• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Played tons of hours of Zelda - Wii U on a B6. No permanent burn, image retention has always been temporary. I get more retention from the bright "controller disconnect" screen than anything else.

It's a shame that the hearts aren't transparent because other HUD elements are.

spwolf

Neat German comparison review of X900E and Philips OLED (2016 LG panel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7H0y241ehc

Too bad the Philips is a lag monster. And @ 5:00, that aggressive ABL(?) under HDR... Barf.

with these German reviews, people that dont know German can use google translate to translate comments, since authors actually do respond to comments and you can find out things like both XE90 and XE93 being their #1 picks for LCD right now on the market, and superior to similar Sony and Samsung models from last year.

It is interesting that both Samsung and LG wont send them review units until late April, which is generally pretty later considering when they are coming to market.

BumRush

I sometimes wish I had your patience lol

My 2010 Panasonic Plasma still gets a ton of compliments for PQ, so I'm in no rush. We just bought a new house so we wanted to handle all of the essentials (e.g. bed, tables, chairs) first. Next year I'll get an OLED.

Anyone have any experience with the LeMall LeEco Super x4's? I want to get a 43' for my desk but not sure I want to pay $649 for a 2016 Sony X800d.

Yukstin

I plan on playing Zelda but haven't yet.

Shouldn't the built in LG cleanup for IR quell any concerns?.. From what I read there's no permanent burn in.

(Here I go with me stating what I've "read" but haven't actually experienced.. I'm such a hypocrite lol.. once I actually play Zelda on my B6 I'll bring it up again if it's still a concern of yours!)

Comp cycle runs every time you turn the TV off. Also if you think you're seeing IR you can run a manual cylce through the TV menu. I haven't experienced any IR issues in my six months of ownership and that's with a variety sports/games.

Wiped89

So my new LG C6 OLED arrived today! I had some time to play with it this morning before work. It's to replace my (still very good) 2014 Samsung HU85000 Curved 3D/4K (non HDR) LED.

Beware before reading further, though. I'm a bit of a contrarian to most views on TV settings, so you may be horrified.

First impressions:

-The out-of-the-box picture quality is atrocious, as are all the pre-sets. But after some tweaking, it's very nice I switched into Vivid and then messed around with the picture. I set contrast to 100 and colour to 90, then I found that high brightness made the image wash out so badly, so I dropped brightness right down to about 35. I set OLED brightness (is this sort of the equivalent of backlight?) to 100 and sharpness up to about 55 (I like a crisp picture). With these settings I got a pretty bright, crisp, high-contrast picture with deep blacks and striking colours. I feel like it may need some more tweaking but I'm happy with that as a starting point, and I've applied it across all inputs now. I'll need to spend some more time with it before I make up my mind on it completely.

-It's true what they say about the overall brightness of the picture, it's not as bright as the Samsung it's replacing, which is a bit disappointing as I love a super bright, super crisp image. Some bright, open, nature scenes in Uncharted 4 looked a bit more bright on the Samsung. Having said that, the dark areas obviously look much blacker and richer, as you'd expect.

-The gaming lag is MUCH better than my old Samsung. That TV rocked about 130ms of lag in non-game mode, and about 60-70ms in game mode (which also severely degraded the graphical quality). For this TV, it feels closer to 30, based on the lag test in Amplitude. A vast improvement. I can actually hit people in Uncharted again!

-The blacks really are lovely. Much deeper and pin sharp, and they stay where they're supposed to. White text on a black background is utter white on pure black, whereas on my old TV there would always be a halo of lighter grey around on-screen text. Light would also bleed into the black bars on the Samsung and it would struggle to deal with dark scenes - this, along with the lag, was the key thing I wanted to fix by going OLED and I'm glad to see this aspect is flawless.

-Having only three HDMIs is going to be a massive pain. On the Samsung I had a One Connect Box with four HDMIs, that made it so easy to swap them too. Grappling with the HDMIs on the side of this TV is going to become a daily chore...

-The curve is great. Very subtle, more so than the old Samsung If you're worried about it, don't be

-Bluray quality is excellent Even at 1080p. The OLED provides a richness in colour and contrast that my old LCD can't match, even if it's not quite as bright. One thing I will say though, I needed the MPEG noise reduction on, as it cleaned up a lot of fuzz on the image.

-The UI seems a bit fussier/more overbearing than my old Samsung. I don't need a notification when devices turn on. But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Haven't tried 3D yet! HDR enabled itself briefly while I was on Uncharted 4 but I didn't notice any difference. But that was literally 30 seconds, so I'm sure I'll delve a little deeper into that tonight.

Anyone want to know anything?

Lima

I want to know why you buy such an expensive TV and then use the torch mode meant for stores. Like honestly should have bought some cheap Vizio if that's your thing.

Also sharpness 55. You don't like a sharp picture, you like an artificially oversharpenend picture with ringing.

BumRush

I want to know why you buy such an expensive TV and then use the torch mode meant for stores. Like honestly should have bought some cheap Vizio if that's your thing.

Also sharpness 55. You don't like a sharp picture, you like an artificially oversharpenend picture with ringing.

He pointed out that he recognizes his views / likes are different than most. No need to give him a hard time. His money and his eyeballs.

rou021

Unfortunately my German is rusty, and the closed-captions aren't great.
Basically what you're saying here is that, if you're already used to bad motion handling, OLED won't be any worse.
Which I think is a bad situation to be in when OLEDs have the potential for really great motion handling due to their response times.
And not everyone is coming from a display which has bad motion handling.

Even plasma TVs are far behind CRTs or LCDs with backlight scanning.
I don't agree with adjusting to it quickly though, unless you were already used to poor motion handling.

Plasmas have worse judder than LCDs or OLEDs due to the way they refresh the image, and the fact that they lack good motion interpolation options.
24 FPS material at 48/72/96Hz on a low-persistence display looks terrible, and technically the plasmas are refreshing at an even higher rate than that due to the way they use subfields.
I disagree. In my experience, 24p material looks best on a low-persistance display. No other display has topped a CRT showing 24p at 72Hz (or higher) for smoothness and clarity (to my eyes). Just because it's a <60p framerate doesn't mean the rules of good motion handling don't apply. Further, projected film is technically a low-persistence format as well. The motion resolution should be nearly perfect on projected film (better than CRT).

The only issue that a high quality, low-persistence display should have with a 24p source is revealing the limitations of the format. 24fps is a fairly low framerate that doesn't lend itself well to fast motion, which often leads to a natural motion blur. This is a large reason why some filmmakers have experimented with shooting at higher framerates like 48fps. A proper low-persistence display can at least make the best of 24p since it doesn't add any additional blurring or other artifacts.

Something else to also note is that certain plasmas, namely the later model Panasonics, seem to handle 24p and 60p material a bit differently. When displayed at both 48Hz and 96Hz, 24p content still displays those characteristic phosphor trails. This results in a slight loss of motion resolution at higher speeds and some occasional flicker/jitter on high contrast edges (though I should note this was dramatically improved on the VT60 over pervious models). 60p, however, was smooth as butter. It had miniscule phospher trails compared to the 24p modes and barely suffered any resolution loss on test patterns. It wasn't 100% perfect, but so far, it's the closest I've seen any display come to CRT motion. This isn't to say a strobed/BFI LCD can't do a comparable job, but plasma is certainly no slouch in regards to motion resolution.

Wiped89

Would have spent the money on some new eyes.

No need for personal attacks...

Yes, I like it very bright and crisp. I tried sharpness lower (like 20-30) but it made the picture too soft for my liking. I know my tastes differ to many audio/visual fans.

Edit: Also, I have yet to see any 'ringing' on the picture. Putting sharpness up beyond that (60-100) looks bad and artificial, but I found 55 my sweet spot.

ShapeGSX

I disagree. In my experience, 24p material looks best on a low-persistance display. No other display has topped a CRT showing 24p at 72Hz (or higher) for smoothness and clarity (to my eyes). Just because it's a <60p framerate doesn't mean the rules of good motion handling don't apply. Further, projected film is technically a low-persistence format as well. The motion resolution should be nearly perfect on projected film (better than CRT).

Projected film is 24fps, but they blank the screen 2 or 3 times for each frame of film (48 or 72Hz) to help combat motion blur. Technically they could choose how long they want each frame to persist on screen by changing the size of the cut outs on the wheel that interrupts the projector's light. That is what determines the image's persistence. But the longer those black portions are, the dimmer the picture appears.

vpance

Would have spent the money on some new eyes.

Harsh, but I have to agree. If you're buying OLED but trying to make it as bright as an LCD then that seems counterintuitive to experiencing the benefits of OLED since the picture will be worse off afterwards.

with these German reviews, people that dont know German can use google translate to translate comments, since authors actually do respond to comments and you can find out things like both XE90 and XE93 being their #1 picks for LCD right now on the market, and superior to similar Sony and Samsung models from last year.

It is interesting that both Samsung and LG wont send them review units until late April, which is generally pretty later considering when they are coming to market.

Yeah, I was google translating those comments earlier. Some good impressions there from the author.

Paragon

Motion resolution is nearly perfect but repeating frames on a low-persistence display results in terrible judder.

Here is 96/72/48/24Hz on a CRT:
24fpskxo1o.jpg

24 FPS at 24Hz on a CRT is amazingly smooth and clear, but it flickers really badly.
The next best thing is a modern TV that combines interpolation with low-persistence strobing.
That gets you the same smoothness without the severe flickering. You end up with interpolation artifacts instead though, which varies in severity depending on your display.
That's why I wish sites like RTINGS would actually try to compare how different screens handle interpolation.

Something else to also note is that certain plasmas, namely the later model Panasonics, seem to handle 24p and 60p material a bit differently. When displayed at both 48Hz and 96Hz, 24p content still displays those characteristic phosphor trails. This results in a slight loss of motion resolution at higher speeds and some occasional flicker/jitter on high contrast edges (though I should note this was dramatically improved on the VT60 over pervious models). 60p, however, was smooth as butter. It had miniscule phospher trails compared to the 24p modes and barely suffered any resolution loss on test patterns. It wasn't 100% perfect, but so far, it's the closest I've seen any display come to CRT motion. This isn't to say a strobed/BFI LCD can't do a comparable job, but plasma is certainly no slouch in regards to motion resolution.
The issue with plasmas, aside from refreshing at a multiple of the framerate and not equal to the framerate, is that they create each frame out of sub-frames.
So a 60Hz plasma is not really refreshing at 60Hz, it might use 10 sub-frames and be refreshing at 600Hz to display 60 frames per second. (hence the 600Hz+ marketing)

CRT response time for a single refresh:
crtphosphorresponse-j86ump.png

The CRT updates the screen once per refresh, and peak brightness is reached in <100 microseconds.
By 0.5ms blue/green have basically transitioned to black, and red should get there in about 1ms. So response time is very fast, and persistence is very low.

Plasma response time showing alternating white/black frames. (2.5 frames shown)
pdpphosphorresponsealnvum0.png

You can see that this plasma uses 10 sub-frames for each full frame, and that the red/green phosphors respond at a much slower rate than blue.
Red/green takes almost a full frame (16.67ms) to decay to zero.

Since the red/green/blue phosphors all respond differently, it means that moving your eyes to track an object moving across the screen can result in it breaking up into several colored images or you will see flashes of color.
Most commonly, you see a blue image on the leading edge, and a greenish yellow on the trailing edge of something moving across a plasma TV.

Here's an example from a VT60, with the camera moving to simulate the eye tracking an object moving across the screen:
Static:
vt60static4eu58.jpg

Moving:
vt60motionb4ujj.jpg

It's similar to the picture break-up that can be seen with DLP displays; though not quite as bad since r/g/b are displayed simultaneously, while a DLP displays r/g/b images sequentially.

Projected film is 24fps, but they blank the screen 2 or 3 times for each frame of film (48 or 72Hz) to help combat motion blur. Technically they could choose how long they want each frame to persist on screen by changing the size of the cut outs on the wheel that interrupts the projector's light. That is what determines the image's persistence. But the longer those black portions are, the dimmer the picture appears.
It's to combat flicker more than motion blur.
Unfortunately it has the same effect as the CRT image above.
They don't have to call them 'flicks' any more now that they're refreshing at 48/72Hz now though.

Wiped89

Harsh, but I have to agree. If you're buying OLED but trying to make it as bright as an LCD then that seems counterintuitive to experiencing the benefits of OLED since the picture will be worse off afterwards.

Yeah, I was google translating those comments earlier. Some good impressions there from the author.

To be fair I'm not trying to make it as bright as an LCD. In fact I knocked the brightness right down to 35 out of 100 because it washed out the picture. I merely noted that the picture isn't naturally as bright as an LCD.

What I DO want is striking colours and sharp edges on my picture, which is why I put the sharpness up to 35 (out of 100, still not that high) because that's just how I like it, crisp not soft. And the OLED packs deep blacks and good contrast on top of that, which is great.

EDIT: Okay so I'm home now and just double checked. Turns out my sharpness is actually set at 35.

I've also knocked the colour down a touch to 82.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I honestly thought that was a joke post. o_O
Sorry man! No questions though.

EDIT: dropping Brightness to 35, because it's "washed out" otherwise.... ::wipes sweat off brow::

holygeesus

Banned
To be fair I'm not trying to make it as bright as an LCD. In fact I knocked the brightness right down to 35 out of 100 because it washed out the picture. I merely noted that the picture isn't naturally as bright as an LCD.

You shouldn't really have been surprised by this. OLEDs will never be as bright as LCDs. They are better suited to darker rooms, or preferably pitch-black ones. Mine is fine in daylight, for casual viewing, but it takes a lot more OLED light, hence why there are two ISF modes, which are really what you should be working from.

Wiped89

At 35 you are crushing them blacks like there is no tomorrow. I hope you play on Xbox for dat extra pop.

What brightness setting do you recommend?

I did try dropping lower, but I lost detail in the shades of black and grey; everything became a bit too dark. I haven't noticed any black crushing on my brief tests with In Bruges 1080p Bluray, Uncharted 4 PS4 Pro at 4K and Planet Earth II at 1080i on Humax DVR. But I have only been playing with it for about 90 minutes.

Edit: I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest on this. Just wanted to post some impressions. I did warn that some people might not like the way I set up my TV...

I will try to post some pictures when I get home tonight.

Lima

Dude you are a lost cause. If that looks floats your boat then full steam ahead though.

It's just a crime what you do with that TV.

Wiped89

Dude you are a lost cause. If that looks floats your boat then full steam ahead though.

It's just a crime what you do with that TV.

It does float my boat, sorry.

When I first got that Samsung, I remember reading posts telling me to set the backlight down to 5 out of 20, and put it in movie mode, etc, etc. It just looks so dishwater dull to me like that, I can't abide it at all.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I thought Soldier had had some bad settings, but he's near reference-level PQ compared to your settings.
I don't think I've seen anyone come close to what you've described.

Not trying to be mean, they're just way out there.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Can someone knowledgeable comment on this?

I have a Sony X850D. Not their highest spec TV by any means but it isn't cheap, so it's still "premium".

It touts the whole 4K HDR but more and more I've been running into the same problem with HDR - image dimming.

I can't see shit in dark images.

I went looking for answers and found this website called UHD Alliance (a consumer reports type of thing) that has a seal or a standard they rate TV's with, and that's based on black levels and peak brightness which both have units of measure and are curcial for HDR performance (which made sense to me, as HDR = light/dark detail).

Long story short, my shit don't measure up. It doesn't go as dark, nor does it get as bright as it needs to to show that wowing HDR image everyone's gushing about.

I done fucked up, didn't I ?

Should've gotten a 930D? Or not a Sony at all?

Is this fixable?

Wiped89

I thought Soldier had had some bad settings, but he's near reference-level PQ compared to your settings.
I don't think I've seen anyone come close to what you've described.

Not trying to be mean, they're just way out there.

This seems mad to me, because when I set it up as I describe, the picture looks great to me.

I'll try to upload some photos when I get home to show what I mean. But everyone who ever watched my Samsung TV used to compliment the picture, to the point where several family and friends ended up buying Samsungs when they replaced their TVs, so I can't be a total nutcase!

Weevilone

But everyone who ever watched my Samsung TV used to compliment the picture, to the point where several family and friends ended up buying Samsungs when they replaced their TVs, so I can't be a total nutcase!

Or just a whole nest of them maybe?

I had a family member that used to use wacky settings like that, and more than anything it was just bias by what he was used to. After you view something for a while that just becomes your normal. I mean people didn't even remotely look like people with his settings, so it just seemed crazy to me. We all know what people are supposed to look like, and it's not sunburned or fake tanned everywhere.

But like others said, to each his own. I always wanted to fix it for him, but I knew he wouldn't stick with it long enough to acclimate.

Madness

Lol, the D65 reference war against Vivid/Dynamic continues. Been reading these for 10+ years. Calibrate your sets to your liking. Not everyone likes everything the same. I have my KS8000 calibrated to d65 as much as possible. But my X800D is different.

I have a Sony X850D. Not their highest spec TV by any means but it isn't cheap, so it's still "premium".

It touts the whole 4K HDR but more and more I've been running into the same problem with HDR - image dimming.

I went looking for answers and found this website called UHD Alliance (a consumer reports type of thing) that has a seal or a standard they rate TV's with, and that's based on black levels and peak brightness which both have units of measure and are curcial for HDR performance (which made sense to me, as HDR = light/dark detail).

Long story short, my shit don't measure up. It doesn't go as dark, nor does it get as bright as it needs to to show that wowing HDR image everyone's gushing about.

Is this fixable?

The issue can only be solved by Sony or a calibration. Sony can open the dark end of the grey scale(10-20%) or a pro calibration to compensate for the flaw from the settings in the service menu.

If you find black looks greyish, change gamma to 2.4, you should get a contrast boost as well.

Based_legend24

Neo Member
No need for personal attacks...

Yes, I like it very bright and crisp. I tried sharpness lower (like 20-30) but it made the picture too soft for my liking. I know my tastes differ to many audio/visual fans.

Edit: Also, I have yet to see any 'ringing' on the picture. Putting sharpness up beyond that (60-100) looks bad and artificial, but I found 55 my sweet spot.
Just get it calibrated

Yawnny

Just get it calibrated

By the sounds of it a pro calibration will not be to his liking. Like others have said, if you enjoy it, that's the most important part.

With calibration remember to leave it like that for a full three or so days at least.. so you can get used to it.. otherwise one will always go back to what they've perceived as better originally.

rou021

Yep, hence the term "projected film". When I first saw one of those inside a projector, I actually thought it was just a fan for cooling.

Motion resolution is nearly perfect but repeating frames on a low-persistence display results in terrible judder.

Here is 96/72/48/24Hz on a CRT:
24fpskxo1o.jpg

24 FPS at 24Hz on a CRT is amazingly smooth and clear, but it flickers really badly.
The next best thing is a modern TV that combines interpolation with low-persistence strobing.
That gets you the same smoothness without the severe flickering. You end up with interpolation artifacts instead though, which varies in severity depending on your display.
That's why I wish sites like RTINGS would actually try to compare how different screens handle interpolation.

Yes, I never denied that there was judder for 24p, but that's technically supposed to be there as it's inherent with the source. With that low of a framerate, you're just going to be missing information between frames. Frame doubling, tripling, or quadruple the signal should, however, result in still smooth motion most of the time. This is at lower speeds of motion, of course, but you at least won't lose resolution. This is most obvious with long camera pans in movies. They're slower more often than not, so loss of resolution has a tendency to be more noticeable than judder in these instances.

I think we're arguing about two different things here. You're argument isn't so much against 24p on a low-persistence display, but instead against the inherent limitations of 24fps material. I can respect that argument as it's all fairly subjective anyway. High-persistence displays at least mask that with blur (at the expense of resolution). Given the choice of a good low- or high-persistence display for 24p, however, I personally would choose low-persistence. I prefer it because I like the clarity, am not bothered by the judder, and want something that's more accurate to the source.

Motion interpolation isn't a terrible compromise on paper, but I've yet to see it implemented without artifacts. They often stick out like a sore thumb to me when I'm watching something with it enabled. Artifacts are kind of a given anyway since the processing has to guess what's in the next frame on the fly. I also don't care for the soap opera effect either (and I'm certainly not alone here), but that can usually be reduced at least. I just prefer mucking with the source as little as possible. Interpolation shouldn't be necessary, however, to get decent motion on low-persistence displays.

The issue with plasmas, aside from refreshing at a multiple of the framerate and not equal to the framerate, is that they create each frame out of sub-frames.
So a 60Hz plasma is not really refreshing at 60Hz, it might use 10 sub-frames and be refreshing at 600Hz to display 60 frames per second. (hence the 600Hz+ marketing)

Since the red/green/blue phosphors all respond differently, it means that moving your eyes to track an object moving across the screen can result in it breaking up into several colored images or you will see flashes of color.
Most commonly, you see a blue image on the leading edge, and a greenish yellow on the trailing edge of something moving across a plasma TV.

Here's an example from a VT60, with the camera moving to simulate the eye tracking an object moving across the screen:

It's similar to the picture break-up that can be seen with DLP displays; though not quite as bad since r/g/b are displayed simultaneously, while a DLP displays r/g/b images sequentially.

It's to combat flicker more than motion blur.
Unfortunately it has the same effect as the CRT image above.
They don't have to call them 'flicks' any more now that they're refreshing at 48/72Hz now though.
Yes, I know how plasma displays work. I never denied the trails were there or even noticeable. My argument was that most of those flaws aren't as perceptible with a 60p signal. The picture you posted, for example, doesn't reflect what it looks like at low or medium speed motion--only at a high one. Not to mention some content masks this better than others. Thus, my point was that in typical situations, motion on a plasma can still look very good (particularly in comparison to the average LCD). Further, while its motion is not quite as good as CRT or comparable tech (as I had also mentioned), it's still relatively decent. Maybe I misread your earlier post, but I got the impression you didn't think very highly of plasma in this regard.

Nonetheless, I'm curious where you got the images. Would you mind sharing the link? Seems like there's probably an interesting article attached to them.

Wiped89

Let the man set up his TV as he likes. lol
I guarantee the majority of people don't even go into the menus after purchasing their TV.

Thank you my friend.

Update: I've just got home and double checked. Turns out my sharpness is set to 35, not 55. Otherwise it is as described though.

Paragon

Yes, I never denied that there was judder for 24p, but that's technically supposed to be there as it's inherent with the source.
It's not supposed to be there though.
If you view a 24 FPS source at 24Hz on a CRT or other low-persistence display, motion is perfectly fluid.
It's only once you start repeating frames or viewing it on a high-persistence display that it is no longer smooth.

With that low of a framerate, you're just going to be missing information between frames. Frame doubling, tripling, or quadruple the signal should, however, result in still smooth motion most of the time. This is at lower speeds of motion, of course, but you at least won't lose resolution. This is most obvious with long camera pans in movies. They're slower more often than not, so loss of resolution has a tendency to be more noticeable than judder in these instances.
I've posted it here before, but this image should demonstrate how reducing persistence improves motion smoothness - so long as frames are not being repeated.

Caution: low framerate flashing images:
Both circles here are moving back and forth at 10 FPS.
The upper circle has full persistence and is displayed the entire time.
The lower circle has low persistence and is displayed for 1/6 the time.
If you cover up each half, you should see that the lower circle appears to be moving much more smoothly than the upper circle.

The same thing happens with 24 FPS motion displayed at 24Hz on a CRT. It looks as smooth as if you turned up the interpolation to its smoothest setting on a modern TV.
There are no artifacts though, because it's not using interpolation. There is, however, an awful lot of flickering.
As soon as you start repeating frames, it no longer looks smooth. Even going to 48Hz means that it starts to judder like you see on any recent TV with interpolation disabled.
48Hz on a low-persistence display arguably looks worse than a high-persistence display since you get very clear and distinct double-images instead of motion blur.

I think we're arguing about two different things here. You're argument isn't so much against 24p on a low-persistence display, but instead against the inherent limitations of 24fps material. I can respect that argument as it's all fairly subjective anyway. High-persistence displays at least mask that with blur (at the expense of resolution). Given the choice of a good low- or high-persistence display for 24p, however, I personally would choose low-persistence. I prefer it because I like the clarity, am not bothered by the judder, and want something that's more accurate to the source.
I agree that 24 FPS is an inherently limited format, but it's made worse by the way that modern displays present it.
I don't know that I would agree with repeated frames being "more accurate to the source".
It's true that the frames being displayed on your television have less processing applied to them, which is closer to the data being sent to the TV.
However when you use motion interpolation to smooth things out, that is closer to the smoothness that 24 FPS sources were originally supposed to have - though it does add unintended artifacts.

So the question is really about whether you believe that leaving the data untouched is being more faithful to the source, or preserving the original look of motion is more faithful to the source.
Both have serious drawbacks caused by the low framerate.
Ideally the framerate would be high enough that interpolation is no longer necessary. (120 FPS or higher)

Motion interpolation isn't a terrible compromise on paper, but I've yet to see it implemented without artifacts. They often stick out like a sore thumb to me when I'm watching something with it enabled. Artifacts are kind of a given anyway since the processing has to guess what's in the next frame on the fly. I also don't care for the soap opera effect either (and I'm certainly not alone here), but that can usually be reduced at least. I just prefer mucking with the source as little as possible. Interpolation shouldn't be necessary, however, to get decent motion on low-persistence displays.
"Soap opera effect" is just a disparaging term that 'purists' use because they have been conditioned to prefer bad motion.
These people just don't like smooth motion and are the sort that would argue against 60 FPS gaming too. (or worse, 120-240 FPS on PC)

Once OLEDs have native 120Hz input support, it should hopefully be possible to demonstrate what perfect 24Hz motion looks like again as you will be able to encode (or play back) a video using black frame insertion to reduce the effective displayed refresh rate to 24Hz - assuming the response time can keep up.
Perhaps that will convince them that the result you get from interpolation is how smooth 24 FPS material was originally intended to look before displays started repeating frames or using high-persistence.
It won't be CRT-like, but you could reduce persistence to ~8ms which would hopefully be low enough.

I do agree that interpolation artifacts can be distracting but I'm not sure that they're worse than the severe judder you get without interpolation.
Yes, I know how plasma displays work. I never denied the trails were there or even noticeable. My argument was that most of those flaws aren't as perceptible with a 60p signal. The picture you posted, for example, doesn't reflect what it looks like at low or medium speed motion--only at a high one. Not to mention some content masks this better than others. Thus, my point was that in typical situations, motion on a plasma can still look very good (particularly in comparison to the average LCD). Further, while its motion is not quite as good as CRT or comparable tech (as I had also mentioned), it's still relatively decent. Maybe I misread your earlier post, but I got the impression you didn't think very highly of plasma in this regard.
Well my point is that you don't really get a 60Hz image with a Plasma TV.
It depends on the model, but with the example used above, you get a low-persistence 600Hz presentation of a 60 FPS source - which brings about the same problems as the CRT displaying 24 FPS at 48/72/96Hz.
It's just that, as you reach higher and higher refresh rates, the more those duplicated frames start to look like motion blur because the difference in position between them gets smaller.

It's the same thing with LCDs that use high frequency PWM backlighting.
You won't find many people defending LCDs which use PWM-controlled backlights, but the motion artifacts from that are similar to a Plasma TV.
These examples would be 300Hz PWM (5 repeats at 60Hz):

Nonetheless, I'm curious where you got the images. Would you mind sharing the link? Seems like there's probably an interesting article attached to them.
Sorry, I saved them to my PC years ago and I don't have a link to the original article.

Yawnny

Hooked up the B6 after work. My initial
Impression was "Holy shit this looks good" as I just sat there and grinned at GTA5.

I'm calibrating this evening but my initial impressions are great. Still smiling about it.

Input lag didn't even seem that bad and that's pre patch (guess I'm not that sensitive to lag)

The only thing that seemed slightly odd to me was the Auto Brightness Limiter. But I'll be fine with it if that's my only con. Viewing angle and deep blacks without blooming was a dream and this makes it reality.

Does the ABL seem as noticeable after calibration?

I'll post more impressions in the next day or so!

wege12

Impression was "Holy shit this looks good" as I just sat there and grinned at GTA5.

I'm calibrating this evening but my initial impressions are great. Still smiling about it.

Input lag didn't even seem that bad and that's pre patch (guess I'm not that sensitive to lag)

The only thing that seemed slightly odd to me was the Auto Brightness Limiter. But I'll be fine with it if that's my only con. Viewing angle and deep blacks without blooming was a dream and this makes it reality.

Can you please go into more detail about your experience with the abl? Like what were you doing while it happened, how often, and difference in picture quality after it kicked in.

I'm on the fence of buying the b6 OLED and this concerns me as I game a lot.

Congrats, I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it!

ABL is no longer noticeable on my calibrated B6. OLED light is set to 43, and contrast is at 80. If I increase OLED light to about 50, ABL will become noticeable on some content such as full screen web browsing.

Just got my B6 today from Adorama and it's perfect. Can't stop tinkering with the settings though. I'm wanting to leave it one mode all the time if I can get game mode to look good. Would you guys recommend this or should I just switch modes for gaming?

rou021

It's not supposed to be there though.
If you view a 24 FPS source at 24Hz on a CRT or other low-persistence display, motion is perfectly fluid.
It's only once you start repeating frames or viewing it on a high-persistence display that it is no longer smooth.

I've posted it here before, but this image should demonstrate how reducing persistence improves motion smoothness - so long as frames are not being repeated.

Caution: low framerate flashing images:
Both circles here are moving back and forth at 10 FPS.
The upper circle has full persistence and is displayed the entire time.
The lower circle has low persistence and is displayed for 1/6 the time.
If you cover up each half, you should see that the lower circle appears to be moving much more smoothly than the upper circle.

The same thing happens with 24 FPS motion displayed at 24Hz on a CRT. It looks as smooth as if you turned up the interpolation to its smoothest setting on a modern TV.
There are no artifacts though, because it's not using interpolation. There is, however, an awful lot of flickering.
As soon as you start repeating frames, it no longer looks smooth. Even going to 48Hz means that it starts to judder like you see on any recent TV with interpolation disabled.
48Hz on a low-persistence display arguably looks worse than a high-persistence display since you get very clear and distinct double-images instead of motion blur.

I agree that 24 FPS is an inherently limited format, but it's made worse by the way that modern displays present it.
I don't know that I would agree with repeated frames being "more accurate to the source".
It's true that the frames being displayed on your television have less processing applied to them, which is closer to the data being sent to the TV.
However when you use motion interpolation to smooth things out, that is closer to the smoothness that 24 FPS sources were originally supposed to have - though it does add unintended artifacts.

So the question is really about whether you believe that leaving the data untouched is being more faithful to the source, or preserving the original look of motion is more faithful to the source.
Both have serious drawbacks caused by the low framerate.
Ideally the framerate would be high enough that interpolation is no longer necessary. (120 FPS or higher)
The double images should be much less noticeable with real world content though. The source image is likely to have some blurring from camera movement. Test patterns won't have any blur, so the double images will stand out more on a low-persistence display. Considering this is what we got in cinemas for decades, I doubt most people would be that bothered by it anyway.

Most filmmakers would've probably taken into account the overall look of the movie being projected on film prior to the big switch to digital. I know they sometimes did strive to minimize strobing, for example. Editing and evaluation has also been done on low persistence displays until recently. Of course, modern techniques and procedures likely changed a bit. Nonetheless, viewing 24p content on a low-persistence display, without interpolation, would at least be closer to how most older content was intended to be viewed. I doubt a dramatic drop in resolution during motion was a part of the plan either.

I agree that no matter how you display 24p, it's going to be a compromise. My preferred method has its own faults as you've pointed out and you do make a good argument. I just think my preferred method is still the more acceptable compromise.

"Soap opera effect" is just a disparaging term that 'purists' use because they have been conditioned to prefer bad motion.
These people just don't like smooth motion and are the sort that would argue against 60 FPS gaming too. (or worse, 120-240 FPS on PC)

Once OLEDs have native 120Hz input support, it should hopefully be possible to demonstrate what perfect 24Hz motion looks like again as you will be able to encode (or play back) a video using black frame insertion to reduce the effective displayed refresh rate to 24Hz - assuming the response time can keep up.
Perhaps that will convince them that the result you get from interpolation is how smooth 24 FPS material was originally intended to look before displays started repeating frames or using high-persistence.
It won't be CRT-like, but you could reduce persistence to ~8ms which would hopefully be low enough.

I do agree that interpolation artifacts can be distracting but I'm not sure that they're worse than the severe judder you get without interpolation.

I think the 30 vs. 60 fps argument is a stretch though. Especially since frametime is also important for the perception of smoothness. Speaking for myself again, I don't care for the soap opera effect, but I prefer 60fps with low frametimes.

It's true that people have been conditioned to prefer 24fps for movies. This has been the norm for decades after all. This doesn't change the fact that higher framerates for movies--whether it be native or simulated by interpolation--still haven't caught on. People may be more accepting of it for documentaries, live content, or games, but movies just have to have a certain look to audiences. Just read the impressions for people that got to watch Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk in the latest HFR format. Even with state of the art technology and filming with HFR in mind, it still failed to resonate. The same goes for the Hobbit movies. Despite having poor motion, 24fps is just too strongly associated with being the cinematic look to change anytime soon.

BTW, LG's 2017 OLEDs support 120Hz input at 1080p, so this demonstration is now possible.

Well my point is that you don't really get a 60Hz image with a Plasma TV.
It depends on the model, but with the example used above, you get a low-persistence 600Hz presentation of a 60 FPS source - which brings about the same problems as the CRT displaying 24 FPS at 48/72/96Hz.
It's just that, as you reach higher and higher refresh rates, the more those duplicated frames start to look like motion blur because the difference in position between them gets smaller.

It's the same thing with LCDs that use high frequency PWM backlighting.
You won't find many people defending LCDs which use PWM-controlled backlights, but the motion artifacts from that are similar to a Plasma TV.
These examples would be 300Hz PWM (5 repeats at 60Hz):
That makes sense.

Sorry, I saved them to my PC years ago and I don't have a link to the original article.
Bummer. The pictures were still fairly interesting on their own, at least.

Chumley

Banned
Paragon said:

FOH with this bullshit. You have no idea what you're talking about.

How annoying is image retention for HUD elements and such on the B6 or comparable OLEDs?

I kind of want it as a good all rounder if I can get one for cheap come the new financial year, but maybe I should just get a cheaper TV to act as an all rounder since I'll be using it as a PC monitor with some regularity.

holygeesus

Banned
How annoying is image retention for HUD elements and such on the B6 or comparable OLEDs?

The only time I have ever noticed it, is when playing The Witness, when it throws those bright puzzles at you. They disappear after a few seconds though. After pumping thousands of gaming hours into my B6 I couldn't be happier with it.

I've also NEVER noticed ABL. It may well be something that certain people are more perceptible to though. That's when playing with OLED light and contrast maxed out in HDR mode too. It may be one of those things, that if you go looking for you will eventually see and not be able to un-see.

If anything, I'd argue that gaming is now the biggest strength of these sets. My major issue with them is how they handle low quality film material, which of course isn't an issue with gaming.

I was playing 'Everybody's Gone to the Rapture' last night, and without spoiling too much, the ending involves you being in the centre of a pitch black sky, surrounded by stars, and it was just unbelievable having the set disappear and being to see every star around you. Made me grin and pretty much every time I game on my B6 I have one of those moments.

For anyone having motion issues with 1080p video: try setting de-judder to 2 and de-blur to 0. I was watching The Mick tonight and it was pretty horrendous until I did that. Hoping I won't have any other issues.

Gitaroo

Is this fixable?

got the same tv, make sure motion stay off in HDR mode, there is also black level I think in the setting you can crank that up a bit but it will make blake looks grey ish.

Yawnny

Congrats, I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it!

ABL is no longer noticeable on my calibrated B6. OLED light is set to 43, and contrast is at 80. If I increase OLED light to about 50, ABL will become noticeable on some content such as full screen web browsing.

Same here. I set my Contrast to 100 and OLED to 40 and now ABL doesn't even kick in.. problem solved. Loving this TV!

Yawnny

Can you please go into more detail about your experience with the abl? Like what were you doing while it happened, how often, and difference in picture quality after it kicked in.

I'm on the fence of buying the b6 OLED and this concerns me as I game a lot.

Originally if a bright whit epicture came on it would become noticably more dim..

After I calibrated (which actually made the picture brighter) ABL never kicked in and It's great. I'll see if I can summon up a more detailed response tomorrow when I have some coffee in me.

Paragon

The double images should be much less noticeable with real world content though. The source image is likely to have some blurring from camera movement. Test patterns won't have any blur, so the double images will stand out more on a low-persistence display. Considering this is what we got in cinemas for decades, I doubt most people would be that bothered by it anyway.
Sure, there is motion blur but there's still significant judder despite that.
Just compare motion with interpolation turned up to its smoothest setting vs no interpolation on any flat panel TV.
The interpolation is significantly smoother despite there being motion blur - and that's how smooth raw 24p looks when displayed at 24Hz on a low-persistence screen.
It only stops looking that smooth once you start repeating frames or displaying it on a full-persistence display.
If motion blur hid that judder, you wouldn't see a difference with interpolation on or off.

I think the 30 vs. 60 fps argument is a stretch though. Especially since frametime is also important for the perception of smoothness. Speaking for myself again, I don't care for the soap opera effect, but I prefer 60fps with low frametimes.
It's true that people have been conditioned to prefer 24fps for movies. This has been the norm for decades after all. This doesn't change the fact that higher framerates for movies--whether it be native or simulated by interpolation--still haven't caught on. People may be more accepting of it for documentaries, live content, or games, but movies just have to have a certain look to audiences.
It mainly seems to be an older crowd which still has that opinion on how films "should look".
I know that it's not a strong argument to make, but I just don't see how some people 'accept', want - or even demand - really smooth motion with some forms of media, but then reject smooth motion in others.
You didn't see people moving from an N64 playing games at 15-20 FPS complaining about Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube games running at 60 FPS because they were suddenly too smooth.
You don't see people praising Breath of the Wild because it's a return to 20 FPS gaming.

When you realize that the "soap opera effect" is just a disparaging term that a certain group of people have coined for judder-free motion, you might start to reject that.
Why would I ever want things to judder as they move across the screen? The source has nothing to do with it.

Just read the impressions for people that got to watch Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk in the latest HFR format. Even with state of the art technology and filming with HFR in mind, it still failed to resonate. The same goes for the Hobbit movies. Despite having poor motion, 24fps is just too strongly associated with being the cinematic look to change anytime soon.
That's surprising to me because I've read nothing but glowing impressions for Halftime Walk - even from people that disliked how The Hobbit looked.
For those people, it seems like The Hobbit's 48 FPS did not distance itself enough from film, like Halftime Walk did by moving to 120 FPS.
It doesn't help that there were so many complaints about bad effects/sets/costumes etc. for The Hobbit when that had nothing to do with the framerate - but people were eager to put the blame on that.

BTW, LG's 2017 OLEDs support 120Hz input at 1080p, so this demonstration is now possible.
I hope that people try it. (and that it works with OLED)
With 24 FPS at 120Hz you can try out 24Hz motion with 8.33ms, 16.67ms, 25ms, or 33.33ms persistence, depending on how many frames you choose to blank out.
Unfortunately with 120Hz being an odd multiple of 24, you won't be able to try out other rates like 48Hz or 72Hz.

FOH with this bullshit. You have no idea what you're talking about.
So what's your reason for preferring low framerates then?
I can't think of any good reason for someone to prefer it other than being what they are conditioned to.
The type of content being viewed doesn't change what framerates are required for smooth motion.

Top Bottom