• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Technomancer - Review Thread

Sajjaja

Are this the same dev that made Of Orcs and Men? I loved that game, underbudget and flawed but really enjoyable. Sounds like this might be the same tier.

Of Orcs and Men was had a joint development with Cyanide Studios and Spider Studios. Cyanide is definitely better of the two imo which is why Of Orcs and Men is fun, and so is their Game of Thrones RPG.

Ricker

Of Orcs and Men was had a joint development with Cyanide Studios and Spider Studios. Cyanide is definitely better of the two imo which is why Of Orcs and Men is fun, and so is their Game of Thrones RPG.

Game of Thrones game was probably the ugliest game I ever played lol but it had its moments yes... ;)

Eridani

Mars: War Logs actually got an update that rewrote and revoiced almost all of its dialogue.

That's actually very nice to hear, since it shows that the devs were aware of how bad the writing was and were willing to fix it. Although that TotalBiscuit quote mentioning comically bad writing for Technomancer sounds doesn't really inspire much confidence in their newest title.

Jackpot

Banned
I've been keeping an eye on this game, but I keep thinking how Mars War Logs' combat centered on getting bigger and better sticks. Literal sticks and lengths of rebar.

Setzer

Still interested in playing this. Definitely got a KOTOR vibe from those gameplay videos. I'll probably pick it up when it goes on sale for $20 or so.

Fishook

It seems like a typical Spiders game, a budget grade RPG. I may pick it up later this week, but I just bought a new PC so a bit reluctant to spend more money the next few months.

If anyone was expecting this to be a stellar release, were kidding themselves. The reviews were expected TBH.

Karak

I've been keeping an eye on this game, but I keep thinking how Mars War Logs' combat centered on getting bigger and better sticks. Literal sticks and lengths of rebar.

And some of this is the same, but then also upgrading your moves, and the ability to electrify your weapons oh and also stab people in the face with that electrified rebar

That's an eclectic mix of review scores. I'm still going to play it, though, as I've been looking forward to it since it was first shown and kind of liked Bound by Flame.

I'm just glad it's only 7gigs.

Alexious

You can find my review here.

Needless to say, I liked the game a bit more than the colleagues' average and rated it 7.2/10:

The Technomancer is a well made action-RPG and the best title released by Spiders so far, thanks to the additional polish and increased size of the game's content. Just don't expect to be able to explore a massive world like those in Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3 or you may be disappointed.

I've also captured 17 minutes of gameplay footage of the PC version at max settings and 4K resolution (though unfortunately it's still processing so only 1080P is available right now), for those interested.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No female avatar option is a minor quibble?
Yeah. Honestly this might be a deal-breaker for me... It's not like this game will have a really meaningful, interesting protagonist with a powerful narrative that would justify this, right?

They're not a very big studio, are they? Plus the protagonist is voiced.
Considering who's making this game? Yeah, it probably is.

Avatar options would be towards the bottom of my concerns for a Spiders game.
They have a very limited budget, making a female character and having to re-tool the entire storyline + hire a female voice actress to do the lines would add up to quite a bit probably.
Bound by Flame had a female avatar, which was fully voiced. I can't imagine why they'd regress here, unless they really cared about "telling his story" which by all accounts seems mediocre at best.

I have like all of their PC titles besides master of shadows
Love them. They also did the Game of Thrones RPG. Used the same combat system.
Cyanide made those. I think only Of Orcs and Men is a Cyanide/Spiders collaboration, but Styx and GoT are 100% Cyanide. Also, I haven't played Of Orcs and Men, but Game of Thrones had possibly the worst combat I've ever seen. I think Styx is a better game than anything Spiders ever made, but I'll take Spiders' combat over Cyanide's any time. :p

GavinUK86

It's pretty enjoyable so far. I'm a an hour or so in. Not getting great performance on PC. Regularly below 60FPS with a 970 at 1080p with everything on maximum. Considering how it looks, visually, it's surprising.

KiraXD

if I really enjoyed Bound by Flame... i should like this too right? i mean it was jank... but i can stand jank if it holds my interest... this looked better than BbF, so... i dunno... wish i could play before i buy.

Staf

Bound by Flame had a female avatar, which was fully voiced. I can't imagine why they'd regress here, unless they really cared about "telling his story" which by all accounts seems mediocre at best.

Maybe it's just not worth it from a budgetary perspective? Maybe they saw from Bound by Flame that only 1/5 used a female avatar, like the statistics Bioware released for ME3, and figured the budget for the female voiceover could go thoward something else. I really doubt Spiders have a big budget for this.

Like I said earlier, considering that Bound by Flame was butts, as well as their small team size, I would guess that budgets and development time are pretty tight all around at Spiders.

Karak

Your confusing aim with result here. One can want to tell a good story and have it turn mediocre. Doesn't mean adding an additional aspect would suddenly make it amazing. It means what it means. They chose to indeed tell this characters story. The fault lies within that chracters telling if people are unhappy with it.

It's pretty enjoyable so far. I'm a an hour or so in. Not getting great performance on PC. Regularly below 60FPS with a 970 at 1080p with everything on maximum. Considering how it looks, visually, it's surprising.
TAA maybe? I mentioned it in my review but the way the game is designed architecturally there is a lot of low load very high load moments in the game and that doesn't include the suddenly 10 on 4 battles.

Liamc723

Your confusing aim with result here. One can want to tell a good story and have it turn mediocre. Doesn't mean adding an additional aspect would suddenly make it amazing. It means what it means. They chose to indeed tell this characters story. The fault lies within that chracters telling if people are unhappy with it.

Zach being a female would have pretty much no effect on the story.

Top Bottom