• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

av2k

That's b+2. Whatever b+1 is no one uses it so I doubt it's a game changer It's probably one of those moves that is only used in very specific situations. I know b+1 used to be a high that caused escapable nose bleed stun on CH in BR. Considering we are discussing BR Dragunov to DR Dragunov whatever they changed b+1 to is irrelevant to the conversation anyway.

Actually I just check ina Tekken. I don't see how this move is useful at all TBH. 17 frames, -9 on block only +3 on hit. You said it crushes highs but why would you ever use this move over Dragunov's way better options to avoid highs? It's slow, really negative on block, and not even + enough on hit to avoid getting your d+4 crushed by a generic hopkick. Game changer?

Not really a game changer but Nobi and Naps uses it to a degree though I don't really think it warrants a sarcastic comment if you disagree. I think it's main advantages is that he sways back a little bit before hitting you and leaves you in crouching if I remember correctly. It can also be able to be followed up on if you think it's going to hit for about 25% health. I don't really play much nowadays but when playing casuals against Kor with Drag, it worked pretty decently against poking characters.

Edit: Here's Nobi using b+1,2 against Only Practice within the first five seconds of the first True Tekken God match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25lRopUcAiw

AAK

Had fun in practice mode w/ you Boutdown MKX. Need to find a character first. It's always so exciting discovering so many new things in a fighting game. Unfortunately something we all had to relinquish being fans of Tekken in the West.

You have to build up tolerance. Go watch some K-On! or any other moe-Anime. Or lock yourself in a dark room, put on headphones and play an endless loop of "Pikachu!" until your ears bleed.
By the time Tekken 7 comes out you will not only be able to tolerate her, but you will love the shit out of her so much you will want to cosplay as her :)

image.php

I'll take any anime trope from the above rather than whatever the hell that unspeakable evil you recommended. >:

Best Anime = Avatar TLA

Why can't Japan take positive influences from that?

Not really a game changer but Nobi and Naps uses it to a degree though I don't really think it warrants a sarcastic comment if you disagree. I think it's main advantages is that he sways back a little bit before hitting you and leaves you in crouching if I remember correctly. It can also be able to be followed up on if you think it's going to hit for about 25% health. I don't really play much nowadays but when playing casuals against Kor with Drag, it worked pretty decently against poking characters.

Edit: Here's Nobi using b+1,2 against Only Practice within the first five seconds of the first True Tekken God match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25lRopUcAiw

My argument is not whether the move is useless or not. Every move has a use depending on the situation. It's the preposterous idea that this move is amazing and changes Dragunov's game. If someone says something stupid I'm going to call them out on it. And again you are mixing up b+2 and b+1. b+2 leaves you in crouch.

As far as my thoughts on the usefulness of the move I would ask to anyone using b+12, if you are so confident your opponent is going to do a high just duck and WS+2. It's less punishable than b+12 has has a far higher reward. I main Lars, he has 1+2 which is pretty much the exact same thing as this move except faster and hit confirmable. I never use it outside of a gimmick hit for the same reasons.

Sayah

Had fun in practice mode w/ you Boutdown MKX. Need to find a character first. It's always so exciting discovering so many new things in a fighting game. Unfortunately something we all had to relinquish being fans of Tekken in the West.

lol AAK
Based on the combo video posted on the last page, it seems there will be many more ways to connect hits. Heihachi hellsweeps for instance are usually always a combo ender and seeing them utilized in the beginning was pretty cool (unless you could do that in DR and I don't know).

On MKX, how stiff or fluid is it? If it's anything like Injustice, I might not even get the eventual Komplete edition.

Also, best anime = Death Note.

FMA is good too, though.

Dereck

lol AAK
Based on the combo video posted on the last page, it seems there will be many more ways to connect hits. Heihachi hellsweeps for instance are usually always a combo ender and seeing them utilized in the beginning was pretty cool (unless you could do that in DR and I don't know).

On MKX, how stiff or fluid is it? If it's anything like Injustice, I might not even get the eventual Komplete edition.

FMA is good too, though.
If you're not a fan of Injustice or MK9, then I couldn't recommend the game.

Deps

lol AAK

FMA is good too, though.

MKX feels very similar to MK9/Injustice, it's still very janky. If you can get used to it, the game is really fast and fun. But if you're not used to the jank, it will feel like diarrhea mash-fest. Also, if you're not going to play primarily offline, stay away. Netcode feels worse than T6 to me.

Best anime is Monster or Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Sayah

If you're not a fan of Injustice or MK9, then I couldn't recommend the game.
MKX feels very similar to MK9/Injustice, it's still very janky. If you can get used to it, the game is really fast and fun. But if you're not used to the jank, it will feel like diarrhea mash-fest. Also, if you're not going to play primarily offline, stay away. Netcode feels worse than T6 to me.

Well, I guess that about settles it, lol. I play offline locally with family/a few friends but most of playtime ends up being practice mode/online in most fighting games.

Monster is great too. Very engrossing anime with really well-done story and character-development.

Never seen Legend of the Galatic Heroes.

I also like the following:

Black Lagoon (love the characters and action scenes)
FMA: Brotherhood (first 10 or so episodes are a repeat of the original FMA but gets really good afterward)
Attack on Titan (still in progress but good so far)
Claymore (REALLY well done story and action)
Soul Eater (First few episodes are introductory, then it gets good. Nice action, good comedy)

Mostly, I go after mature, dark, story-oriented anime that are NON-EPISODIC. I can't get into any of the slice of life or "moe" stuff either.

Based on that, if you guys have additional recommendations, that would be good.

I've avoided Ippo and legend of galatic heroes because of themes (boxing and space/science fiction?). But I will watch if you guys are saying they're really good.

?

Golden Week is April 29-May 6 this year.

What is Golden Week?

Mostly, I go after mature, dark, story-oriented anime that are NON-EPISODIC. I can't get into any of the slice of life or "moe" stuff either.

Based on that, if you guys have additional recommendations, that would be good.

I've avoided Ippo and legend of galatic heroes because of themes (boxing and space/science fiction?). But I will watch if you guys are saying they're really good.

Ippo is pretty much the gold standard in shounen sports anime; it's a good watch even if you aren't into that. LoGH is pretty old and long, good but a tough watch if you aren't really into hard sci-fi. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is more accessible/modern and scratches the same itch if you want a taste of that.

As far as other recommendations go, I'll throw these out there:

Recent/Shiny
------------------
Parasyte
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Fate/Zero
Terror In Resonance
Psycho-Pass

Digging In The Crates
------------------------------
Rainbow
Shiki
Kara no Kyoukai
Paranoia Agent (and really anything Satoshi Kon has ever made)
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Wolf's Rain
Now and Then, Here and There
Katanagatari

Officialy A Nerd
---------------------
Shion no Ou
Boogiepop Phantom
Texhnolyze
Kaiba

Spuck-uk

Banned
My argument is not whether the move is useless or not. Every move has a use depending on the situation. It's the preposterous idea that this move is amazing and changes Dragunov's game. If someone says something stupid I'm going to call them out on it. And again you are mixing up b+2 and b+1. b+2 leaves you in crouch.

As far as my thoughts on the usefulness of the move I would ask to anyone using b+12, if you are so confident your opponent is going to do a high just duck and WS+2. It's less punishable than b+12 has has a far higher reward. I main Lars, he has 1+2 which is pretty much the exact same thing as this move except faster and hit confirmable. I never use it outside of a gimmick hit for the same reasons.

Nobody is talking about throwing out raw b+1, 2, that's a terrible idea.

We get it, you don't use the character. Lars is not Dragunov.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Digging In The Crates
Rainbow
Shiki
Kara no Kyoukai
Wolf's Rain
Katanagatari

Officialy A Nerd
---------------------
Shion no Ou
Boogiepop Phantom
Texhnolyze
Kaiba[/QUOTE]

These, yas

sasuke_91

Best Anime = Avatar TLA

Ippo is the best anime.

Guys, you are all wrong. Mars of Destruction is the best anime.
Seriously, go watch it. You can thank me for it later. It's an OVA, just 24 minutes long.

No Code Geass, Mushishi or Clannad After Story? I'm disappointed.
The series you mentioned are really good though. Although I never watched LotGH.

av2k

Anime that I liked in the past(dont watch anymore)

Ergo Proxy
full metal alchemist brotherhood
ippo
cowboy bebop
samurai champloo

Fraeon

A short while ago we decided to have a season of ranbats with some of the better Finnish players. We'll be starting in a bit over an hour (5PM UTC), and just want to give this thing a try.

The address for our stream is: http://www.twitch.tv/biiruken

If you're interested, come see.

DEATH™

I'm off for a couple of days due to cough and flu and you guys talk anime without me? :(

Sayah Ippo is really good. I'll be soooo sure you will pick up Steve at least after you watch the first season.

Also, AAK, ATLA isn't anime. The artstyle might be a bit inpired to that, but the storytelling/formatting itself makes it clear that it is westernen-influenced, like adventure time, gravity falls etc. (Not that its a bad thing)

Also, darn you guys not being into slice of life anime...

Manbig

DEATH™;160234156 said:
I'm off for a couple of days due to cough and flu and you guys talk anime without me? :(

Sayah Ippo is really good. I'll be soooo sure you will pick up Steve at least after you watch the first season.

Also, AAK, ATLA isn't anime. The artstyle might be a bit inpired to that, but the storytelling/formatting itself makes it clear that it is westernen-influenced, like adventure time, gravity falls etc. (Not that its a bad thing)

The problem with slice of life is that once you've seen one of them, you've seen almost all of them. That's a big problem with a lot of the anime tropes actually. Either way, because of that, Azumanga Daioh is the king of that genre for me.

Also, Black Lagoon is the best anime you nerds!

I got bit by the One Piece bug, watched 500 episodes in an unhealthy amount of time, got burned out, and haven't watched anime since. Although, I do have fond memories of One Piece, Sailor Moon, Monster, and Clannad. Oh, speaking of Clannad. I would really like to see a Clannad challenge carried out, asking anyone if they can watch it all the way through and never cry.

Oh, btw...
http://fingerstofight.challonge.com/f2f11
Yeah, still doing Tag 2 online tournaments.

Sayah

I got bit by the One Piece bug, watched 500 episodes in an unhealthy amount of time, got burned out, and haven't watched anime since. Although, I do have fond memories of One Piece, Sailor Moon, Monster, and Clannad. Oh, speaking of Clannad. I would really like to see a Clannad challenge carried out, asking anyone if they can watch it all the way through and never cry.

Oh, btw...

I'll try to be a participant after mid-May.

Ippo is pretty much the gold standard in shounen sports anime; it's a good watch even if you aren't into that. LoGH is pretty old and long, good but a tough watch if you aren't really into hard sci-fi. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is more accessible/modern and scratches the same itch if you want a taste of that.

As far as other recommendations go, I'll throw these out there:

Recent/Shiny
------------------
Parasyte
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Fate/Zero
Terror In Resonance
Psycho-Pass

Digging In The Crates
Rainbow
Shiki
Kara no Kyoukai
Wolf's Rain
Katanagatari

Officialy A Nerd
---------------------
Shion no Ou
Boogiepop Phantom
Texhnolyze
Kaiba

Noice. Bookmarked all this stuff.

I already watched Now and Then, Here and There by the way. It's amazing.

Guys, you are all wrong. Mars of Destruction is the best anime.
Seriously, go watch it. You can thank me for it later. It's an OVA, just 24 minutes long.

No Code Geass, Mushishi or Clannad After Story? I'm disappointed.
The series you mentioned are really good though. Although I never watched LotGH.

Also added. If it ends up sucking, I guess 24 minutes of my time won't be that big of a loss. :p
DEATH™;160234156 said:

Alright, I'll watch Ippo first. After this semester ends first though.

29th April, 3rd/4th/5th May are holidays in Japan. That's 4 holidays in one week, which is why they call it Golden Week.

Ahhhh. Thanks.

This guy knows. I like Planetes as well.

MKX still having shitty netcode in 2015 is unacceptable. Of course they will make big money off this release anyways so things are going to continue as they are. Just depressing.

Sayah

Reviewers don't seem to care so there's no pressure on them to improve it.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't shell out $60 for this game plus another potential $30 for the season pass. But if people that bought it are enjoying it (outside of the netcode obviously), then that's the only thing that matters. I personally couldn't stand Injustice's clunky animations and people's impressions suggest that aspect hasn't changed much. Being an online player and a person that loves agile combat, this game just wouldn't have been a good bet for me.

Fraeon

For our first online tournament I think this worked out pretty well. Hopefully we get some of the kinks worked out when we have another stream 2 weeks from now.

lupinko

I caught MKX's story mode on YouTube and they're still continuing with bad/fake Chinese and Japanese dialog and writing. I don't know if it's intentional to keep for nostalgia reasons or they're that daft but it's all certainly cringeworthy.

That said it's not important, but the point is at least Harada and Bamco put some effort with foreign languages in Tekken.

Dereck

lol, no fighter seems to do everything well, every fighting game on the market lacks in certain areas and shine in others, no one wins.
XsXKin2.png

AAK

Avatar: TLA is pure Shonen anime. The character achetypes, the choreographed fight scenes, the training/powering up, the continuous story arcs rather than episodic things seen in westerns.

MKX still having shitty netcode in 2015 is unacceptable. Of course they will make big money off this release anyways so things are going to continue as they are. Just depressing.

Not defending the shitting netcode... but it does show that the market will reward the developer if they at least try to put a lot of effort in making their game feel new in gameplay and especially presentation.

12+ years ago, the developer mentalities of Tekken and MK were switched and that was when Tekken would comprehensively outsell MK.

DEATH™

The problem with slice of life is that once you've seen one of them, you've seen almost all of them. That's a big problem with a lot of the anime tropes actually. Either way, because of that, Azumanga Daioh is the king of that genre for me.

Also, Black Lagoon is the best anime you nerds!

Not necessarily true. The problem is many great slice of life anime (or even anime in general) are buried/grouped together with other not so good anime. I cannot blame others for that...

I mean, look at Toradora, Danna ga Nani, Non Non Biyori, Barakamon, Usagi Drop, Kimi no Uso, and others. Many of those have presentation of another generic anime, but darn the contents are good...

Also guys, Let's watch Plastic Memories together! The series got mad potential.

Avatar: TLA is pure Shonen anime. The character achetypes, the choreographed fight scenes, the training/powering up, the continuous story arcs rather than episodic things seen in westerns.

Not defending the shitting netcode... but it does show that the market will reward the developer if they at least try to put a lot of effort in making their game feel new in gameplay and especially presentation.

12+ years ago, the developer mentalities of Tekken and MK were switched and that was when Tekken would comprehensively outsell MK.

Sorry bro but not at all... How many arcs does ATLA have? One (Defeat the Firelord). Aside few episodes that matter plot wise, every episode is standalone which you can cut and the plot will still go (you can't defend this especially with The Great Divide). Not that it's bad (because there is alot of character development which makes it awesome), but it's definitely not Shounen style story telling

This guy knows. I like Planetes as well.

Not really. In a marketing sense, if I'm a developer, why would I improve the netcode if that will cause my potential customers to get pissed off when going online and get whooped hard in the process?

The thing is, AAK got a half a cookie when acknowledging that aesthetics matter, but it's not only that. The goal is to entertain people. Aesthetics do that, the story mode do that. The easy mode paytalities do that. The X-Rays do that. You want to make your players feel good. Does making those same people fight over someone in an online match and realize they suck help that goal? Currently, no...

Oh, btw...

Clannad AS? Try watching Anohana...

lol, no fighter seems to do everything well, every fighting game on the market lacks in certain areas and shine in others, no one wins.
XsXKin2.png

Pretty much lol

Oh boy that was scary. Glad to still be here TekkenGAF.

Reviewers don't seem to care so there's no pressure on them to improve it.

I've noticed this for awhile with Fighting Games. No review scores for the game are seriously bumped or subtracted for bad netcode in major review sites. It's very odd.

Shouta

So, just as an FYI, that is indeed ZTS with Professor Grimlock. If anyone has problems with his posting habits please let me know through PM. I've spoken with ZTS in person about it and I'm hoping he remembers that. =P

Sayah

Sayah

Playing MKX just reminds me how good Tekken is. It just feels so limited and none of the characters are really fun to play or learn (so far for me).

Sayah

Playing MKX just reminds me how good Tekken is. It just feels so limited and none of the characters are really fun to play or learn (so far for me).

If I had the game, I would probably be using either Dvorah or Ferra & Torr. They looked the most interesting to me.

Dereck

Yeah, this is really a matter of taste, I only find 1/3 of Tekken Tag 2's roster fun to play, DOA 5's entire roster is fun to play with, same with MKX.

Numb

I have never played a fighting game where I've found the entire roster enjoyable.

I find it the shorter the roster is the more enjoyable every single character gets. Like KI, Skull girls, UNIEL and Yatagarasu where i find a majority of the cast fun.
This means that Tekken will be not as fun to most people with its huge roster.
I do find all of them fun though, exept Nina, Ling and the Taekwondo guys.

Sayah

I find it the shorter the roster is the more enjoyable every single character gets. Like KI, Skull girls, UNIEL and Yatagarasu where i find a majority of the cast fun.
This means that Tekken will be not as fun to most people with its huge roster.
I do find all of them fun though, exept Nina, Ling and the Taekwondo guys.

Even when I played some Skullgirls, I had to fool around with characters to see which one I like most since not all of them were fitting my tastes.

And Nina is really fun once you get her command list down and pass the barriers she has in utilizing her moveset to higher potential. I also like Ling and Hwoarang. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom