• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
French police have several swat style intervention forces. pretty much every policemen is armed. In case of a stand-off situation they will be appropriatly trained and equiped.

No, not Cabu, shit :(

A friend who work for the police had a sig sauer as a service weapon.

For SWAT-style forces, there is at least RAID, google it.

Yeah, looked up RAID, definitely falls in line with other European counter terrorist groups.

Another caricature

J7r1n.jpg

"Believer hurt by non-believers - Non-believer hurt by believers"

This is from a German satire paper about the German pope. Pope got angry, wanted them to stop printing that edition. Got a court to try to force them but they said, oh there seems to be a misunderstanding. Pope was just happy that he found the reason for the leaking in the Vatileaks affair and celebrated with FANTA.

papst.jpg

freude-beim-papst1.jpg

To be fair Europe has had a wave of organic civilising processes that the Muslim World hasn't had for the most part. Europeans are lucky that historical political machinations led to the watering down of Christianity.

Pacbois

Not all French police is appropriately trained equipped against experienced Islamic fighters with bulletproof vests, AKs and RPGs. You want the GIPN, the BRI or the RAID.

Sure, regular police is not equiped with bulletproof vest or automatic weapons but their at least armed. Is several european countries most policemen are not even armed with a handgun.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Awful. I really hope Hollande reconsiders his policy of paying these monsters to release hostages. No one should be giving these maniacs money

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Saddening.

Also:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d066...red-french-satirical-paper-say-police-witness

/those murders need to found & put to rest asap. I'm sure they'll be running amok rather than getting arrested.

It looks like Hollande is already engaging in damage control.

Sure, regular police is not equiped with bulletproof vest or automatic weapons but their at least armed. Is several european countries most policemen are not even armed with a handgun.

I've been to pretty much all of Europe and I can only remember the UK from the top of my mind. Every single cop on the beat had at least a handgun and in some instances carried more than that in their cars.

orioto

Good Art™
who is cabu?

That's a pretty well known cartoonist here, who's been working for dozen of years. One of the most known.

He was (if this is confirmed) even working for the major kid's tv show in the 80's.

It has to be noted here that known artists, many journalists, being killed like that is a first i think.

chadskin

“We heard shouting in the street,” one man, Benoit Bringer, told the station. “We saw hooded men carrying Kalashnikovs enter the building. We called the police. After a few minutes we heard heavy firing, a lot of firing. We went upstairs onto the roof.

“And then after about 10 minutes we saw two armed men come out into the street. Three policemen arrived on bikes but had to leave because the men were armed, obviously … There was a lot more shouting in the street, a lot more gunshots. The attackers took off in a car.”

Seriously, it took them 10 minutes to arrive at the scene? And then they only had bikes?

Pacbois

I've been to pretty much all of Europe and I can only remember the UK from the top of my mind. Every single cop on the beat had at least a handgun.

I think Norway don't have (or at least before the Olso attacks ?) a lot of armed police on the streets ?

The fuck do you achieve with this shit?

Killing innocents and fucking over your own people.

Senseless barbarism

By instilling fear in people they will often bend to your will.

that's the plan. And unfortunately in the name of "security" the plan works all too often.

liger05

I don't think this is simply about the cartoons.

Even though IS never specifically said attack France they did say attack 'those who attack us in there lands'

These guys look to professional to be lone wolfs but then again if it was officially IS I don't see why they wouldn't claim it.

Community policing and critical incident response are not the same. Different tools for different jobs - just because you've seen one type of cop doesn't mean that's all we have in the arsenal.

MormaPope

Banned

I've been to pretty much all of Europe and I can only remember the UK from the top of my mind. Every single cop on the beat had at least a handgun and in some instances carried more than that in their cars.

Its that way for American police, they have a AR-15 or a shotgun in the trunk or backseat.

Fliesen

It's just a damn cartoon. These people are fucking nuts.

actually, it's about ethics in games journalism.

(disclaimer: if anyone considers this bad taste, i am sorry. My heart's with the friends and families of those who have been killed.
I do believe, however, it'd be in the spirit of those who have lost their lives to relieve some of the tension by means of black humour.)

Xando

Its that way for American police, they have a AR-15 or a shotgun in the trunk or backseat.

Atleast here in germany i think they have MP-5 sub machine guns but they aren't really trained like they are with pistols. Don't know about france.

Milchjon

Been thinking about the argument that you can't expect peaceful Muslims to protest against terrorism.

On one hand, I agree. You can't, it's not their fault.

On the other hand, it might still be in their best interest. For instance, tens of thousands of Germans have publicly protested against the anti-Islam PEGIDA marches. Which has been reported internationally alongsides the PEGIDA stuff.

Some "positive PR" really can't hurt, especially if the public image of your group can have a very real impact. I'm sure French Muslims would rather not have a Le Pen-led government...

Foffy

Banned
Egocentric tribalism. It takes some truly shitbrained mental capacity to attack a group of people who do satire comics.

Zaph

The French have highly trained special forces groups, but regardless, securing a metropolis like Paris after this type of attack is incredibly difficult. No matter how good they are, if terrorists armed and trained like that want to make a bigger mess before they go down, it's near impossible to stop them.

I imagine you were in London or a transport hub and saw one of our firearms unit. They make up a very small number of our total police force - vast majority unarmed.

charb-charlie-herb_3156800c.jpg

Publishing director of Charlie Hebdo, Charb

12.30 Charb had a price put on his head by al-Qaeda in 2013.
12.29 According to a France TV source, the attack took place during the weekly editorial meeting of Charlie Hebdo, which meant that all the journalists were present.
12.27 The Telegraph's Henry Samuel reports:
Charb (Stéphane Charbonnier), the news director of Charlie Hebdo, is in critical condition

Yeah the videos are insane, clearly not amateur hour. No wild spraying, they killed the cop who confronted them before calmly driving on, seem to be well aware of their surroundings etc.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Great usual "how can you not be angry etc etc, terrorist, kill them all" FB posts now

argh don't tar everyone with the same flipping brush,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom