• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Even i am salty about the character designs staying old. Using Teken 6 character intros again seems extremly redundant to me but what can you do about it.
Harada needs to realize that if he wants new players he needs to take the presentation as seriously as anything else. One of the few ways for fighting games to appeal to new audiences is through the presentation, after that you can get them with new mechanics and systems.
How is someone new going to pick the new version of your game if it looks exactly like the old one?

AAK

I also don't think Harada has that much creative input in this game. I think he's focusing way more on Pokken.

This guy's the current main guy for Tekken after DR:

228379514.jpg

But I'm not gonna attribute the sad state of the game to one person. This game is a collective effort and I'm sure a huge number of people are to blame.

Numb

I also don't think Harada has that much creative input in this game. I think he's focusing way more on Pokken.

228379514.jpg

But I'm not gonna attribute the sad state of the game to one person. This game is a collective effort and I'm sure a huge number of people are to blame.

Harada must be involved somehow in his lifes work, unless Pokken took that spot.
hehe

I have a feeling Pokken might explode in arcade and get bigger that Tekken 7.
But i will care about it when it is out on Wii U

GrayFoxPL

They are at fault. You need to make bold moves to turn heads. Did Harada/Tekken team think they'll rock everyone with comeback mechanic, a weeaboo freak and Unreal Engine 4 that somehow looks and runs like shit for Tekken?

If we are barely or not at all excited after we saw T7, how can we be surprised general public goes: "another Tekken, looks the same, meh."?

We need another T2-T3 jump or at least T3-T4 and these times it would be the best if it was T3 and T4 jump combined. Crazy, insane, and completely new, fresh game. On a level where you recognize electric and deathfist but the rest is new.

You need to be ballsy. T4 might be competitive failure and broken game but it's still one of the most often remembered and talked over, even among us. Because it's unique and changed a lot of stale stuff.

Let's better pray T7 is a lot more then it seems.

Numb

They are at fault. You need to make bold moves to turn heads. Did Harada/Tekken team think he'll rock everyone with comeback mechanic, a weeaboo freak and Unreal Engine 4 that somehow looks and runs like shit for Tekken?

If we are barely or not at all excited after we saw T7, how can we be surprised general public goes: "another Tekken, looks the same, meh."?

We need another T2-T3 jump or at least T3-T4 and these times it would be the best if it was T3 and T4 jump combined. Crazy, insane, and completely new, fresh game. On a level where you recognize electric and deathfist but the rest is new.

You need to be ballsy. T4 might be competitive failure and broken game but it's still one of the most often remembered and talked over, even among us. Because it's unique and changed a lot of stale stuff.

Let's better pray T7 is a lot more then it seems.

It already seems too late for a drastic change unless shaheen and Kazumi play like nothing we have ever seen before. LC was good publicity although the negative kind but it seems as though everyone moved on to thier original stance on Tekken.

At this point Tekken having Blazblue mechanics with every single character playing much more differently with their own mechanics seems nice to me.

Lets just hope Kazumi is not basically Angel

Nobody on GAF is going to get excited about an arcade release 99% of people here will never play. Judge hype when consoles are announced.

Which could be a year from now! Heyoo!

GrayFoxPL

It already seems too late for a drastic change unless shaheen and Kazumi play like nothing we have ever seen before. LC was good publicity although the negative kind but it seems as though everyone moved on to thier original stance on Tekken.

At this point Tekken having Blazblue mechanics with every single character playing much more differently with their own mechanics seems nice to me.

Lets just hope Kazumi is not basically Angel

Yeah it's too late now. Any Tekken 7 "popularity" is solely based on simple things like Chloe controversy and there being Arab character. Arab nations go: "Clap, clap. You did good Harada." Harada's so proud. The end.

It wasn't supposed to be about that. It's popularity was supposed to be: "Look at that amazing game. Tekken is incredible! King is back!" reactions.

What we're supposed to show off?

"So yeah. There's this super at red life, you know like in old KOF."

"Yeah?"

"Oh and one armor move per character like in street fighter. (quietly: it's shit)."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, and we now bound with spinning moves instead of smashing moves. We still do same combos."

"Oh. Ok. I think I left the freezer open, so..."

"Wait. We have few new freaks too! Come back!"

"/dude runs"

"Kazuya has b+4! KAZUYA HAS B+4!"

And Kazumi gonna be T5 Jinpachi 2.

Numb

Now we jst wait and see.
maybe Tekken 7 will be the best and everyone will be all over it.
you do know Kazumi as Jinpachi sounds great to me

GrayFoxPL

Those conversations you come up with are always hilarious^^

Yeah it's weird. I want to be hyped. Give us that Taekyon girl!

Lol, thanks man.

Yeah her and Shaheen gameplay trailer.

Is it really that hard to record 60 seconds of gameplay per character and a random voice over guy like the one last time shouting: "Claudio Seraphino! Exorcisto!" ?

Give us something. We feel like sad zombies, wandering pointlessly, seeking scraps of Tekken brains.

Sayah

If it was not dying we would be getting all these weird shit all the time like that bob thing.

Dude i got the Wii u for bayonetta last year and 4/5 of my fav games last year are on it. I regret getting the PS4 since the only game i actually was hyped for was Xrd and that is on PS3 aswell. but bloodborne is coming out soon so yeah.

Smash is tight and bayonetta is my fav game from last year. i somehow played 200 hrs of Mario kart which is insane to me.
The PS4 is the first and last system i will be buying around launch year

Yep its developed quite the library despite all the lacking third party support.

I'm really looking forward to Zelda, Xenoblade X, and SMT x FE and splatoon for this year.

AAK

Nobody on GAF is going to get excited about an arcade release 99% of people here will never play. Judge hype when consoles are announced.

Which could be a year from now! Heyoo!

I don't think a release date is needed for people to at least acknowledge that "Hey This looks amazing, I can't WAIT to try it!" i.e. see GGXrd's reveal:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559576

Unanimous "Woah"

When Tekken 7's gameplay was revealed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=905270

I don't think a release date is needed for people to at least acknowledge that "Hey This looks amazing, I can't WAIT to try it!" i.e. see GGXrd's reveal:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559576

Unanimous "Woah"

When Tekken 7's gameplay was revealed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=905270

C'mon man, hardly a fair comparison. Xrd was one of the most impressive reveals ever. Best realization of 2.5D graphics to date. T7 would have to be like, a VR game.

Sayah

Eh......Guilty Gear was a dead franchise that got revived. I expected there to be more hype around it. If Tekken was dead for 10 years and came back, it would be just as "woah". Imagine Tekken 6 and Tag never happened and we went straight to Tekken 7 after Tekken 5.

Gamings transition into HD made development much more harder and expensive. It's why Tekken is gonna keep looking "the same" until there is a complete change in artstyle (which I imagine requires much more expense) or the franchise takes a long break.

With that being said, I'm happy with how Tekken 7 looks right now. The backgrounds/stages are breathtakingly beautiful. It is the character models that really need improvement, though. I try to stay positive. Maybe by March, we'll see more drastic changes. But since we already got character CG, the default costumes are definitely staying the same.

GrayFoxPL

Look a this. Aww.

iIlGuRAtHSY4K.jpg

Other thing. Do you guys remember the E3 2005 trailer?

giphy.gif

This is the best quality I could find. But really there's no hd source of this?

Maybe someone found it?

Other I could find is 2 namco screenshots looking like they've been taken from hd res version.

ispom5AbT4VdB.jpg

ibeLE2NBnfOLzb.jpg

Is it dumb I had hoped we'll eventually get real time graphics like these in Tekken?

AAK

Yeah, that was a dark time indeed with the kz2 and motorstorm promises.

But I never cared for getting that cg level fidelity. All I expected was to be wowed the same way when I jumped from Tekken 2 to Tekken 3 and how wonderful it felt.

Valid point, but I hold the Tekken and Soul Calibur teams to the same standard.

But at the very least if you want a more relevant comparison you can check out the MKX game play reveal:

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=835196

Idk how you do it. They basically killed a good game with one patch. Then released an ass version of their best game. THEN Lost Swords and "Soul Calibur fans don't care about the competitive aspects" shit. I simply can't with the SC side of Namco.

AAK

Yeah, they have screwed up recently, but their pedigree of developers working there is insanely talented and so I still expect good things from them.

Gambit61

I was hype for Persona 5 even before it was announced, but that trailer was truly boner inducing.

They basically did everything I wanted which was just using the Catherine art style and having the characters the look older. Can't wait to get it now.

Manbig

They basically did everything I wanted which was just using the Catherine art style and having the characters the look older. Can't wait to get it now.

Yes! They even managed to seemingly avoid the moe blob bullshit while they were at it too.

AAK

MKX just announced its online modes trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNr4D-bvgsI

Brings back a lot of memories of Tekken Federation. Namco really went all out with TTT2. When that thing shut down I really feared Namco was going to cut the budget of the Tekken series insanely. And looking at what's up now with T7 it kinda does make sense.

It's another thing to see how Ed Boon keeps talking about how the only motivational factor when developing MKX is doing as many different things as the budget allows. Really puts into perspective how the Tekken development team must feel having to make such a similar game given so little room to innovate by their superiors.

The most remarkable thing about these pain videos is how it's always done in game and not in practice mode. Crazy execution.

228379514.jpg

I thought I heard that somewhere actually. Harada concentrating more on Pokken than Tekken 7 and TekkenXSF? Not sure how I feel about that. Is this Pokken supposed ot be huge or something? Tekken is a proven franchise even if it is losing some popularity. Pokken is not proven.....yet. Maybe they know something I do not know.

Unless I am missing something, I sincerely doubt we will drastic changes for Tekken 7 from February 2015 to March 2015 unless they are purposely holding confidential content back from the beta. I expect a few diminutive to adequate improvements sprinkled around here and there and of course the time released characters will add a little anticipation for some people, but I am not expecting significant changes to the game. They will probably implement improvements and upgrades during the game's life in the arcade of course the home version. Also, I don't think we are going to see a lot of hype for Tekken 7 until the home version starts to materialize unfortunately. Not looking forward to watching Youtube videos for the next 1 to 2.5 years waiting for the console version though. That is the part I really hate about it being in the arcade first. Oh well, at least we will have Guilty Gear, DOA5:LR and MKX to tie us over. I do not know what to do about my TTT2 on PS3 now. Need a new PS3 I guess. :/

sasuke_91

The most remarkable thing about these pain videos is how it's always done in game and not in practice mode. Crazy execution.

That's why I think they're a lot better than combo videos where people experiment in practice mode. This guy tries out his combos in real matches. In those few matches I had with him he always got me in a combo that cost me at least 120 damage. Too bad his defense against some characters is pretty bad, which is why he's never able to stay in the red ranks.
He uploaded Pain 14 a few days ago. Kaz/Dragunov, interesting team.

Persona 5 trailer looked great. I really like the artstyle. And as Manbig says, no moe!

That's why I think they're a lot better than combo videos where people experiment in practice mode. This guy tries out his combos in real matches. In those few matches I had with him he always got me in a combo that cost me at least 120 damage. Too bad his defense against some characters is pretty bad, which is why he's never able to stay in the red ranks.
He uploaded Pain 14 a few days ago. Kaz/Dragunov, interesting team.

Persona 5 trailer looked great. I really like the artstyle. And as Manbig says, no moe!

Yeah, that Persona 5 trailer looked nice. Was that Vincent from Catherine in it? @_@

av2k

I've never been so unhyped by a new Tekken installment before.. doesn't even look like they're trying to draw me back in. :T

Mortal Kombat, here I come!

Pachimari

I'm honestly a little bit hyped about Tekken 7. Just for the new characters and the beautiful stages.

But I got to admit, Mortal Kombat X looks awesome at this point.

All I honestly hope for at this point are much more cinematic Rage Arts. That is really all Tekken 7 will need to appeal to the masses. I just cannot accept that all the cool cinematic CG the team has created and then they give us such bland Rage Arts. As a creator myself, my ideas would be exploding at even the thought of what you could do. I mean imagine Paul's being like

Paul kicks opponent in the groin, zoom in on that face of pain.
Paul then tapes a piece of paper of a drawn alien on their face
Paul then deathfists them to oblivion!

Easy

AAK

The supers don't even have to be that obnoxious, just make them varied and give them new animations, not just copy pasted moves from legacy animations where the only new thing is the wind-up.

Only one that looks new and has some effort into it is King's. Kazuya and Heihachi's just looks straight out of Tag 1. And by variation, please don't let them all be some permutation of sending the enemy into the air finishing with a windup move.

Sayah

The rage arts are underwhelming. If I was the creative lead on rage arts, I would be exploding with ideas for each character. But now it really is just a bunch of general command list moves stringed together.

AAK

Mortal Kombat, here I come!

Let's hope Mortal Kombat tries to do 3D fighting for their next iteration, now with the ambition, budget, and effort they put into MK9 and MKX.

I'll try it eventually when I get a next gen capable machine but I can't see myself putting too much time into it being a 2D game.

GrayFoxPL

Let's hope Mortal Kombat tries to do 3D fighting for their next iteration, now with the ambition, budget, and effort they put into MK9 and MKX.

I'll try it eventually when I get a next gen capable machine but I can't see myself putting too much time into it being a 2D game.

That's highly, extremely highly unlikely. They did try with DA, Deception and Armageddon and it was a huge mess. Most fun was Deception, I like it, but on comparison to any other 3D fighter it was a caricature of a fighting game. Bizarre ideas strung together. Frankenstein monster.

No, no they just got to the point where they noticed they can do competent fighting game that reaches above casual crowd(MK9). First time since UMK3. They learned a lot from tournament feedback and their next game after MK9 , Injustice was already build on much stronger foundations. Right now you could say it's pretty balanced in tournament play.

I believe they took that all experience into MKX to make it a really viable tool for competitive players. Hardcore players. What's amazing is that they wont lose the casual crowd because of amount of content they always put into the games. Fantastic story mode, single player modes, unlockable bonuses and secrets.
Players that are in MK for characters, story, lore, flashy fatalities - all that is aside hardcore combos and setups, will still get what they really want.

Btw I wish Tekken dev treated Tekken lore, stories and it's characters with at least 1/5th of respect and attention Netheralm gives to theirs. And they don't stay in stagnation, they change everything up in every game.

Characters don't wear the same costume or look twice and everyone still perfectly recognizes them. No need for lazy "legacy" bullshit.

But I got sidetracked.

So, no, no 3D MK. They wont suddenly jump in that river again and waste all that work they did to make a comeback and win 2D fans back. They are still learning to polish their fighting games, something they honestly never did in the past.

To be honest they don't need to stray from that path at all. They're doing just awesome shit. And character 3 Variations is the best idea since Burst/Slash in SamSho4.

Can't wait to play MKX but I still have some hype left for T7 even if right now Tag2>>T5DR>>>T7. Shaheen might be shown on the 14th. He can save it!

Sayah

Tekken could have a really great story but alas.........

The starting concept is really nice. A tournament that various different fighters enter for different reasons and motivations. Just play on all of that further and have a cohesive and compelling story where you care for the characters and what happens to them in the tournament. Whether they succeed or fail.

But as it stands, every character is a winner in their final non-canon endings.

Damn. MKX looks hella involved. And evolved... weekly and daily faction tracking with perks to the winners?

Sounds like a shooting game MAG I used to play that I loved. It also had this "bigger picture" feel to it, with faction tracking and perks and spoils going to the victor.

Can't wait.

Also, I'm sure the deluxe edition sounds appealing, but it looks like my 2 main characters (Raiden and Reptile) are included from the get go, so I'm not feeling the urge to blow the full 90 bucks. :(

Sayah

MKX looks really great outside of Cassie Cages face. I really would have probably bought this if it wasn't for the extra $30/$35 price for the full game. I don't want to keep repeating that but I just can't support this game. If its a season pass, there needs to be way more than 4 characters/skins to justify a purchase.

Edit: now there's news there might be micro transactions in MKX. If true, f*** this game. I bet devs put their heart and soul into the game and now WB is being a greedy ass company.

GrayFoxPL

Tekken could have a really great story but alas.........

The starting concept is really nice. A tournament that various different fighters enter for different reasons and motivations. Just play on all of that further and have a cohesive and compelling story where you care for the characters and what happens to them in the tournament. Whether they succeed or fail.

But as it stands, every character is a winner in their final non-canon endings.

Yeah. It's not that hard to make coherent stories up. Right now Non-Mishima-Character = full retard.

They just messed it up after T4. They hired actual tv writer to help but he wasn't a huge fish so I doubt he wanted billions of yens for his work. He was enough for T4 stories to be well written.

But no "some genius" decided, Tekken story should be written during drunk karaoke nights.

"Guys, Devil Ganryu! Write that kuso down!"

"Oh shit I got it! In T6 Jin will start World War III because he hears a voice of giant chicken in his head! He'll be basically Hitler 2 but sexy!"

"We'll make a Leo a boy that is actually girl that looks like a girly boy! And we tell nobody!"

"Ok, but what has that to do with her story, about her mother, g corporation etc.?"

"Nothing. I just made it up after drinking the blue stuff!"

Some years later*:

"....So one day instead of beef, Kazuya chooses cornflakes for breakfast, right? He looks at the box and notices it's the same brand his mom used to give him all those years ago. All the memories start pouring in! Emotions! "Mom why?" Teary eyes! Rage! He now hates Heihachi like 7.5 times more then he did in every other Tekken! This will is the base of Tekken 7 story!"

"Wait. What about Tekken 6, WWW III, Ancient Chicken God, the World supposed be in ruins now and Jin is maybe dead, maybe not. Who rules Mishima Zaibatsu? What about that?!"

"Ah. That. Forget about it. Too much of the blue stuff. Those were the dark times."

"oh"

"Yeah. Anyway, now for new characters. I will give you 2 words but you will say nothing! I will read reactions from your expressions, okay? I will now instantly what you think."

"Okay..."

"Exorcist!"

"..."

"Idolmaster!"

"..."

"So you love it! I knew it! Done!"

"Boss...We beg you..."

"Hiroshi! Pour some more of that red stuff, I'm getting dry!"

Damn. MKX looks hella involved. And evolved... weekly and daily faction tracking with perks to the winners?

Sounds like a shooting game MAG I used to play that I loved. It also had this "bigger picture" feel to it, with faction tracking and perks and spoils going to the victor.

Can't wait.

Also, I'm sure the deluxe edition sounds appealing, but it looks like my 2 main characters (Raiden and Reptile) are included from the get go, so I'm not feeling the urge to blow the full 90 bucks. :(

Wonder if World Tekken Federation failed because we just shortened it to "WTF"? ;)

sasuke_91

^ I kind of think it happened exactly like that... ^

Would have loved to see what WTF was like. Got this game way too late. If there's going to be something similar in T7 (I doubt it) we'll have to form a TekkenGAF team.

Sayah

Yeah. It's not that hard to make coherent stories up. Right now Non-Mishima-Character = full retard.

They just messed it up after T4. They hired actual tv writer to help but he wasn't a huge fish so I doubt he wanted billions of yens for his work. He was enough for T4 stories to be well written.

But no "some genius" decided, Tekken story should be written during drunk karaoke nights.

"Guys, Devil Ganryu! Write that kuso down!"

"Oh shit I got it! In T6 Jin will start World War III because he hears a voice of giant chicken in his head! He'll be basically Hitler 2 but sexy!"

"We'll make a Leo a boy that is actually girl that looks like a girly boy! And we tell nobody!"

"Ok, but what has that to do with her story, about her mother, g corporation etc.?"

"Nothing. I just made it up after drinking the blue stuff!"

Some years later*:

"....So one day instead of beef, Kazuya chooses cornflakes for breakfast, right? He looks at the box and notices it's the same brand his mom used to give him all those years ago. All the memories start pouring in! Emotions! "Mom why?" Teary eyes! Rage! He now hates Heihachi like 7.5 times more then he did in every other Tekken! This will is the base of Tekken 7 story!"

"Wait. What about Tekken 6, WWW III, Ancient Chicken God, the World supposed be in ruins now and Jin is maybe dead, maybe not. Who rules Mishima Zaibatsu? What about that?!"

"Ah. That. Forget about it. Too much of the blue stuff. Those were the dark times."

"oh"

"Yeah. Anyway, now for new characters. I will give you 2 words but you will say nothing! I will read reactions from your expressions, okay? I will now instantly what you think."

"Okay..."

"Exorcist!"

"..."

"Idolmaster!"

"..."

"So you love it! I knew it! Done!"

"Boss...We beg you..."

"Hiroshi! Pour some more of that red stuff, I'm getting dry!"

LOLOLOLOLOL

This was a hilarious read.

Status
Not open for further replies.