• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if its posted already, but Gamespot has a preview up for the console version (XBLA version) of terraria we developed for 505

check it out here http://www.gamespot.com/terraria/videos/terraria-breaks-new-ground-on-xbox-live-arcade-6402309/

So...

- There's a cursor, kind of. Looks like it only goes so far.
- There's a map mode, which luckily only shows only places you've been to.
- Targeting can be flipped between manual and auto mode.
- 4 Player split screen (split screen on at all times)
- 8 Player online, although they didnt say if you can have splitscreen in that mix.
- Looks like there's more slots for worlds.
- The inventory/crafting screen has a tabbed interface.

Retro

Hmmm...

Twitter said:
‏@Demilogic
Had a really good meeting with 505 today. The future of Terraria is bright!

@StuartHannon11
@Demilogic For PC I hope?

‏@Demilogic
@StuartHannon11 Definitely maybe.

/shrug

Terraria has been in developmental stagnation for the better part of a year, most of the player base wandered off when it was clear the game was no longer going to receive further updates or support, even when 505 took over but made it clear that they were working only on the Console port.

I don't see them being able to compete with Starbound when they're so far behind and Terraria feels like... let me put it this way; Redigit was lucky to be the first one out of the gate with "Minecraft in 2-D" and despite being one of my all time favorites, it's still a pretty messy game with a lot of issues. Starbound just looks like "Terraria as done by professionals." I am okay with that.

If it's a free update and it's out before Starbound, I'll play it. But it'd be like going back to alphabet blocks after your folks bought you Lego.

balddemon

Banned
started a new character/world the other day. got a house, the guide, and the merchant. was going to make a bed, but died at 46 cobwebs and so I just decided to quit.

it's kind of weird going from all the best weapons and accessories in the game...to nothing.

anyways, it's very fun again haha, and I recommend anyone who hasn't played in a while to pick it back up and start a new character. it's a shame multiplayer is borked from what I've heard though :(

edit: what's starbound? I might have to check that out if it's terraria v2
edit2: just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ5mt1pMuaI and I am sold on starbound ahhaha it looks amazing

Retro

Interesting this thread was bumped. From Redigit's Twitter:

Feb 18, 2013: Developing the new PC update.
Feb 19, 2013: This update will be free.
Feb 19, 2013: The update is going great. I have added a lot so far. :)
Feb 19, 2013: I have already added over 130 new things to the game. This update is happening. ;)

@TCGJAyandGian: when will terraria be update? :D
‏@Demilogic: Within a few months!

And from the Terraria Forums: "How would you feel about waterfalls? ;)"

So.... an update to Terraria PC this spring, independent from the Console version.

balddemon

Banned
downloaded tshock, am having some fun dicking around with it :p
I'll continue natural progression later, I'm wearing full shadow armor with nightmare pickaxe and hammer.

Retro

Some news on the upcoming PC Update, from their IRC:

b3c2GLG.png

Additionally, people have been keeping a list of things mentioned in their IRC. You can see screen captures of his comments at the source, I'll just copy their list and explain on the stuff they don't really flesh out.

Confirmed:
-Legend of Maxx Reference
-Revamped Character Menu
-"Rare" Monster with something worth farming
-Moss will grow underground, over rocks.
-Hardmode will be Revamped
-PvP Mechanics related to damage are Changing
-Silt Will Now Have a Use.
-Gems Have Increased Uses
-Waterfalls.
-Over 250 items added.
-The update will be bigger than 1.1.
-NO Space Biome.
-Hallow & Corruption Changes.
-New Hook type
- About 60 aesthetic changes so far.
- You can walk up 1 block tiles, so... working staircases, basically.
- More then 5 world & character limit

Hints/Suggested features:
(Don't take these things as confirmed, in the screen caps he basically just asks "Would you want this" or "I always thought this would be cool".
-Half Blocks
-A possible update to the Vilethorn weapon.
-New Biome
-Leveling System
-Barber NPC
-More Pets & Better Pet AI

Here's the source if you want to see the exact statements for yourself. Terraria fans are obsessive, they pour over every word the guy says and extrapolate into infinity. I feel bad for Redigit.

mike23

He should release it as pay dlc. There's already been so much added to the game through updates, I'd be happy to pay to encourage continued updates every once in a while.

Raxum

Some news on the upcoming PC Update, from their IRC:

pic

Additionally, people have been keeping a list of things mentioned in their IRC. You can see screen captures of his comments at the source, I'll just copy their list and explain on the stuff they don't really flesh out.

Here's the source if you want to see the exact statements for yourself. Terraria fans are obsessive, they pour over every word the guy says and extrapolate into infinity. I feel bad for Redigit.

Noticed this earlier, really looking forward to the update. I think I'll start a new world for the update and do everything from the beginning again. There goes another 50-100 hours of my life.

Voidguts

has anyone seen this XBLIG Dinora "inspired" by Terraria? I honestly can't understand why someone would devote so much time on making a shameless clone, but.. the dog/cows/frankenstein/animations had me laughing my ass off. hopefully this doesn't get released.

balddemon

Banned
Lol I tried fighting the twins with a cursed flames spell borrowed from my old character and molten armor and got destroyed. Time to find some ores.

VandalD

.... oh my gawd.

First pic looks like it has the beam sword in action, being flung out of the new door. Also looks like cloud and raincloud blocks that always produce rainwater. Maybe the rainwater cleanses both corruption and hallow? I saw Red mentioning a way to remove or contain both in your world more easily. You can also see proper half steps between blocks so that you can walk up and down diagonals. I'm excited for more Terraria!

So.. what's coming first, this update or Starbound beta? Oh man.

Edit: Looks like a health bar under the Harpy..

Edit again: "I will do a few more updates." "sequel is down the road."

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Was this stuff in the console release? I'd rather keep playing this on PC with the superior controls, but I don't think I could resist a Vita version. Which will be definitive content-wise?

Retro

update on the pc update!

Hmm... Well, there's red, blue and green wire now. Looks like yellow is the universal color for an 'actuator'. You can see that there are little grey "X" marks on each one, meaning that now we'll be able to make any material disappear, not just the active/inactive stone blocks. That's good, as previously you weren't able to make hidden passages, traps or anything like that without using raw stone in your construction.

Is the purple water in the Hallow new? I don't remember it before.

- New wood texture/color, it's much more pale and muted. Looks like it might replace the existing wood, as the doors, workbench and chair are the same style. Hopefully it's new, as variety is always a good thing. I wonder if it's being changed because Tiy left.

- New brick texture, hopefully it isn't a replacement texture too as I kind of don't like the tiling of it. I also don't want them changing the old stuff, as it will radically change the look of things we've already built.

- The red/pink brick used for the basement has the same sort of ugly tiling. PLEASE don't let them be changing all of that stuff, it looks horribly chunky and mis-matched. Likewise, the background is too grid like.

- New sprite for chests.

- Glass appears to blend with other materials.

- Grass blends with other materials; there's no sudden dip where the grass meets the wood like there is now.

- Looks like a new top hat? That backpack is also interesting.

Basically, it looks like a new artist is coming in and ditching all of Tiy's art. Which isn't bad, but it kind of snubs everything that already exists, and Terraria did have a pretty recognizable look. Not sure I like where this is going, but I don't really mind as much as I would have before... the new toys will certainly be a nice distraction until Starbound.

Retro

One of the moderators at Terraria's official forums posted this;

To which someone rattled off a list of features that appear to be in the image. Redigit then commented on the accuracy of those guesses; number three is not 'stairs' but in-fact what building with half-blocks looks like. So here's the list;

1) Turtle has propellers (to follow you like bunny)
2)Glowing mushroom blocks
3) Stairs?!
4)New weapon from other picture,shoots rockets
5)Jetpack
6)New Wings
7)Mushroom Biome
8)Mush-Spear
9)Mushroom doors and furniture

Hot Bar:
1)Looks like a gun,with a scope
2)Hamdrax
3)Hammush
4)Carrot
5)True Night's Edge (WUT)
6)Acorn
7)Dao of POWA
8)Another new gun
9)Leaf/Lettuce (Most likely for summoning a turtle :D)
0)No clue

End of May should be fun.

Retro

I've already started a new world to prep myself for the changes I'm going to witness in the coming months.

I wouldn't. When they've introduced major updates in the past, it usually required a new world to generate the new biomes and such. That's really the only reason I haven't either.

IceMarker

I wouldn't. When they've introduced major updates in the past, it usually required a new world to generate the new biomes and such. That's really the only reason I haven't either.

I haven't hardmode'd my main world, so hopefully he doesn't make that world incompatible...

Retro

I haven't hardmode'd my main world, so hopefully he doesn't make that world incompatible...

I haven't either, since I don't want a shitload of clowns blowing my stuff up. I'm just saying though, stuff like the Snow biome, underground 'bunkers' and a few other things were only available in post-patch generated worlds. We don't know what he'll be adding, but from the look of that mushroom house, I would bet that it will require a new world generation.

Is there a free demo of this? There's none on steam, and google showed quite a few results but I don't know if any of them are legit, I'm wondering how well it will run on my PC. What's the big update people are talking about? Would now be a bad time to buy it?

Retro

Is there a free demo of this? There's none on steam, and google showed quite a few results but I don't know if any of them are legit, I'm wondering how well it will run on my PC. What's the big update people are talking about? Would now be a bad time to buy it?

1. No demo for the PC version that I am aware of, but there's a demo for the console version, I believe (at least, there is for the 360, not sure about PS3).

2. It ran fine on my last computer, which was a piece of crap, off-the-shelf Dell from 2005. It's a 2-D platformer with a procedurally generated world, it's not exactly hard on the GPU. The only time I'd be worried about not being able to run it is an old laptop, maybe.

3. After the 1.1 update, the creator (Redigit) decided to stop development of the game to make time for his newborn son. Then there were rumors that he was considering starting back up again, which were later confirmed. The 1.2 patch should be out "around the end of May" and will add a lot of new items (216 so far, I believe) and things to do.

4. If you've never played it before, there really isn't a bad time to buy it. There's a lot of content already out and it's mostly a single player experience (though it is enjoyable with friends). That said, it goes on sale a lot (last month, for example) so keep an eye on steam, especially when the Summer Sales start up. I've seen it go as low as $2 and change.

I always say, even at the full $10, it's still worth the risk to see if you'll like it. If you don't care for it, you're out a pizza. If you get bitten by it, it could easily absorb days of your life.

Grinchy

Banned

Yeah, I had just started a new world recently before I knew about the update. I decided that even though I was having fun, I'd wait for the next update. It looks like some really cool stuff is coming so I don't mind waiting.

Retro

Yeah, I had just started a new world recently before I knew about the update. I decided that even though I was having fun, I'd wait for the next update. It looks like some really cool stuff is coming so I don't mind waiting.

Yeah, all of these updates make me want to play too, but I know there will be a lot of new stuff to play with if I just give it another month or two.

1. No demo for the PC version that I am aware of, but there's a demo for the console version, I believe (at least, there is for the 360, not sure about PS3).

2. It ran fine on my last computer, which was a piece of crap, off-the-shelf Dell from 2005. It's a 2-D platformer with a procedurally generated world, it's not exactly hard on the GPU. The only time I'd be worried about not being able to run it is an old laptop, maybe.

3. After the 1.1 update, the creator (Redigit) decided to stop development of the game to make time for his newborn son. Then there were rumors that he was considering starting back up again, which were later confirmed. The 1.2 patch should be out "around the end of May" and will add a lot of new items (216 so far, I believe) and things to do.

4. If you've never played it before, there really isn't a bad time to buy it. There's a lot of content already out and it's mostly a single player experience (though it is enjoyable with friends). That said, it goes on sale a lot (last month, for example) so keep an eye on steam, especially when the Summer Sales start up. I've seen it go as low as $2 and change.

I always say, even at the full $10, it's still worth the risk to see if you'll like it. If you don't care for it, you're out a pizza. If you get bitten by it, it could easily absorb days of your life.

Cool, thanks for the heads up on the demo, gave it a try on PS3 and decided to buy that version, if it goes on sale for super cheap again I'll double dip on steam.

Loving the game too, I just scrolled up and saw some of the super mansions people have built, puts my little 1 room shacks to shame, lol.

Retro

Cool, thanks for the heads up on the demo, gave it a try on PS3 and decided to buy that version, if it goes on sale for super cheap again I'll double dip on steam.

Loving the game too, I just scrolled up and saw some of the super mansions people have built, puts my little 1 room shacks to shame, lol.

For what it's worth, the PC version is always going to be the 'best'; the console version has some new additions, but from what I've heard/read they're all kind of lame (even the new boss behaves just like the old ones). I think the only thing in the console version I wish the PC version had is the auto-aim digging.

I'm sure you'll get your money's worth, but definitely keep an eye out for the PC version to go on sale.

And don't feel too bad about your shack, that's how everyone started. Then they add a basement or an upper level for a new NPC, then they add more and more to become a castle. Then, if you love building, you start over again and again building more elaborate structures each time.

But it always starts with the shack.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
and I've got back into the habit of playing this (though, I never played it fully to begin with). Just finally dug deep enough to reach "Hell." Spent too much time into building a massive underground lake/ocean.

Retro

From earlier today on Twitter;

Andrew Spinks ‏@Demilogic
What do you think of the new unicorn mount? ;)
unicornmountggrg6.png

New Trees also, not crazy about how they look, but hopefully they're not replacing everything. The flowers previously seen in this post are there too, so they're not sky-only. They're also noy a replacement for Daybloom, as there's some growing there on the left.

But, that's actually something I've noticed with a lot of these screenshots though; Redigit seems to be replacing a lot of Tiy's work. Jealous of Starbound, mayhaps?

Anyways, there's this just now;

Hi everybody, I'm Jimmarn(Jim), and I'm an artist. At least that's what I like to think.
As of now I'm a Main spriter and designer on Terraria. Which is great. It is really fun working as a pixel artist, and coming up with these new ideas.

Some of you might wonder what Terraria related work I'm doing, and to be honest I do something in every category containing graphics/design. Everything from Tilesets, weapons, items, props, npc's to player graphics.

. . .

I can promise you, one more time, that this update really is going to be big.
And of course I won't be introducing myself without showing any of my work in a matter of a spoiler:
thesurface2-pngmmoii.png

underground3-pngdlren.png

(source)

There is also this;

Redigit
Few hours to go until the spoiler!
Today at 4:35 PM

So expect this thread to get another bump shortly.

Edit:
Unless the screenshots from the artist are actually the spoiler he was talking about.... /shrug.

Edit 2:
Ah yes, clarification via twitter;

Edit 3: Time to break it down;

First Image, Left to Right:
- This snow has more blue in it than the snow that exists now, so possibly a new biome altogether?
- New background? Don't remember the snow biome getting snow mountain/trees.
- Some kind of flying ice thing? Maybe a frost bat?
- Frozen Rock/ore?
- New type of tree, different from the one that appears in the current snow biome.
- Chunks of ice / frozen grass?
- Penguin.
- New blue brick texture / walls.
- New Blue Torches / chests.
- The plant in the pot there appears to be new.
- Pale wood furniture/ platforms, chairs have green padding.
- Could we place objects on Pianos before? I rarely used them.
- Green Blanket on the Bed.
- Candle has a blue base.
- New Table (legs are different)
- New Door.
- Little Penguin (Possibly a pet?)
- New Hat (Looks like a Napoleonic Bicorne)
- New wings (looks Egyptian)
- New Stove/fireplace.
- Roasting Marshmallows
- Bonfire

(The Parka had been seen previously).

Second Image:
- Icicles.
- Some kind of snowball?
- Some kind of plant?
- Definitely a penguin Pet.
- Waterfall doesn't appear to affect torches
- Lower part of image; something else frozen?

Retro

Somebody commented that the new fireplace appears to have a bellows next to it, indicating it is more of a 'forge' than the previous furnace.

Someone also noticed that the blue banners are facing in opposite directions; perhaps statues can be placed in a similar fashion now too?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Might have to add to my 135 hours of playtime when this update hits. Not sure when Starbound will come out or when I'll be able to grab it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The marshmallow roasting alone makes me hope this update hits the console version as well!

I'd also consider getting the PC version as it's just better anyways :p

But I do hope we see this on console soon after. I am nowhere near my progression on PS3 as I am on PC but it would still be nice knowing that we may see this update on consoles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom