• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
But aren't they the same in Tekken? 2D player here, so I'm sorry if I'm missing obvious stuff.

Well not exactly. Overheads in SF are used to open up players because Crouch Blocking is blocks most moves in 2D games.

The closet comparison to overheads in 3D games are lows because Standing Guard is blocks most moves in the game are lows and used to open up.

Yeah mids have to blocked high but most of the time you're blocking standing so there's no need to give it that name.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The idea that people were freaking out about Akuma like he wouldn't be nerfed is hilarious to me. We all know how many updates these games have before they hit consoles now. He was obviously going to get hit especially after people started seeing what he could do.

We still remember T4 Jin and T6 Bob

GrayFoxPL

No one likes Lei, obviously... !

I hate how much they are pulling characters from polls and market research rather than deciding what they think is right...

It's just an easy way out answer for Harada. He knows he can't put low stance character in so he bullshits.

Don't believe his lies.

Dereck

Impressive, but VF was doing the skin darkening forever ago.
The last VF game came out forever ago too.

Dead or Alive 5
f206.png
VF and ever since then it's been hard times.

GrayFoxPL

I must say Jacky in DOA is pretty awesome. Cool gameplay integration and big upgrade in character models and faces over VF5.

Wonder if VF is truly dead or VF6 secretly outsourced to Team Ninja.

GrayFoxPL

Btw do you guys notice the fg trends?

Doa5 also added clowny characters or chibi cutsy girlies about the same time as we got ours in 7.

VF always got my respect that it never went that road. But who knows maybe if VF6 was on the marked they'd pull that shit off too. Nah, but maybe as it was VF that created whole crazy custom fare.

Doa5 also added clowny characters or chibi cutsy girlies about the same time as we got ours in 7.

VF always got my respect that it never went that road. But who knows maybe if VF6 was on the marked they'd pull that shit off too. Nah, but maybe as it was VF that created whole crazy custom fare.

Are you serious? What the fuck is Eileen then? She is literally designed to be a cutsy girl fighter.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Not this again. Tekken has had silly shit since Tekken 1.

Streetfighter has had Dan for ~20 years

Fighting games have always, will always have daft stuff

GrayFoxPL

Not this again. Tekken has had silly shit since Tekken 1.

Streetfighter has had Dan for ~20 years

Fighting games have always, will always have daft stuff

I'm talking about trend bringing similar type of clowny characters at the same time. It just happens.

And Dan was a parody character of rival company who also had parody character in return. I'm not talking about that.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm talking about trend bringing similar type of clowny characters at the same time. It just happens.

And Dan was a parody character of rival company who also had parody character in return. I'm not talking about that.

No, seriously, not this again, there was a whole thread on it already which is a better place for it.

He's saying that not many people are requesting him on twitter. I don't see why he would lie about that.

Everytime I check his feed and read what people ask for characters I have yet to read anyone asking for Lei.

I still think Lei will be in the game tho.
Considering how many people were asking for Bob to *not* be in, who knows what Harada is thinking.

Sayah

Considering how many people were asking for Bob to *not* be in, who knows what Harada is thinking.

Some characters are played and remain popular regardless of their tier ranking (Alisa). Other characters are played exclusively because of their tier ranking. I love how Lars moved all the way to the bottom of the arcade character popularity rankings in Tekken 7 thanks to the nerfs. I think Bob will be a similar scenario if he similarly gets downgraded to a B-tier character. Only the few die hard fans will use him. Therearedozensofus.gif

Yet somehow Bob and Lars are in the game despite being liked by barely anyone. Whereas characters like Miguel and Zafina, whose designs/personalities a lot of people liked, will probably never make it into Tekken 7 because they weren't S tier characters to begin with (in T6 or TTT2).

Some characters are played and remain popular regardless of their tier ranking (Alisa). Other characters are played exclusively because of their tier ranking. I love how Lars moved all the way to the bottom of the arcade character popularity rankings in Tekken 7 thanks to the nerfs. I think Bob will be a similar scenario if he similarly gets downgraded to a B-tier character. Only the few die hard fans will use him. Therearedozensofus.gif

Yet somehow Bob and Lars are in the game despite being liked by barely anyone. Whereas characters like Miguel and Zafina, whose designs/personalities a lot of people liked, will probably never make it into Tekken 7 because they weren't S tier characters to begin with (in T6 or TTT2).

When it comes to requested characters, I don't really believe anybody has an idea what has been requested or what's really popular or why people like/dislike a character.

Jun is the crowning example of characters that a lot of people requested only because....we really have no real idea. THE LORE, Her fighting style. Only been in one canon game. i could go on and on.

People claim to think that Bob is hated because that one EVO finals (and the only time a Bob v Bob finals happened looking back.) but people mainly hate playing against him(never had that problem myself) but a lot of people play him because he's easy to play. Lars is the same way tbh.

All I'm saying is a lot of the time we're basing things of anecdotal info and sometimes its not reliable.

Yeah I hate Bob but I'm not positive Bob is all that disliked. As someone who spent (and continues to!!!!) plenty of time toiling around the scrub ranks, Bob is always easy to run into. One of my best friends is a Bob fan because they're both fatties and he thinks the Speed And Weight gimmick is funny.

He looks wack to me and he's annoying as shit to fight against, but others see a character with really flashy attacks and a shoryuken.

Rajang

Yeah, from what I understand Bob seems to be a popular character online but just hated by the majority of the competitive players.

Sayah

When it comes to requested characters, I don't really believe anybody has an idea what has been requested or what's really popular or why people like/dislike a character.

Jun is the crowning example of characters that a lot of people requested only because....we really have no real idea. THE LORE, Her fighting style. Only been in one canon game. i could go on and on.

People claim to think that Bob is hated because that one EVO finals (and the only time a Bob v Bob finals happened looking back.) but people mainly hate playing against him(never had that problem myself) but a lot of people play him because he's easy to play. Lars is the same way tbh.

All I'm saying is a lot of the time we're basing things of anecdotal info and sometimes its not reliable.

People can find a character interesting for whatever reason they want but Lars and Bob have defining design/personality traits that are unappealing and dumb like Lars stupid haircut and Bobs doofus speed and weight gimmick. Enough people have expressed dislike for these two characters. You won't see nearly as enough hate for a character like Zafina or similarly defining stupid traits in her design/personality.

ZeroX03

Banned
I love how Lars moved all the way to the bottom of the arcade character popularity rankings in Tekken 7 thanks to the nerfs.

Not in vanilla he didn't, what are you talking about? Last time you were just like "I didn't see him in streams, I guess he's not popular anymore". He was still top 10 (popularity) in 7.0.

Lars less popular than Yoshi, you're fuckin' crazy.

Doomshine

People can find a character interesting for whatever reason they want but Lars and Bob have defining design/personality traits that are unappealing and dumb like Lars stupid haircut and Bobs doofus speed and weight gimmick. Enough people have expressed dislike for these two characters. You won't see nearly as enough hate for a character like Zafina or similarly defining stupid traits in her design/personality.

KexQWLr.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
Hahahaha.

Lars and Bob may be hated by many, but they're also loved by many. This stuff isn't simply one-sided lol

People let their hate cloud, well, logic and statistics. And of course the negative voice is going to be louder.

Lars was the lead of the T6 story mode. Chances are there's a good chunk of casuals who are fond of him. That and he's just played plenty at all levels, despite Sayah's objections.

Sayah

People let their hate cloud, well, logic and statistics. And of course the negative voice is going to be louder.

Lars was the lead of the T6 story mode. Chances are there's a good chunk of casuals who are fond of him. That and he's just played plenty at all levels, despite Sayah's objections.
See above

Sayah

Again, that's not actually a thing that happened. Repeating a lie doesn't make it true.
lol
Character usage for July in Korea:

1. Akuma
2. Paul
3. Kazuya
4. Bryan
5. Hwoarang
6. Nina
7. King
8. Devil Jin
9. Claudio
10. Jin
11. Steve
12. Dragunov
13. Heihachi
14. Asuka
15. Lili
16. Law
17. Alisa
18. Shaheen
19. Jack-7
20. Ling Xiaoyu
21. Lucky Chloe
22. Josie
23. Lars
24. Leo
25. Kazumi
26. Feng
27. Yoshimitsu
28. Katarina
29. Gigas

Japan:
1. Akuma
2. Bryan
3. Nina
4. King
5. Paul
6. Dragunov
7. Heihachi
8. Kazuya
9. Steve
10. Claudio
11. Asuka
12. Lili
13. Hwoarang
14. Xiaoyu
15. Law
16. Jin
17. Alisa
18. Feng
19. Gigas
20. Yoshimitsu
21. Devil Jin
22. Katarina
23. Jack-7
24. Chloe
25. Shaheen
26. Leo
27. Lars
28. Josie
29. Kazumi

Poor Katarina. :(

ZeroX03

Banned

You know character usage in arcades in the first month of a new version isn't representative of how the game will shake out right? He was 10th all time in 7.0. Akuma isn't going to stay at the top. Nina will drop like a rock in a month or two.

In September Master Raven will be high up there, short of being incredibly broken she'll be bounced to the bottom by November. That's how arcade goes. Characters getting consistent use will find a level and match it. Popularity rankings (in arcade, not console) aren't some mystery, they've had a pretty consistent flow.

wAbyjoX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom