• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT| of Tag Assaulting the Devil, Ogres, Wild Animals & MILFs (Bitcap Warning)

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, that's a pretty cool track. I like it. Although, I'm not going to lie. I'm going to be completely honest in saying that I won't use it in Tag 2 unlike a lot of your other tracks which I probably will also be rotating around with other stuff. But your list is definitely brilliant. Really love how there's so much diversity in the tracks you picked. Whereas most of my stuff ends up being techno. Actually thinking about adding F-Zero GX tracks now. Specifically looking at Port Town and Lightning.

Thanks! Oh man, you bringing up F-Zero just reminded me of the Extreme-G series on the N64. I recall that game having a pretty solid soundtrack so I'll be checking it out shortly. Excellent picks from the F-Zero series, definitely going to put the "Lightning" track somewhere on my list.

Sayah

I'm gonna say he's covering his ass for unannounced playable Unknown.

What's a good way for a new player to learn the basics of the game? I've been messing around in Tekken 6 with Practice and Ghost Fight, and Hybrid is on the way (though it's probably gonna arrive too late to be of much use). I am reading through AAK's crazy-detailed opening posts, and making use of the beginner FAQ + Alisa moves & juggles guides from Tekken Zaibatsu. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I know Aris did a series of videos on the T6/Tag 2 movement, and there are those LUYG videos, but if there's anything else you guys would recommend, I'd love to hear about it.

Gonna be hard juggling this alongside Final Showdown, but I already know this will be way more popular (as much as that pains the VF fanboy in me). No time like the present to really get into Tekken so I intend to take full-advantage of it.

Oh hey. I've posted these youtube links before. They can be helpful.
1. How to get up properly. This is really important if you don't want to keep getting juggled.

2. Anti-Alisa Guide. I recommend this generally because it gives a good run down/better understanding of how high, mid and low attacks might work and the ways you can punish them. And, most importantly, it really shows the amount of options you have for countering/punishing.

Tekken is a lot about baiting, tricking, anticipating and punishing. You have to put your mind power to use and be really creative and really clever with how you play. Find the loopholes in the opponents moves. Be both aggressive and defensive depending on context or depending on where the match is headed.

And there are SO many options available to you at one time that it can just be overwhelming for a newcomer. But once you get the hang of it, I'm sure you'll do fine and find yourself enjoying the game. It's hard not to once you learn how the game works.

I would spend a lot of time in practice. Experiment around with juggles and make sure you have some combos down that you know you can do. Ultimately, know what you can launch with and also know which moves your character has that can bound the opponent. Although, it's a good idea to memorize most of your characters' moves. You can skip 10-hit combos,though.

Some other tips:
-When in practice, turn on position reset from the menu.

-When practicing, I generally pick open/infinite stages (Manji Valley, Azazel's Chamber, High Rollers Club ). That way you can practice your juggles and have them extended as far as you can without having any walls in the way. But I do use wall stages (usually Tunnel disaster) when I need to figure out the things I can do for extended damage when I have the opponent against the wall......or to figure out ways to carry the opponent all the way to a wall without using a bound move. And etc. etc.

-You can also use the shoulder buttons of your controller and assign more commands. This may make things easier in some aspects. Or harder if using 8 buttons is too much to keep track of. Depends on how you work.

I could seriously go on. I'm going to stop.

Degen

I have a few playlist ideas, some with more Snoop than others, but I'll start with Prodigy's "Omen (Reprise)" for Heavenly Garden and "Omen" for Fallen Garden, just to tie the stages together

the idea seems cool in my head anyway lol

Sayah

Glad you like those other Max Anarchy tracks Sayah.

I've finally figured out the perfect song for heavenly garden. This is seriously a match made in heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-ww8BL4O0

Nice theme.

Thanks! Oh man, you bringing up F-Zero just reminded me of the Extreme-G series on the N64. I recall that game having a pretty solid soundtrack so I'll be checking it out shortly. Excellent picks from the F-Zero series, definitely going to put the "Lightning" track somewhere on my list.
Haven't heard anything from the Extreme-G series. Post the good tracks that you find plz. :)

Sayah

What commands?

Assuming you are using the default control scheme, LP = square, RP = triangle, LK = X, RK = circle.

So say, you want to use LP+RP. You can assign LP+RP to the L2 button. Instead of pressing square and triangle together, you can just press L2. I hope that makes sense. Go to controller settings to change stuff around.

Dereck

Assuming you are using the default control scheme, LP = square, RP = triangle, LK = X, RK = circle.

So say, you want to use LP+RP. You can assign LP+RP to the L2 button. Instead of pressing square and triangle together, you can just press L2. I hope that makes sense. Go to controller settings to change stuff around.
Yeah, I've been playing Tekken 6 for 2 years and I didn't know I could map buttons to 1+2 and 3+4. This changes everything really.

SDBurton

Decided to post another playlist. Unfortunately Sayah I couldn't find any tracks from Extreme-G that were worth using.

jESfM.png

Some of the tracks listed (in particular the song I'm using for Arctic Dream) do not have an instrumental version on youtube to listen to sadly.

Here are a few from the new list:

Blazed Up Melpomene Remix
Kimi ga Iru Kara
How Crazy Are You?
Morrigan's Theme (MvC)

Now, off to bed.

GrayFoxPL

Decided to post another playlist. Unfortunately Sayah I couldn't find any tracks from Extreme-G that were worth using.

jESfM.png

Some of the tracks listed (in particular the song I'm using for Arctic Dream) do not have an instrumental version on youtube to listen to sadly.

Kimi ga Iru Kara
How Crazy Are You?
Morrigan's Theme (MvC)

Now, off to bed.

That's a real song? o_O

I always though - "boobies!"

I like this win animation.
i9d09Et0sl72p.gif

Wonder if they put some new ones in console version.

AAK

Holy shit I've never seen that! Too good!!

There has to be some unique ones for the DLC and console exclusive characters.

Also to everyone in the US:

NewEgg.com is having a sale for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on both PS3 and 360 (US residents only). The pre-order of TTT2 features $12 off and free shipping. The total comes to $47.99 with the promo code: EMCNBHJ256. Link below.

Link for PS3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879253090

Link for 360 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874156036

SDBurton

That's a real song? o_O

Yeah it is haha.

I really hope they added more winposes. Because the one between Asuka/Jun felt really generic. :/

Everyone in the Mishima/Kazama family should have a special winpose for each combination.

Jamie OD

So much personality has been added for the new game. Not that there wasn't personality before but it felt stale in Tekken 6. Here though it feels like everyone gets to let their hair down and remember to have fun with the game but not at the expense of it.

Sayah

Kimi ga Iru Kara
How Crazy Are You?
Morrigan's Theme (MvC)

Now, off to bed.

That's fine.

And such nice themes. :)
That DoA4 remix is WOW.

I like this win animation.
i9d09Et0sl72p.gif

NICE!
LOL
Godlike! I'm loving this "humor" Tekken games have (I'm pretty new in Tekken)

Tekken 5 had the funniest character endings. I think TTT2 will beat T5 now. Or at least I hope.

Thank you for the advice, Sayah. I'll definitely watch those two videos, and go spend more time in practice mode. I look forward to playing the full game with you guys in a couple of weeks!

Looking forward to playing you as well. :)
I'm definitely making this my character select theme.

I'm gonna be rotating Ignition with the T5 character select.

Sayah

I am officially pissed off. I just watched the quick look of arcade mode and noticed it's tainted with customized AI, including the bosses. Killed the game's single player charm and my hype. Fuck, I just want Tekken in my single player, not multi-color, non textured suits and afros FFS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB23THxUl7c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I usually don't mind stuff like that. But I guess they should have a feature to turn off customized AI.

Also, didn't know that we were still getting Blood Vengeance CG character displays. I'm guessing it's probably exclusive to those that bought Hybrid. In any case, I'm definitely using the Nina BV CG.

Found awesome Tag2 video with "great/star" combos!

Old but still fun to re-watch.

I usually don't mind stuff like that. But I guess they should have a feature to turn off customized AI.

Also, didn't know that we were still getting Blood Vengeance CG character displays. I'm guessing it's probably exclusive to those that bought Hybrid. In any case, I'm definitely using the Nina BV CG.

Old but still fun to re-watch.
Well I'm disgusted by it and canceling my pre-order. The aesthetics are a huge part of holding my interest and since this is ruined, I'm done. Seems dramatic but you can't expect me to appreciate the game for the same reasons as you all.

If you hated trumpets and they made you feel like pouring cedar chips and termites in your ears, I wouldn't expect you to listen to an act that featured them even if they were the best act in the world.

SDBurton

That's fine.
And such nice themes. :)
That DoA4 remix is WOW.

I know right? Can't wait to see how it fits with that stage when I'm playing it.

Well I'm disgusted by it and canceling my pre-order. The aesthetics are a huge part of holding my interest and since this is ruined, I'm done. Seems dramatic but you can't force me to appreciate the game for the same reasons as you all.

It is kinda odd they have it like that, but it's not really worth cancelling a pre-order over imo.

Except that the shot is from the Xbox 360 version, and the Xbox 360 never got Hybrid. Hah.

I'm guessing they'll either be unlockable somehow, or perhaps just available from the start. We'll know for sure in just a few days!

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the customized AI in arcade mode, mainly against the bosses, but at the same time it's not a big deal, really. Would be nice to turn it off somehow, though.

I know right? Can't wait to see how it fits with that stage when I'm playing it.

It is kinda odd they have it like that, but it's not really worth cancelling a pre-order over imo.
Read my edit. I don't play Tekken for gameplay and competition alone.

The look, feel and charm go a long way for me. Once Tekken hit a dead end aesthetically (recycled outfits, stagnant story, reliance on customizations), my interest had waned.

Sayah

Well I'm disgusted by it and canceling my pre-order. The aesthetics are a huge part of holding my interest and since this is ruined, I'm done. Seems dramatic but you can't force me to appreciate the game for the same reasons as you all.

This is a bit out there but okay. It honestly doesn't affect me if there is customized AI. Was perfectly fine with it in T6 Ghost Battles. It especially won't affect me if I can just unlock character endings playing online matches just like in T6. In that case, I'll play through arcade mode 5-6 times and probably no more than that.

But since it's a big concern for you, you should tweet harada and michael murray to let them know that aesthetics matter a lot to you and there better be an option to turn off customizations for AI in arcade mode.

Except that the shot is from the Xbox 360 version, and the Xbox 360 never got Hybrid. Hah.

I'm guessing they'll either be unlockable somehow, or perhaps just available from the start.

OH, NICE.
Everyone gets it.

.shin

Banned
Well I'm disgusted by it and canceling my pre-order. The aesthetics are a huge part of holding my interest and since this is ruined, I'm done.

You can't be serious...

EDIT: Not trying to put you down. Just think that it's a poor choice to drop the game based on customizations. Just saying.

This is a bit out there but okay. It honestly doesn't affect me if there is customized AI. Was perfectly fine with it in T6 Ghost Battles. It especially won't affect me if I can just unlock character endings playing online matches just like in T6. In that case, I'll play through arcade mode 5-6 times and probably no more than that.

But since it's a big concern for you, you should tweet harada and michael murray to let them know that aesthetics matter a lot to you and there better be an option to turn off customizations for AI in arcade mode.

OH, NICE.
Everyone gets it.
I don't have twitter lol. It's cool though. No one else cares. I loved Tekken art on the other hand. But FRAMES AND COMBOS! =/ I appreciated more than that but don't feel the appreciation back...

DEATH™

You can't be serious...

EDIT: Not trying to put you down. Just think that it's a poor choice to drop the game based on customizations. Just saying.

As much as I'm disappointed with it, that's his money... Though if that's the only reason moonsault's buying the game then he's seriously missing out... No offense to moonsault.

AAK

Hope to see you again for Tekken X Street Fighter ;)

EDIT: And guys, Moonsault is legit. He's not looking for a reason to not preorder. This was genuinely somethin he was eagerly anticipating that was taken away. I respect his decision. It's analagous to me and DmC. I honestly didn't play the series for the gameplay other than DMC1. I played it because I actually fell in love with the lore and characters (Dante/Vergil/Lady/Trish/Nero/etc) and now that they reboot the series I have no interest in getting it since it took away the last thing I cherished about the series.

You can't be serious...

DEATH™;41348680 said:
As much as I'm disappointed with it, that's his money... Though if that's the only reason moonsault's buying the game then he's seriously missing out... No offense to moonsault.
I don't play to memorize what combos to use against an opponent's whiff. I have an appreciation for all that goes into the look, feel, sound and flavor of Tekken. But that is wiped. I have no mode to rekindle my old school attachment to the series. Ghost battle is one thing, in the staple SP mode of the series...? Ugh.

Playing dress-up is half the reason I even play fighting games anymore. *shrug*

To me the act of playing videogames is expression, and I'm going to have a hell of a time expressing myself when somebody is juggling me so hard I may as well put the controller down.
At least with customization I can still get my expression on and make my scrubbiness look good.

Hope to see you again for Tekken X Street Fighter ;)

EDIT: And guys, Moonsault is legit. He's not looking for a reason to not preorder. This was genuinely somethin he was eagerly anticipating that was taken away. I respect his decision. It's analagous to me and DmC. I honestly didn't play the series for the gameplay other than DMC1. I played it because I actually fell in love with the lore and characters (Dante/Vergil/Lady/Trish/Nero/etc) and now that they reboot the series I have no interest in getting it since it took away the last thing I cherished about the series.
Thanks dude. I was so looking forward to this. I became a gaming addict because of T2, my s/n is Tekken related, and I have Jin's ink on my own arm. I may not be competitively up to snuff, but I've been a fan for 15+ years, exactly half my life, longer than most anything else (besides my affinity for the NY Giants).

Sayah

I don't have twitter lol. It's cool though. No one else cares. I loved Tekken art on the other hand. But FRAMES AND COMBOS! =/ I appreciated more than that but don't feel the appreciation back...
Someone else here want to send a tweet then?
Or if MarkMan and FilthieRich are reading, they can probably forward your concern to the devs. :)

And hopefully also ask them to not make Snoop Dogg the default first stage every single time. I would be irritated with that if I ended up playing arcade mode a lot to unlock character endings.

I hope we can use classic Tekken renders as our character displays. effeminate Tekken 1 Marshall Law ftw

I don't think we'll get the classic renders but it would be really cool to have them.

Someone else here want to send a tweet then?
Or if MarkMan and FilthieRich are reading, they can probably forward your concern to the devs. :)

And hopefully also ask them to not make Snoop Dogg the default first stage every single time. I would be irritated with that if I ended up playing arcade mode a lot to unlock character endings.
First is best though. Easy AI dispatched, onto awesome from there on out.

SDBurton

Browsing youtube looking for more ideas and suddenly remembered the OST to Killer Instinct. Talk about the height of that nostalgia wave.

If I get legit confirmation that they'll patch in a bare bones mode, I may ask gamestop if they can hold my pre-order like a layaway if I keep paying little by little as if I was broke as shit but truthfully just waiting for the patch. Taking no chances haha.

AAK

Yup, that was only for the E3 build. It's no longer that way.

Sayah

Browsing youtube looking for more ideas and suddenly remembered the OST to Killer Instinct. Talk about the height of that nostalgia wave.

DAMN IT SDBURTON.
I really had the biggest nostalgia wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ2_lQrxfGQ&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixdgDWWkAw&feature=related

What's so wrong about dressing up deadly assassins as fast food mascots?

And it begins........lol.

If I get legit confirmation that they'll patch in a bare bones mode, I may ask gamestop if they can hold my pre-order like a layaway if I keep paying little by little as if I was broke as shit but truthfully just waiting for the patch. Taking no chances haha.
Just have $5 paid for the pre-order and wait to see if there's an announcement.

Dereck

Haha. If Snoop's stage is always first, that'd be the best because the first match's AI can be easily/hastily dispatched and you won't have to play on it again, even against tougher AI that'd force you to hear/play it longer.

Dereck

I hope we can use classic Tekken renders as our character displays. effeminate Tekken 1 Marshall Law ftw
This game should have had every single costume that every character wore in every iteration of the series. I don't really see a reason why not. That means that every character would have around 8 different default costumes. If not that, they should have the retro costumes available in customization mode.

Top Bottom