• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
They made Christie's skin lighter?
It's not as drastic as Vanessa... It's more like they can't decide. Sure, we could chalk it up to tanning, but it's still curious. Why didnt other characters do this as well? And then Josie got the treatment.

Tekken 4
29965.jpg

Tekken 5
MTS_lorilei_bird-310002-christie-monteiro-009.jpg

Side by side
Tekken-Tag-Tournament-2-image-tekken-tag-tournament-2-36304651-1280-720.jpg

Pachimari

I just hope that Josie don't get all kinds of hate from the fan base, because she have replaced Bruce. I don't want them to not include her in future installments.

I also want Christie and Jaycee back in Tekken 7.

No one said Christie is black. But if we're gonna complain about Josie, let's be fair to all. The whole color / tone issue is noticeable trend, between that and the aforementioned suspicious lack of black characters. The whole Namco's response of "we don't know how to handle this, so we're whitewashing where we can and removing what we can't" in order to play it safe is lame and they deserve to be called out for it.

I forgot who said it best earlier, but they should at least try. Make the effort. As it is... It's all adding to a theme: the cast is moving in one direction, and that looks bad.

The more I say they aren't black the better chance they'll be in the game.
I see what you did there.jpg

If it works, it works.

Rajang

Josie >> Bruce.

DZTXhmC.gif

I just hope that Josie don't get all kinds of hate from the fan base, because she have replaced Bruce. I don't want them to not include her in future installments.

I also want Christie and Jaycee back in Tekken 7.

Im already on the Josie hate train. The fact that they replaced a bad ass muay thai fighter with a girl that looks like a playboy bunny and cries after every win.. It just really rubs the wrong way. She looks incredibly whack to me when she is performing her moves. Big part of what makes playing Bruce so awesome is that it feels so satisfying to pull off his moves. He feels like such a powerful character, also the sounds he makes are awesome. Everytime you hit someone it feels like you are breaking bones. Josie is like the total opposite. Even her rage art is super whack: get ready to flyyyyyyyyy.
I dont understand why they didnt just evolve Bruce in his playstyle and let Josie be her own character.

And if there has to be a capo let it please be Eddy, he is way more iconic than Christie.

Oh, Tekken 7 has one good track after all.

My favorite song from T7 is Devil's Pit Final Round.

Village

So new Tekken players have better opinions? Okay.
Eh

All im going to say is josie is super basic, her character design does nothing for me. Which is key for me. Character looking cool. Yeah customizable outfits are a thing, but you have to interest me on a basic level to have me wanna customize you. Last game introduced leo this androgynous girl who litterally is rock fucking howard, and zafina who had an interesting design and contortionist moveset.And even tekken 6 cute girl is also a robot with chain saw arms. Josie is just cute girl, and in japanese games thats a dime a dozen. She just super basic and kind of nothing.

Josie has the personality of a wet cardboard box but at least she's nice to look at. Bruce is just there.

Brad from VF is like eight times as interesting a muay thai practitioner as Bruce and he's Blando McBlandipants.

Village

Josie has the personality of a wet cardboard box but at least she's nice to look at. Bruce is just there.
Im not with that, i would rather an interesting person than a hot one. If they are both bonus, but if I gotta chose i will choose the interesting one.

Also to your "hes sitting there " point. Im sure there are people who like the male characters in that regard who think josie is just there

Numb

Chloe is garbage
Kazumi has a tiger and is cool enough for Akumer to owe her one
People tend to forget Katarina for some reason I don't know

Nuszka

Im already on the Josie hate train. The fact that they replaced a bad ass muay thai fighter with a girl that looks like a playboy bunny and cries after every win...

Same here , since T2 Bruce was my main in any part he was in. Love his play style , but tbh if he will not be in T7 in any form , i will do my best to butch up Josie to unrecognizable levels and try her out.

Doomshine

Meh, I think Katarina is alright and it has nothing to do with T or A, will definitely try her out. Her moves look cool and seem satisfying to land.

Im sure there are people who like the male characters in that regard who think josie is just there

I used to defend a neutral viewpoint like this but found there's not much to gain. Easier to just state my own preferences.

So like you I'm certain there are people like that. I'm not stopping them from speaking their piece even if they are, obviously, dead wrong. =P

Honestly its not like i wanted Josie as the muay thai rep. I wanted Lucia Rijker in there because she's awesome and super buff unlike the other female characters and also Dutch. (Everyone wants to see their own nationality represented at some point, right?) Failing that i wanted Tony Jaa.

But i'll take Filipina-crybaby-with-outfit-from-Nisekoi as a step in the right direction i guess~

Chloe is garbage
Kazumi has a tiger and is cool enough for Akumer to owe her one
People tend to forget Katarina for some reason I don't know

I don't! Unless Kunimitsu suddenly returns i'm gonna play Kazumi/Katarina/Lili. From what i've seen I feel like Katarina has some pretty good tools to work with. We'll see how it works out in practice of course. Her kicks and knees look really cool to me if nothing else.

I do hope her face and hair model get some improvement. They didn't really nail it the first time imo.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Eh

All im going to say is josie is super basic, her character design does nothing for me. Which is key for me. Character looking cool. Yeah customizable outfits are a thing, but you have to interest me on a basic level to have me wanna customize you. Last game introduced leo this androgynous girl who litterally is rock fucking howard, and zafina who had an interesting design and contortionist moveset.And even tekken 6 cute girl is also a robot with chain saw arms. Josie is just cute girl, and in japanese games thats a dime a dozen. She just super basic and kind of nothing.

Hold on just a moment, Josie isn't just a cute girl! She's a cute girl who cries like a small child that didn't get the ice cream they wanted when she wins.

L... like me please?

Playsage

Katarina is in because someone has to represent the "twins". No Anna, no Christie... not much left to "fill the void".

:/
Asuka.
They just keep getting bigger.

I will never understand a thing: why they decided to make another brazilian character and replaced the capos with Lucky Chloe?
Makes no damn sense to me.

By the way, Josie is probably the best Tekken k.a.s.g. since Asuka.

Numb

New T7 character ranking

Shaheen - Looks cool,fights cool,talks cool and is good

Kazumi - bias alert!

Yoshi - yes I'm counting this as new

Akuma - it's Akuma

Katarina - Don't hate her design but that custom derick posted was the 💣

Josie - she cute. Remove the red thing on head. Bruce replacing gets minus points tho -_-

Claudio - dude is anime. Turning clothes black giving him cap to play as jotaro day 1

Gigas - wtf. Wow

Chloe -
walking_garbage_can-2232.gif

Meh, I think Katarina is alright and it has nothing to do with T or A, will definitely try her out. Her moves look cool and seem satisfying to land.
Of course. She's like Sarah from VF, but with more... Well just more.
Asuka.
They just keep getting bigger.
I can include that. Maybe she's sneaking in some silicone between tournaments. Or she's learned some Eliza tech. You know. From the lab.

I was gonna let you have this one, and then you said this.

Be sexist brehs.

Liking how a character looks is not sexist. Bruce is ugly and the most boring character ever conceived. Josie is cute and has the stupid crying thing. I prefer the second. You don't. Okay.

But explaining this to a judgemental bigot is pointless and you're sounding a lot like one right now. Maybe try formulating an argument next time instead of this inflammatory garbage.

Oh, Tekken 7 has one good track after all.

Twilight Conflict - Final Round is nice, i feel.

Dereck

I was looking for a reason from Josie fans that prefer Josie over Bruce other than her being attractive.

It looks like I pushed a few buttons in the process.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Also, I don't think Bruce is ugly or boring in his conception. I do think that the Tekken team is terrible at writing anything remotely compelling for him to do. I think that's part of "not understanding black people enough", so rather than trying to tackle the problem head on, they just left him under-cooked, underutilized, and did the bare minimum to keep him loosely relevant to whatever game he was in.

I'd have preferred that they took the time to develop something interesting for him to do and find a way to connect him to other characters rather than just replace him. He and Lei are supposed to have been former partners according to Tekken 2, but they have absolutely zero interactions. Instead he's just Kazuya's grunt in Tekken 6 for no better reason than "that's what he was doing in Tekken 2". Hell, in Tekken 5 one of his interludes is with Steve just because their fighting styles both use the word "boxing" and they couldn't come up with anything better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom