• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

If a SF reference is needed, then maybe something like "We got tiger uppercuts and hadokens"

Edit: I just noticed Destiny is at OT38.
Dayum. Didn't realize people liked boring games so much.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I am open to a Tekken 7 Revolution. People cringed when the first one came out, but now that companies are charging $100 DLC on the regular, so an arcade style game could very well be just as welcomed. Honestly, hearing Aris talk about how online has revitalized arcade Tekken in Japan. Tekken 7 console will hurt arcades far more than previous Tekken games. A Tekken 7 Revolution is the only way I see us getting a console release before PlayStation 5. But then again, the updated graphics could be a precursor to being a launch title for PlayStation 5. I really hope the exciting news for Tekken 7 in 2016 isn't more events that MarkMan will bring the cabinet. Some of us can't justify the trips right now. I'd happily pay $1000 to play Tekken 7 Revolution, not so much that amount to get a chance to play Tekken 7 a couple games.

I'll just stay home then. :)

Sayah

I'm playing MKX recently. It's really awesome. Definitely exceeded my expectations from the franchise. They really did put in a lot of great work into the character models and animations. The new characters are pretty awesome. I'm really liking Dvorah so far.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT3| Akuma Matata. It means no Williams.

LMAO

I won't even mind if this is the title.

WOW!

People bonding over that grind sickness. Destiny will never fail to perplex me with it's insatiable GAF popularity.

I'm not a big fan of the FPS genre in general but I'll still enjoy some of them here and there.
Destiny was just plain boring compared to everything else I've played in the genre.

I'll just stay home then. :)

Everyone really appreciates all the hard work you do for the fans.

People are just annoyed seeing Mortal Kombat X and (soon) SFV come and go while Tekken 7 is still in la la land.

I understand that Namco is very invested in arcades, of course. Just wish that Namco tried to readjust themselves according to the market realities.

If having an arcade release in the rest of the world doesn't work, then release a limited demo, do a beta test, transfer the "arcade model" to the PS4/PC......something so we don't have to wait. I'm sure people will bitch and call them scamco if they did try to charge $ per match but the passionate fans at least will have the game to play and the more casual fans can wait for a "full $60 console release" later. Or maybe even do a subscription model. I'll pay a monthly fee. I don't care. I won't support anti-consumer practices for other things but Tekken is the exception here because I understand the arcade situation. Hopefully if they do follow such a model in the future, there won't be bad publicity and it's successful.

Edit: You also have to understand that before Tekken 6, no other Tekken game took that long to transition to consoles. Tekken 6 was the first time it took two years and Tekken 7 is following in those footsteps. With HD development, the challenges are understandable. But a lot of people aren't going to sit around and wait for two years. Tekken's title releases have also really slowed down as a result. There was a point where we had three Tekken titles per console generation. That's of course no longer the case.

PS1 - T1, T2, T3
PS2 - TTT, T4, T5
PS3 - T6, TTT2 (and this is with a very long, drawn out console generation)
PS4 - We'll be lucky just to have Tekken 7 in time. PS4 is already 2 years old.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Although at least PS3 also had Tekken 5 DR Online, Tekken Revolution, and Tekken Tag Tournament HD (though unfortunately bundled).

I'm hoping that Tekken 8/X Streetfighter won't take as long since they'll have solid experience with working on Unreal Engine 4.

joeblow

There was a point where we had three Tekken titles per console generation. That's of course no longer the case.

PS1 - T1, T2, T3
PS2 - TTT, T4, T5
PS3 - T6, TTT2 (and this is with a very long, drawn out console generation)
PS4 - We'll be lucky just to have Tekken 7 in time. PS4 is already 2 years old.
PS3 had three releases as well. You forgot Tekken Revolution.

If you want to be even more complete, there were a total of five Tekken home releases last gen by also including the PSP version of Tekken 6 (PS3 got the BR version), and TTT HD early in the PS3's life cycle. TTT2 Prologue wasn't a full game, so I don't count that one.

Sayah

Although at least PS3 also had Tekken 5 DR Online, Tekken Revolution, and Tekken Tag Tournament HD (though unfortunately bundled).

I'm hoping that Tekken 8/X Streetfighter won't take as long since they'll have solid experience with working on Unreal Engine 4.

Man, I'm not counting ports of old games and F2P titles. :/

PS3 had three releases as well. You forgot Tekken Revolution.

Are we really counting Revolution as a main Tekken title? lol.

Let's throw Tekken 3DS and Tekken Card Tournament in the mix too then.

Revolution is entirely based off of TTT2 and the 3DS version may as well be Tekken 6.

joeblow

I'm counting it in the sense that it was its own, full game release on the system. That's more than what we have Tekken-related on the PS4, which is absolutely nothing.

Sayah

I'm counting it in the sense that it was its own, full game release on the system. That's more than what we have Tekken-related on the PS4, which is absolutely nothing.
It's not a full game. lol. It's a F2P game that was extremely limited in content.

It just reused the same TTT2 models and stages with a different filter and cute-ified the character's faces.

I played Tekken Revolution for maybe a grand total of 1 hour even after buying Nina DLC.

If I want constant spin offs instead of mainline titles, I'll just play the Kingdom Hearts series, thanks.

sasuke_91

I hope DJ gets an updated designed as well. Something on the lines of this:
tumblr_nqrmfwx9AE1tmmaxuo1_500.jpg

Given Jin's current outfit.

He looks like a Bleach character.

Speaking of Anime, I'm watching Hunter x Hunter right now and Kurapika is basically Leo Oo

You guys are THE WORST with OT names!!!

I remember Degen and Death wanted Snoop Dogg, and then everyone voted for the Lucky Chloe on OT2, and for OT3 you want a pun involving one of the most boring/generic 2D characters and unquestionably the worst animated Tekken character!
This is a conspiracy to spite me

Wait we're deciding on a name for OT3? I thought this was a title change for OT2 because we're at 10k posts now.

No conspiracies, just bad puns :p

I'm sure GrayFox will have good ideas for titles once his ban is over.

He's probably making a list right now :p

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT3| Akuma Matata. It means no Williams.

Lol I really like this one.

I believe we will be getting two Tekken games this generation:

- Tekken 7
- Tekken x Street Fighter

Yeah maybe another game like Tekken Revolution or a port and that's it. 2 games per generation is where we're at right now.

joeblow

It's not a full game. lol. It's a F2P game that was extremely limited in content.

It just reused the same TTT2 models and stages with a different filter and cute-ified the character's faces.

I played Tekken Revolution for maybe a grand total of 1 hour even after buying Nina DLC.

If I want constant spin offs instead of mainline titles, I'll just play the Kingdom Hearts series, thanks.

That doesn't make it not a full game. It has over 30 playable characters, online vs. play (ranked, unranked, lobbies), and a simple arcade mode. Regardless of the amount of recycled content, it is a full game. I am comparing that to Tekken Tag 2 Prologue, which was not a full game (only four characters, extremely limited play options). For that reason I did not include it.

In the end, I am agreeing with your main point. Namco's Tekken support for the PS4 so far has been poor so far unlike previous PlayStations. Hopefully that changes sooner than later.

sasuke_91

In the end, I am agreeing with your main point. Namco's Tekken support for the PS4 so far has been poor so far unlike previous PlayStations. Hopefully that changes sooner than later.

Tekken 7 will come out when the PS4 has been around for 3 years already. I remember back when the PS3 launched a lot of my friends were asking for a new Tekken, but by the time it came out nobody cared anymore. The game wasn't visually impressive anymore and there's been a lot of hate for the Single Player content. And the fact that the game's price has been cut to 20€/$ after a few weeks tells me that a lot of people felt the same way.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Tekken 7 will come out when the PS4 has been around for 3 years already. I remember back when the PS3 launched a lot of my friends were asking for a new Tekken, but by the time it came out nobody cared anymore. The game wasn't visually impressive anymore and there's been a lot of hate for the Single Player content. And the fact that the game's price has been cut to 20€/$ after a few weeks tells me that a lot of people felt the same way.

At least PS3 players had DR Online pretty early on. It was a port yeah, but had content and characters previously only available in the handheld game, and the series' first instance of online play.

Ain't got any Tekken on PS4, and our best chances of getting anything before Tekken 7 are in the form of emulated PS2 games. :\

Sayah

That doesn't make it not a full game. It has over 30 playable characters, online vs. play (ranked, unranked, lobbies), and a simple arcade mode. Regardless of the amount of recycled content, it is a full game. I am comparing that to Tekken Tag 2 Prologue, which was not a full game (only four characters, extremely limited play options). For that reason I did not include it.

Its not a full game when your playtime is limited and 90% of the game is recycled from a previous entry. Sorry.

What I'm saying is we only got two real Tekken titles on PS3 plus all the fluff you're talking about that is definitely not counted in this total. That's lower than the 3 brand new titles we got in past generations.

And I stick my foot in my mouth and feel like a total jerk. Back to lurking because I am a pitiful excuse of a Tekken fan.
What?

No you arent. You are too self critical. For one, you've spent like $600 hosting weekly tournies for Tekken.

I also like reading your posts. They're much better than the stuff I post lol.

joeblow

In the end, people could play Tekken with that "fluff", which is something not currently possible on the PS4. That's the only point being made. Recycled content is more than no content. Pay-to-play as long as you want is possible in TR on the PS3 (similar to the arcade payment structure), while on the PS4 you don't even have that option.

One may not like TR because of these kind of mechanics, but that doesn't render it a non-game. It exists and some other people actually enjoy it. Too bad we won't have some kind of Tekken game released on the PS4 before T7:FR is ready (which would be better than nothing IMHO).

Sayah

In the end, people could play Tekken with that "fluff", which is something not currently possible on the PS4. That's the only point being made. Recycled content is more than no content. Pay-to-play as long as you want is possible in TR on the PS3 (similar to the arcade payment structure), while on the PS4 you don't even have that option.

One may not like TR because of these kind of mechanics, but that doesn't render it a non-game. It exists and some other people actually enjoy it. Too bad we won't have some kind of Tekken game released on the PS4 before T7:FR is ready (which is better than nothing IMHO).

Yeah, I'm looking at main titles. Not fluff that probably has 5-10% of the budget cost for a mainline Tekken.

There's a reason I didn't list stuff like Tekken Advance in my original analysis. If I wanted to include that stuff I would have but it isn't much more than fluff.

joeblow

I'd play fluff at TR levels of production on the PS4 if it existed while waiting on T7:FR. As it stands now, it may be that the only Tekken games of any quality that we see released this generation will be T7 and TxSF.

Just replaced the buttons on my ps360+ stick & it STILL drops double button inputs. Which means it is 100% the board. TE is 300/300 in the tests I've done. Not a single dropped input. If I do no recieve a working replacement board I'm gonna warn you guys not to buy one of these in the future.

av2k

Holy shit, I just got back from my Mom's place watching the Miss Universe live while having dinner, that shit was the most amazing tv I have ever seen.

Pachimari

Woah, Philippines were runner up? We have been "dominating" that competition the past few years.

[edit]
Oh wait, I just finished it. Just wow, I feel bad for Miss Columbia.

DEATH™

Very easy to miss stage details if you play exclusively online since they're removed from online play.

I don't know how much FPS is being saved by this, but it always seemed like a poor decision to me.

It's not the FPS saved but the CPU limitation. The CPU can only handle so much tasks until it stops doing one thing over another, which in this case, online data. If those details ran online, we will probably see more teleports from time to time...

lupinko

Anyway with Tekken 7/FR built from the ground up with netplay in mind (it plays on a LAN I think even when playing "offline", MarkMan please correct me if I'm wrong) in addition to building on Tag 2 and Revo's net code, I'm sure when you all get it at home it'll be a great experience.

Which isn't the case for MKX or SFV from what I've been told, but SFV is in beta so w/e.

Dereck

"when you all get it at home it'll be a great experience"

IoSyNW3.png

You probably didn't mean it, but that sounded a little patronizing especially considering you've clocked so many hours in the game, posting updates on costumes and whatnot, while we basically have been powerless (with the exception of the NY boyz who got to briefly try out the game).

Dereck

Speaking of Slim Bob though, he's actually one of the more interesting designs in Tekken. Forget that he's Bob for a second, and look at his outfit.

ttt2dlc7.jpg

I mean I definitely get that Delsin Rowe kind of vibe from this guy.

latest

av2k

Speaking of Slim Bob though, he's actually one of the more interesting designs in Tekken. Forget that he's Bob for a second, and look at his outfit.

ttt2dlc7.jpg

I mean I definitely get that Delsin Rowe kind of vibe from this guy.

latest

Yeah, I like Slim Bob's design and quirks, wonder if he'll make an appearance in T7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom