• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuke_91

I get 2 bars with av and he still Triple-EWGFs me...

Buddy, You must not get much of hatemail lately. Don't underestimate the saltiness of fg players.

They wont handle Tekken.

SF players is the biggest fg crowd out there. If they jump in and get murdered mercilessly, and they will, their profound whining will be heard all over the "town". Sites like Shoryuken or Eventhubs will quote those clowns shitting on Tekken and crying how Akuma sucks or was a trap.

It won't do us any good.

I'm saying, shit is gonna hit the fan my compadres. ;)

Yeah I really didn't get many hate-mails for some time...
People will hate on the game either way. They'll probably make Akuma top-tier (not T4 Jin OP-tier) to satisfy the SF-players and reduce the whining. I certainly hope it will.

AAK Turk is married man & lives nowhere near any major Tekken scenes. I love da Number 6, but he's not a person who can be on the mic consistantly. Same thing goes with Eddy Pistons.

Spooky does basic play by play perfect. That's what he does, he doesn't need to know the inside details.

Commetary almost always is done in pairs for all things. There are two key roles to fill in commentary, color & play-by-play. Play-by-play comments directly on the action that is happening on screen or happened. This person in professional circles also is the "hype" man. Then there is the color commentator. This person is suppose to break down & explain the intericacies of what happened in an easy digestable manner for the audience giving them insight into what is happening. These roles are well defined on any professional broadcast & it helps stop redudency & cross talk. A good commentator knows their role in the basic commentary set up & doesn't improuce on the other's duties.

You say Hawk needs to improve but he wont listen to anyone so he wont. Exactly the reason he needs to be removed. He is a color commentator that is always butting in on play by play & doesn't know when to stop talking. Nor does he know how to make anything he says digestable and concise enough for the average viewer & it comes off very boring & bland.

av2k

So I played around 20-25 games against AV2k earlier. This is pretty much how it felt as it was going down:

tumblr_nx7fya1p511shff2jo1_250.gif

tumblr_nx5g6nSeVe1s9aisro2_500.gif

The only other time I've ever felt this helpless when fighting someone was when I got to be in a room against KodeeVu. AV really is in another league. Even when I am fortunate enough to get sets online against other buff ranked guys like JoeyFury, Mak, or Cuddle, I can still get to play and impose my game in some way on my opponent. Against AV it feels like he's in another dimension where time is skewed because the second I flinch I get electriced. His execution is insane too. He was consistently getting multiple EWGF's off of DJin's can-can's. That's ridiculously hard to do. GGs man.

GqRTEkD.png

All in seriousness though, GGs, I haven't had that much fun playing in a loooong time and it wasn't lopsided to where you need to use one punch man gifs, lol. Thanks for helping me get back into fighting shape for Tekken 7, I really needed it. :)

I was able to best Kodee at MLG TTT2 the last time we fought but he got exponentially stronger from what I've seen, hope I get to fight him again sometime in the near future to see how I do. I went by the name "Anthony Vu" so no one knew who I was and RIP thought it was an upset because I was a nameless scrub. He then ask me after the tournament.. "Wait, you're av kazama?" :|

I played AV last year and lost 10-0...and only won one round, in the final game lol. BUT THAT'S PROGRESS RIGHT????

Had to do some soul searching after that set though....

hk8olV2.png

It definitely is progress! If you felt like soul searching after that set, you could have easily just asked me for training or advice. I actually enjoy teaching and training people more than I do competing in tournaments.

I'll probably play against av2k tonight when I get home.

Totally gonna use my rust with TTT2 as an excuse if I lose miserably. :) :) :) :)

Pfffft, it's not even that serious, I just like to play other gaffers. Just enjoy yourself and have fun.

That goes for anyone else here, if you want to get a few games in and have some fun, just shoot me a message on steam. If you need help, just ask and I'll play with you daily and see what we can do to improve both of our games.

Woo.

DEATH™

GqRTEkD.png

All in seriousness though, GGs, I haven't had that much fun playing in a loooong time and it wasn't lopsided to where you need to use one punch man gifs, lol. Thanks for helping me get back into fighting shape for Tekken 7, I really needed it. :)

I was able to best Kodee at MLG TTT2 the last time we fought but he got exponentially stronger from what I've seen, hope I get to fight him again sometime in the near future to see how I do. I went by the name "Anthony Vu" so no one knew who I was and RIP thought it was an upset because I was a nameless scrub. He then ask me after the tournament.. "Wait, you're av kazama?" :|

hk8olV2.png

It definitely is progress! If you felt like soul searching after that set, you could have easily just asked me for training or advice. I actually enjoy teaching and training people more than I do competing in tournaments.

Pfffft, it's not even that serious, I just like to play other gaffers. Just enjoy yourself and have fun.

That goes for anyone else here, if you want to get a few games in and have some fun, just shoot me a message on steam. If you need help, just ask and I'll play with you daily and see what we can do to improve both of our games.

Woo.

Dude I havent even have a chance to play you in a set! Last time we fought it was years ago on ranked and you let me win because you are goofing off! I dont even think u r on gaf at the time

Seroiusly, even if u beat me hard now I still have to play u at least one set in Tag 2

AAK

What a humble guy this AV-man.... Even after the beating, I had a ton of fun
despite the advil pills in between ;)

Definitely did take your advice to heart. You're so right about making a Mishima player switch sides so that they don't get too comfortable on the stick (your power levels amplify 3x when you're on 1P BTW :p). I also thought about the "offensive turtling" strats you were executing during our set. I wonder what you think is the best solution to that? My initial thoughts of how to break a turtle was just to turtle myself harder... but doing so only let's a Mishima player get more and more into his/her comfort zone. What's your strategy on overcoming that?

av2k

What a humble guy this AV-man.... Even after the beating, I had a ton of fun
despite the advil pills in between ;)

Definitely did take your advice to heart. You're so right about making a Mishima player switch sides so that they don't get too comfortable on the stick (your power levels amplify 3x when you're on 1P BTW :p). I also thought about the "offensive turtling" strats you were executing during our set. I wonder what you think is the best solution to that? My initial thoughts of how to break a turtle was just to turtle myself harder... but doing so only let's a Mishima player get more and more into his/her comfort zone. What's your strategy on overcoming that?

The reason I remember that strat was because was when I first started playing tekken, when someone threw me to one side of the screen, I would become powerless, lolol, it's embarrassing but it's true. You just have to kind of see what side Mishima players are more comfortable with as the matches progress (Usually in my experience, pad players are weaker on 2p and Japanese stick players are weaker on 1p and Korean stick players are about even on both sides).

As for offensive turtling, I'll talk to you about that over steam since it's a bit more in depth. ^^

DEATH™;190547627 said:
Dude I havent even have a chance to play you in a set! Last time we fought it was years ago on ranked and you let me win because you are goofing off! I dont even think u r on gaf at the time

Seroiusly, even if u beat me hard now I still have to play u at least one set in Tag 2

Absolutely! Just let me know whenever, I'd love to get some games in with ya. :)

Sayah

Woo.

I enjoy Tekken for the thrill in competition. It's very fun to see the mind games at play between two players.

But recently, by the time I get home from work, I'm too tired to drain more mental energy playing something like Tekken.

Fraeon

I could play against some EU people today if anyone cares.

I'd also gladly play against some US/CA people but the last time I played Sayah it was like 2 bars and he was fucking around with Baek/Eddy or whatevs. Not my way to have fun.

GrayFoxPL

If tomorrow I won't feel like shit on a tire again I'm down for some Tag2 with anyone.

There's this fun (energic!) Korean I watch on yt lately. Stealing strats from his Steve/Paul team. I like his aggressive mixup style and his rising laugh levels(watch till 9:10) just crack me up. XD

I love watching players like him. Not only he has skills but it's obvious he has lots of fun playing. Cool dude.

sasuke_91

I could play against some EU people today if anyone cares.

I'd also gladly play against some US/CA people but the last time I played Sayah it was like 2 bars and he was fucking around with Baek/Eddy or whatevs. Not my way to have fun.
I'm actually playing right now, but I'll leave soon :/
I'll try to get Online tommorow.

Sayah

av2k beasted me.
We went 2-5.

We both were dropping a lot of combos due to 1-2 bar lag but I doubt the results would have been any different otherwise. Very nice.

I now have motivation to get back into this game and improve before TEKKEN 7!

av2k

av2k beasted me.
We went 2-5.

We both were dropping a lot of combos due to 1-2 bar lag but I doubt the results would have been any different otherwise. Very nice.

GGs Sayah! Crazy Williams tech you have there, i'd definitely like to level up with you guys for t7. :D

GrayFoxPL

av2k beasted me.
We went 2-5.

1-2 lag bar?

I thought you guys live in the US.

Sayah

GGs Sayah! Crazy Williams tech you have there, i'd definitely like to level up with you guys for t7. :D

Yeah, let's keep on playing.

I need to learn stick so if you use that, pointers would be helpful.

Yeah... it really is weird. Even I get 2 bars with av2k sometimes and with Sayah I even reach 4 bars. 2 bars between the two seems way too low.

I was playing from my apartment, which has inferior internet.
NYC doesn't have Verizon FIOS (in most areas at least). :/

Though, Time Warner isn't bad for the price. At least they don't have data caps like crappy comcast.
Comcast is the only internet company that has given me terrible internet quality and service.

Edit: My PS3 is wired but here's the speed test on wireless.
4948944078.png

AZUMIKE

TekkenGAF, what are your opinions on SFV?

I think it's a decent game, and will probably be a solid fighting game to play on PS4.

TTT2 is better

EDIT: As far as 2D fighters go on the PS4, I'm looking forward to the Last Blade 2 :D

I think it's a decent game, and will probably be a solid fighting game to play on PS4.

TTT2 is better

EDIT: As far as 2D fighters go on the PS4, I'm looking forward to the Last Blade 2 :D

I know you're probably joking about that but the game has only been released in Beta so its hard to come to that opinion so soon.

I like the game though and after practicing Street Fighter for the last few weeks its gotten more enjoyable to me. Could be better than SF3 imo non-competitively speaking and I like the focus less on gimmicky features like ultras or Pandora and the like.

Can't and won't compare it to Tekken, not because I can't but because I'm not nearly versed enough in SF as I am in Tekken to come to that conclusion\. if we were talking VF or SC or MK I would be more willing to make that comparison.

TTT2 is definitely not on top of my Top FG list

AAK

Getting off topic, but a bunch of you guys recommended Daredevil earlier this year to me. Boy am I glad you guys did.... Just reached episode 5. This show rocks.

Well, I guess disregard is better than hate, lol.

FGW used to be filled with Tekken hate before. It's toned down a lot more now.

Was mostly just Karst, kirblar, ragingnight and a couple others that just barked after them. More of a vocal minority. But you're right it did die down. Maybe with the major fighting games all branching out into their own dedicated tournaments like CapcomCup, KOTIF, ArcSysCup, etc. I guess people care less now?

TTT2 is better

I'm sure it'll be a fun game. But if I was to invest time into a 2D fighter, I would much rather invest in Guilty Gear or KOF. I dabbled into Blazblue early on but after Platinum came out those character designs are beyond a point of no return. I just personally can't bring myself to play Street Fighter when I feel I can get so much more enjoyment in GG/KOF where there are so many more options available to the player.

And OH YES I'm gonna play the hell out of Last Blade 2. Will be repping Kojiroh.

AZUMIKE

I know you're probably joking about that but the game has only been released in Beta so its hard to come to that opinion so soon.

What I'm saying is that I simply prefer to play Tag 2 than the current iteration of SFV.

I'm sure it'll be a fun game. But if I was to invest time into a 2D fighter, I would much rather invest in Guilty Gear or KOF. I dabbled into Blazblue early on but after Platinum came out those character designs are beyond a point of no return. I just personally can't bring myself to play Street Fighter when I feel I can get so much more enjoyment in GG/KOF where there are so many more options available to the player.

And OH YES I'm gonna play the hell out of Last Blade 2. Will be repping Kojiroh.

Yup, similar to how I feel about the Last Blade 2. The aesthetic of that game...it simply intrigues me more than other titles.

lupinko

So I guess jbstyle likes his Gigas drawing because he retweeted my tweet of his gigas panel art.

Edit: I just met Kurokuro, he's streaming, really cool guy. :D

Yo I am or was on stream.

Edit: I'm still on stream.

sasuke_91

So I guess jbstyle likes his Gigas drawing because he retweeted my tweet of his gigas panel art.

Edit: I just met Kurokuro, he's streaming, really cool guy. :D

Yo I am or was on stream.

Edit: I'm still on stream.

Those streams always confuse me. You were the King player in the King vs Steve match, weren't you? You played really well.

GrayFoxPL

Thread completely disregarded then.

Numb, GrayFoxPL, we should declare our rivalry in that thread :p
A nice idea for a thread though, although the lack of Tekken really is annoying me a little.

I may get into Street Fighter V next year. I'm a complete beginner though, never played a SF game.

Rivalry to who, what game? I don't really play SF much and I lost all interest in SFV once I knew they wont allow for ps3 pads/sticks to suck players dry with overpriced madcatz gear. Awful strategy, bleh.

WB and Netherealm also sold their brand controllers but allowed players to use their old shit to play thanks to skullgirls driver. That's a fucking move worth praising. Fuck you Capcom.

I hope to god Namco won't do the same with T7 - being bribed by madcatz or other controller/stick company.

Anyway I had a good run with Kaz/Bruce online today. I demoted both last time I tried to find good partners for them but now said screw it, they fit together the best.

But I'm telling you the ranking gets borked sometimes. It was ridiculous today.

I went like 3 wins, 2 losses, then 5 wins, 1, loss, 7, wins, 1 loss, and 14 win streak, loss, 4 win streak. and just when I was 12 on that win streak my Bruce got promoted. 29 wins to get Bruce promoted XD. And 90% of those weren't some underranked dudes, beat 4 Avenger characters, thought it would give me a rank boost, but no, hahah.

Best thing, Kaz didn't get promoted until I got like 35-36 wins XD. Hilarious. I'm telling this isn't normal where I normally get promotion after 6-8 wins after being demoted.

Game just trolled me hard.

But it played so good today, I wasn't even mad. Felt just right! :D Managed to electric whiff punish that asshole Bob. Yaaasss. I'm getting a little better.

ALMOST FRIENDS FOREVER!

TTT2 is better

It's boring to play(didnt bother playing BETA3), boring to watch, has a shitty launch cast IMO, lacks universal mechanics that allow the game to grow over time, and is all around a very limited game. Does that matter? No. SFV has $ in peoples eyes so they will push the game anyway. Every TO, content creator, or top player eager to take your cash is going to tell you how great it is. Only time will tell though. Lack of an arcade release is going to be a huge blow to the game's Japanese appeal.

GrayFoxPL

I was invited to SFV beta from the start and all I saw was server errors. I managed to play for 5 seconds with Ken while game was updating, then it went back to errors. 'mazin.

Rivalry to who, what game? I don't really play SF much and I lost all interest in SFV once I knew they wont allow for ps3 pads/sticks to suck players dry with overpriced madcatz gear. Awful strategy, bleh.

WB and Netherealm also sold their brand controllers but allowed players to use their old shit to play thanks to skullgirls driver. That's a fucking move worth praising. Fuck you Capcom.

I hope to god Namco won't do the same with T7 - being bribed by madcatz or other controller/stick company.
I can certainly understand why MadCatz would want to jump on this sales opportunity. The brand was completely refreshed in light of Street Fighter IV. I am a little concerned about their strength that could quickly turn into a monopoly. However, I can not get mad at them for wanting customers to return.

That said, my first experience with the SFIV TE1 has made me cling to other brands. I am sure things have gotten better, but my first purchase had a handful of someone's hair stuck in one of the feet. Someone likely had a bald spot just so this spoiled brat could have an arcade stick. I enjoyed the stick for the time I had it, but that hair was such a reality check for me. We hear about bad labor conditions in the news, but to see it gave me deep sorrow that creeps back up when I consider another MadCatz purchase.

Love what Madcatz has done for the FGC, but as for me I would need assurance that worker conditions are a major priority to even consider going back. Until then, it's Hori and HitBox for me.

GrayFoxPL

I can certainly understand why MadCatz would want to jump on this sales opportunity. The brand was completely refreshed in light of Street Fighter IV. I am a little concerned about their strength that could quickly turn into a monopoly. However, I can not get mad at them for wanting customers to return.

That said, my first experience with the SFIV TE1 has made me cling to other brands. I am sure things have gotten better, but my first purchase had a handful of someone's hair stuck in one of the feet. Someone likely had a bald spot just so this spoiled brat could have an arcade stick. I enjoyed the stick for the time I had it, but that hair was such a reality check for me. We hear about bad labor conditions in the news, but to see it gave me deep sorrow that creeps back up when I consider another MadCatz purchase.

Love what Madcatz has done for the FGC, but as for me I would need assurance that worker conditions are a major priority to even consider going back. Until then, it's Hori and HitBox for me.

Wow.

Btw I'll never understand the prices of this shit. I't just a damn box with a stick on microswitches plus buttons. It's not made of gold and diamonds and sometimes these things cost half the price of a console or more. Fuckery.

AAK

My first stick was the Hori Wireless stick that came with T6. Lord was that one bad..

Second one was a HRAP3 also from Hori... the shaft was alright, but their buttons were kinda booty. Madcatz Tournament Editions sticks are definitely a step up from them. I currently use the TES and I'm super happy. The greatest thing about it IMO is that is has the Noir spacing between the joystick and the buttons while the other Madcatz sticks have a much smaller spacing.

I've also never tried Hori's Fighting Edge stick with its own new "Hayabusa" parts so I can't comment on whether those are better or worse than the madcatz ones.

Also, watched the archive of where Lupinko gave us a shoutout:

http://www.twitch.tv/kurokuro9696japan/v/32242203

It's right at the end of the first Gigas match. He hops back on for commentary during the Paul/Bryan set. Hope you enjoyed your weekend man!

sasuke_91

I wasn't playing, the Thai player was, I just did commentary when Kurokuro was doing something else.

It's all netplay.

Oh, okay. Will rewatch the stream with sound next time^^

Thread completely disregarded then.

Rivalry to who, what game? I don't really play SF much and I lost all interest in SFV

The thread is by someone who doesn't seem to play Tekken (or 3D fighters in general), but he mentions them a few times and says the thread includes every fighting game (concerning mentoring, rivalries and whatnot). It's a nice idea for a thread if you ask me.

Kaz/Bruce is a pretty great team by the way. I know a few people who are really decent with them.

GrayFoxPL

The thread is by someone who doesn't seem to play Tekken (or 3D fighters in general), but he mentions them a few times and says the thread includes every fighting game (concerning mentoring, rivalries and whatnot). It's a nice idea for a thread if you ask me.

Kaz/Bruce is a pretty great team by the way. I know a few people who are really decent with them.

Oh cool then. I'll have a look later.

lupinko

I did enjoy my weekend and it was my first time on any stream too! Thanks guys.

Oh right it should be on stream but I went wtf when Toon cancelled Paul's rage art into a combo, apparently only Paul can do that.

That's what Kurokuro told me.

lupinko

So yeah I did mention it on stream but while in akiba I did buy Hokuto no Ken Atomiswave, it was on sale, game and AW mobo for ¥15000 at mak japan.

The game by itself at the same store is ¥12000.

Been sometime since I posted an educational video, so here you are.
https://youtu.be/FQQCan5oo90
I hope JuiceBox picks up Tekken again because his analytical nature is so fascinating. I mean I am similar in my use of practice mode and get irritated with people who just use practice to work on combos. I am just less willing to just lay down the law when teaching it because I have never made top 8 at a major or something. Anyway, hope you enjoy the video. I may have posted it before, but I often return to it. As it's application just excites me about fighters in general. Even though the majority of players just make it a mind numbing exercise of punishing the same mistake they make over and over because they don't want to think.

Manbig

I am just less willing to just lay down the law when teaching it because I have never made top 8 at a major or something.

You really shouldn't be. If you really feel like it's right and worth sharing, then you should go for it, so long as you are open to the possibility of being proven wrong. You don't have to be a top tournament player to know the facts, and the people who tie themselves so heavily to that need to get over that shit. Typically, the best players in these games are fucking awful at explaining how to play them to other people.

And yeah, I shared that video a while back and talked about how a lot of those concepts can be adapted to Tekken, since the game is basically almost all about footsies. Some people wanted to fight me on that one though.

Sayah

I wish there was an active Tekken site other than Tekken Zaibatsu that I could visit. I refuse to use that 2004 design they have going on TZ. And the forum is too segregated and too overburdened with different sections and topics.
What would you say my commentary needs to be good? I honestly can barely stand to hear myself talk, but I do enjoy commentating. Makes it a hard skill to improve
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAYYe_GHgX6BopwnsIe6Omsfx7jFXaCuu

I think you need to do add a lot more zing in your commentary.
Tell interesting or funny stories while you're explaining the matches.

Just reiterating what's happening on the screen is not interesting. Even if you want to reiterate what's happening on the screen, do it in a non-systematic way.

Also, watched the archive of where Lupinko gave us a shoutout:

http://www.twitch.tv/kurokuro9696japan/v/32242203

It's right at the end of the first Gigas match. He hops back on for commentary during the Paul/Bryan set. Hope you enjoyed your weekend man!

d'aww, thanks Lupinko.

Was mostly just Karst, kirblar, ragingnight and a couple others that just barked after them. More of a vocal minority. But you're right it did die down. Maybe with the major fighting games all branching out into their own dedicated tournaments like CapcomCup, KOTIF, ArcSysCup, etc. I guess people care less now?

The move to community made the thread die down a lot.

Sayah

It's probably fake.

But regardless, I'm pretty sure this game is coming to steam. There is no way they are skipping on a PC release. It's too major of a market to forgo despite the concerns surrounding piracy.

I imagine there will be a PC release. It'll just be delayed a month or two after the consoles.

Will double dip for Tekken 7 (PS4/PC) as long as I get it in 2016.

I didn't disregard Tekken and have added Tag 2 to the thread.

I didn't realize TTT2 was still active. It's completely dead, local-wise. The last time my local had a tourney for Tag 2 was in January of 2015. Given the age and lack of support from Namco currently, it was my hypothesis that the game is dead online if it's dead at the local level. It wasn't a disregarding of Tekken and it wasn't pushing Tekken under the bus. It was just a misunderstanding. Since the thread is about trying to improve, it didn't seem like a good idea to list a game that seemed sort of dead. The fact its last release was on Wii U and it's not on current gen consoles isn't helping the image that it's dead either.

I have since edited it into the thread and am looking for resources to add to the Tekken section. MikeBreezy gave me some and I'm adding them later.

I want to apologize, but I want you to know there was no ill intent. I'm looking forward to Tekken 7 more than SFV. I'm just saying that I don't think the reaction here is at all fair and I think that you guys should cut me some slack given the amount of effort I'm putting into that thread and trying to find a way to unite the community by helping newbies get into the fold.

Also, it's "she".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom