• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't change the fact.

I'd love to hear anyone say otherwise and explain why T7 has more to discover coming from TTT2 vs SFV coming from SFIV.

It does because you don't know what you are talking about. I've played both game. There is barely anything new in SFV. Every single mechanic is old. The games has lost more stuff than Tekken 7 did coming from Tag 2. SFV has the most bare bones combo system EVER and is no new universal gameplay mechanic that changes anything about how you play a generic SF game.

Let's compare look at what's changed gameplay wise.

-Tekken 7 has new combo system, big changes to the oki, the addition of armor moves, the addition of supers, brand new hitstuns, changes to the throws system, big changes to the movement system, and tons of move property changes.

-SFV has move property changes, changes to movement, new hit stuns, added V-system, and brought back alpha counters.

Alpha counters are an old mechanic they brought back the V-system is literally a revamped Ultra system from SFIV.

The only reason you THINK Tekken 7 has less to discover is because Tekken 7 has actually been released for 5 months and we've been seeing it since beta for almost a year now.

I figured out everything about Nash, a basically brand new character in like 2 hours. I figured out his Max damage combo easy. Why? Cause nothing had changed from SFIV. It was simple, find what links into what(only like 18 moves to test) then you pick the most damaging special and/or Super. YAWN. With Nash if you had V-Skill you could use that too you just rinse and repeat.

Look at Claudio. It took months for people to find the optimal combos and we still might not have them yet. Specifically I can name 5 Claudio Bnbs that people have evolved from since the game came out.

-u/f+4, f+3, ff+4, b+3, 212
The original combo people discovered the first month

-u/f+4, f+3, ff+4, b+3, f+2, b+42
The 2nd and better combo people discovered months later. More damage better positioning.

-u/f+4 f+3, ff+4, b+3, f+211+2
The 3rd combo which leads to more damage but at the cost of not getting Starburst. The go to BnB when when you already have a Starburst charge and/or want better damage.

-u/f+4, f+3, ff+4, b+3, 1, fff+2
The 4th combo which is even better than the other 3. Similar damage to combo 3 but you get Starburst, better positioning but this one is harder to execute.

u/f+4 ff+4 b+3 (ff b+3, f+2, f+3, fff+2) or (f+2 f+3...) for specific extensions.
The 5th combo variation and arguably the best. Discovered by HelpMe. Leads to damage on par with the 3rd combo if you go for the damage version OR can be used as a wall carry or Oki set up using the other.

So can we cut the BS that Tekken 7 doesn't have a lot to discover.

sasuke_91

Oh. Ours seemed completely unplayable and you played afew times with him which meant it was atleast better. Should have said that.No way it is decent with that distance.
We played like that for a year^^
I don't know how bad it was for you. I got used to the lag after a few games, but it was pretty bad to be honest.

I got home half an hour ago. Wanna play a few matches now?

Numb

We played like that for a year^^
I don't know how bad it was for you. I got used to the lag after a few games, but it was pretty bad to be honest.

I got home half an hour ago. Wanna play a few matches now?

Yep. On my way.
Srry was doing something

sasuke_91

Good games guys.
Numb, playing you and Tosin was really hard. I don't mind lag, what throws me off are lag spikes and the overall unstable connection. It was horrible when you and Doom left. I let him kill me at the end because the connection was so bad. It normally works with you, but you have your bad days sometimes. Your router never skips lag day I guess :p (sorry for the bad joke)
Doomshine, I should stop using 1+2 throws against you in certain situations. You have gotten better at breaking throws in general.

I should really work on my raw tags. I panic too fast when my character is low on health and raw tag immediately instead of waiting for the right opportunity.

AAK

Thanks for the reply ZTS, now let me address some things directly.

You just posted a lot about how people are optimizing Claudio's combo's till today. That sounds good and I agree that combo's are not going to be a copy paste, but the structure is still the same as before with a Launcher, Filler/Bound (interchangable), Ender. Sure you can discover new strings to squeeze the amount of damage dealt... but that's where the disovery ends. And same thing with SFV. I don't see why the same thing can't be applied to SFV. How do you know that your current max damage combo with Nash can't be optimized further by someone like biffoTasty, Sako, or other guys like them.

But now that combo's are out of the way, what about neutral game? If I play a character like Leo for example, what is there to discover in T7 when it comes to the neutral game that isn't in TTT2? You walk up you apply your same pressure game with d/f+1's, flash duck at long ranges to bait an action to punish with the long range ws+2, wall carry with your f+4 into ws+3 loops along with the bound, abuse the safe HCable d/b+1+2 mixup at the wall, abuse her 12f mid, etc. Where is the new mechanic in the game to spice up the character that I've been playing for the past 5+ years? How does something like armor moves and supers change her game? What can I fish for with these "new mechanics"? From what little I've seen of SFV, the V system makes characters play completely different. I remember watching the E3 vids and seeing Justin playing Bison unlike anything like SFIV. I see some Gifs floating around of Alex Valle doing Denjin fireball set-ups with Ryu that is a brand new frontier for Ryu to build upon where there was nothing of the sort in SFIV. With Tekken 7, I can copy and paste my strategies with TTT2 Leo and I'm pretty much taking advantage of most of the character's potential already... I can't say the same with SFV.

Again, I don't care much about SFV and have close to no drive to go buy,learn,play it once it comes out. I think I'll be spending much more time with Revelator since that kind of game appeals to me more. But the point is, when I see these random vids of Street Fighter V's fighters being played in completely brand new ways just makes me jealous and sad Namco isn't doing the same with Tekken. There are so many good ideas out there waiting to be implemented.

Manbig

Let's compare look at what's changed gameplay wise.

-Tekken 7 has new combo system, big changes to the oki, the addition of armor moves, the addition of supers, brand new hitstuns, changes to the throws system, big changes to the movement system, and tons of move property changes.

-SFV has move property changes, changes to movement, new hit stuns, added V-system, and brought back alpha counters.

Alpha counters are an old mechanic they brought back the V-system is literally a revamped Ultra system from SFIV.

The only reason you THINK Tekken 7 has less to discover is because Tekken 7 has actually been released for 5 months and we've been seeing it since beta for almost a year now.

I figured out everything about Nash, a basically brand new character in like 2 hours. I figured out his Max damage combo easy. Why? Cause nothing had changed from SFIV. It was simple, find what links into what(only like 18 moves to test) then you pick the most damaging special and/or Super. YAWN. With Nash if you had V-Skill you could use that too you just rinse and repeat.

Look at Claudio. It took months for people to find the optimal combos and we still might not have them yet. Specifically I can name 5 Claudio Bnbs that people have evolved from since the game came out.

-u/f+4, f+3, ff+4, b+3, 212
The original combo people discovered the first month

-u/f+4, f+3, ff+4, b+3, f+2, b+42
The 2nd and better combo people discovered months later. More damage better positioning.

-u/f+4 f+3, ff+4, b+3, f+211+2
The 3rd combo which leads to more damage but at the cost of not getting Starburst. The go to BnB when when you already have a Starburst charge and/or want better damage.

-u/f+4, f+3, ff+4, b+3, 1, fff+2
The 4th combo which is even better than the other 3. Similar damage to combo 3 but you get Starburst, better positioning but this one is harder to execute.

u/f+4 ff+4 b+3 (ff b+3, f+2, f+3, fff+2) or (f+2 f+3...) for specific extensions.
The 5th combo variation and arguably the best. Discovered by HelpMe. Leads to damage on par with the 3rd combo if you go for the damage version OR can be used as a wall carry or Oki set up using the other.

So can we cut the BS that Tekken 7 doesn't have a lot to discover.

- SFV also has a new combo system by forcing characters to rely on slower normals, so the footsie game is completely changed.

- The removal of hard knockdown and addition of back recovery completely changes up the oki game in SFV.

- V Skills and Triggers are complete game changing mechanics. Sure, it's not innovative, but it gives each character a very unique ability. The closest comparison is the Drive button in Blazblue.

- Combos are not the only thing to learn about a character in either game, yet you are focusing a lot on this. Just because you learned some combos with Nash, even if they end up being the most optimal ones, doesn't mean you learned everything about him. That is an absolutely ludicrous statement to make.

- SFV also has the changes to chip damage, which drastically changes how pressuring in the game, and sealing out a round works. Being unable to chip kill without super is a much bigger deal than most people probably think. It will probably make for a lot of very tense moments.

- While Alpha Counters are an old mechanic, the defensive game in SFV is completely different from the alpha series. With the way that chip damage works in this game, it is more important to have a mechanic like this than it was before. It was a great inclusion.

What I'm getting at here is that both games have had drastic changes, but still feel like proper entries in their respective franchises.

Sayah

Let's just all look forward to SFV and Tekken 7.

I played a lot more of SFV since the beta has been a lot more responsive lately. The visuals are obviously great. But as far as gameplay, it's still not a game that I can commit to on a competitive level. Seems like SF will remain good casual fun for me, which isn't a bad thing at all actually.

No prob. Now spill if you gonna continue with Yo-Gi-oh and not getting MGSV like many in here?

I'm continuing playing yugioh for the time being. lol.

I did buy the MGS Legacy Collection so I'm gonna play through all the games in that before I touch MGSV. Unless story sequence doesn't matter with this franchise and I can play in any order I want.

Wonder how long Grayfox has till he makes his return.

It's been kind of empty without his funny posts here.

Welcome back Sayah!

Welcome back Sayah!

Thanks guys!

Dereck

Let's just all look forward to SFV and Tekken 7.
Eh, jokes aside Tekken 7 just has zero momentum to me. It's almost a year old, I only care about Katarina, and I don't care for the way it looks.

With that said though, I'm hoping they announce something(s) soon that will change my mind.

lupinko

Add me to the welcome brigade, glad to have ya back Sayah.

Anyhow I'm almost there with hoodlum Dragunov.

EX8S1RW.png

Sayah

^^^^

Once again, thanks guys. :)

Eh, jokes aside Tekken 7 just has zero momentum to me. It's almost a year old, I only care about Katarina, and I don't care for the way it looks.

With that said though, I'm hoping they announce something(s) soon that will change my mind.

You forget about all that once you play it. I had similar back and forth negative perceptions but once you play it, you forget about all that.

It's just fun to play. If you like Tekken, you'll like it. Yes, it's not giving much as far as new gameplay mechanics go but the new features it does have give off this brilliant, satisfactory pop-off effect. Like it's never felt this good to land a punch or kick in any game ever created. Definitely buying a TV sound bar just for this game to maximize the enjoyment.

On the alternate end, it could be true that after playing enough of this game, it could get old fast but so far it's been fun.

Add me to the welcome brigade, glad to have ya back Sayah.

Anyhow I'm almost there with hoodlum Dragunov.

EX8S1RW.png
Did they update his face model?

DEATH™

Guys, reading the "why R Mika is popular?" Thread... I gotta ask/say...

Some people are ACTIVELY looking for things they get offended to. But why?

lupinko

Yeah that thread and the Ryu one are really out there.

Also I found the Tekken best/worst amusing because it shows who plays the games and who doesn't.

Numb

Yeah that thread and the Ryu one are really out there.

Also I found the Tekken best/worst amusing because it shows who plays the games and who doesn't.
It was amusing. Beards are welcome and always improve things. Cant even imagine Jinpachi without his.

I didnt now there were people who hated T5.
Thought most liked it or didnt care.

Dereck

Yeah we should all be past the point of getting frustrated about it, if anything those threads are perfect barometers of the casual public opinion, and the answers were predictable. Nothing I hadn't heard before.

Sayah

Just read the Tekken best/worst thread on my commute. Can't believe how many people hate T6 BR. Yes, it had terrible netcode, bad loading times, scenario campaign sucked, and half the new character designs were awful but when you get to the actual gameplay, it is only topped by TTT2 IMO.

Now if only namco could create a Tekken that has the aesthetics of Tekken 4 and the near-gameplay perfection that is T6. These are the two games people are hating on most but if you take their best aspects and merge those ideas together, it would be the best Tekken.

Didn't have time to read all those SF threads.

Dereck

Just read the Tekken best/worst thread on my commute. Can't believe how many people hate T6 BR. Yes, it had terrible netcode, bad loading times, scenario campaign sucked, and half the new character designs were awful but when you get to the actual gameplay, it is only topped by TTT2 IMO.
Shows the difference in what certain players care about. I thought BR was my favorite Tekken after I had played Tag 2 for 3 years straight. BR being a good game was never part of my argument however, but as you can see casual players rate the entire game along with the gameplay and that's fair.

sasuke_91

For the casual player, Tekken 6 is just a game about juggling and juggling is "too hard". T6 is a ridiculously great game. If only the netcode was better.
Numb, Doomshine, SquirrelSoup, do you guys have T6? I'd love to play that with you now and then. I played with GrayFox a few times already.

Now if only namco could create a Tekken that has the aesthetics of Tekken 4 and the near-gameplay perfection that is T6. These are the two games people are hating on most but if you take their best aspects and merge those ideas together, it would be the best Tekken.

That would be great. I'd love a Tekken similar to T4!

DEATH™

Didn't have time to read all those SF threads.

Just like bout said, its about the whole package. Lackluster package, grim setting, repetitive single player, and not so hype release (you already know all about the game for like 2 years worth of arcade footage, prob the longest wait we had for a console port). And you got a overall lackluster release.

I cannot blame them, especially at this point in people's lives where they just want to go play a game to chill out after a hard day of work. I really do think T6 is a great arcade game where you can chill with alot of same minded people but its a bad game to play in your house alone. Namco lucked out that the price went down really quick for some reason.

Manbig

Really, Bout?

The Tekken game that you have never played and have only seen a bunch of footage of is the worst Tekken game of all time? Also, it's a location test, not an alpha. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom