even with those elements in play, the rest of the game can’t keep up to that standard. I would recommend Technomancer only to those extremely interested in the setting and going into it full well knowing that this RPG has issues.

Ricker

My review: http://www.impulsegamer.com/the-tech...er-ps4-review/

The Techomancer is still that budget-conscious RPG experience the developers are known for producing.

And there lies the problem for me...over here in Canada,the game is 80 bucks...War Logs was 20...they should of gone halfway for this,so like many here,I will still get it but after the impressions and reviews from people I trust,I will wait until its 40 max...

Your direct link doesnt work Tyrus by the way

I have no idea why, but i liked Mars War Logs and Bound By Flame. I bought them fairly cheap and beat them. I think I'll do the same here. I still have no idea why I like what feels like bootleg Bioware games. LOL

I'm intrigued by the comparisons to Alpha Protocol and BioWare, and I've had some fun with Eurojank RPGs in the past.

How is the difficulty? Tbh this is the kind of game that my plan would be to set it on the easiest mode, mash buttons and just ride the wave. I'm not looking for roadblocks and frustration in a game like this.

Karak

Ya was funny to see so many reviewers mention that. Its not as good as that lol. Just lots of cribbing

Hmm so ACG says buy at 40$, but all the others are pretty critical...

guess it's for a niche crowd before it gets cheap someday

Well if you watch the review I am pretty critical as well and as I said one of the hardest games to review.
But its nice to see some support for it when I woke back up this morning.

ACG's and Gamersyde's reviews gives me hope for the game. Sounds like a lot of fun actually. And i was one of the people that really enjoyed games like Risen 1 despite some really really bad stuff in that game. Janky animations and such really won't turn me away. Are the quests fun and interesting in this one?
Some are good some are great, some are dudes. I didn't feel it was a special mix at any of those ratios though there were a few that I really liked.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
It seems that Spiders even after 3 games don't understand the concept of proper difficultty balancing. Apparently their version of making the game more challenging is turning all enemies into damage sponges and severely handicapping you at the same time which kills any sense of progression. Even if you heavily invest in a specific skill tree and equip the best gear you are still gonna get one shotted by basic grunts if you miss a dodge or parry. Where's the fun in that?

Also I can't believe they are still bothering with companions. What's the use of them if they are going to get one shotted as soon as combat starts and they are only good at temporarily pulling aggro off you?

For their next game maybe the should focus on reworking those basic things before trying too hard to be the next Bioware or CDPR

Karak

Played it for about an hour so far, it feels like Spiders best game from first impressions. Combat isn't bad if a little floaty feeling, visuals aren't too bad either though it feels like a PS4 launch game. The characters world and setting all seem pretty solid, I quite like the voice acting personally. Enjoying it a lot more than reviews led on I would but maybe it gets much worse the further I go?
Man for me the first hour was rough so your maybe in luck who knows. The youtubers I discussed it with this morning on the breakfast IRC all felt the hours was rough and it picked up from there
5.5 over at TechRaptor

I see we're not the only ones to use the Alpha Protocol comparison.
Not the only ones. LOL

ironcreed

Banned
Ya was funny to see so many reviewers mention that. Its not as good as that lol. Just lots of cribbing

Oh, I am definitely not expecting it to be as good. It is just neat to see some influence there and on the whole I think that it looks like a fun game for what it is.

prudislav

VbBtx4A.png

Karak

Oh, I am definitely not expecting it to be as good. It is just neat to see some influence there and on the whole I think that it looks like a fun game for what it is.

Ya like I said hardest time I have had coming up with a score since...well forever

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'll tell you another game this reminds me of, Divinity DKS..... has that same look about it (combat wise too).

I bloody loved Divinity DKS also.

This looks to be exactly the type of game that I forget about, see it on sale for $20 in a few months, buy it, let it sit on my shelf for a few more months, finally decide to play it, and end up loving it. Maybe I can finish what I'm currently playing skip those first few steps.

Added to my Amazon Wish List so that I'm constantly reminded of its existence!

Are this the same dev that made Of Orcs and Men? I loved that game, underbudget and flawed but really enjoyable. Sounds like this might be the same tier.

lcap

Why did you quote me? I am talking about the story the dev wanted to tell.

FYI Console version is FAR FAR worse than PC sadly.

Pretty much how it felt too.

When you mean FAR FAR you mean by toning down effect or terrible performance?

Yeah yall convinced me to wait until this game is on sale. I'm not terribly picky with rpgs, but I'll hold off as a full 60 for it seems too much. If I felt like playing it on pc it'd be a good price at 40, but since I do majority of my gaming on ps4 I'll wait until it's that price on it.

Orca

Our review doesn't go up until the weekend paper comes out, but I'm in line with most of the results. I would get it at $40-45 but not the full price (which is ridiculous in Canada) for the KOTOR/Alpha Protocol vibe.

How's the writing compared to Mars: War Logs? Because the writing in that game was so bad I couldn't keep playing it. If Technomancer's writing is improved I'd be very interested in giving it a try, but the couple of reviews I read don't really talk about it much.
Mars: War Logs actually got an update that rewrote and revoiced almost all of its dialogue.

Top Bottom