• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

xelios said:
That's pretty. I got my 4 pair of rocket boots out of 2-3? goblin invasions.
Damn! That's a lot D:

After a few more goblin invasions and a trip to the jungle, I finally got the remaining key items I wanted, yay :D

2BE5EC5C6EF77AF58CA321C8200A54CF66BAF5B3

Time to build more tunnels and a skyway so I can horde stars.

-Mikey-

Still looking for the underground jungle.

Thought I would find an entrance of sorts from the surface but it looks like i'll go to the dungeon in my world and then tunnel to the other end of the map until I stumble upon it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, I just hit the corruption, made a huge underground tunnel and found some chests, and it looked like it was leading to an underground jungle. Then something killed me out of nowhere. I have no real idea how to get back :(

Mairu

Hawkian said:
Man, I just hit the corruption, made a huge underground tunnel and found some chests, and it looked like it was leading to an underground jungle. Then something killed me out of nowhere. I have no real idea how to get back :(
The stuff in the jungle does a lot of damage. The first time I discovered it a TON of hornets hit me while I was in the water, and I just died so quickly.

Got a bunch of that water from an earlier pic down to the bottom finally :lol

gLBue.png

Mr_Elysia

All that wonderful natural underground aquifer water now ruined with sulphur. I hope your lakes are clean buddy or you just shot yourself in the foot.

L00P said:
fuuuck I can't get the sound of bone serpents digging around out of my head

Hitting the meteor heads sounds like popcorn.

Anyway, I did gather enough hellstone to make a flamarang which has been invaluable. It's the most powerful weapon I have right now and I've taken out the eater of worlds twice with it. He's always a bit tricky though since you'll be in a pit when he spawns.

Experienced the goblin invasion for the first time as well.

Other than that I have a few demonite things and got my second piece of meteor armor, though another landed randomly right as I logged off. The second one spawned in the bottom of a chasm and took awhile to find.

I've picked up a couple of other items as well like the harpoon and the light orb which is great.

Anyway, I'm not sure what's best now after I find the third meteorite. Go and explore the jungle (mine has a surface entrance so I know where it is) or go back to the underworld and get hellstone stuff before going after Skeletron and the dungeon? Either way, it'll probably take at least 5-10 more hours to do just that (and on a small map!) I still found only one floating island early so there must be more of those around as well.

Dreavus

Played this game WAAAY too much today with a couple of friends on a server. It was tons of fun. I haven't played a game this much in one day since MH3.

One of my friends had the brilliant idea to make a "sky arena" for fighting some of the bosses like the Eye of Cthulhu or the Eater of Worlds. basically it's a multi-tiered arena fairly high off the ground made out of those wooden platforms you can pass through (AND shoot arrows through) for maximum maneuverability. If we're fighting the Eye, we can summon him up there and duke it out without much to get in our way. We did it for the Eater a few times too and it also works very well; one of my friends smashes the 3rd shadow sphere out in the corruption while two of us wait at the arena, then he teleports back with the magic mirror. The Eater soon follows and we have every advantage on our own turf.

Stealth edit: This game is amazing. I'll probably end up burning myself out on it, but I'll be damned if it isn't fun for right now, haha.

Dreavus said:
Stealth edit: This game is amazing. I'll probably end up burning myself out on it, but I'll be damned if it isn't fun for right now, haha.

That's kind of how I feel. It's great and I'm not done with it yet, but I'm afraid I'll be burnt out by the time new content is added. It's a great timekiller though. And you can always start fresh with a new character and world if you wanted to, but there's no real advantage to that right now since you would be doing pretty much the exact same thing, unlike in games that have classes. Yes, you can customize to be a caster or melee or whatever, but all of that is through mid-high tier armor/weapons/items rather than intrinsic stats.

Mairu

CarbonatedFalcon said:
That's kind of how I feel. It's great and I'm not done with it yet, but I'm afraid I'll be burnt out by the time new content is added. It's a great timekiller though. And you can always start fresh with a new character and world if you wanted to, but there's no real advantage to that right now since you would be doing pretty much the exact same thing, unlike in games that have classes. Yes, you can customize to be a caster or melee or whatever, but all of that is through mid-high tier armor/weapons/items rather than intrinsic stats.
At this point I'm still enjoying constructing buildings, tunnels, and other walkways though I did blow through the game a lot this week. I hope the game gets continuous updates as I really enjoy it and it'd be fun to explore new environments and craft new stuff.

Grinchy

Banned
Being kind of busy lately has really helped extend the life of this game for me. I think I'm still at around 13 hours played. I don't have shit compared to you guys, but that's fine with me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I spent 2 hours purifying a large area then went overboard on the sunflowers. Feels good, man. Those damn shadow orbs aren't giving me another band of starpower so screw it.

MightyKAC

So to a person like me, whose just recently picked this little gem up. What would you guys suggest I do gameplay-wise just starting out?

Dice

MightyKAC said:
So to a person like me, whose just recently picked this little gem up. What would you guys suggest I do gameplay-wise just starting out?
Follow your heart.

But don't get 10 hearts until you have some good shit, because the Eye of Cthulhu will make you it's bitch every night. In fact, it might be useful to get 9, then save up several and add them all at once when you want to fight it. There are way more hearts out there than your max capacity.

Also, don't smash shadow orbs until you have beaten it, unless you're a crazy mofo and get molten stuff before fighting it.

Speaking of molten stuff, I would recommend getting a "Nature's gift" from the jungle before digging in hell. The jungle is rough but damage can be avoided if you're careful. Nature's gift will let you hold a spawn point near hell with minimal penalty, rather than burn potions every respawn. I wish I knew this the first time around.

Other than that, freedom is the best path. Just don't skimp on torches, so you can easily retrace your steps when you die. They are made from wood and gel, which are of infinite supply, so no worries about "wasting" them.

To get an NPC to show up your house needs walls, a table and chair, a light source, and (thoroughly finished) background walls. Each new NPC needs their own place, but if you want you can stack them like an apartment building. Here are the requirements:

Merchant, who is extremely useful: Have 50 silver or more on you. BTW When you collect coins, they auto-upgrade in denomination for every 100 you get.
Nurse, who is useful mid-game when you have lots of hearts but haven't made progress on potion-creating operations: Get an extra heart.
Arms Dealer, who is only useful for ammo later in the game because his guns suck: Own a gun.
Demolitionist, who can be very useful early-mid game when your equipment sucks: Find a bomb or some dynamite.
Dryad, whose usefulness depends on if you care about the corruption spreading, which it does very slowly: Kill a boss.

Dice

NemesisPrime said:
But how do I place a door!!!!???
First move it to your hotbar (I know, this is the part that doesn't make sense, but trust me, it will eventually) and make it your active item, then click the floor. It won't place if there is not a wall above it at the right spacing.
When you install a door in real life do you just stick it into the ground and build the house around it? :p

Hmm. I was thinking and once my character is strong enough to venture into the dungeon and collect spikes, I would like to try and build a model of a stargate with water inside for the "puddle" and lava acting as the lit up chevrons. Would be pretty cool if I could get it to work, but it will probably take a lot of finagling.

I just started playing yesterday and the first house/room we built was impenetrable. We built an underground tunnel leading to a much larger area and built another house but for some reason monsters keep spawning everywhere inside of it. I've been in and out of both threads so I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet but are monsters supposed to be able to spawn inside of your house?

Dice

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I just started playing yesterday and the first house/room we built was impenetrable. We built an underground tunnel leading to a much larger area and built another house but for some reason monsters keep spawning everywhere inside of it. I've been in and out of both threads so I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet but are monsters supposed to be able to spawn inside of your house?
They were doing that to me until I realized that monsters will always spawn unless you put up walls. Even though it is called "dirt wall" when you break it down, the dirt background does not count. It must be walls.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
About on the 3rd hour of playing the game on the 16th hour now, it said the Merchant has arrived but he never entered the house, and well he is still not there! I have about 13 gold on my dude, so has he got lost somewhere? :(

Jordan

Brazil said:

I have never played Minecraft or anything alike and I have just recently quit playing World of Warcraft due to lack of interest. I would like to play this game to get away from the evil that is World of Warcraft and enjoy it in my spare time.

Label said:
About on the 3rd hour of playing the game on the 16th now, it said the Merchant has arrived but he never entered the house, and well he is still not there! I have about 13 gold on my dude, so has he got lost somewhere? :(

He may be in a temporal house that you made. Maybe you made a small hut to pass the first night, before creating your current house?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
DangerousDave said:
He may be in a temporal house that you made. Maybe you made a small hut to pass the first night, before creating your current house?

Naw, I only have one house above ground the others are way below the surface! Is it possible he fell into a hole never to return?

Dice

Label said:
Naw, I only have one house above ground the others are way below the surface! Is it possible he fell into a hole never to return?
He spawned in an underground house. I guess we should have warned you about that. Good news is that if you build another and destroy that one, he'll eventually move up.

P.S. after only 3 hours, your idea of "way below" is probably laughable, so don't sweat it.

ZZMitch

I am trying to remove dirt in order to put in stone walls for my basement and it is taking so long. I have a silver hammer and removing dirt walls still takes forever. Is there a faster way?

Also I hate chests. Reinivating my basement is killing me. I have to keep taking my stuff out of all my chests then removing them when I want to change the walls or floor around them. So annyoing.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dice said:
He spawned in an underground house. I guess we should have warned you about that. Good news is that if you build another and destroy that one, he'll eventually move up.

P.S. after only 3 hours, your idea of "way below" is probably laughable, so don't sweat it.

I am 16 hours in now, in the underground jungle!

I have 3 houses one in the jungle(at the bottom), one about 2,700ft down and one above ground (more like an obsidian and glass tower :) ) and he is not in any of them!

Dice

ZZMitch said:
I am trying to remove dirt in order to put in stone walls for my basement and it is taking so long. I have a silver hammer and remove dirt walls still takes forever. Is there a faster way?
No, it's a pain even with the molten hamaxe. :(

I think explosives do it, but that is a little crazy. Walls are the worst-implemented part of the game.

ZZMitch

Dice said:
No, it's a pain even with the molten hamaxe. :(

I think explosives do it, but that is a little crazy. Walls are the worst-implemented part of the game.
Yeah they are, I am at a loss as to how people built large underground houses seeing as you have to start from an opening and have to change all those walls >.<

Grinchy

Banned
Oh yeah I hate the walls. Maybe that was some weird societal message from the devs, that tearing down walls is a difficult but worthy task that requires diligence and motivation. J/k obviously, it's just a pain in the ass.

And the chests too. Good call. I built a new house on the other side of my town that I made my new spawn point. I wanted all my items there, so I had to keep filling up my inventory and running across the town to take one load at a time to the new place. I took that opportunity to organize my stuff and put signs over the chests describing what's in them. Ahhhh, OCD is fun!

Dice

OF COURSE I finally get the Sunfury only after putting in all the work to make the ultimate battle bone serpent killing arena and a spawn home in the area right above it and put away my regen rings to maximize movement bonus items and a nature's gift.

Well, I guess if I ever feel like farming for another to pawn off to someone, I'm ready. Overall, getting one only took 10 FUCKING HOURS. I'm also the Steve Irwin of bone serpents now. I know her dance...

Man, I must have spent about 6 solid hours just trying to farm Hellstone. I needed some meteor stone as my gold weapons and tools are shit, but in order to have a meteor fall, you need to hit an orb. Thing is, the orbs are surrounded by a stone which a gold pickaxe cant break. So my only option was dig all the way down to hell and farm that stone. But fuck those imps.

In the end, after getting killed a lot, I managed to dig right to the very bottom of the map, and there the imps dont spawn. You can also walk right along the bottom too, so if you get there, you can just pick away right along the bottom across the map.

Kalnos

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
Man, I must have spent about 6 solid hours just trying to farm Hellstone. I needed some meteor stone as my gold weapons and tools are shit, but in order to have a meteor fall, you need to hit an orb. Thing is, the orbs are surrounded by a stone which a gold pickaxe cant break. So my only option was dig all the way down to hell and farm that stone. But fuck those imps.

In the end, after getting killed a lot, I managed to dig right to the very bottom of the map, and there the imps dont spawn. You can also walk right along the bottom too, so if you get there, you can just pick away right along the bottom across the map.

Well, you could of just TNT'd or bought purification powder (from dryad, kill Cthulhu eye for her to appear) and used your gold pickaxe to get to the shadow orbs. Hellstone is the final tier, so... meteor gear will be worthless now.

Dice

The best thing to do is turn off in-game music and play your own in whatever player you use. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the audio levels between them well balanced, but after that it is far more enjoyable doing the long work. For this last session of making the arena and my house in hell and some farming I listened to every 4minute song.
Except Heart to Heart, that one sucks!

Kalnos said:
Well, you could of just TNT'd or bought purification powder (from dryad, kill Cthulhu eye for her to appear) and used your gold pickaxe to get to the shadow orbs. Hellstone is the final tier, so... meteor gear will be worthless now.

I've still not come across Cthullu yet. The only boss I've met so far is the Skeleton dude and he just kicks my arse. Hence the reason for the meteor stone journey. I've not even got any guns or magic yet, and I'm 16 hours in!

Artadius

So I didn't know there were unique mobs in the game? Well, other than the bosses everyone is familiar with.

I ran into a named red slime called Pinky. He had like 200 health and was a bit smaller than your normal slime. Upon killing it he dropped at least 1 gold 1 silver.

Found him at the bottom of a corruption hole.

Fox1304

WajWw.png

Loot from the bottom of generated hell to the heights of the pixel stars ...
Build an awesome house full of useless things that look too stylish for their own good ...
Hook up with some gaf buddies to discover all the crazy stuff that thhis game has to offer ...
Taunt my best buddy who chose Minecraft with my newly crafted hook or laser sword and see him regret not having bought it yet ...

If you wanted a harder contest, you should have asked me what are the reasons that could possibly exist that wouldn't make me want this game more !

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Artadius said:
So I didn't know there were unique mobs in the game? Well, other than the bosses everyone is familiar with.

I ran into a named red slime called Pinky. He had like 200 health and was a bit smaller than your normal slime. Upon killing it he dropped at least 1 gold 1 silver.

Found him at the bottom of a corruption hole.

Yeah I've ran into him a few times. He's cute.

Sanic

Just caved and bought this. Hoping I can get some enjoyment out of SP since none of my friends are buying this and there isn't a consistent dedicated gaf server.

I just got a 3MB update; no patch notes yet.

Edit: No native widescreen settings yet :(

Edit2: Thanks Archie! *looks down and waves*

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Bobby Truffles said:
I just got a 3MB update; no patch notes yet.

Here they are

Updates to Terraria have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Controls
Right clicking and holding on a crafting recipe will craft multiple of the same item to a max of the stack and/or until you run out of materials.

Items
NEW ITEM : Sticky Bombs, Requires 5 Gel and a Bomb.
Sand Duping bug fixed.
Placing a bed far from the spawn no longer causes a player who has set their spawn there to crash on join.
Mining stone and other hard ores make a 'tink' noise now.
Hellstone and Obsidian now require at least a Demonite pick to gather.
Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of the spawn location, This should remove the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
Hellstone now correctly takes as long to dig as meteor does.
The clay pot item now has the correct size.

Performance
Frame-skip is now correctly ON by default for new players.
Increased Client Side Multiplayer stability. Should resolve many crash causes.
Corrected a bug where players would intermittently not take falling damage.
The world file is now saved to a temporary file that is copied over to the actual save file. This prevents world corruption when saving is interrupted.
Fixed a bug that disabled some error handling. Overall game stability should be improved.

GUI
The version number of the game now shows on the title screen.
Typing numbers in chat no longer changes your selected item in your hotbar.

Server
Servers now listen to all IP addresses on the hosting PC, regardless of how many network connections are active.
Typing "localhost" instead of your own local IP address will connect to your own same-PC server.
The games default port is no longer ELEET (31337) it is now 7777.
Client will now resolve a hostname into its IP address, for example, if randomsite.org ran a server, you could type randomsite.org as the IP address and be able to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom