• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
People often remark about the fact that Tekken has never taken itself too seriously. I think Tekken 4 is one of the better games in the series partly because the game took itself a little bit serious.

Dereck

People often remark about the fact that Tekken has never taken itself too seriously. I think Tekken 4 is the best in the series partly because the game took itself a little bit serious.
BA7T9Cz.jpg

GrayFoxPL

People often remark about the fact that Tekken has never taken itself too seriously. I think Tekken 4 is one of the better games in the series partly because the game took itself a little bit serious.

They signed a real writer to co-write the story. He wasn't a big name, tv movie writer, but good enough to make something coherent out of T4 story.

Remember how Bryan was dying and in the end Bosconovitch said he'll have to mechanize his body? That when he'll wake up (in Tekken 5) he'll be rebuild in a completely new body?

Well big fucking nothing came out off that didn't it?

Probably because at the last second "someone" said: "Ahhhhh....no. We will not remake Bryan. Just write that he kills everyone, lol."

Even though character remakes in Tekken came out pretty fucking good.

I guess they should just hire Urobutcher to write a story like everyone else is doing these days then.

lol

--
Edit: Holy shit some people. They play on garbage wireless and then when the connection inevitably drops they accuse you of ragequitting

i can't

i just can't

Sayah

I'll write the story. >_>

But seriously, I've always wanted a high quality Tekken anime filled with action and adventure. Maybe if there could be space to feature a 12 episode or so anime on the game disc to present the story.......it would be pretty cool. They could also separately make revenue off the anime by selling blu-rays and streaming rights to Netflix/Hulu/Crunchy Roll, etc.

Just an idea.
If what you say is true, then why did Tekken 5 manage to be a big leap after Tekken 4 sold significantly worse than Tekken Tag 1? Why didn't the budget of Tekken fall after the underperformance there?

In the end, what really is the point of continuing the series a this point if they're not willing to invest anymore in it? If Tekken is just going to keep getting a marginal and marginal budget as you both claim, and as a result stop trying to evolve/innovate, then why bother? Why not move on at this point?

Agreed!!
While I realize it can be tough budget-wise creating HD games, I still expect quality because other fighting games such as MKX and SFV haven't been compromising on quality.

If you think Namco are suddenly going to completely change the customisation system in Tekken 7 and, as one poster suggested, reanimate half the moves in the the game, then I would really like the drugs you're on, because mine are clearly not strong enough.

FWIW I'd be incredibly annoyed if customisation was removed, just add an option not to show customs for the 'Bawww my immersion' crowd.

That's the problem, they can't make an option to not show customs because some of them impact gameplay.

And I absolutely expect them to completely revamp the existing customization system.
It's recycled directly from TTT2 (or most of it anyway). Definitely not gonna tolerate that.

I wouldn't mind if Namco started making outfits as DLC and charge for them just like how Capcom is doing it right now. People would go buy it if they are goodlooking and they'll make some profit out of it.

Losing customization wouldn't hurt them. They'll get rid of the silly image these customization created and it will be way less testing. Namco spends hours/ days on testing all customization items when half of them will never be used.

I'm just saying I would like it if they went Capcom style and make outfits more mature like in T4.

I wished.

DEATH™;185134391 said:
And SCV have mostly generic customization. Does that mean that using generics are bad?

This is why we can't have nice things. Don't lump everything good on one thing and everything on another bad. I mean, look at your description, just because its from TTT2, it's automatically bad? Yes, the balloons are bad, but if that halterneck looks good enough that people do fanart with it, then its not all bad.

I'm not lumping things as entirely good or entirely bad.
I'm saying TTT2 has a much greater majority of bad custom options, including having very bad color scheme options.

I wouldn't mind if Namco started making outfits as DLC and charge for them just like how Capcom is doing it right now. People would go buy it if they are goodlooking and they'll make some profit out of it.

Losing customization wouldn't hurt them. They'll get rid of the silly image these customization created and it will be way less testing. Namco spends hours/ days on testing all customization items when half of them will never be used.

I'm just saying I would like it if they went Capcom style and make outfits more mature like in T4.

Getting rid of customization imo wouldn't necessarily be fair to the players that can actually implement good customizations on their characters or like tinkering with accessories or options. I feel they can keep things lively and add diversity to character's "familiar" appearances online. A lot of people do mention that most of the characters look the the same with each installment of the franchise, so I think that is way to sort of break the monotony.

Honestly though, I would love to see a deeper customization system or even one on par with Tekken 6 or SC5 if possible. Yeah, some players are capable of making some ugly customizations at times and there are seemingly a plethora of recycled ones in Tekken 7, but honestly I think I see more solid customizations online instead repulsive ones. If a filter would be possible, I think that would be the most beneficial for players who do not want to see them.

Also, I probably rather not get rid of free customization to pay for costumes, at least not a lot of costumes. Not because I am a cheapskate. I am not even remotely close to a cheapskate, trust me. It's simply because I guarantee it will be severely abused like 75% of the other games with DLC, etc.

lupinko

Speaking of customs I bought these by accident with left over banacoins, I wasn't paying attention, I wanted costumes but at least I got two.

Ygdb66Y.png

sRCdDaE.png

MKX solved all the problems with customizations, just make it an entire costume. Mortal Kombat does it better when it comes to presentation. If we leave it up to the fans it will be a troll festival. MKX costumes

GrayFoxPL

Speaking of customs I bought these by accident with left over banacoins, I wasn't paying attention, I wanted costumes but at least I got two.

Ygdb66Y.png

Shaheen looks so young.

Ggs Doomshine. That's a great Paul. Still no idea how to fight Wang. Later I couldn't stop you at all. Nice!

GrayFoxPL

^So pretty.

I think they went away from including actual real places.

Just make a random stage. "This could be like..Norway or something." "Ok, lol."

That Paul T7 stage looks like middle of New York.

GrayFoxPL

AAK

I better start practicing on pad just to avoid all the hassle of modding + buying converters for my stick.

So far only Western devs bothered with the skullgirls driver. It's looking extremely unlikely Namco or anyone wise will follow suit.

sasuke_91

MKX solved all the problems with customizations, just make it an entire costume. Mortal Kombat does it better when it comes to presentation. If we leave it up to the fans it will be a troll festival. MKX costumes

I ignore the bad costumes mostly (except for the really ugly ones some Korean players choose to mock us viewers with), but there are so many great costumes out there that I wouldn't want to miss.
I played a Lei player once and his Lei looked exactly like Yip Man. Never saw someone costumize him like that. Amazingly good.

I know a few players who are really good at costumizing. Ice_Beam being one of them. Or this guy: https://youtu.be/m7d6OQJzfrg

Are you guys gonna play Tekken 7 with a PS4 pad?

I can't do slides on this pad, bloody thumb city. Looking into buying this for my already broken in PS3 pad, so that I can slide away.

http://videogamesnewyork.com/ps3-to-ps4-controller-converter-p4-wh/

I'll play with a PS4 pad. I can play on almost any pad by now (a little better on my own PS3 pad), so I don't mind. qcf moves are a little harder on a DS4, that's true :/

They signed a real writer to co-write the story. He wasn't a big name, tv movie writer, but good enough to make something coherent out of T4 story.

Given the current success of One Punch Man, I wouldn't mind them hiring ONE for their story. That guy is a genius at making stories about ridiculously overpowered characters (both One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 are amazing). He shouldn't handle the character design though :p
Or, you know, just anyone but the guys who made the T5/6 story...

GrayFoxPL

I better start practicing on pad just to avoid all the hassle of modding + buying converters for my stick.

So far only Western devs bothered with the skullgirls driver. It's looking extremely unlikely Namco or anyone wise will follow suit.

I hope someone will make a petition. I can't, Harada sees my name and throws the monitor in the trash.

Given the current success of One Punch Man, I wouldn't mind them hiring ONE for their story. That guy is a genius at making stories about ridiculously overpowered characters (both One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 are amazing). He shouldn't handle the character design though :p
Or, you know, just anyone but the guys who made the T5/6 story...

You mean the crystal meth addicts? ;]

MikeMyers

This is actually serious getup. It's just someone called him "Diaper Heihachi" giving first T4 tests news and everybody cracked ahahah! Oh man, I miss old Zaibatsu days when we got first almost mystical info and obscure pictures from Tekken testing.

Yeah, internet spoiled the surprises. :/

My reaction was "Heihachi is the boss again? Lame!"

Fraeon

I felt like I was playing underwater, though. No idea why. But seriously, combos shouldn't drop with Lili that often and it wasn't like I was fucking up the inputs.

At any rate, I just wonder why you're hitting so many buttons. I mean, I could almost rely on you hitting something after a blocked Jinpachi d21, df1+2 or me hitting you something that's positive on block (Like Lili's df3). Most of my wins were just me calming down, not autopiloting and counterhiting you for hitting buttons so often after being negative on block.

You obviously know a lot about every character, it's just you seem to be hitting buttons way too often for your own good.

Numb

lol indeed.
My playstyle has been chaotic like this since forever and patient people can figure it out quick.
Been trying to play more careful but when that bell rings i just go in and forget.

Also the lag was weird. Thought we had a much better connection than this last time.

Fraeon

Nothing wrong with a chaotic playstyle but you also have to mix it up with moments where you are patient. When you do that, then your opponent never gets figure out that all they need to do is counterhit you after moves that are negative on block.

I never punished Jinpachi's df2 though. Should do that but the 2-3 times I tried to do it, you actually completed it.

Numb

Been an issue indeed. Usually play my best when i'm controlling the chaos instead of letting it guide me then do 5 Yoshi unblockables in a row or something crazy like that.
Good games and hope to do more. Alex was a surprise.

AAK

How do you pad players do iWR (instant while running) attacks? If I have at least a character space away I can do it, but to get a pure instant I just can't get it to work on pad. everytime I end up with a d/f motion. And I know my thumb is not touching the downward directional button ever during the motion. I wonder if it is an issue with the DS4 pad. I never had this problem in Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur because those games never need to do an iWR command ever.

Man I have a lot to get used to.... but it's not like I don't have at least 12 months to get accustomed to it.

sasuke_91

How do you pad players do iWR (instant while running) attacks? If I have at least a character space away I can do it, but to get a pure instant I just can't get it to work on pad. everytime I end up with a d/f motion. And I know my thumb is not touching the downward directional button ever during the motion. I wonder if it is an issue with the DS4 pad. I never had this problem in Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur because those games never need to do an iWR command ever.

Man I have a lot to get used to.... but it's not like I don't have at least 12 months to get accustomed to it.
I have to concentrate hard to get iWR attacks right. There's easy ones like Steve's fff2 after extDCK n 2, but I struggle with characters like Lee.
A cool combo with Jin/Lee is:
Jin: ECD+1, 5
Lee: 4,u+3, fff3,4
Then tag filler + ender.

Overall I'm not the best when it comes to iWR moves :p

Fraeon

By the way, Alex is not the surprise in my team. I've been playing Alex/Lili since the game was released. I wanted to play some Angel but really, there's no point in playing her over Devil Jin or Devil Kaz. Maybe I should check some Nina but unless they announce her for T7, I'd feel like my time with her would be wasted.

Outside of df4, which is pretty nice poke, Angel really has nothing that the other characters don't have that isn't a shittier option. I kind of resent the how Angel is so crap. There's no reason her backdash should be that bad in addition to being so unsafe on everything else (most Angel decent moves are -14 and up so have fun against Bryan and Lars when they launch you for your troubles for just trying to poke).

And of course it's always nice that your fastest mid poke starts at i15. Not even Dr. B is that bad.

GrayFoxPL

Btw I think they wanted to add parry to Angel's f+3 stance, she even moves her hands like shes parring, but in the end decided not to, lol.

Angel is fun on low level.

Sayah

TTT2 |OT3| Paragraph City

This is nothing compared to the fantasy patch discussion those MvC3 guys used to have. They even had a 100 page long dissertation fan fiction document for a patch that was never gonna happen. lol.

Marvel players must not have jobs like us. /kappa

Fraeon

I kind of like the fact that the posts are substantial instead of one-off insults like the FGC thread kind of ends up being?

And yeah, Kane played Angel but the only reason you get to have any kind of success against good players is if the opponent has no familiarity with Angel.

I mean, I'm not even bummed she's not a good character, I'm bummed that she isn't even a mediocre character.

Numb

Indeed.
He was doing this two hit string that started with b4? and was a launcher too and lots of people fell for that for a few matches.
The newer the character the more this tends to happen so it was expected.
To be honest i see so rarely anywhere at all that sometimes it's funny. Like no one uses her.

Sayah

What's happening in France! Jesus I'm terrified!

Read about that on my way home.
Makes me wish humanity stuck with swords as its most advanced weapon form.

I'm also interested in knowing why there's isn't any news on who's responsible for this?

Usually, terrorist organizations are quick to take credit for their horrible actions.

GrayFoxPL

Read about that on my way home.
Makes me wish humanity stuck with swords as its most advanced weapon form.

I'm also interested in knowing why there's isn't any news on who's responsible for this?

Usually, terrorist organizations are quick to take credit for their horrible actions.

It's still chaos. 140 people dead already 100 killed just in that concert.

Imagine going on a music event and get executed along with friends.

I'm going to be sick.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
YOU CAN'T CONTROL ME AND MY........ok.

I'm pissed off because of direction Tekken is heading. I'm tired of copy pasting every fucking move or animation. I'm annoyed by clown characters made to carter audiences Tekken wasn't meant to when it was a martial arts tribute. I embarrassed because Harada puts Ono and SF above Tekken and it's veteran fans. I'm furious about 5 year wait for TxSF and making morons out of us all.

How clean is that?

Where am I on the Black List?

I enjoyed it. Good post. <3

I kind of like the fact that the posts are substantial instead of one-off insults like the FGC thread kind of ends up being?.

I don't think anyone of any substance here enjoys the "FGC" thread. I stopped reading that trash once they dropped it into community. I agree, I'll take TekkenGAF's non-stop complaining over it any day.

sasuke_91

DEATH™;185413193 said:
Be careful Europe Tekken peeps. Stay safe. God be with you all.
Thank you.
Well, my brother's wife has family who lives around the stadium. No TV, no internet connection, no telephone and they're not allowed to leave the place, so we have no chance to contact them. Sucks quite a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom