• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

av2k

Watching knee vs jdcr live.. not sure what event this is but it's "spotvgames live"

The crowd is definitely into it.

Rooting for LuckyChloe player vs Knee..
1-1

sasuke_91

The more I keep seeing stuff like this.................

CS75ZINUkAAv0Pn.png

Dragunov looks so damn ugly in this game, and that hair makes it even worse...

DEATH™;184614986 said:
Wow. I only use 1 tag throw with Hwo/Steve.

I watched The Raid for the first time yesterday (first one) and damn, you guys weren't kidding. This movie is pure greatness from first to last minute. Now I have to watch the second one.

Sayah

Dragunov looks so damn ugly in this game, and that hair makes it even worse...

Character modeling from Tekken 6 was on point. See my comparison post here.

I don't know who they hired to model their characters for Tekken 7. Either these people are lacking skills.......or they're just having trouble with a new engine.

AAK

Watching knee vs jdcr live.. not sure what event this is but it's "spotvgames live"

The crowd is definitely into it.

Rooting for LuckyChloe player vs Knee..
1-1

It's a qualification tournament for the Global Championship of Tekken 7. Knee now joins Secret and Help Me as the 3 general division qualifiers. The remaining 3 I think are for the winners of a 3v3 tournament.

When Knee beat JDCR... I've never seen him celebrate so hard haha.

GrayFoxPL

I watched The Raid for the first time yesterday (first one) and damn, you guys weren't kidding. This movie is pure greatness from first to last minute. Now I have to watch the second one.

The Raid is one of my favorite action movies.

They say the sequel is greatest thing ever, but I disagree. I was disappointed.
The things I loved about the original: simple script/story, tightly packed action sequences coming right one after another, lots of martial arts, few nicely written characters.

Raid 2 like totally different type of movie with forced "Raid" connection. It's a good movie, just bad Raid sequel imo. Production values are much greater, the scale is much bigger.
But also the movie has long and convoluted story that drags on. Something like 57 characters with their own substories and halfway through you don't know who, what, why and you start not giving a shit. There is also much more pure action scenes like shooting, brawling, chasing instead of martial art fights. I was disappointed at this exchange. The movie feels way too long and drags in places. It's just not paced well.

Iko Uwais is still pure badass but apart of him I only cared about one other character through whole movie.

If I was only to count the action scenes Raid: Berandal would one of be the greatest movies ever, but I gotta judge it as whole thing and like that is no way as good as the original.

Oh shit I did a review. Don't worry, no spoilers.

Sayah

Went to play more Tekken 7 today and the machines are gone. :(

So is Pokken.

What do I do with all these left over Dave and busters points?

Oh well. :|

The wait for console release begins. I wasn't enjoying playing with arcade sticks anyway.

AAK

Rip recently retweeted a reddit thread about Tekken. In it one of the comments is a really good reply to what Joeblow was talking about here:

Well, as I continue to point out, there are far more T7-only "Tekken-ish" updates than some realize, and I don't feel an evolving game has to incorporate a ton of never-seen-before features to be a legit sequel (i.e., almost all sports games, competitive games like Counterstrike, etc.). In all those cases, a developer could simply tweak an existing game as you say instead of releasing a sequel.

The comment quoted Tekken 3 Director Yutaka Kounoe:

"The Tekken that emerged after I left has fallen below my expectations. It's a lot easier to create 'arrangements' of old games than to make something new. To still be relying on Tekken even now is proof that Namco's real strength has disappeared, and I'm shocked by the decline in creativity and development ability. It's shameful to call yourself a developer or a creator if you can't design new games. Relying only on collaborations that will sell well shows a lack of imagination, and it's not going to set the world on fire."

Pretty powerful quote....

Also, Sasuke, you're in a for a treat when when you see the Raid 2!

Rip recently retweeted a reddit thread about Tekken. In it one of the comments is a really good reply to what Joeblow was talking about here:

"The Tekken that emerged after I left has fallen below my expectations. It's a lot easier to create 'arrangements' of old games than to make something new. To still be relying on Tekken even now is proof that Namco's real strength has disappeared, and I'm shocked by the decline in creativity and development ability. It's shameful to call yourself a developer or a creator if you can't design new games. Relying only on collaborations that will sell well shows a lack of imagination, and it's not going to set the world on fire."

Nothing powerful about that quote. Tekken 1 & 2 are complete shit. They were at the time nothing but VF rip offs. Tekken 3 is when the series finally evolved into something worth playing. This is just typical developer trash talk.

GrayFoxPL

Nothing powerful about that quote. Tekken 1 & 2 are complete shit. They were at the time nothing but VF rip offs. Tekken 3 is when the series finally evolved into something worth playing. This is just typical developer trash talk.

How Tekken 1 & 2 was a VF ripoff when those games neither looked, felt or played the same.

Sounds like you never played those games in 96.

Tekken 2 was great at it's time. First that introduced real stuns and visible special ch properties. Also later sidesteps were copied from Kazuya's f,n.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Okay... well the quote comes from the Tekken 3 director

Sayah

He apparently is annoyed that Namco didn't kill the Tekken series and continued making more sequels?

I disagree with that statement personally. Namco would be crazy stupid and it would be a terrible business decision to not make more Tekken games after Tekken 3, the highest selling game in the franchise at over 8 million+ copies. The funny thing is that after Tekken 3, they did explore other creative gameplay ideas (such as the tag system with Tag 1 and then with everything Tekken 4 introduced).

Even Tekken Tag 2's main feature (tag assault) is truly a creative development and I would applaud the Tekken team over their ability to balance it so well.

It's with Tekken 7 now that the gameplay has sort of stagnated and I'm wishing for a new IP because they apparently can't seem to take the existing gameplay system to newer depths.

GrayFoxPL

He apparently is annoyed that Namco didn't kill the Tekken series and continued making more sequels?

I disagree with that statement personally. Namco would be crazy stupid and it would be a terrible business decision to not make more Tekken games after Tekken 3, the highest selling game in the franchise at over 8 million+ copies. The funny thing is that after Tekken 3, they did explore other gameplay ideas (such as the tag system with Tag 1 and then with everything Tekken 4 introduced).

Even Tekken Tag 2's main feature (tag assault) is truly a creative development and I would applaud the Tekken team over their ability to balance it so well.

It's with Tekken 7 now that the gameplay has sort of stagnated and I'm wishing for a new IP because they apparently can't seem to take the existing gameplay system to newer depths.

I understood it differently. He complained about 'arrangements' of old games so by "new games" he probably meant huge jumps between games like T2- T3.

That's how I understood it at least.

Funny that what he said is more true now then ever. He'll probably call T7 a "cosmetic modification" and he wouldn't be far off.

I disagree with that statement personally. Namco would be crazy stupid and it would be a terrible business decision to not make more Tekken games after Tekken 3, the highest selling game in the franchise at over 8 million+ copies. The funny thing is that after Tekken 3, they did explore other creative gameplay ideas (such as the tag system with Tag 1 and then with everything Tekken 4 introduced).

I should really get off my ass and make a PowerPoint presentation for Harada before they keep making more Tekken games that veer away from my ideas.

Interesting nugget: Harada was spell corrected to Harass. Point taken haha.

Sayah

I understood it differently. He complained about 'arrangements' of old games so by "new games" he probably meant huge jumps between games like T2- T3.

That's how I understood it at least.

Funny that what he said is more true now then ever. He'll probably call T7 a "cosmetic modification" and he wouldn't be far off.

From the way I interpreted it, he was dissing Namco and its developers for still "relying" on the Tekken brand and not just talking about jumps between sequels.

To still be relying on Tekken even now is proof that Namco's real strength has disappeared

I dug up the time frame of the quote (June 2012) and this is right before Tekken Tag 2 released on consoles worldwide, in which case I would disagree with him even more because I see TTT2 as a very creative milestone in the franchise thanks to its staple tag assault feature. It's the near perfect Tekken game that consolidates all of the franchise's past history (both gameplay features and characters) in a single package as a love letter to the fans.

GrayFoxPL

From the way I interpreted it, he was dissing Namco and its developers for still "relying" on the Tekken brand and not just talking about jumps between sequels.

I dug up the time frame of the quote (June 2012) and this is right before Tekken Tag 2 released on consoles worldwide, in which case I would disagree with him even more because I see TTT2 as a very creative milestone in the franchise thanks to its staple tag assault feature. It's the near perfect Tekken game that consolidates all of the franchise's past history (both gameplay features and characters) in a single package as a love letter to the fans.

Ah I see, you're right.

I can understand how he felt. In the old times new games were coming out like "mushrooms after the rain". Every game company had dozens of different games and relying on sequels wasn't that common.

Today's gaming mostly relays on sequels since it now costs many millions to make a game.

Golden age is over.

Ah I see, you're right.

I can understand how he felt. In the old times new games were coming out like "mushrooms after the rain". Every game company had dozens of different games and relying on sequels wasn't that common.

Today's gaming mostly relays on sequels since it now costs many millions to make a game.

Golden age is over.
Good point.

GrayFoxPL

Btw guys, teorethically:

If Tekken Team had developed a completely new fighting game franchise that would be aimed as AAA fighting game from the start and wouldn't share a pixel or a frame with Tekken, but you have to take under consideration that Tekken would take twice longer to get released since those games would be out one after another in exchange.

Would you like that?

Would you risk it since there's no guarantee you'll like "New Fighter X"?

MikeMyers

I don't think we'd get another Tekken 3-like success from this series because that game was really a case of being in the right place at the right time.

It came when the PS1 was peaking in popularity, and the competition was really weak at the time (MK and SF were going through an awkward phase of deciding wherever to stay 2D or go 3D, VF was glued to a dead Sega Saturn, and DOA1/Soul Blade were still only beginning to rise).

Dereck

Btw guys, teorethically:

If Tekken Team had developed a completely new fighting game franchise that would be aimed as AAA fighting game from the start and wouldn't share a pixel or a frame with Tekken, but you have to take under consideration that Tekken would take twice longer to get released since those games would be out one after another in exchange.

Would you like that?

Would you risk it since there's no guarantee you'll like "New Fighter X"?
You're asking us this question, and I'm confused because I don't think you or anyone else would actually answer yes to any of this.

Someone else could make it.

GrayFoxPL

You're asking us this question, and I'm confused because I don't think you or anyone else would actually answer yes to any of this.

Someone else could make it.

Few years back I'd say no, but at this point, seeing how they got completely stale and burned out with T7, I'd say yes. I'd take that risk. If T8 is gonna be T7 + one new gimmick then what's the point?

Dereck

I knew you'd respond with some logical shit. Yeah, I agree with you there.

Namco should just quit man, stop making stuff. Sit down some where. But before they do, drop that Tekken 4 online ver.

DEATH™;184733651 said:
That's what I'm thinking too when I read that...

People praising T4 aesthetics now. Yeah aesthetics is good and all but they think Lars and Bob was bad? Wait for T4 Jin.

lol exactly or the runner up Steven.

av2k

It's a qualification tournament for the Global Championship of Tekken 7. Knee now joins Secret and Help Me as the 3 general division qualifiers. The remaining 3 I think are for the winners of a 3v3 tournament.

When Knee beat JDCR... I've never seen him celebrate so hard haha.

haha oh man, Knee was definitely popping off. I was kind of sad to see that Lucky Chloe did not win vs knee :(

Sayah

oh wow.......
somebody drew a picture and it coincidentally demonstrates exactly what I was talking about. lolololol.

CTS47RVUAAAzqy-.jpg

joeblow

I guess I can't respond until I too have played it like you have. I'll have to wait until 2017 to see if the T7-only Tekkenish updates are as substantial as it seems. But on the topic of the sport analogy... if the current Tekken 3-6 system really is basketball and people want to play basketball you can always go back and play that sport, it's not going anywhere. When I see a company with as much money as Namco come and set out to make a brand new product I do want something new. Like basketball, I can always go back and play the games from the that era. They're not going anywhere. It all feels like such a wasted opportunity.

But at the very least, you have to at least agree that the presentation is very lackluster. The magnitude of re-working to characters done in Tekken 7 is by far the smallest amount seen ever in a numbered sequel for the series history. Even Tekken 5 and Tekken 6 which again are based off TTT1/T3 had their characters almost always have a plethora of new attacks and animations that really evoked a next generation level sequel. The biggest offence is how Namco flat out refused to do simple things that were staples in previous Tekkens. The bound replacement in this game only has one animation while the T6-Bound and TA animations were taken care of regardless of the orientation. The 2P outfits are taken out. The stages are missing so many effects like the snow trails that were already in Tekken 6. All these things were missing in the location tests too and I assumed everything would be added in the final release. Boy was I surprised :(

I haven't cared for most of the new character designs of the game starting with T6. T7 is no different in that regard. I'm not overly interested in the fashion design aspect of the game, but I figure that anyone who really cares about it may want to wait for the home version to come out before being bothered by what is there at this point. I will make it a point to "fix" some ugly default choices though, like LC's cat gloves and safety gear.

Also, why does that RA of Xiaoyu work? Shaheen should be able to still block while being at disadvantage?

The RA is free because of the huge frame advantage she gets on block with that attack. There are probably free RAs for every character vs. attacks with terrible block recovery, like Jack's baseball slide and maybe Feng's i12 shoulder (-25 on block). I'm just guessing though.

If he had watched the finish of this close T7 round, he'd take back those words and apologize. No other fighter can give you quality entertainment like that. :p

Also, Sasuke, you're in a for a treat when when you see the Raid 2!
This is basically what I've been saying for a few years. The market has spoken and 3D fighters have lost. But I don't think it's because 3D is inherently unpopular, I think it's the kind of primarily up close
phone booth
fighting and heavily string dependent gameplay that people have rejected. That's why it's my hope that Namco will make a game that makes use of the strengths of 2D with the strengths of 3D. I'd hate to see lateral movement and z-axis angles disappear completely into niche fighting but unless Namco or someone makes a game using more of the 2D hallmarks that folks really like that's the direction we're headed in.

EDIT: That close match slowdown is the shit though.

EDIT 2: Funnily enough, I think the Tekken team has decided to copy some things from 2D but they're copying the wrong things or copying them incorrectly. They're killing lateral movement which wasn't the problem to begin with and they've introduced armored moves and supers without meter management which makes them not as interesting mechanically.

MikeMyers

All the 3D Fighters are on decline commercially it seems....except for DOA.

Too bad Itagaki's not around anymore. His trolling was hilarious.

sasuke_91

Thanks for the Raid review GrayFox :D
A lot of my friends told me that the second one is a different kind of movie. The majority prefers The Raid 2 though.

Can someone tell me the name of Steve player here?
Whenever I see Steve players like that I feel like I'm just mashing buttons compared to that :D

Good games Doomshine, nice Paul. When did you start playing him? You still have to get his combos down, so I guess rather recently. You have to evolve into more of a scumbag though and kill me with his 50/50 :p
Rabbit is a decent player, but it seems like you guys had a terrible connection.

Doomshine

Good games Doomshine, nice Paul. When did you start playing him?.

GGs. A few days ago. I'm still trying out different tag partners.

Also figured out why I could never seem to do demo man correctly when I've messed around with Paul in the past. Apparently you can't button buffer the last hit if you want blue sparks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom