• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Actually though. Looking back, wasn't Bryan meant to get a new body at one point in the story? Imagine if Namco actually went through with that.

GrayFoxPL

Actually though. Looking back, wasn't Bryan meant to get a new body at one point in the story? Imagine if Namco actually went through with that.

Yeah it was probably the idea after T4.

Wonder if there's concept art for "New Bryan" in Harada's lowest desk drawer.

Maybe all the ideas were crappy.

MikeMyers

Namco Employee; Here's a new design for Bryan in Tekken 5.

Harada: Why would Bryan need a new design?

Namco Employee; Don't you remember his Tekken 4 ending?

Harada: There was a Tekken 4?

Sayah

*sees all the Bob hate.*

I guess its something I just will never understand :'(

It's really not that hard to understand.

That wouldn't change a thing if she was still Bob.

I don't hate Bob because of his appearance, I find it shallow and distasteful when ppl hate him because he's fat or smth.
When he was announced in T6 I was super hyped that we'd get Sammo Hung alongside Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee. Even his moveset was pretty up to par.

Everything was ruined because he was designed to play like an asshole. Ppl with laggy connections go online and b+2,2 all day because you can't do shit with the lag. His moves crush others with Bob only logic like shoryuken going under deathfist or df+4.
Spam d+1 because it hits always in any situation.

They could've fixed him in FR and make him honest character but what for if that's not the goal?

Yeah, I don't hate Bob because he's fat. I hate him because of his design, doofus personality (who yells speeeeeeed and weeeeight like some idiot?), and his irritating gameplay style.

CSX

Got a Qanba Drone to start learning how to play stick (again)

Keep hitting df when i just want to hit f T___T

why is stick so hard

It makes the game look incredibly boring to play and especially spectate with a character that has buttons as easy & favorable as Bob's.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Well I like Bob's design especially after looking at character like Rufus and the current Birdie. I don't have much trouble playing against Bob and I've played Fab's Bob before a few times and I've never had problems with any of the "spammy" online ones either. He isn't boring to watch for me either besides that one EVO Finals and that was only because I thought Fab had a better chance with Miguel than Bob. I still think that Finals wasn't as bad as everyone says it is and I think the blow back since then is waaay overblown and probably led people to hate the character more than the character itself. T6 was honestly a boring game imo.

So no I don't understand the hate the character gets. I've played against more annoying characters in multiple games so he just doesn't come across as anything special in my book. I honestly don't cry about characters anymore at this stage in my life. If they're in the game they're in the game if I care for the design or not. Hopefully the characters are balanced and that's the only thing I'll complain about and usually with Tekken, they are. Personally I am tired of complaining about Tekken and what it does wrong. I may not like every decision but at least I know I can look forward to something with Tekken. Bob at the end of the day is not gonna hurt this game overall. Akuma has/had more of a chance doing that. Let FR cook and we'll see for ourselves next year.

Doomshine

It's not like there's some overwhelming hate on Twitter either, you can just as easily find people who are happy that he's in the game.

What surprised we was that there seems to be a fair amount that were hoping he would come back as Slim Bob.

It's not like there's some overwhelming hate on Twitter either, you can just as easily find people who are happy that he's in the game.

What surprised we was that there seems to be a fair amount that were hoping he would come back as Slim Bob.

Not surprised lol. It was a good take on why Bob gained the weight.

Yeah I feel the hate is mostly from the competitive crowd anyways.

Rajang

I'm fucking done this this game for a while. Bob spaming is real and is discussing.

1385.gif

AllenShrz

I meant when FR came out but I kinda figured that would be the case further in.

Yes it was, but back then people where still figuring out his play style, it took a month for the average Akuma player to become deadly, and well pretty much anyone abused him, me included.

But now Bob seems more deadly than TT2 and people know how to play him to an A, so there is no "figuring out" period, he's deadly since day one.

Sayah

Well I like Bob's design especially after looking at character like Rufus and the current Birdie. I don't have much trouble playing against Bob and I've played Fab's Bob before a few times and I've never had problems with any of the "spammy" online ones either. He isn't boring to watch for me either besides that one EVO Finals and that was only because I thought Fab had a better chance with Miguel than Bob. I still think that Finals wasn't as bad as everyone says it is and I think the blow back since then is waaay overblown and probably led people to hate the character more than the character itself. T6 was honestly a boring game imo.

So no I don't understand the hate the character gets. I've played against more annoying characters in multiple games so he just doesn't come across as anything special in my book. I honestly don't cry about characters anymore at this stage in my life. If they're in the game they're in the game if I care for the design or not. Hopefully the characters are balanced and that's the only thing I'll complain about and usually with Tekken, they are. Personally I am tired of complaining about Tekken and what it does wrong. I may not like every decision but at least I know I can look forward to something with Tekken. Bob at the end of the day is not gonna hurt this game overall. Akuma has/had more of a chance doing that. Let FR cook and we'll see for ourselves next year.

You're entitled to your opinion but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people do not like this character for very obvious and easy to understand reasons, whether it'd be his design or his obnoxious play style. His strings like b+2,2 (that many Bob players abuse) are very difficult to punish in online settings. Then you have his chop and other attacks that just make this character an all-around nuisance. Similar to Lars, I think Bob wouldn't be as popular as he has been if he had a lower tier ranking.

There's a limited roster and adding characters like Bob is only going to make the game unappealing to some people. I highly doubt any of the other remaining characters would get even close to as much hate as Bob (Lee, Armor King, Kuma, Anna, Lei, etc.).

AZUMIKE

Here we go again with the Bob hate...lol

IMO I like a weighted character like Bob in Tekken. I think he is waaaay cooler than Rufus or Birdie. His Sammo Hung aesthetic is pretty dope. And yes, Bob has many tools/strengths, but so do other characters.

Surprised that didn't come up in the ATP episode.

Didn't that guy accuse RIP of stealing his law strats awhile back?

Lmao

Edit--
Read the article ...

Ouch. Now I get it.

You're entitled to your opinion but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people do not like this character for very obvious and easy to understand reasons, whether it'd be his design or his obnoxious play style. His strings like b+2,2 (that many Bob players abuse) are very difficult to punish in online settings. Then you have his chop and other attacks that just make this character an all-around nuisance. Similar to Lars, I think Bob wouldn't be as popular as he has been if he had a lower tier ranking.

There's a limited roster and adding characters like Bob is only going to make the game unappealing to some people. I highly doubt any of the other remaining characters would get even close to as much hate as Bob (Lee, Armor King, Kuma, Anna, Lei, etc.).

You're never gonna 100% like a roster, get over it.

cordy

Banned
I have no problem with Bob. I don't play him but he's unique, he has a unique fighting style, he sticks out and he's better than most of these characters in originality. You ask someone who's never played beyond T3 who's unique and most will put Bob in their top 5.

I don't. Then again, I only read half of the interview. What does it say?
Pretty sure Real Law put RIP on blast, indirectly, about getting unfair opportunities in the FGC based on location and connections. Seemed salty about that. Always figured the feud there was just for show. Guess not.

Seemed more like Real Bitter to me.

Sayah

You're never gonna 100% like a roster, get over it.

It is completely possible to like 100% of a games roster. Even if not, what does that have to do with the original point of this conversation?

A good chunk of this game's roster has been disappointing, with Chloe likely replacing Capos, Gigas likely replacing Marduk, Josie replacing Bruce, Bob, Lars, and no terminator Alisa. Namco's downturn in character design started with Tekken 6 BR, completely declined with SCV, and deteriorated further with Tekken 7. Pardon me for being annoyed with that. Couple that with the longest wait this franchise has ever had for a console release and the inane customization system, and the game becomes really unappealing despite the many good advances that FR has made.

It is completely possible to like 100% of a games roster. Even if not, what does that have to do with the original point of this conversation?

A good chunk of this game's roster has been disappointing, with Chloe likely replacing Capos, Gigas likely replacing Marduk, Josie replacing Bruce, Bob, Lars, and no terminator Alisa. Namco's downturn in character design started with Tekken 6 BR, completely declined with SCV, and deteriorated further with Tekken 7. Pardon me for being annoyed with that. Couple that with the longest wait this franchise has ever had for a console release and the inane customization system, and the game becomes really unappealing despite the many good advances that FR has made.

Ok breh....sure.......

I'd say DJ has always been Top 10 in every game he's been in. Even in BR at his weakest he was still Top 10 and the best Mishima.

BTW do we consider Regular Jin a Mishima now? I really see no reason he isn't with EWHF launching on NH hit.

AllenShrz

I'd say DJ has always been Top 10 in every game he's been in. Even in BR at his weakest he was still Top 10 and the best Mishima.

BTW do we consider Regular Jin a Mishima now? I really see no reason he isn't with EWHF launching on NH hit.

I would say no, WGF is not a launcher, unlike the other characters. His mix ups from WD are not as strong, specially against Kaz and DJ.

Is much as I like him, Hei, Kaz and DJ are higher tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom