• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
z7bbGvj.png

Bz3VIlI.png

GrayFoxPL

That bad gameplay. Ouch.

But At least I understand how the story battle works. I like that at certain point in lifebar your hard hitting move becomes more cinematic and your character talks shit. But in general it's very linear. Lifebar reseting at certain point after cutscene. One character charging unblockable where you hit him out of it and trigger QTE and outcome of a fight is always the same anyway.

It's better then some cutscene but I would like more freedom like depending how your doing, different cutscenes for perfects or low life, etc.

Either 14 characters are coming to fill all the started rows and empty places or just 2 for bottom far spaces, lol.

ylybVPL.jpg

Manbig

Good to see that 99% of the cast is rocking new gear as defaults. Now all they need to do is hit the delete key on Gigass, then add Marduk and we'll be in business.

CSX

The xb1 dpad is actually not that bad. Im actually having more trouble hitting buttons cuz of the oval shape of the buttons versus the flatness of the playstation buttons.

Character select screen looks absolutely fantastic with Nina at the very top first spot! ;-)
What bothers me (still) is story mode.
This is it? Story mode lets you decide between 2 characters (one of which isn't even an original Tekken character) to experience the story from their POV. So you get to play as either Heihachi or Akuma, and face off against Mishima/Kazama characters, because why would either of the two face off against a newcomer like Katarina in a mode that is titled "The Mishima Saga". Or even a mainstay like Paul, as GrayFox mentioned, who doesn't have any ties to the Mishimas other than hating the old man's pet.
So "story mode" will basically ignore every other Tekken character?
There's a very slight chance the mode, after initially selecting between Heihachi or Akuma, will branch off into further predetermined story battles. Choosing to (start to) play story mode as Heihachi could mean you play as Kazuya (vs Jin e.g.) afterwards, then maybe Kuma (vs Paul), Nina (vs Anna TBA) and so on, while Akuma's "path" will follow another set of characters.
"The Mishima Saga" could also be a single chapter from a wide selection of story mode chapters focusing on certain Tekken story lines and characters.
But I doubt it. The Mishima curse, ironically, is very aptly named so.
Huge bummer. I was hoping for something similar to what MK has done with its story mode in recent iterations, where you get to play each character and experience their particular part in the big picture. Isn't SF5 basically doing the same thing, and didn't DOA5 do something similar, too?
I guess I should just wait and see, but so far, with its 2 characters select screen, story mode looks like it might be very one-note and anything but the substantial single player content they tout it to be.

That's alot of assumption going around in your post. Until they show other wise or you play the final version there is no reason to jump to conclusions or get yourself worried or upset.

And no MK's story mode does not let you play as the entire cast, most of it yeah, but not all of them. In fact MKX's story mode is only the good guys playable and like... 2 of the villains.

And either way, it's a fighting game story mode. They are all one note, even the now template for fg story modes MK. They are just cutscenes, qtes, then fight then repeat. Not an RPG. I think everyone knows what they are getting when they say Fighting game story mode these days.

The xb1 dpad is actually not that bad. Im actually having more trouble hitting buttons cuz of the oval shape of the buttons versus the flatness of the playstation buttons.

Yeah that's the only drawback so far. Woulda been cool to have replaceable buttons as well. Didn't the MLG controller do this? Or was it the same?

Either way, bout to fire up the old eck bock and try this BC thing.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I like the look of the cinematic fight they showed, more interesting than 99% of fighters single player modes (JJBA still the mvp)

Then again, I'm never going to play the single player so I'm hardly the target market.

Pachimari

In Tekken 7 arcade every character only had 1 costume and 1 color by default. The only way to get an alt default color was to mirror match. Now you can select that alt color with a button press without the mirror.
Oh now I get it. That's great! Love Kazuya's purple.

LOL

https://twitter.com/mykeryu/status/742849975025963008

Guess that confirms there's more modes than the 2 ??? boxes. I guess those will be 2 brand new modes and then we'll get the traditional stuff like Ghost, Survival, Team Battle, Theater and the rest.

I really hope so. Ghost Battle have to be in.

Dereck

I'm looking at the whole situation now.

Bandai Namco wants to have Fated Retribution in arcades for about 9 months.

That's kind of what I was thinking they were going to do. So they have 9 months to announce a bunch of characters and content and then release it in arcades.

Tekken 7.0 was in arcades for about 15 months in comparison.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm looking at the whole situation now.

Bandai Namco wants to have Fated Retribution in arcades for about 9 months.

That's kind of what I was thinking they were going to do. So they have 9 months to announce a bunch of characters and content and then release it in arcades.

Tekken 7.0 was in arcades for about 15 months in comparison.

Namco have already stated that Tekken 7 in arcades will be supported for a long time, even after the console release.

Dereck

Namco have already stated that Tekken 7 in arcades will be supported for a long time, even after the console release.
Hmm, so that makes me wonder, how long are they gonna leave Fated Retribution in arcades

What are you thinkin'?

EDIT: Fated Retribution comes out July 5

ZeroX03

Banned
Hmm, so that makes me wonder, how long are they gonna leave Fated Retribution in arcades

What are you thinkin'?

EDIT: Fated Retribution comes out July 5

What do you mean by 'leave FR in arcades'? They're going to constantly update FR once it releases. Whatever updates arrive in arcades will also come to console too.

Dereck

What I mean is that there is a possibility that once the game goes to console, the arcade version will lose popularity and it'll be taken from arcades once they stop making money.

You're always hiding in the bushes waiting to correct people about Tekken, so maybe you know more than me on this topic.

Rajang

Yeah, Nakatsu talked about it a month ago. T7 FR will launch a new arcade business model, the game will be getting long time support and will be managed long after it launches in the arcades in July. He also said that there are many more characters that are currently planned on being added for Tekken 7 Fated Retribution (no new launch day characters tho).

I think it was posted here as well but people shrugged it off.

Dereck

Yeah, Nakatsu talked about it a month ago. T7 FR will launch a new arcade business model, the game will be getting long time support and will be managed long after it launches in the arcades in July. He also said that there are many more characters that are currently planned on being added for Tekken 7 Fated Retribution (no new launch day characters tho).

I think it was posted here as well but people shrugged it off.
I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm asking.

How long exactly?

Long after it launches.

I doubt the arcade version is going to be raking in profit with the game being on 4 platforms in 2017.

AAK

I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm asking.

How long exactly?

Long after it launches.

I doubt the arcade version is going to be raking in profit with the game being on 4 platforms in 2017.

A few months after console release, Namco will announce Tekken 7: ZR exclusive to arcades.

I don't know what 'taken from arcades' means.

Namco doesn't go around telling arcades to remove their cabs, right?

But if you mean, "how long will they actively support" i'd guess they'll have new DLC stuff for about a year and they'll sponsor tourneys for 3 years or so.

But totally just guessing.

Notes from the latest build based on Nobi vs Tokido.

-Either Backdashing got a huge buff in general or Akuma has a really good backdash.
- Dragonov's running 2 now does less damage on hit
- The amount of life the characters have seems to have greatly increased
- Dragonov's RD now has an optional follow up.
-Akuma can special cancel some jump ins.
-Generic low kick received a damage buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom