• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

I hope the new guy is like Marduk, he's the only character I had some idea of playing in the older games.

I'll try him later this week but I'll take breaks because I'm like cracking out now.

Just gonna add my two cents. I do think Sayah has a point but so do DEATH™ and Manbig.
There has been misplaced complaints but when it comes to the characters so far I don´t think it is unreasonable to be annoyed and to call things out.

LC looks like a Hatsune Miku reject in the worst way and I love that game lol.
Her playstyle saves her at the end of the day though.

Claudio looks kinda weird design wise and belongs in a FF game his moveset is nothing wowing either.
Gigas looks like a straight up Marduk replacement but I am going to wait and see what happens when the full arcade roster is revealed.

But so far things are not looking good we have about 14 left and we still have not seen most of the old roster yet. That SCV like replacement for Bruce made me cringe tbh but will give Josie a chance.

I see both sides in this but the design choices and replacements so far does not make for a flawless game. I just want my Julia I hope she makes it.

CSX

Least used character in Japan is Bro-hachi. Probably cuz Godzuya is so much better lol.

And most used character is King probably cuz everyone just hoping that they play on the temple stage and do that broken floor break juggle :p

AAK

For blubbing about a character that nobody is forcing them to play.

But I am being forced to fight against them and then hence being forced to learn the match-up.

EDIT:

But mind you, I'm not the person that won't play T7 because of her, but I can completely sympathize with people who are in that camp that don't have the attachment to the series the same way I do.

Just caught up with the thread

@Manny: I understand your stance about waiting to play the game before declaring it. But at the same time, you of all people who understand Tekken's logic should be able to see and theorize how Tekken 7's paltry additions can affect the way the game is played. There's also a ton of Korean/Japanese video's to scrutinize as well. And then we even have JDCR on his stream basically saying the exact same thing how it's pretty much the same.

But I suppose I will concede that maybe there can be some hidden untapped depth to the game no one is aware of yet that will change the game up from its predecessors. I just can't see it happening.

AAK

Ask yourself, is that really enough reason to quit the game over?

Really?

For many people, having that kind of stuff in the game no longer makes it the title they once liked. There definitely are people that solely play Tekken for the gameplay, but a ton of people were super passionate about the series just because of the aesthetic design. You take that away from them then yes, they will abandon ship. I never had that opinion previously but I can really see it now.

A good example is GAF's own MoonsaultSlayer. Back in 2006 when I first joined GAF he was one of the premier fans of the series on this forum. He was also a regular at TZ and he was never a competitive person who studied the intricacies of the game mechanics. Come TTT2's release he was constantly venting his displeasure at the aesthetic bankruptcy displayed by Namco. He even bought the game to give it one last shot before he finally posted that he no longer wants to play this series.

rankapril3_proc.jpg

Josie...so popular...way more popular than Bruce ;)

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
For many people, having that kind of stuff in the game no longer makes it the title they once liked. There definitely are people that solely play Tekken for the gameplay, but a ton of people were super passionate about the series just because of the aesthetic design. You take that away from them then yes, they will abandon ship. I never had that opinion previously but I can really see it now.

Slowly getting there... I'm not a fan of where this series is going (or lack of direction). T7 is pushing it for me but I doubt I'll be psyched for T8.
Despite T4's flaws, I LOVED its aesthetic, grounded change. There's a massive tonal shift from the T3-TTT-T4 era to now. Now seems... cartoony? I dunno.

As for the gameplay, there's only so many tiny incremental additions you can make until it becomes tiresome. Tailspin/ Screw Attack is essentially a watered down solo Tag Assault.
I was honestly expecting something on the lines of what TMM said in this video.

P.S. One of Tekken's selling point (to me) was it's authentic depiction of genuine martial arts moves, I loved looking at Jin's Kyokushin Karate in T4, even though I hated Eddie Gordo, his Capoeira animation was fun to look at. Pardon me for generalising but now it seems to be all 'flips and flying into the air'. I know Tekken was never meant to be REALISTIC, but a toning down of the anti-gravity nonsense wouldn't hurt.

Looking at that list make me think that Alisa is a waste of a slot in this game. Claudio for all intensive purposes is a better version of Alisa in pretty much every way. It's probably why no one is playing her. Why play Alisa when you can play Claudio and Claudio is a cooler character. I never really had any feelings on Alisa good or bad and I think that sentiment is shared with a lot of people.

The idea that King and Paul are two of most popular characters though is really interesting and I'm happy about it. It goes to show how timeless, simple, yet appealing those character designs are.

AAK

P.S. One of Tekken's selling point (to me) was it's authentic depiction of genuine martial arts moves, I loved looking at Jin's Kyokushin Karate in T4, even though I hated Eddie Gordo, his Capoeira animation was fun to look at. Pardon me for generalising but now it seems to be all 'flips and flying into the air'. I know Tekken was never meant to be REALISTIC, but a toning down of the anti-gravity nonsense wouldn't hurt.

It's not just you, it's part of what made Tekken 3 one of the biggest games ever released on Playstation.

And man, that TMM video is so appropriate LOL. Especially this part. That is word for word my stance on the game.

Pachimari

Guys, do you have a link to the Josie practice mode video?

I also understand both sides here. As much as I love Josie and is gonna main her, a big part of it is her being Filipino.

If you have no attachment or connection to the Philippines, then I totally understand why one would be concerned or annoyed by the Tekken team replacing such a great character as Bruce Irvin.

IKizzLE

Slowly getting there... I'm not a fan of where this series is going (or lack of direction). T7 is pushing it for me but I doubt I'll be psyched for T8.
Despite T4's flaws, I LOVED its aesthetic, grounded change. There's a massive tonal shift from the T3-TTT-T4 era to now. Now seems... cartoony? I dunno.

As for the gameplay, there's only so many tiny incremental additions you can make until it becomes tiresome. Tailspin/ Screw Attack is essentially a watered down solo Tag Assault.
I was honestly expecting something on the lines of what TMM said in this video.

Yup, not going to lie, I am not a fan of any of the new characters but I saw this anime style branding and creative bankruptcy coming for a few years now. When you go from adding characters like Steve who has boxing and Dragunov who uses Sambo, to characters like bob, lars, alisa and now this cast of characters that have special powers and hop scotch routines, you start to lose people such as myself who loved the tekken series for its authentic fighting style mixed with the grandiose.

The animals and robots had unique fighting styles, but outside of mishimas, the rest of the characters all had styles loosely based on real world martial arts. Personally, branding and character image is important to me, especially when there are going to be no meaningful gameplay changes (if you knew how to play t5, youll be a pro in t7 in no time).

I personally understand a lot of the complaints in this forum and have no desire to pick up T7 day one, which will be a first for me in the tekken series. T7 doesn't fill me with any sense of excitement or newness. Just a whole bunch of "meh", which should not be the case for a new numbered entry on such a prestigious franchise. Sure the gameplay will be solid *shrugs*

Terrible news.
People are stealing stuff in the FGC now and it aint good.

Now? Try always. I've learned the hard way a few times to watch your shit at FGC events. I don't think this has to do with the FGC though. This just seems to be an unfortunate isolated incident. People are scumbags man. It's best to always be safe before you are sorry. I hope Mark gets his stuff back but I have a feel in his chances are slim to none.

Numb

Now? Try always. I've learned the hard way a few times to watch your shit at FGC events. I don't think this has to do with the FGC though. This just seems to be an unfortunate isolated incident. People are scumbags man. It's best to always be safe before you are sorry. I hope Mark gets his stuff back but I have a feel in his chances are slim to none.

I was referring more to stealing equipment from the organizers and the pillars of the community who bring things together. People will steal stuff if given the chance. But the guys who steal from the likes of Markman and Spooky at a FGC event are the very worst.
I thought they would atleast know better and try not be dicks for one day or weekend.

I was referring more to stealing equipment from the organizers and the pillars of the community who bring things together. People will steal stuff if given the chance. But the guys who steal from the likes of Markman and Spooky at a FGC event are the very worst.
I thought they would atleast know better and try not be dicks for one day or weekend.

Yeah it's always happened. People don't give a fuck who you are, they are just looking for a come up.

Numb

Yeah it's always happened. People don't give a fuck who you are, they are just looking for a come up.

Type of people that should be banned from all events if found out.
You got to be a real dick to steal what people have paid money for to share their passion with other as passionate people who are online but can't make it.

Degen

Thieves are scum

Looking at that list make me think that Alisa is a waste of a slot in this game. Claudio for all intensive purposes is a better version of Alisa in pretty much every way. It's probably why no one is playing her. Why play Alisa when you can play Claudio and Claudio is a cooler character. I never really had any feelings on Alisa good or bad and I think that sentiment is shared with a lot of people.

The idea that King and Paul are two of most popular characters though is really interesting and I'm happy about it. It goes to show how timeless, simple, yet appealing those character designs are.
so, does Heihachi look unnecessary because the other Mishimas are more popular right now?
yes

Seeing Alisa/Xiaoyu near the bottom and the #jaguar at the top make me feel like there is hope for this world

you're alright, Japan

Pachimari

That Gigas guy is growing on me, just like most of the newcomers have. I really appreciate that we have gotten so many new characters this time around. And I think Kazumi is gonna be the last.

I would be surprised to see any more new characters.

Also, Gigas unlocks today, yay.

AAK

Man, MarkMan is a real Hero... he took responsibility for such a piece of software that costs millions to make. And even after all this nonsense happened, he's still trying to find a way to deliver it to other events.

I'm sorry this happened to you man yet you're always trooping forward. You deserve better. Hope your flight home is more safe and you are in good soothing company now.

And in other news... T7 customs gonna T7 custom.

I'm OK with Gigas right overall. At least he's actually trying to fight unlike that other new T7 character. I can live with it despite losing a legitimate martial art like Vale Tudo.... but that is if I can live with it until other people prevent me form doing so.

AAK

Urien is a charge character and has projectiles... there is no character in Tekken that has a charge motion. I don't understand how anything can be like Urien.

And I'm just comparing the lips:

ibgm0D3MUp8VX2.jpg

Maybe it isn't Marduk like I originally presumed...

AAK

WTF am I reading this right....

A momentum mechanic.... is Tekken 7 actually doing something new! Allah Akbar!

Numb

I knew Gigas was gonna be crazy. Didn't know he would bring some new stuff to Tekken on the table tho.
Can't wait to see some high level gameplay of him.

DEATH™

Jack is a character that destroys things and he has a ton of throws.

I won't put Jack on that category... Jack has a brain, he can learn piledrivers, backbreakers and the likes.

This gigas guy is just pure muscle.

And thanks that he wasn't a Marduk clone... I was about to put the most cruelest joke ever...

I was about to change Manny's avatar with Gigas on the front and keep the Marduk pics on the back

Numb

Looks like the type of guy you airdrop on an area and he wrecks everyhing then remotely deactive him.
I like this guy. Just hope you can customize him to look less like an escaped experiment.

lupinko

Sweet I got bonus lotto ticket gifts on tekken net, I don't know what the Silver lotto ticket entails tho.

I got:

Assault rifle
Round glasses
Axe
Baseball bat
Lars robe
Feng pants

AAK

DEATH™;161876020 said:
I won't put Jack on that category... Jack has a brain, he can learn piledrivers, backbreakers and the likes.

This gigas guy is just pure muscle.

And thanks that he wasn't a Marduk clone... I was about to put the most cruelest joke ever...

Well, then why not have grabs that involve him smashing the other character in various ways. Or at least have crouch and lying on the floor grab.

Besides, I never was the biggest fan of moves like AKing's suplex, Jack's Piledriver, or Marduk's Jackhammer. There's no reason for the adversary to participate in the wrestling throws by keeping their bodies upright. That doesn't belong in Tekken. Make the throws more visceral that the adversary has no way to break out. A good example is Jax's X-Ray in MKX, one of the most satisfying to behold.
But MKX definitely has its fair share of grabs and throw transitions where the opponent just lets their faces get pummeled.
One reason why I loved the reanimated Tombstone of King in Tekken 5 since it's animated in a way that doesn't need the adversary to be a part of the choreography.

Numb

Seeing wrestling grabs/moves outside of wrestling in movies/shows/anime is one of my fav things ever. If Ironman Suplexed Ultron i would have given that movie an extra point. Good thing there is a Tekken grab in there that earned that point tho.
Hulkbuster does Jack's U/F+1+2 grab where he holds you and his fist comes at you on Hulk.
I was impressed to say the least when i saw that.

lupinko

Trying to develop this hair for Kat:

TYgw2CN.png

Lars
VcGP3YR.png

Feng
j9cTS34.png

Are those new or from 6BR/TTT2U?

And kinda lame I get customs for characters I don't use. Although I did think about trying out Lars. But I really don't like Revolution after playing 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom