• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

But really something like this:

NWCyqID.jpg

NOTES:

JayCee not Julia

GunJack2 not Jack7

Twist:

A.King has some of King's moves, not other way around.

Kuma ate Heihachi :(.
This is a solid list.

Because Jack, the character to me is kind of bland, and the less bland interations of Jack are rarely used, smh.

This is what I would do, choose Gun Jack and not Jack.

Armor King too, coincidence.

The 16 only thing makes it hard, here's what I hammered out just now.

9x0u2n4.png

Sayah

I'll bring up something.

If you had to make a character roster for Tekken 7 with only 16 character slots, what would your roster look like?

Bonus points for a character select image edit.

13 returning characters

Nina
Feng
Terminator Alisa
Lili
Xiaoyu
Law
Yoshimitsu
Hwoarang
King
Heihachi
Kazuya
Paul
Steve

3 New characters

Kazumi
Claudio
Katarina (I would be fine if Katarina was our new black character - same/similar moveset, different look and name).

Dereck

13 returning characters

Nina
Feng
Terminator Alisa
Lili
Xiaoyu
Law
Yoshimitsu
Hwoarang
King
Heihachi
Kazuya
Paul
Steve

3 New characters

Kazumi
Claudio
Katarina
This is like, a good list, all it needs is costume overhauls, and like as you said, Terminator Alisa, kind of like the Gun Jack version of Alisa.

EDIT: And Numb Laila Ali is your idea, props to you. Instead she would just be some other black woman based on her.

Sayah

This is like, a good list, all it needs is costume overhauls, and like as you said, Terminator Alisa, kind of like the Gun Jack version of Alisa.

Thanks, and see my edit.

I would be happy if Katarina was designed as a black character.

BodyPhoto.jpg

Sayah

No clue. That came up on google when I typed black female fighter. :p

Edit: Another great inspirational image for designing a black female character.

500_F_11853231_gl1u4rhGtlpS8HX7YMzLriWZFkjDhnxD.jpg

Pachimari

If I had to make a roster of 16 characters for Tekken 7, it would be:

IkaHIpK.png
Y1HehGc.png
Nhqkmgn.png
hYAOykD.png
Qt9BCpQ.png
BIkQH2k.png
21f1oil.png
2H4G6Hf.png

UjeUVpX.png
9aZkmtS.png
kajECUu.png
JIPXBb1.png
I2yQGpl.png
xUY00zV.png
dhLogQB.png
WOyMCdh.png

I also tried doing it with pictures.

Looking at that, there's 10 men and 5 women though. I would prefer if there were more women, so I might put Nina in there for someone else.

Numb

Seems like im the only one sleeping on Katarina. Although i like Kazumi,Shaheen and Josie more than her she is still much better than Gigas and LC.
Like Josie more cos of Bruce but would put Kat over her otherwise

GrayFoxPL

This is a solid list.

Because Jack, the character to me is kind of bland, and the less bland interations of Jack are rarely used, smh.

9x0u2n4.png

Thanks, yours ain't too shabby too.

GunJack dominates and that music theme, man.

Interesting...
1489166-samurai_shodown_sen_j.jpg

From his wiki:

10 years prior to the events of the game, J. was an unfortunate sailor who washed up the shores of Japan. To survive, he learns to wield a blade and lovingly names his sword Elvis. He eventually meets and falls in love with a geisha and tries to buy her freedom without much success. Hearing of a reward for detailing the whereabouts of Suzu, he sets out in search of her.

His ending reveals that he had a rough time when he first landed in Japan. He was called the "black devil" and was feared by everyone who saw him. The only one who didn't run from him was a young girl who offered him food. Touched by her sincerity, J. swore to one day return the favor. The girl is the same geisha in his backstory. He buys her freedom with the gold he earned for defeating Golba and tells her to not love a man like him. She thanks him by choosing to live her life as she sees fit.

I like this little backstory. Did anyone play this game? I only touched Samurai Showdown 1 with any real seriousness.

Sayah

If I had to make a roster of 16 characters for Tekken 7, it would be:

IkaHIpK.png
Y1HehGc.png
Nhqkmgn.png
hYAOykD.png
Qt9BCpQ.png
BIkQH2k.png
21f1oil.png
2H4G6Hf.png

UjeUVpX.png
9aZkmtS.png
kajECUu.png
JIPXBb1.png
I2yQGpl.png
xUY00zV.png
dhLogQB.png
WOyMCdh.png

I also tried doing it with pictures.

Mokujin as an extra.

No Williams. :/

I think after all of you play Claudio, you'll definitely want him in the game. One of the most fun to use characters ever.
As a compromise, I would take Shaheen's design and Claudio's moveset as one character.
Shaheen's current gameplay design just doesn't look that interesting to me.

sasuke_91

My list:

Nina
Law
Bryan
Steve
Armor King
Eddy/Christie
Xiaoyu
Lei
Jin
Lee
Hwoarang
Yoshimitsu
Asuka
Claudio
Shaheen
Kazumi

I wrote down who I really want to return at first and ended up with 19 characters. I had to cut it down to 13 (3 slots for new characters) and that was not easy :(
I guess Mokujin doesn't need to be mentioned as an own slot. He just... should be there :p

Sayah

You might want to wait till Tekken 7 releases. We are all about to migrate to PS4. I hope. I mean we better soon.

This is what Markman had to say and what Murray retweeted.

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/670062752178831365

It might be awhile.

My list:

Nina
Law
Bryan
Steve
Armor King
Eddy/Christie
Xiaoyu
Lei
Jin
Lee
Hwoarang
Yoshimitsu
Asuka
Claudio
Shaheen
Kazumi

I wrote down who I really want to return at first and ended up with 19 characters. I had to cut it down to 13 (3 slots for new characters) and that was not easy :(
I guess Mokujin doesn't need to be mentioned as an own slot. He just... should be there :p

This would be great too.

Numb

My list:[/QUOTE

Nina
Law
Bryan
Steve
Armor King
Eddy/Christie
Xiaoyu
Lei
Jin
Lee
Hwoarang
Yoshimitsu
Asuka
Claudio
Shaheen
Kazumi

You goddamn right about Mokujin
I am surprised you left out Leo.

sasuke_91

You goddamn right about Mokujin
I am surprised you left out Leo.
I had her instead of Asuka in my final list first, but then I noticed that I don't really care about Leo's story and would much rather know more about that Asuka/Jin relationship (and cut out Lili in the process for obvious reasons).

Dereck

Here's the match, no sound, just music. Shit, the music cuts out! I might reupload that. EDIT 2: reuploaded

I fought this guy's Pugilist team and he was winning, I wonder why he switched teams, maybe he thought he could get points off of me?

Zero points for not breaking the 1+2 grab.

I never do Law's 1+2 grab. It's in the first page of the knucklehead handbook.

I just got my Vanquisher matches recorded, I'll get those uploaded too.

This is a solid list.

9x0u2n4.png

is that Forest Law with facial hair?

i like this roster

Dereck

Guys, it's true when they say that sometimes we are our own opponents. I played ranked last night because there was no one online. The first match of ranked was another double Vanquisher team, this guy was solid, his only downfall was that he wasn't punishing a few of the moves that I was doing.

I lost to him, not because he was extraordinary, but just because I was trying to style on him, instead of trying to actually win against him. You see, winning can't always look cool or flashy, it's a lot more about getting the job done. No one is really that hard. Most of the time, during these rank matches, I'll end up losing due to impatience, or by doing impractical moves that are more for show than for efficiency. To me that means, less perfunctory actions, and more actions based on what the opponent does.

A lot of time a got a little whiff of the impostor syndrome. I kind of felt like maybe going from Duelist to Destroyer was supposed to be harder. And since it wasn't hard, I thought that I didn't deserve the rank. What eluded me was that, because it wasn't hard, it meant that I was just decent at the game, and not that I undeservedly got the ranks due to coincidence.

I few years ago, Manny Biggz told me something important, I doubt he even remembers saying this. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along the lines of,"if you've won two rounds in a row, there is no reason to fuck up the last round just because you're feeling a little over confident". To be able to win that last round, it would behoove you to play that last round the same way you played the first two rounds. Not, I won two rounds in a row, so that gives me room to mess around on the last round, wrong. That's what fucks me up, and that is the knucklehead mentality. Don't be a knucklehead and eat your vegetables my friends.

loCp7rO.gif

1fhnD8G.gif

Road to Vanquisher, also no sound

GrayFoxPL

I few years ago, Manny Biggz told me something important, I doubt he even remembers saying this. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along the lines of,"if you've won two rounds in a row, there is no reason to fuck up the last round just because you're feeling a little over confident". To be able to win that last round, it would behoove you to play that last round the same way you played the first two rounds. Not, I won two rounds in a row, so that gives me room to mess around on the last round, wrong. That's what fucks me up, and that is the knucklehead mentality. Don't be a knucklehead and eat your vegetables my friends.

This is me, I'm a 3rd round screw up.

After I read this paragraph I played tag2 and repeated that phrase in my mind: "if you've won two rounds in a row, there is no reason to fuck up the last round just because you're feeling a little over confident"

It helped. Still got that knucklehead mentality though. Only way is to punch it out from my mind.

Other thing.
Playing Bryan today I noticed something I haven't before, I knew you could do dash then b+2 for jet upper but I didn't know I could push f then neutral, wait some frames and b+2 for jet uppa. Huh.

Good shit! Grats.

Dereck

This is me, I'm a 3rd round screw up.

After I read this paragraph I played tag2 and repeated that phrase in my mind: "if you've won two rounds in a row, there is no reason to fuck up the last round just because you're feeling a little over confident"

It helped. Still got that knucklehead mentality though. Only way is to punch it out from my mind.
Thanks dude, I'm glad it helped you out. One thing I forgot to mention, usually when I get promotion matches my heartrate increases and I start to drop combos. None of that happened this time because I figured I had an 80% change of winning just because I knew I could control myself enough to punish that guy.

I don't know why I separated the promo match from the other video, it wasn't on purpose. Here's the link again. I'll make a playlist for all of the matches.

GrayFoxPL

Thanks dude, I'm glad it helped you out. One thing I forgot to mention, usually when I get promotion matches my heartrate increases and I start to drop combos. None of that happened this time because I figured I had an 80% change of winning just because I knew I could control myself enough to punish that guy.

I don't know why I separated the promo match from the other video, it wasn't on purpose. Here's the link again. I'll make a playlist for all of the matches.

That's a nice match. That guy messed up 2 rounds but went for a comeback. I would've dropped the combo and lost the 3rd round, but you kept your cool in critical moment.

Fraeon

It's really a case of overthinking it. If you win 2 rounds with what feels like abusing something the opponent isn't reacting to or know about, then you feel like by the 3rd round they know and you should go for something else.

Which is all fine and well but you should actually only switch up your playstyle when you feel like the current one isn't working anymore. Which is to say, it has to be them who prove that now you should go for something else.

It's big issue I have too with my games. Lost many many tournament sets because I changed my playstyle because I felt like my opponent adapted instead of them actually adapting.

EDIT: Next week's Biiruken is going to be the last for a few months (taking a Christmas break, reorganizing our schedules, preparing some new things for the next season).

I should really have some sets before that.

GrayFoxPL

It's really a case of overthinking it. If you win 2 rounds with what feels like abusing something the opponent isn't reacting to or know about, then you feel like by the 3rd round they know and you should go for something else.

Which is all fine and well but you should actually only switch up your playstyle when you feel like the current one isn't working anymore. Which is to say, it has to be them who prove that now you should go for something else.

It's big issue I have too with my games. Lost many many tournament sets because I changed my playstyle because I felt like my opponent adapted instead of them actually adapting.

EDIT: Next week's Biiruken is going to be the last for a few months (taking a Christmas break, reorganizing our schedules, preparing some new things for the next season).

I should really have some sets before that.

Yeah, I'm just lost at third round. After winning 2 rounds playing my game I start thinking: "Should I play differently?" "Did he caught up to my style?" "Will he play differently?" "Does he think I'll change my style now?" Will he pretend to play the same to make me play the same but he'll punish me?"

"Is he thinking that I'm thinking that he's thinking that I'm thinking too much and he'll scrub me out?"

He's right.

sasuke_91

And it's all because of Sasuke believing in me

I can send some more confidence your way if that helps :D
Also, I said that anything below Destroyer was too low, which already implies that
You can go higher!!
...so do that!

I few years ago, Manny Biggz told me something important, I doubt he even remembers saying this. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along the lines of,"if you've won two rounds in a row, there is no reason to fuck up the last round just because you're feeling a little over confident". To be able to win that last round, it would behoove you to play that last round the same way you played the first two rounds. Not, I won two rounds in a row, so that gives me room to mess around on the last round, wrong. That's what fucks me up, and that is the knucklehead mentality. Don't be a knucklehead and eat your vegetables my friends

I'll try to stop being a knucklehead. Very helpful advice, thanks!
I'm one of those guys who always lose after winning 2 rounds. Happened way too many times, especially when I play Xiaoyu.

Sorry Sasuke I wasn't there on 12. It was out of my control.

I checked the PSN app a few times to see if you were Online. No problem, next time.

Honest question everyone, especially at you boutdown since you've been acing Ranked lately:
How much have you improved by playing Ranked? I feel like at the beginning I improved a lot by playing Ranked, but as soon as I hit the green ranks that didn't suffice anymore. Yet everytime I improved I ranked up as well. This hasn't been the case for quite some time now. I play on par with most Pugilists and Vanquishers, yet everytime I hit Ranked I get destroyed by green ranks because I'm not patient enough, they play characters I don't know or they abuse gimmicks I can't handle.
You can get pretty far by spacing and whiff punishing, but at some point you also have to get used to close combat and that's where I fail currently and that's probably why I also fail at Ranking in general. Any advice?

Dereck

Honest question everyone, especially at you boutdown since you've been acing Ranked lately:
How much have you improved by playing Ranked? I feel like at the beginning I improved a lot by playing Ranked, but as soon as I hit the green ranks that didn't suffice anymore. Yet everytime I improved I ranked up as well. This hasn't been the case for quite some time now. I play on par with most Pugilists and Vanquishers, yet everytime I hit Ranked I get destroyed by green ranks because I'm not patient enough, they play characters I don't know or they abuse gimmicks I can't handle.
You can get pretty far by spacing and whiff punishing, but at some point you also have to get used to close combat and that's where I fail currently and that's probably why I also fail at Ranking in general. Any advice?
I don't play ranked a lot, all of my improvement comes from player matches. I always try to fight people that are better than me. I'll befriend a few people who are good and just play them. If I'm always losing against them, that can be a good thing. The good thing about player matches is that I can learn more from the matches without having to risk getting demoted.

Everything counts, learning a new wall combo, a new setup, new punishers, new mixups, the more you learn the more you can use everything you possibly can to win. I didn't know how to combo Slim Bob's uf 1+2, 1+2 at the wall, I learned how to though, from playing av2k in player matches (he told me how to do it). One thing too, whatever your team's weakest punish is, use it to punish moves that you're unsure about. For example, Bob's 1,1,2 or Law's 1,1,2, I use those as test punishes. If they don't punish the worst that happens is that they'll get blocked and get punished lightly.

Punishing is huge. The more moves you know how to punish the more damage you can take off of your opponent. Even at 16 dans, there are moves that I do that I know my opponent does not know how to punish. It's their loss, and I'm sometimes in the same boat. Don't let your opponent get away with much. Whiff punish too also. Stay away from rage characters after tag in, space and let the rage go away. Is there anything in particular that you think you could use from watching my videos?

GrayFoxPL

Sasuke, fight the player not the character. There are only few players who can change their mentality in almost schizophrenic way playing with different characters.

Gather data in the first round and mark your opponent.

Label him.

Is he a:

Ducker?

Japanese?(doesn't block low)

Stringer?

Mix upper?

Baiter? (Whiffs a move at distance and follows with launcher)

Low abuser

Hopkicker

Safer (everything above -12 is too risky for him)

CH set upper (like Doomshine)

Combo master shit rester(only does launcher and combo video - nothing else exist for him)

The Wall (Blocks everything, plays for time outs)

Runner (hit&run, time out)

No-punisher (let's you off easy on -moves)

Insane punisher (better turn yourself into Safer)

Stander (Doesn't use oki, lets you get up and waits to use launcher when you run up to him)

Troll

Button pusher(not masher but doesn't wait for strings to end, pushes button after he blocked max 2 hits. Impatient, tends to get counter hit)

Stoned (very dangerous. Random series of attacks, he knows the movesets but not the combos. Beats you in singular hits with no pattern)

Someone called him (left the controller, do not be a gentleman, fire up unblockable, this is Raaanked.)

Probably Knee (put down your stick/pad, eat something)

etc.

GrayFoxPL

Does anyone think we will get any T7 related news at the VGAs?

Nah.

12th at the Big Tourny.

T7:DR announcement at best.

Skirts for male characters at worst (We not sexist!).

I personally expect(again) TxSF trailer. Because the year is running out and it be the most logical event to announce something big and be noticed.

I personally expect(again) TxSF trailer. Because the year is running out and it be the most logical event to announce something big and be noticed.

This is would be great. I agree it would be the best time to announce it.

OK???
Think we might see signs of a Soul Calibur trailer? And who the hell is this black dude?
Memorable-Black-Characters-in-Video-Games-Zasalamel-%E2%80%93-Soul-Calibur.jpg

Zasalamel? You can tell I've been sleeping on Soul Calibur, I didn't even know this guy existed. smh

He's a wizard? He would make a cool guest character in Tekken to be honest...

sasuke_91

I don't play ranked a lot, all of my improvement comes from player matches. I always try to fight people that are better than me. I'll befriend a few people who are good and just play them. If I'm always losing against them, that can be a good thing. The good thing about player matches is that I can learn more from the matches without having to risk getting demoted.

Everything counts, learning a new wall combo, a new setup, new punishers, new mixups, the more you learn the more you can use everything you possibly can to win. I didn't know how to combo Slim Bob's uf 1+2, 1+2 at the wall, I learned how to though, from playing av2k in player matches (he told me how to do it). One thing too, whatever your team's weakest punish is, use it to punish moves that you're unsure about. For example, Bob's 1,1,2 or Law's 1,1,2, I use those as test punishes. If they don't punish the worst that happens is that they'll get blocked and get punished lightly.

Punishing is huge. The more moves you know how to punish the more damage you can take off of your opponent. Even at 16 dans, there are moves that I do that I know my opponent does not know how to punish. It's their loss, and I'm sometimes in the same boat. Don't let your opponent get away with much. Whiff punish too also. Stay away from rage characters after tag in, space and let the rage go away. Is there anything in particular that you think you could use from watching my videos?

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

When it comes to combos, there's a few things I learn everytime, but they're probably my strongest point. I have strong combos and I know how to wall carry. That's what makes me win quite a few times.
Watching your videos makes me realize a few things. As I said, I'm weak at close combat. I see you blocking random lows and I can't even block Snake Edges. Which is funny, because I can duck most highs but get hit by slow lows. I see you block a few highs that I would have ducked with no problems. I duck Law's 4,3 most of the time, but I panic when my opponent uses Dragon Tail. I don't get me...
Another thing is that I don't attack at the right time. Most of the time, my timing for whiff punishing is a little off and I get blocked. Or I try to jab and my opponent uses a high crushing move. Stuff like that. Sometimes I just sit there and wonder why I get CH launched after my opponent uses a move that is -9. Then I'm too scared to attack and try to turtle my out which is not always the best solution because I can't block shit...

I'll try the thing with the test punishers. Jabs are enough most of the time to teach your opponent not to use an unsafe move.

Damn GrayFox. Thanks for the advice. For every player label there's a scene that flashed before my eyes haha.
Stoned is particularly dangerous. If he himself doesn't know what he's doing, how are you supposed to know?
"Probably Knee" is a great label. I just don't know what to do in that situation. Giving up and searching for something to eat sounds like a good solution.
I'll try to do that. Just generate a profile for every opponent I meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom