• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course projectiles are easily do-able in 3D games like Pokken, Naruto, DBZ, etc. These games are working on a field level instead of a confined camera angle.
And FYI, Namco has already made Eliza for those close-range projectiles.
lol, the camera has nothing to do with anything. I'm well aware of Eliza's game, thanks. I'm not sure how her narrow, fast moving projectiles that mostly are used in combos and not for space control have any relevance to what I was saying, though.

3D arenas are far more vast and there's a lot of territory to cover, not to mention stages with multiple floor breaks, wall breaks and balcony breaks.
Hollow statements that don't really back up your claim about projectiles/traps being unworkable in 3D.

Plus, as I mentioned, even if it can be worked out, I don't need that sort of shit in Tekken. It's a martial arts game. Not a "let me setup booby traps everywhere" game. It would just be an annoying character to deal with.
This is the meat of your argument...which is fine and I respect your opinion. I'm just saying that projectiles/traps can work in 2D camera 3D gameplay fairly easily.

AAK

1. A lot of characters besides Steve are also ambitious. I have already given multiple examples if you were reading. Characters like Lei and Hwoarang are even more ambitious than Steve or have evolved over time to become so.

And I disagree that every character needs to be Steve levels of non-traditional. It's good to have simple characters (like Paul, Feng) as well and there are many people who prefer that.

2. 3D arenas are far more vast and there's a lot of territory to cover, not to mention stages with multiple floor breaks, wall breaks and balcony breaks. Either a setup character would have to be made super annoying where he/she sets up shit all over the stage so the opponent is bound to get caught at some point.....or the setup options are limited and the chances of getting caught are low.

Plus, as I mentioned, even if it can be worked out, I don't need that sort of shit in Tekken. It's a martial arts game. Not a "let me setup booby traps everywhere" game. It would just be an annoying character to deal with.

3. Claudio's powerup isn't comparable to Leo's because Claudio gets far more options out of starburst and many more chances to re-flame.

And I don't think a character needs to be extensive to the point of having several levels of new strings, punishers, etc. People already shy away from Tekken because the matchup knowledge is so monstrous. Adding several layers to a single character will only expound on that.

Of course projectiles are easily do-able in 3D games like Pokken, Naruto, DBZ, etc. These games are working on a field level instead of a confined camera angle.
And FYI, Namco has already made Eliza for those close-range projectiles.

Sayah, I did read the post, Steve is still the only character where a button doesn't follow the convention of being left punch, right punch, left kick, right kick. That's what I meant by non-traditional. Yes I know Hwoarang and Lei are also unique but not in a way that I want Tekken to start implementing. At least we can agree that Tekken could use more non-traditional fighters.

The second aspect about a set-up character being too fantasy or non representative of martial arts, you know better than anyone I want the game to celebrate martial arts. You can still incorporate a set-up style with martial arts. Here are a couple examples, Do you remember these few seconds in the public fight montage in Fearless? I always thought a character holding an umbrella on one hand looked incredibly cool. And then I saw this umbrella from the movie Hero:

Hero.jpg

The extreme edges of that umbrella look like something that can stand upright when placed vertically on the ground (of coarse with a little suspension of disbelief). Having a Wushu character that can throw that umbrella and set it up on various areas of the map and then use it as a platform to stand up on like Litchi from Blazblue or even as a defensive tool to maneuver around the map are some ideas I have. It doesn't even have to be a badass like Jet Li, you could even extend that design archetype to an old lady/man with a cane where that functionality would be moved to the cane rather than the umbrella.

Another idea I had was with Chakrams. This idea stems from the tailor for Kung Fu Hustle:

08kung.390.jpg

This character could primarily be a melee based character with the chakrams behaving as bracelets... BUT the catch would be that each Chakram is attached to a forearm gauntlet via a string (just pretend they're Naruto strings that don't break) and then this character could release a Chakram when he/she wishes into the environment in a specific place. These chakrams could act like traps and pulled back in tripping the opponent when a character lands on it to use as a space control. It could even be used for some brutal okizeme setups never seen before in the series so again I'm just putting that out there. I know things could be incredibly imbalanced with the way TTT2/TR/T7 is currently oriented bu these characters would be complimented with general design changes to the Tekken formula. And yes, it might be an all or nothing design where the character would either be completely broken or very weak (like Dhalsim) if such a character ever did come to reality, but it's worth trying and fleshing out for future releases. An initial change and step has to be taken.

Lastly, about the matchup knowledge being too overwhelming with a legitimate level up based character; my solution is simple: make a Tekken 3 sized cast. Let's have a brand new Tekken game that really focuses on quality of each character that has unparalleled depth rather than a large number of characters that simply have (like MikeBreezy said) the same core gameplan and style. Let's have a smaller cast that can have years and years of discovery among its fanbase.

AZUMIKE

AAK, your ideas seem to fit towards to reboot of the series. Perhaps in the next type of Tekken, way in the future.

At this juncture, however, Tekken 7 functions as the last entry in a 20 year-long established era.

I always felt that Tekken became more creatively bankrupt when it came to character movesets starting with T5. After DR, I just felt they were trying to create the next Lili or make everyone generically "good" characters.

AAK

At this juncture, however, Tekken 7 functions as the last entry in a 20 year-long established era.

I can see that.... but are we gonna end up making the same excuse when the next Tekken is announced and say "Tekken ____(insert entry here)___ functions as the last entry in a ___(insert years since T5)___ year-long established era"?

How much longer can they keep this sequence of incremental updates up?

Removing hopkicks that shouldn't be there would be the simplest way to separate the roster in styles. Take away King's hopknee and fundamental players would prove quickly that they can not play King.

GrayFoxPL

I agree that almost everyone getting a hopkick or equivalent makes for generic feeling while playing characters. But it's not just that. It is general build of movesets since T6. Like This character has 13 frame mid poke that is +6 on hit, then everyone has to have it. Etc.

It's like they took their 10 frame jab rule and applied it to almost everything.

I can't put my finger on what exactly it is but when I fire up Tekken 5 DR so many characters feel so much more unique and simply fun then their later iterations.

Like Asuka.
She doesn't really rely on combo ability in 5/DR. You really have to use every move she has, her mixups and oki stuff and that actually is challenging and fun. In T6/Tag2 she has so many juggles it's hard to remember all of them but I don't think that's a good design for her.

I mean, weren't Asuka primary designed as an Aikido character based on throws, counters and singular hard hits and knockdowns? She mostly works like that in T5/DR but in later games? Juggle monster, equal or better then most. It's not like she's shit but it's not "that" feeling anymore.

Playing Feng is also more fun for me in DR. I like him here while in Tag2 I feel he's obnoxiousness is almost on Bob level. Like a character designed to forcefully spam shit instead of gracefully demonstrating kung fu techniques.
But I'm not really a Feng player so maybe it's all wrong.

Making characters that feel universally the same is not the greatest idea even if it brings the best balance.

Players say that Tekken 6 bringing universal 10 frame jabs with the same frame data was the best idea ever. That different frame data on jabs it's what, among other things, what killed Tekken 4.

Well I don't know if that killed T4 but T5DR had also varied frame data on jabs and somehow it didn't die from it.

Few examples from SD Tekken:

Kazuya: 1jab 10 frames +1 block +9 hit
Paul: 1jab 8 frames +2 block +5 hit
Lee: 1jab 8 frames +1 block +7 hit
Dragunov: 1jab 10 frames +1 block +5 hit
Steve: 1jab 8 frames +1 block +4 hit
Jin: 1jab 10 frames +3 block +9 hit

Etc. It's pretty varied.

I mean making everything universal or like some like: "fair" kinda kills character uniqueness.

I think Tekken designers have trapped themselves in calculating frame data so that one frame +/- here or there and everything is falling apart and that's why T7 fights look so monotone.

Edit: Like it was said many times - Steve is a great example of uniqueness and every character should be it's own "Steve".

sasuke_91

I really don't know if everyone should be "their own Steve". Steve is one of the hardest characters in the game (not just execution-wise) for a reason and sometimes I'm just happy that I can pick up a character and be able to play him after some short time.
I wouldn't mind more unique characters though. Steve, Yoshimitsu or Hwoarang are great examples for well-designed characters gameplay wise, so I'd be happy to see more of that and that might be missing in Tekken 7 (although I can't really judge without having played the game).

Nuuuumb, where are you? Wanna play a few rounds? Of course anyone who wants to join can do so.

GrayFoxPL

I wouldn't say Steve is one of the hardest. I never felt it. I mean tell someone to pick Steve and push buttons, he'll get around. He'll understand boxer with sways. Explain the same noob how to win with Devil Jin. Haha.

Unique character design doesn't have to be difficult to use. Steve doesn't have fast launchers but he makes up with other things. That should be the design philosophy - "That dude doesn't have 15 frame hopkick or uppercut then what mechanic should we put in to him make up for it?"

sasuke_91

Yeah Steve doesn't have fast launchers. He has strong juggles, but he has to work for them. You can't hopkick yourself out of a situation like you can with 90% of the cast.
I guess everyone should have something that he's strong in and what makes him "unique". With T6 everyone kind of became a juggler, although that's not what it was like in earlier games.

Good games Numb and Squirrel. I try to play calmer and not get myself launched so often. Doesn't work that well, but I'll get it someday :p
Numb really loves playing against Ling :3

Numb

Numb owns my soul T.T

(ggs Numb, Sasuke)
lol ggs man.
You own mine in BB.
Your pokes are deadly.
Yeah Steve doesn't have fast launchers. He has strong juggles, but he has to work for them. You can't hopkick yourself out of a situation like you can with 90% of the cast.
I guess everyone should have something that he's strong in and what makes him "unique". With T6 everyone kind of became a juggler, although that's not what it was like in earlier games.

Good games Numb and Squirrel. I try to play calmer and not get myself launched so often. Doesn't work that well, but I'll get it someday :p
Numb really loves playing against Ling :3
There were times when you just watched me. Patient style is for you.
Ling. She deserved that crucifiction she got a while back:)

I agree that almost everyone getting a hopkick or equivalent makes for generic feeling while playing characters. But it's not just that. It is general build of movesets since T6. Like This character has 13 frame mid poke that is +6 on hit, then everyone has to have it. Etc.

It's like they took their 10 frame jab rule and applied it to almost everything.

Pretty much.

@Inkog

They probably paid for his flight.

Dereck

What do we REALLY think they'll announce when it comes down to Tekken this month?

Tekken 7 is coming to XBOX ONE guys!

That's it.

Come at me.

GrayFoxPL

What do we REALLY think they'll announce when it comes down to Tekken this month?

That's it.

Come at me.

Haha.

At the very, very least Lee and Nina/someone.

Eyeballin' for ROBUST T7:DR and TxSF teaser trailer.

If some joke shit like stockings for Heihachi then:

45RJwL7.jpg

sasuke_91

There were times when you just watched me. Patient style is for you.
Ling. She deserved that crucifiction she got a while back:)

Too many instances where I did nothing instead of attacking you. Also, I should grab more :p
I couldn't block any lows for half our matches either. As I said earlier, I ducked Law's 4,3 but couldn't block a Dragon Tail...

That's it.

Come at me.

I stopped expecting anything, so I won't expect anything.
Can't be excited for this when PSX is right around the corner^^

Lee?

Man they better not come up in there with that Tekken 5 outfit I SWEAR TA GOD

This would be the best thing they could announce. Lee Chaolan with a new outfit and tweaked move list.

Won't happen.

Sayah

lol, the camera has nothing to do with anything. I'm well aware of Eliza's game, thanks. I'm not sure how her narrow, fast moving projectiles that mostly are used in combos and not for space control have any relevance to what I was saying, though.

Projectiles (that are actually competitively viable) are easier to implement in a 3D fighter with field view than they would be in a 3D fighter that has a 2D camera.

Projectiles are most useful at distances and the purpose often is to create space, chip damage, and camp out your opponent. Even in 2D fighters this is the case. Nobody uses a Hadouken when they're 2 feet away from their opponent. Nobody uses Mario's fireballs 2 feet away from an opponent. THey jump away and create distance first. Because up close, kicks and punches will always beat out projectiles due to lower startup frames.

In a game like Tekken, projectiles from a distance won't work because everything is easily sidestepped/ducked. The traditional 3D fighters are all very up-close fighters (DoA, VF, Tekken, etc.). You can't camp in these games. No matter how much you space away, you eventually have to migrate back to your opponent.

The only way projectiles would work in these fighters would be to have projectiles with even lower or equal startup frames to punches and kicks. It'll be a mess to create and balance......but sure, I guess it's doable. What would even be the point then?

Hollow statements that don't really back up your claim about projectiles/traps being unworkable in 3D.

I'm talking about a setup character that places items on stage, not projectiles in a broader scale.
I never said projectiles are not workable in a 3D fighter - why do you think I gave the Eliza example?

You're kind of just re-purposing everything I said to suit what you want it to say.

This is the meat of your argument...which is fine and I respect your opinion. I'm just saying that projectiles/traps can work in 2D camera 3D gameplay fairly easily.

It's so fairly easy that I totally see all of these projectile heavy and setup-based characters in traditional 3D fighters. /s

Sayah, I did read the post, Steve is still the only character where a button doesn't follow the convention of being left punch, right punch, left kick, right kick. That's what I meant by non-traditional. Yes I know Hwoarang and Lei are also unique but not in a way that I want Tekken to start implementing. At least we can agree that Tekken could use more non-traditional fighters.

I'm not understanding where you're getting at with this.
LP, RP, LK, RK is the traditional button layout for Tekken. It's fine to have one or a few characters not follow the normal control scheme norm....but every character?

That's like asking Marvel to abandon its low, medium, high, and launch options that are standard across the entire cast and asking the team to completely mix it all up.

Having a standard system for controlling characters is important. Having a non-traditional control scheme isn't the only way to be unique. There are multiple ways a character can be unique and I listed many of the ways Tekken characters are unique.

The second aspect about a set-up character being too fantasy or non representative of martial arts, you know better than anyone I want the game to celebrate martial arts. You can still incorporate a set-up style with martial arts. Here are a couple examples, Do you remember these few seconds in the public fight montage in Fearless? I always thought a character holding an umbrella on one hand looked incredibly cool. And then I saw this umbrella from the movie Hero:

The extreme edges of that umbrella look like something that can stand upright when placed vertically on the ground (of coarse with a little suspension of disbelief). Having a Wushu character that can throw that umbrella and set it up on various areas of the map and then use it as a platform to stand up on like Litchi from Blazblue or even as a defensive tool to maneuver around the map are some ideas I have. It doesn't even have to be a badass like Jet Li, you could even extend that design archetype to an old lady/man with a cane where that functionality would be moved to the cane rather than the umbrella.

Having a cane or umbrella randomly placed in the stage somewhere? What.

0d27a788285f9ee1c2067e016624c7a5.gif

Another idea I had was with Chakrams. This idea stems from the tailor for Kung Fu Hustle:

08kung.390.jpg

This character could primarily be a melee based character with the chakrams behaving as bracelets... BUT the catch would be that each Chakram is attached to a forearm gauntlet via a string (just pretend they're Naruto strings that don't break) and then this character could release a Chakram when he/she wishes into the environment in a specific place. These chakrams could act like traps and pulled back in tripping the opponent when a character lands on it to use as a space control. It could even be used for some brutal okizeme setups never seen before in the series so again I'm just putting that out there. I know things could be incredibly imbalanced with the way TTT2/TR/T7 is currently oriented bu these characters would be complimented with general design changes to the Tekken formula. And yes, it might be an all or nothing design where the character would either be completely broken or very weak (like Dhalsim) if such a character ever did come to reality, but it's worth trying and fleshing out for future releases. An initial change and step has to be taken.

Yes, you're right. That's a recipe for a completely broken character. Even if Tekken were to reinvent itself, I wouldn't want it to have a character that relies on item shenanigans all over the stage. It's just........no.

Sorry, I don't like this idea of yours. As I mentioned earlier, for a game like Tekken, either a character focused on setting up booby traps would be too weak (e.g. your umbrella example where you have this huge stage and one single item) or too strong (your Kung Fu Hustle example where you're suggesting the character's rings could be all over the stage).

Sayah

Forgot to respond to the below part.
Lastly, about the matchup knowledge being too overwhelming with a legitimate level up based character; my solution is simple: make a Tekken 3 sized cast. Let's have a brand new Tekken game that really focuses on quality of each character that has unparalleled depth rather than a large number of characters that simply have (like MikeBreezy said) the same core gameplan and style. Let's have a smaller cast that can have years and years of discovery among its fanbase.
How do the Tekken characters have the same core game plan and style exactly?

When Lei and Hwoarang switch between multiple stances and perform various mixup strategies across stances, how is that gameplay style and plan the same as what a non-stance character like Paul would do?

When Xiaoyu constantly cancels attack animations and switches to backstance, how is that game plan the same as what other characters do?

When Wang constantly uses special parries that are exclusively available to him, how is that gameplan the same as what other characters do?

When Anna players are often looking to auto-launch whichever lows are thrown their way, how is that game plan the same as other characters?

It's shocking that you're not really appreciating the depth and breadth of the Tekken gameplay system despite understanding it so well.

And you're also talking about discovery. TTT2 (the largest cast to date) still has so much potential left in it and was and continues to be a sea mine of new discoveries despite the characters "apparently" following the "same core gameplan" as you state. And many of those other games that you are thinking have characters with a diversity of core game plans are easily figured out within a few months.

I've played many games and I'm happy as a Tekken fan from a gameplay aspect. The game franchise is pretty much perfected and refined with Tekken Tag 2. I can only imagine how different it would be if it followed the footsteps you're suggesting. I'm all for new mechanics and interesting characters but not to the extremities you're taking it. Tekken already has unique and fun characters and at the same time maintains a very good balance.

If you want to play a broken mess, then games like MvC3 are in the market to appease your desires.

Both of you are at the far extremes anyways so shush.

While almost every character has the same generic shit, they still play uniquely enough to be different. This allows for a across the board generic Tekken(BDC, SS, Jabs, Hopkicks) playstyle that's easily transferable from character to character(in most cases) but then allows for each character to be freeform enough to not be constricted into one playstyle or Archtype. Despite this they are all unique characters they just have the same(for the most part) Skeleton to work from so to speak. It isn't a good or a bad thing, it just is.

Btw I just want Lee's T2 P2 back....thank you....

Sayah

Both of you are at the far extremes anyways so shush.

While almost every character has the same generic shit, they still play uniquely enough to be different. This allows for a across the board generic Tekken(BDC, SS, Jabs, Hopkicks) playstyle that's easily transferable from character to character(in most cases) but then allows for each character to be freeform enough to not be constricted into one playstyle or Archtype. Despite this they are all unique characters they just have the same(for the most part) Skeleton to work from so to speak. It isn't a good or a bad thing, it just is.

Btw I just want Lee's T2 P2 back....thank you....

I'm not at an extreme end.

And now you're sort of diverging from your original position of making a blanket statement and calling them all homogeneous.

I'm not at an extreme end.

And now you're sort of diverging from your original position of making a blanket statement and calling them all homogeneous.

Yeah because my original half-assed statement was...half-assed. I still think most of the cast homogeneous I just think they're unique enough for it not to be an issue like AAK thinks it is. I can still do Tekken basics with hwoarang like I can with Paul. I may not have a generic hopkick but I can Hunting Hawk or u3+4 to low crush, it works pretty much the same way. The difference is that the two play outside of that with the rest of their movesets. Like I said, its a skeleton that they've decided to make most of the cast with.

And any one who thinks TTT2 perfected Tekken....nah that's an extreme end to me. Improved on TTT1's ideas perhaps but perfected Tekken as a whole? Nah breh.

Sayah

Yeah because my original half-assed statement was...half-assed. I still think most of the cast homogeneous I just think they're unique enough for it not to be an issue like AAK thinks it is. I can still do Tekken basics with hwoarang like I can with Paul. I may not have a generic hopkick but I can Hunting Hawk or u3+4 to low crush, it works pretty much the same way. The difference is that the two play outside of that with the rest of their movesets. Like I said, its a skeleton that they've decided to make most of the cast with.

And any one who thinks TTT2 perfected Tekken....nah that's an extreme end to me. Improved on TTT1's ideas perhaps but perfected Tekken as a whole? Nah breh.

Maybe perfected is an extreme word choice, but the rest of my post isn't touching on any extremes.

I'll say "TTT2 excellently refined and celebrated the development of a gameplay system that is encompassing 20 years of progressive evolution."

This is where I can agree with sentiments that Tekken 7 needs to innovate in ways with new mechanics because TTT2 already is the defining capstone to everything before it.

Tekken 7 really should have been that fresh new entry akin to Tekken 4.

Which its already started doing by being pretty much an alternate version of T6 so even then I don't see the point of doing all of what AAK is suggesting. I think T7 does its job well enough without completly changing the game into VF or some some new Fighting IP like it should be.

But the main extreme I'm talking about is the fact that you don't recognize the homogeneity or are ignoring it because certain characters favor their archetype more than follow the Tekken gameplan.

I mean even Steve technically has a hopkick(punch lol) and I'm not talking about the delay hopkick.

Sayah

Which its already started doing by being pretty much an alternate version of T6 so even then I don't see the point of doing all of what AAK is suggesting. I think T7 does its job well enough without completly changing the game into VF or some some new Fighting IP like it should be.

But the main extreme I'm talking about is the fact that you don't recognize the homogeneity or are ignoring it because certain characters favor their archetype more than follow the Tekken gameplan.

I mean even Steve technically has a hopkick(punch lol) and I'm not talking about the delay hopkick.

Why would I recognize the homogeneity argument when I've already given multiple examples of how characters are unique and have yet to be proven wrong or provided with any legitimate counter examples?

You're looking at hopkicks as an argument for homogeneity but not every character has a hopkick so how again are we applying this homogeneity stance blatantly across the board for the entire cast? Where's Nina's hopkick? Where's Alisa's hopkick? Where's Dragunov's hopkick? Where's Marduk's hopkick?

Why would I recognize the homogeneity argument when I've already given multiple examples of how characters are unique and have yet to be proven wrong or provided with any legitimate counter examples?

I just gave you two examples and also you are ignoring a major part of what makes Tekken Tekken. Just like AAK is doing pretty much same in a different way.

Tekken is a game with a select skeleton that the entire cast in some form or fashion subscribes to. Almost everyone has a 10f jab. Almost everyone has a launching low crush using u or u/f. A duckjab. a variation of df+2. etc etc.

That's just the homogeneous skeleton that the game has. Most 3D fighters follow this, moreso namco than Sega or Tecmo. The rest of the Tekken body is filled out by how the character actually performs using those techniques or if they have them at all. Jack doesn't have a hopkick but has a 10f Jab. Steve doesn't use his normal kick buttons for kicks but still has a low crushing uf move. Some character's df+2 doesn't launch on normal hit, but some do. That's the skin and muscle of the characters that's what makes them who they are. its different but the skeleton for the most part remains in tact.

sasuke_91

That one's really slow though (i19). Faster than his hopkick (i24) but still really slow^^

I find AAK's ideas nice, but I can't think of a way that they could work in Tekken. I agree they would be better suited for SC.

Manbig

I just gave you two examples and also you are ignoring a major part of what makes Tekken Tekken. Just like AAK is doing pretty much same in a different way.

Tekken is a game with a select skeleton that the entire cast in some form or fashion subscribes to. Almost everyone has a 10f jab. Almost everyone has a launching low crush using u or u/f. A duckjab. a variation of df+2. etc etc.

That's just the homogeneous skeleton that the game has. Most 3D fighters follow this, moreso namco than Sega or Tecmo. The rest of the Tekken body is filled out by how the character actually performs using those techniques or if they have them at all. Jack doesn't have a hopkick but has a 10f Jab. Steve doesn't use his normal kick buttons for kicks but still has a low crushing uf move. Some character's df+2 doesn't launch on normal hit, but some do. That's the skin and muscle of the characters that's what makes them who they are. its different but the skeleton for the most part remains in tact.

I wouldn't call Jack's f2 a jab move at all. It's a pure CH tool. The changes that they made to it after his nerfs in Tekken 7 make that clear. It does pitiful damage on normal hit now, but a fuckload of damage on CH + the follow up.

I agree with the rest of what you said here.

You're looking at hopkicks as an argument for homogeneity but not every character has a hopkick so how again are we applying this homogeneity stance blatantly across the board for the entire cast? Where's Nina's hopkick? Where's Alisa's hopkick? Where's Dragunov's hopkick? Where's Marduk's hopkick?

Alisa's u/f4,4 (or is it u/f3,3?) is her hopkick.

The thing that you're glossing over here is that there is very much a template for every character in Tekken. They don't have the exact same moves, but they have similar tools, and the balance comes in the form of some tools being slightly better than other tools for a specific character.

Everybody has low crushes.

- Marduk's u/f4 is safe on block, but only gets a short follow up instead of a full juggle.

- Hopkicks are unsafe, but get a full follow up on normal hit.

- Nina doesn't have a hop kick, but she has a low crush that does a decent amount of damage for one hit and crushes WAY earlier than hopkicks.

Nearly the whole cast has a 10f jab. The few that don't have a 10f CH tool and slower jabs that give more + frames on block.

- Jack's f2, Ganryu's headbutt, and Bear's f1,1,1 are all CH 10f tools, though Bears do have a sort of unorthodox 10f jab.

Nearly the whole cast have mid pokes in the 12 - 14 frame range.

Nearly the whole cast is able to use instant crouch jab from standing as a quick defensive high crush tool against pressure.

Nearly the whole cast has a low poke in the 15 - 17 frame range.

Nearly the whole cast has a high crushing low.

Nearly the whole cast have a WR move with heavy + frames on block.

Nearly the whole cast is able to launch in the 14 - 16 frame range from standing.

Nearly the whole cast is able to launch at 15 frames from ducking.

Nearly the whole cast has a 11 frame WS mid poke.

The only thing that really changes it up is the different animations, but most of the moves follow a very straight forward template for Tekken.Basically, if a character doesn't have 1 or 2 of these things, they have stronger variations of the rest of the stuff. This is why I like to recommend Jin as a starting character to learn the game on, because he has every single one of these tools, so when you experiment with other characters, you can go "oh he/she doesn't have X thing like Jin, but does do X thing better than him!"

I wouldn't call Jack's f2 a jab move at all. It's a pure CH tool. The changes that they made to it after his nerfs in Tekken 7 make that clear. It does pitiful damage on normal hit now, but a fuckload of damage on CH + the follow up.

I agree with the rest of what you said here.

The thing that you're glossing over here is that there is very much a template for every character in Tekken. They don't have the exact same moves, but they have similar tools, and the balance comes in the form of some tools being slightly better than other tools for a specific character.

- Marduk's u/f4 is safe on block, but only gets a short follow up instead of a full juggle.

- Nina doesn't have a hop kick, but she has a low crush that does a decent amount of damage for one hit and crushes WAY earlier than hopkicks.

Nearly the whole cast has a 10f jab. The few that don't have a 10f CH tool and slower jabs that give more + frames on block.

- Jack's f2, Ganryu's headbutt, and Bear's f1,1,1 are all CH 10f tools, though Bears do have a sort of unorthodox 10f jab.

Nearly the whole cast is able to use instant crouch jab from standing as a quick defensive high crush tool against pressure.

Nearly the whole cast is able to launch in the 14 - 16 frame range from standing.

The only thing that really changes it up is the different animations, but most of the moves follow a very straight forward template for Tekken.Basically, if a character doesn't have 1 or 2 of these things, they have stronger variations of the rest of the stuff. This is why I like to recommend Jin as a starting character to learn the game on, because he has every single one of these tools, so when you experiment with other characters, you can go "oh he/she doesn't have X thing like Jin, but does do X thing better than him!"

This is a as stupid as stupid gets. You can literally make a list like this for all characters in all fighting games. There are always universal moves.

Manbig

This is a as stupid as stupid gets. You can literally make a list like this for all characters in all fighting games. There are always universal moves.

No, you can't.

Look at Street Fighter for example.

Most characters do not have projectiles.

Most characters do not have command grabs.

Most characters do not have standardized jab frames.

Most characters do not have standardized poke frames.

Most characters do not have standardized reversal moves.

Most characters do not have armor moves.

Most characters do not have the same jump arcs.

Most characters do not have dive kicks.

Most characters do not have grounded normals that make them go airborne.

Most characters do not have target combos.

And depending on which version of the game you are playing, most characters do not have command normals.

3D games need to be standardized in this way, otherwise they would be damn near impossible to balance due to their huge movelists.

This is why in a game like Tekken, you will rarely see someone forced to play a different way due to the match up, outside of some very specific nuances that only people that really know the game will even be able to notice, and even then, it's not drastic. One of the only times it gets that drastic is when you go up against Capos, and just about NOBODY likes fighting against Capos. And that goes across all skill levels.

So please, spare me the "stupid" garbage.

Sayah

Completely disagreed with both of you.

Time and time again, I've listed multiple examples that prove uniqueness. Are you just ignoring those examples or not capable of understanding them?

You're only looking at things as parts (e.g. 10f jabs) instead of as a whole for a cast of characters that have close to or well over 100 moves in their command list. It's like saying Smash Bros. is homogeneous because Up+B is a recovery move for everyone.

Many Tekken characters have tools that are exclusive to them and are not shared across the rest of the cast. I have given more than enough proof of this if you've been reading.

Wang has a special parry that is critical to his playstyle and not shared with anyone else in the cast.

Anna has a special auto-throw reversal and auto-anti-low launch that is critical to her playstyle and not shared with anyone in the cast.

Alisa and Jinpachi have extra spacing maneuvers critical to their playstyle that are not shared across the rest of the cast.

Xiaoyu is extremely reliant on backturn options unlike most other characters and has move animations that cancel into backturn.

Nina has (among other things) a poison mist unblockable that is useful in various situations. Outside of Yoshimitsu (a few others), most characters do not have useful unblockables.

Lei, Hwoarang, Zafina, etc. have multiple stances that make them play uniquely different from non-stance characters.

It goes on.

These are not just minor variable differences in attack frames. These are legitimate options that characters have that make them unique.

Manny, AAK, MikeBreezy, whoever else --> either prove that these options I'm listing are minor divergences not critical to the playstyle of these characters or that they are shared across the entire cast, thus making them homogeneous.

Characters do not follow the same template or game plan if they have inherent features that make them follow a pathway different from another character.

Tekken is not just a test of who's better at using their hopkick, 15-17 frame low poke, 10f jab, low crush, or whatever. The system is a lot more diverse and complex than that.

sasuke_91

Tekken is not just a test of who's better at using their hopkick, 15-17 frame low poke, 10f jab, low crush, or whatever. The system is a lot more diverse and complex than that.

This. At lower levels this might be the the case (hopkick your way out of every situation, kill your opponent with lows and throws), but at some point you have to look into your character and see what makes him unique in order to be able to win.
I agree that it would be cool to have another Steve-like character or that making almost everyone good at juggles is not a good idea, but ignoring the uniqueness of Tekken-characters just because they share some traits is not appropriate.

This. At lower levels this might be the the case (hopkick your way out of every situation, kill your opponent with lows and throws), but at some point you have to look into your character and see what makes him unique in order to be able to win.

No One was saying that though.....that's a given.

What Big and I are saying is that every character has a framework or template that they are all based on and from there the uniqueness comes in. I feel like people are ignoring the part where we say the uniqueness is the different diverging paths characters take from that initial frame work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom