• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

Also, I don't think Bruce is ugly or boring in his conception. I do think that the Tekken team is terrible at writing anything remotely compelling for him to do. I think that's part of "not understanding black people enough", so rather than trying to tackle the problem head on, they just left him under-cooked, underutilized, and did the bare minimum to keep him loosely relevant to whatever game he was in.

I'd have preferred that they took the time to develop something interesting for him to do and find a way to connect him to other characters rather than just replace him. He and Lei are supposed to have been former partners according to Tekken 2, but they have absolutely zero interactions. Instead he's just Kazuya's grunt in Tekken 6 for no better reason than "that's what he was doing in Tekken 2". Hell, in Tekken 5 one of his interludes is with Steve just because their fighting styles both use the word "boxing" and they couldn't come up with anything better.
Well said

Sayah

Dayug - somebody bid $205 for Nina Williams in a single-elimination auction tournament that has Poongko and Anakin in the brackets.

Rajang

Also, I don't think Bruce is ugly or boring in his conception. I do think that the Tekken team is terrible at writing anything remotely compelling for him to do. I think that's part of "not understanding black people enough", so rather than trying to tackle the problem head on, they just left him under-cooked, underutilized, and did the bare minimum to keep him loosely relevant to whatever game he was in.

I'd have preferred that they took the time to develop something interesting for him to do and find a way to connect him to other characters rather than just replace him. He and Lei are supposed to have been former partners according to Tekken 2, but they have absolutely zero interactions. Instead he's just Kazuya's grunt in Tekken 6 for no better reason than "that's what he was doing in Tekken 2". Hell, in Tekken 5 one of his interludes is with Steve just because their fighting styles both use the word "boxing" and they couldn't come up with anything better.

AAK

Akuma ($105) - Poongko
Hwoarang ($27) - Speedkicks
Jack 7 ($20) - Anakin
Devil Jin ($33) - Kodee
Kazuya ($32) - Gandido
Bryan ($1) - Gareth
Steve ($30) - OVA9K
Leo ($23) - Party Wolf
King ($65) - Xavier Woods
Alisa ($10) - Rin
Heihachi ($33) - Limit47
Law ($27) - Rick the Ruler
Gigas ($50) - N8monster
Nina ($205) - Vicious Shadi
Josie ($21) - Tom 7
Xiaoyu ($11) - Will English

AAK

OMG @ Dragon Punch... I think I should avoid online ranked completely once Tekken 7 hits. An ever so slightly delayed input and it's over for me.

I haven't been keeping up with anything. Did tracks get remixed/changed from vanilla to FR? I'm now worrying about my soundtrack completionist ocd. I'm assuming a special edition with a soundtrack will be a thing, but all versions of all songs? What about the stages in the console release?

cordy

Banned
I haven't been keeping up with anything. Did tracks get remixed/changed from vanilla to FR? I'm now worrying about my soundtrack completionist ocd. I'm assuming a special edition with a soundtrack will be a thing, but all versions of all songs? What about the stages in the console release?

On TZ somebody said so so...I guess. I haven't heard anything personally.

cordy

Banned
For which? OST changing, ost containing all tracks or game containing all stages?

When I asked on TZ, I asked if some tracks were remixed and arranged like previous Tekken games and they said yes some have been. An example they used was the Mishima Dojo stage. The song in the FR Rage Attack trailer in a little different than the one in the original T7. So, either they're going to give stages 2 different themes or just replace previous ones, who knows.

We also know that composer Yuu Miyake said on Twitter he's going to provide music for FR and Miyake hasn't provided much soundtracks after T4; a few soundtracks for T5 and the soundtrack of the Moai Excavation stage in TTT2. Also Lars has his own theme for T7FR as well so we know new music is coming but yeah it's changing in the actual game it seems.

I'm really hope they go with arranged music like in T3 or they go with different stages having different but similar themes like T5/DR.

Pachimari

Honestly, I only prefer Josie over Bruce because she is filipina. That's all I ever wanted from Tekken and I got it. And she is hard kicking which is just a plus! Though I had preferred that she weren't just a replacement for Bruce, but that she had actually gotten her own fighting style.

When I asked on TZ I asked if some tracks were remixed and arranged like previous Tekken games and they said yeah some have been. An example they used was the Mishima Dojo stage. The song in the FR Rage Attack trailer in a little different than the one in the original T7. So, either they're going to give stages 2 different themes or just replace previous ones, who knows.

We also know that composer Yuu Miyake said on Twitter he's going to provide music for FR and Miyake hasn't provided much soundtracks after T4; a few soundtracks for T5 and the soundtrack of the Moai Excavation stage in TTT2. Also Lars has his own theme for T7FR as well so we know new music is coming but yeah it's changing in the actual game it seems.

I'm really hope they go with arranged music like in T3 or they go with different stages having different but similar themes like T5/DR.
Wow, thanks for the info.

Either way, I need a new music player to store all of my Tekken music again.

Momentary

Banned
I kind of stopped playing Tekken after Tekken 6 on 360 because of my jump over to strictly PC gaming, but I found this in my moving boxes today and got me all hyped again for Tekken 7

I have Tekken 5 DR on PSP and I'll probably pick up Tekken 6 and Tekken Hybrid for PS3 to just have.

Sayah

I kind of stopped playing Tekken after Tekken 6 on 360 because of my jump over to strictly PC gaming, but I found this in my moving boxes today and got me all hyped again for Tekken 7

I have Tekken 5 DR on PSP and I'll probably pick up Tekken 6 and Tekken Hybrid for PS3 to just have.

Wow. We need another collection like that.

DEATH™

Don't forget the Tag2 discs too

Playsage

For me that is just an excuse, expecially when they have already a really cool black character in Eddy Gordo. He is also one of the few character that was saved from Tekken 6's overall terrible writing.

GrayFoxPL

Bruce like every other character that isn't mishima got minimized in the story. It's a really shitty. Bruce actually trained the fucking Tekken Force. I really liked in Tekken 5 how Bruce meets Kaz and they talk about old times. There should me more about that not some stupid ass comedy.

Tekken Team needs to realise players want equal justice and attention to all characters in terms of story and character background.

They literally started few story arcs and left them going nowhere. But they expand Mishima story to a whole universum of another game. Lulz, just big lulz.

sasuke_91

Haven't been here for a while. Didn't even respond to GrayFox's GGs 4 pages back.

Honestly, I only prefer Josie over Bruce because she is filipina. That's all I ever wanted from Tekken and I got it. And she is hard kicking which is just a plus! Though I had preferred that she weren't just a replacement for Bruce, but that she had actually gotten her own fighting style.

I don't get it. She does seem as much as a Filipina to me as Leo is German. It's like they put a label on her saying "Now you're Filipina".
That crying before and after a match is more than annoying. Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't look at Shaheen and think "Finally a Arab character!". Well, he does look a bit too much like Aladdin :p
Maybe it's just because the whole idea of nationalism is so strange to me.

That was hype! Finally watching the game knowing that we'll get our hands on it soon is really cool!

Pachimari

I don't get it. She does seem as much as a Filipina to me as Leo is German. It's like they put a label on her saying "Now you're Filipina".
That crying before and after a match is more than annoying. Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't look at Shaheen and think "Finally a Arab character!". Well, he does look a bit too much like Aladdin :p

Yeah, well probably this. It's really not that hard to understand. For a large part of my life, I have seen myself as a world citizen, and couldn't connect to a specific country, but by no means is it hard to relate to nationalism. Maybe it's because I have been in the Philippines, where the people are extreme nationalists, that I understand their point of view.

Playsage

A question: if I download the PSN version of Dark Ressurection for 9.99€, do I have to spend only 10€ more for the Online version (which has a bunch more modes in it) or I have to buy it at 19.99€?

This is what ruined Paul's storyline without a doubt. He went from being a badass and the only person who could hold his own against Kazuya Mishima, to a goofball issuing out challenges to aliens in outer space. Not to mention the Kuma vortex he was stuck in for like 3-4 games.Like, what the hell man?

With each new installment I hoped we'd be able to return to Paul's T2 story, but it seems as if that ship has sailed in the devs eyes. :(

If you're not a Mishima/Kazama, you're doing comedy hour.

Tekken 5 Paul was still bearable and funny in his goofiness as he was crazy strong and confident about himself. The only thing that really disappointed me was that the dream re-match with Kazuya never occured when it was hyped in his prologue and it's his main motivation in getting back in shape after T4.

Than Tekken 6 happens and he becomes a fuckin' CHEATER in order to win money!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Bruce like every other character that isn't mishima got minimized in the story. It's a really shitty. Bruce actually trained the fucking Tekken Force. I really liked in Tekken 5 how Bruce meets Kaz and they talk about old times. There should me more about that not some stupid ass comedy.

Tekken Team needs to realise players want equal justice and attention to all characters in terms of story and character background.

They literally started few story arcs and left them going nowhere. But they expand Mishima story to a whole universum of another game. Lulz, just big lulz.

This is what ruined Paul's storyline without a doubt. He went from being a badass and the only person who could hold his own against Kazuya Mishima, to a goofball issuing out challenges to aliens in outer space. Not to mention the Kuma vortex he was stuck in for like 3-4 games.Like, what the hell man?

With each new installment I hoped we'd be able to return to Paul's T2 story, but it seems as if that ship has sailed in the devs eyes. :(

We went from this to this. T-T

GrayFoxPL

Haven't been here for a while. Didn't even respond to GrayFox's GGs 4 pages back.

That was hype! Finally watching the game knowing that we'll get our hands on it soon is really cool!

Heya buddy!

Yeah the character nationally sometimes as random as stages in Tag2. Lars could be from Belgium, Lili could be British. They're like "whatever". That's why is pretty unbelievable to me they have a such huge problem with making a Black character. Unless they are thinking of making Training Day Denzel, they could just pick any country, any fighting style and just put it on Black dude or girl and there, done. That hard? Lol.

A question: if I download the PSN version of Dark Ressurection for 9.99€, do I have to spend only 10€ more for the Online version (which has a bunch more modes in it) or I have to buy it at 19.99€?

You shouldn't be able to buy Dark Ressurection without "Online" at all. This is strange, make sure you're not buying PSP version.

Tekken 5 Paul was still bearable and funny in his goofiness as he was crazy strong and confident about himself. The only thing that really disappointed me was that the dream re-match with Kazuya never occured when it was hyped in his prologue and it's his main motivation in getting back in shape after T4.

Than Tekken 6 happens and he becomes a fuckin' CHEATER in order to win money!

We went from this to this. T-T

Exactly guys, exactly. Paul was even plastered all over T1 Arcade Cabinet. In the 90's people were sure Paul was of the main/most important characters.

I guess "someone" didn't like that gaijin could have an important role in the game. When that "someone" took over control of the franchise he ridiculed the "unworthy" characters while later introducing "genius" designs like Alisa. Totally accidentally becoming one of the main characters in feature length movie.

Paul, Law, "every non Mishima" etc won't be treated with respect until "someone" is still has the last word about everything in Tekken.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That CEOG finals are crazy!

GrayFoxPL

Sorry if it's been asked already but have Namco said anything about Tekken Tunes in Tekken 7 yet? Was a neat feature in Tag 2.

I don't think so.

I hope it's back, I've listened to T7 tracks 1000 times watching all the matches, way more then a sane mind could stand. If there's no Tekken Tunes it's mute time.

Village

Hold on just a moment, Josie isn't just a cute girl! She's a cute girl who cries like a small child that didn't get the ice cream they wanted when she wins.

L... like me please?

You canceled Megus XLR Sybotic Titan, Young Justice , took out bruce for this

#Basic

I don't think so.

I hope it's back, I've listened to T7 tracks 1000 times watching all the matches, way more then a sane mind could stand. If there's no Tekken Tunes it's mute time.

I mean technically speaking every pc game has custom sound tracks if you try hard enough.

GrayFoxPL

Guys seriously, what Tekken competition will you get on PC. Want to be paper kings in realm where players take their first baby tekken steps?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Part of the idiocy of the PS4 not being able to store it's own music. The best you can do is use the USB music player or Spotify, but that requires a lot more manual work. Sucks.

AAK

Guys seriously, what Tekken competition will you get on PC. Want to be paper kings in realm where players take their first baby tekken steps?

It shall be a realm where I can avoid customizations and ridiculous LC's thanks to the superior mods :)

Doomshine

Part of the idiocy of the PS4 not being able to store it's own music. The best you can do is use the USB music player or Spotify, but that requires a lot more manual work. Sucks.

Well at least it works with every game and doesn't require any special "custom soundtrack support".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom