• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Miguel is the most popular character yet to be in the game, I'd still say he's quite a possibility.

Zafina on the other hand, she's probably dead in the water.

If Miguel returns, we'll have 5 out of the 6 new characters that were in Tekken 6. I guess it can happen but it'll just be annoying because Tekken 6 had some of the worst new character designs (until Tekken 7 trumped it in that category). Miguel, of course, wasn't one of those designs but the over representation of Tekken 6 while key characters like Anna, Lee, Julia/Michelle, and Lei are missing is not much appreciated.

Gambit61

Fuck Bob, but holy shit female Raven.
BlIGQ1l.png

Just wish my tag partner for Raven
Bruce
looked this cool.

ZeroX03

Banned
If Miguel returns, we'll have 5 out of the 6 new characters that were in Tekken 6. I guess it can happen but it'll just be annoying because Tekken 6 had some of the worst new character designs (until Tekken 7 trumped it in that category). Miguel, of course, wasn't one of those designs but the over representation of Tekken 6 while key characters like Anna, Lee, Julia/Michelle, and Lei are missing is not much appreciated.

Not really going to argue on character designs, that's totally a personal thing. I think it's fair not to expect characters to be dropped after only two games unless they're really unpopular (Zafina). All the other T6 characters are reasonably well liked and played, your thoughts on their designs not withstanding.

Also you're talking like all those other characters are already out. Until they're all revealed, criticizing one character's inclusion over another is kind of meaningless. Julia, Lee and Anna are right at the top of the returning list, and maybe Kuma and Lei vying for legacy inclusions.

Nothing to worry about yet.

Sayah

Not really going to argue on character designs, that's totally a personal thing. I think it's fair not to expect characters to be dropped after only two games unless they're really unpopular (Zafina). All the other T6 characters are reasonably well liked and played, your thoughts on their designs not withstanding.

Also you're talking like all those other characters are already out. Until they're all revealed, criticizing one character's inclusion over another is kind of meaningless. Julia, Lee and Anna are right at the top of the returning list, and maybe Kuma and Lei vying for legacy inclusions.

Nothing to worry about yet.

The reason those characters were overplayed is thanks to how top tier they were. Lars and Bob were annoyingly good. And now that Lars got the nerf bat, I rarely ever see him being used on streams.

They did the same thing with Shaheen. They want people to play the new characters.

ZeroX03

Banned
The reason those characters were overplayed is thanks to how top tier they were. Lars and Bob were annoyingly good. And now that Lars got the nerf bat, I rarely ever see him being used on streams.

They did the same thing with Shaheen. They want people to play the new characters.

I don't disagree exactly re Bob's tier, but you're still assuming a bit. It's not like their popularity drops off a cliff. Miguel wasn't top tier in TTT2 and he's still ahead of all the characters you're asking for. Namco Bandai has more raw data on usage on all platforms than any of us too, it goes beyond just streams.

AAK

Yeah, Bob was more popular on Namco's system because he was S tier in every game he was in. People enjoyed winning, hence why he had more playtime while Zafina was consistently among the worst characters in the game.

When Namco did their popularity poll, Zafina placed way higher than Bob.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah, Bob was more popular on Namco's system because he was S tier in every game he was in. People enjoyed winning, hence why he had more playtime while Zafina was consistently among the worst characters in the game.

6.0 Zafina tho

That's a really old popularity poll with an obvious bent toward a certain kind of casual. Like I said, they have information from every source and will include accordingly. Sorry, Wang and Roger fans.

Sayah

Anyways, I'm still really glad to see they're really listening to the fans. First with the graphical overhaul and the brand new defaults for all returning characters. And now a black female character that looks badass.

Yeah, Zafina was like B-tier. :/ I didn't use her much but she had a really cool gameplay style and some of my all-time favorite default costumes.
zafina____by_hwoarang666-d312yes.png

e11a7cd9269424bc14c3d03d96960145.jpg

AAK

6.0 Zafina tho

That's a really old popularity poll with an obvious bent toward a certain kind of casual. Like I said, they have information from every source and will include accordingly. Sorry, Wang and Roger fans.

That was a generic facebook poll, open to everyone. Not targeted to any specific community whether it be casual or competitive. There's plenty of competitive people that have facebook accounts that could have voted for their top tier characters.

My main point is that Namco's play data isn't the most valid measure of character popularity since character balance influences that significantly more than actual love for the character..

ZeroX03

Banned
That was a generic facebook poll, open to everyone. Not targeted to any specific community whether it be casual or competitive. There's plenty of competitive people that have facebook accounts that could have voted for their top tier characters.

My main point is that Namco's play data isn't the most valid measure of character popularity since character balance influences that significantly more than actual love for the character..

Don't pretend like a Facebook poll doesn't skew heavily to the Western casual fandom. The competitive players largely don't care, and it also cuts off most Asian players who don't use it. It's one point of (very old) data that we can add to the list.

My point was that Namco has more data than any of us, so blanket statements like "Bob is only popular because he's top tier and nobody else would play him" just aren't something you can say with certainty. More than that, Namco has access to console character use rates that we don't, as well as things like social media demand. Arcades in Asia cater to more than just the best of the best too (hence the low tier girls who don't show up in tournaments that often staying reasonably high) so don't discount that data as competitive only. They've got the information, if Bob is in it's with good reason.

AAK

if Bob is in it's with good reason.

Yes, and that reason doesn't necessarily have to do with data. Yeah, I'm sure Namco has a bunch of other information, but for all we know that info can also further enforce how other characters are more popular than Bob. Bottom line to me is that Bob is in the game because Namco wants him to be. That's the vision they have for their game whether all their data compliments it or not.

Finally got to play T7 FR last night. Really really fun, but yeah the Akuma's were out online for sure. I beat 3 people before I had to go but definitely got the itch to play this more. Will have to figure out how to get a banapass and hit it again later.

Really want to learn Nina, but shes always hard lol.

I couldn't see them introducing Bob in T6 and have him gone 2 games later so easily. Especially considering how much he was used in tourneys. He just seemed way too popular, almost more than Lars sometimes.

Master Raven?
I guess some thin plot point will be made to excuse this. She was Raven's master and replaced him when he disappeared after the events of T6. Maybe she's even looking for him, who knows. Raven could also just be a title or namesake, like Yoshimitsu. I'm mildly interested to see her relationship to Yoshi if any.

SeemsGood I guess.

Edit==
This definitely seems aimed at western audiences, for sure. Both Raven and Bob were way more popular in the west than Asia, from what I recall.

I couldn't see them introducing Bob in T6 and have him gone 2 games later so easily. Especially considering how much he was used in tourneys. He just seemed way too popular, almost more than Lars sometimes.

Master Raven?
I guess some thin plot point will be made to excuse this. She was Raven's master and replaced him when he disappeared after the events of T6. Maybe she's even looking for him, who knows. Raven could also just be a title or namesake, like Yoshimitsu. I'm mildly interested to see her relationship to Yoshi if any.

SeemsGood I guess.

Edit==
This definitely seems aimed at western audiences, for sure. Both Raven and Bob were way more popular in the west than Asia, from what I recall.
She'll become the new Yoshimitsu for Tekken 8 and Namco will introduce MKX's variation system and let us choose between classic Yoshi, Kuni or Raven style. Same will go for other characters. For example: Gigas will crush Jack and Alisa and you can use either of those styles or Marduk etc.

Not a serious thought. But I'd prefer it to just sticking characters into a blender a la Jin initially being part Jun, part Kaz.

The name Master Raven sucks but she looks cool. I'll always support female versions of male characters. Let's get a girl Lei.
I'm picturing a sleeveless, pantless female Lei now. No way they don't show skin.

Pachimari

I think Raven is a title in a clan now. I can't see her as his boss, so maybe she's just a higher class assassin. I love her design and finally a black woman but her suit sucks. Bob eh, I'm still holding out for Miguel, Zafina, Lei and JayCee.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
DEATH™;210374712 said:
Tekken 7 learned from Overwatch.

Waifus make everything better Kappa

Female Paul when?

She will show up in Tekken 8 which will be a timeskip. Will be Paul and Nina's daughter. Quote me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom