• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

Yes, the Quran. People bang on about Hadiths. A Hadith is not the Quran, therefore not the literal word of god, therefore I don't understand why any Muslim gives them any countenance.

It's even better because it perfectly illustrates that a few are forcing the vast majority to remain trapped behind archaic and outdated political modalities. Islam can't move forward into the 21st century because of these few but also seem to be blissfully unaware.

is it a really a few though? look at how many muslim majority countries there are. even now, semi progressive muslim asia seem to be going backward on its human rights thing. especially indonesia.

Anjelus_

OUT OF CONTEXT, INACCURATE AND MADE UP QUOTES

I like how you quote "Islamic teachings" that are actually falsely attributed to the Ayatollah Khomeini. So not only are they not "Islamic teachings," they're not even accurate quotations of the guy they were made up to mock. Do you fact check at all? I feel like there should be rules against posting this kind of hate and passing it off as factual in an effort to discriminate against a religion.

A6M3

Banned
NOPE THEY ARE ALL CORRECT AND ARE SAID EXACTLY HOW IT IS.

yes i fact check buddy. all of what i wrote is 100% correct, if you say its false then your ignorant. i know for a fact that all of those are correct. Ayatollah Khomeini is a trash human being

FiggyCal

Banned
I like how you quote "Islamic teachings" that are actually falsely attributed to the Ayatollah Khomeini. So not only are they not "Islamic teachings," they're not even accurate quotations of the guy they were made up to mock. Do you fact check at all? I feel like there should be rules against posting this kind of hate and passing it off as factual in an effort to discriminate against a religion.

There's a lot of money to be made in spreading anti-muslim propaganda. A ton of sites have been dedicated to miseducate people on what Islam is about. This includes doing things like purposely using inaccurate translations and terribly sourced Hadiths to show how "bad" Muslims are.

Foundations paid $42 million to spread anti-Muslim propaganda

Anjelus_

Yes, the Quran. People bang on about Hadiths. A Hadith is not the Quran, therefore not the literal word of god, therefore I don't understand why any Muslim gives them any countenance.

Because the Hadiths are the traditions of the Prophet who's kind of a big deal in Islam. Muslims see him as an "ideal" person and the Hadiths are considered supplementary to the actual Koran. You can't really have one without the other.

@Other People:

I feel like some of the people in this thread are using Rush Limbaugh as a source on their Islamic studies. Honestly, if someone even just took a passing interest in reading a book on this subject, such as the one I linked to earlier, it would answer a lot of their questions and disabuse them of the raging ignorance evidenced here.

yes i fact check buddy. all of what i wrote is 100% correct, if you say its false then your ignorant. i know for a fact that all of those are correct. Ayatollah Khomeini is a trash human being

Do you know who Khomeini is? Do you know which sect he hails from? Are you aware of the history behind the origins of that sect? Do you know the demographic make up of Muslims worldwide?

If you even have to think twice about those questions you have no idea what you're talking about. Attributing the supposed works of Khomeini (I haven't even bothered to check if they're legitimate or not) to the entirety of Islam is a tremendous show of ignorance. As for the rest of your quotes, context has been provided multiple times in this forum previously. Further, if you actually read two verses before and after the ones you copy and pasted you may gain some insight into the context surrounding them.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
The Constitution and Magna Carta were written with historical and political context.

The Quran was written as a Religious book by Mohammed and his followers.

There is no wiggle room in believing in the Quran or not. Either you believe in the "teachings" of Mohammed and the Quran or you don't.

Explain moderate Jews and Christians then.

Arksy

Because the Hadiths are the traditions of the Prophet who's kind of a big deal in Islam. Muslims see him as an "ideal" person and the Hadiths are considered supplementary to the actual Koran. You can't really have one without the other.

@Other People:

I feel like some of the people in this thread are using Rush Limbaugh as a source on their Islamic studies. Honestly, if someone even just took a passing interest in reading a book on this subject, such as the one I linked to earlier, it would answer a lot of their questions and disabuse them of the raging ignorance evidenced here.

I don't see why not. The word of god is the word of god. Mohammed was a prophet. He's not god. He is a messenger. Why is his behaviour relevant? Surely only god's words are relevant.

Anjelus_

You clearly do not fact check because numerous of those quotes sprinkled all over anti-Muslim propaganda websites and have been debunked countless times. And so what if the Ayatollah is a trash human being? Even if those quotes were accurately attributed to him, which it's hilarious that you seem to think that they are, they wouldn't constitute "Islamic teachings." Islamic teachings = the Koran and the prophetic traditions.

Recommend you get off google and go to a library next time you want to research Islam.

A6M3

Banned
Do you know who Khomeini is? Do you know which sect he hails from? Are you aware of the history behind the origins of that sect? Do you know the demographic make up of Muslims worldwide?

If you even have to think twice about those questions you have no idea what you're talking about. Attributing the supposed works of Khomeini (I haven't even bothered to check if they're legitimate or not) to the entirety of Islam is a tremendous show of ignorance. As for the rest of your quotes, context has been provided multiple times in this forum previously. Further, if you actually read two verses before and after the ones you copy and pasted you may gain some insight into the context surrounding them.

i copied and pasted this from a previous thread.. doesn't matter, how can you deny those saying they a in the koran and are written so clearly. your doing what every muslim does and thats being ignorant

I don't have CNN but is it Ayaan Hirsi Ali? She was supposed to be on tonight and is pretty smart from what I hear, assuming that "my god" is meant to be negative.

It was some professor, definitely don't think that was her name. Mubin Shaikh seemed pretty well-spoken though.

And for anyone wondering why I was watching CNN, my mom was watching and I'm in the same room.

Anjelus_

I don't see why not. The word of god is the word of god. Mohammed was a prophet. He's not god. Why is his behaviour relevant? Surely only god's words are relevant.

Oh for heavens sakes, why do Christians study Jesus' sermons or ask "What would Jesus do"? Mohammed is their prophet, they believe he was chosen by God, he's an important person.

I really shouldn't even be in here explaining this to anyone since:

A) not muslim

B) white guy from Wisconsin

But the ignorance in this thread is appalling.

Lime

And a powerful interview with a Muslim about the whole apology demand: http://religiondispatches.org/interview-with-a-muslim/

Q: Why do you hesitate?

A: If I condemn the attack I could make it seem like I’m justifying a collective guilt. That worries me.

[...]

Q: So where does this leave us? Do Muslims condemn terror?

A: If I speak, it is used against me, and if I do not speak, it is used against me. I condemn violence against the innocent. I think what happened in Paris was horrible. Do I need to say more?

Vire

Wow, and I thought the last thread regarding this topic couldn't get more hateful. You guys did it, congrats!

Dead

well not really...yet
Just read the words of the EIC of the magazine back in 2012

“I am not afraid of retaliations. I don’t have kids. I don’t have a wife, no car, no credit. It may seem pompous, but I’d rather die standing than live on my knees.”

A true god damn hero to freedom of speech. RIP. This whole massacre angers me to my fucking core.

Anjelus_

Wow, and I thought the last thread regarding this topic couldn't get more hateful. You guys did it, congrats!

I'm actually legitimately impressed by how thoroughly some people have disregarded and surpassed the warning in the original post.

Lime

I'm actually legitimately impressed by how thoroughly some people have disregarded and surpassed the warning in the original post.

People lose their shit and see red when tragedy takes place. Consequently, rash measures and decisions are enforced. We've seen it numerous times, e.g. 9/11. It's pretty horrible to witness, as if you're watching a train wreck occurring without anyone paying heed to the warnings and experiences.

FiggyCal

Banned
Explain Moderate Jews and Christians then.

They live in secular societies. Again, see Uganda (85% Christian) where being "aggressively gay" is punishable by death. And finidng fundamentalist Christians in the U.S. is not difficult; some 46% of Americans think the world is 6000 years old and they're generally not in favor of marriage equality. It should not come to a surprise that even less secular societies would hold even more extreme views.

And sane, knowlegeable Christians have come to understand that the Bible was not written by whoever's name the books are. We know that the apostles didn't write the gospels and we've somehow accepted that Jesus wiped out the old testament and those two thinks makes it infinitely easier to fit your own beliefs where the intolerant nonsense used to be. Muslims, having to adhere to the idea that the Qur'an is the literal word of God given to Muhammad don't have that same wiggle room imo.

There are millions of Jews that don't actually believe in God. That also makes it easier to be a "moderate".

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
how is the concept of free speech incredibly complex? by its very definition, free speech is about protecting the speech we disagree most with.

Thats old hat. You're not up on trigger warnings and whatnot?

As a Muslim I can say that those Cartoons offends me but I can state that freely without talking the violence route since this is completely inhuman.
If anyone read the Islamic History and how the Prophet dealt with people who made fun of him will understand that such acts were against his teachings.

Seeing how a Muslim lost his life in this tragedy shows that those terrorists are no more that just criminals. If there is a time to support moderate Islam this is the right time otherwise a bloody chaos might emerge that will affect everyone.

Only moderate Muslims are the one able to stop those extremist instead of someone who are considered as an outsider. The Saudi and UAE are currently fighting theoretically and physically those extremist warned about ISIS danger is going to affect the world.

ramuh

That is a shame. Because discourse is what is needed in situations such as these. We have to understand this extremist enemy to find a way to counteract and educate. I've always took the approach to look at the economics of it all. I'm wondering how these killers were raised and what did they do or not do with their lives. Etc.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Serious discussions of religion are not one of Gaf's many virtues on random boring days, and especially not in a thread about a religiously motivated massacre, so I suggest your time would be better spent standing on your head stacking greasy BBs.

Tetsuo9

Hopefully this isn't too soon and people will know that this is about not making the wrong take-away from this horrible event , but a necessary lesson in how free speech is incredibly complex: http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/20...-speech-does-not-mean-freedom-from-criticism/

B6whmqsCcAAsmmC.jpg

To simplify the attack on the Charlie Hebdo offices as “Good, Valiant Westerners vs. Evil, Savage Muslims” is not only racist, it’s dangerously overstated. Cartoonists (especially political cartoonists) generally reinforce the status quo, and they tend to be white men.

I understand that the point could stand in some ways, but in this particular case, the picture was made by chilean cartoonists (not white) from a bi-monthly political satire newslettet called "The clinic" (not the status quo) http://www.theclinic.cl/. So, not even close.

Lime

how is the concept of free speech incredibly complex? by its very definition, free speech is about protecting the speech we disagree most with.

Power relationships, punching down, freedom of speech does not mean freedom of criticism, etc. Just because this horrible thing has happened does not mean everyone has to condone or agree with their racist cartoons, which the article addresses. It might be too soon to address this aspect in the wake of the tragedy, but it's important that we don't rush to the wrong conclusions about freedom of speech.

But like I said, maybe this point is too soon so disregard if tempers are flared.

That is a shame. Because discourse is what is needed in situations such as these. We have to understand this extremist enemy to find a way to counteract and educate. I've always took the approach to look at the economics of it all. I'm wondering how these killers were raised and what did they do or not do with their lives. Etc.

to be honest, I don't think you can combat extremism. it will exists for as long as organized religion exists. look at extremist buddhist, christians, hindus, jews, muslims.

education and giving them money might help stop a few, but for the others, i really don't think you can.

Renzoku

Banned
Power relationships, punching down, freedom of speech does not mean freedom of criticism, etc. Just because this horrible thing has happened does not mean everyone has to condone or agree with their racist cartoons, which the article addresses. It might be too soon to address this aspect in the wake of the tragedy, but it's important that we don't rush to the wrong conclusions about freedom of speech.

But like I said, maybe this point is too soon so disregard if tempers are flared.

Criticism in this case came in the form of the murder of innocent people.

Fuck that noise.

You sound like you're pussyfooting around victim blaming at this point which is fucking disgusting.

TheJLC

As I said in the previous thread, this was a cowardly act. I stand by our French friends and know freedom of speech will prevail.

to be honest, I don't think you can combat extremism. it will exists for as long as organized religion exists. look at extremist buddhist, christians, hindus, jews, muslims.

education and giving them money might help stop a few, but for the others, i really don't think you can.

Religion is just another form of tribalism. It's not special. Take away my religion and I truly believe these problems would still exist and manifest in other ways.

reckless

What freedom of criticism? No one is saying that you have to agree with all of the magazine's cartoons, but everybody that supports free speech should agree with their ability to print the cartoons without the fear of violence.

Lime

Criticism in this case came in the form of the murder of innocent people.

Fuck that noise.

You sound like you're pussyfooting around victim blaming at this point which is fucking disgusting.

No no no, not at all. I was just talking about the concept of freedom of speech in case anyone was making the wrong take-away from these events. It's important to both say that this is a horrible tragic thing and that you don't necessarily have to support the cartoons.

ramuh

Just assume there is always going to be genetic anomalies (in humans) and fringes to every society. Yes I can agree that will always be the case. We aren't perfect by any means. Not society or peoples are. But I still believe it's both right and moral to at least try. Those that are extremist and want to attack our freedoms should be dealt with in the harshest legal manner.

Lime

What freedom of criticism? No one is saying that you have to agree with all of the magazine's cartoons, but everybody that supports free speech should agree with their ability to print the cartoons without the fear of violence.

Of course I totally agree

Religion is just another form of tribalism. It's not special. Take away my religion and I truly believe these problems would still exist and manifest in other ways.

why haven't they manifested in non-religious countries?

,Laos, Cambodia, Korea/Japan/China(if you don't count the muslim attacks recently), most of Europe, secular African countries, etc etc.

Just assume there is always going to be genetic anomalies (in humans) and fringes to every society. Yes I can agree that will always be the case. We aren't perfect by any means. Not society or peoples are. But I still believe it's both right and moral to at least try. Those that are extremist and want to attack our freedoms should be dealt with in the harshest legal manner.

that's teh thing. you can only deal with them after they've done something to show their extremism. you can't deal with them prior, or else you'll be prosecuting them for a crime they have not yet commit.

which is why i said you cannot fight religious extremism.

Renzoku

Banned

The problem is that the use of religion as justification comes with a certain sacredness that makes it harder to criticize.

If you criticize Israel's government for committing crimes against humanity and genocide, you're labeled an anti-semite. If you criticize these animals for what they did, people like Lime tell you that you're a racist, anti-immigration, white supremacist, etc.

A Nazi can't say "God told me it was ok", he can only say "Hitler told me it was ok". That doesn't carry the same weight. A North Korean prison guard can only say "Kim told me it was ok".

jtb

Banned

eh. I think the article is attacking a straw man. They're free to call recently slain people racist assholes, I personally don't even think that's tasteless. But I think jumping to the conclusion that this outpouring of support for the magazine is condoning their messages and cartoons is the complete opposite and wrong one to draw. supporting the magazine under the name of "freedom of speech" isn't saying they agree with the message, it's saying everyone should always have access to the neutral space that is free expression—particularly if you disagree with them. and likewise, freedom of speech also means that Muslims can access that space and provide their own rhetoric in retort.

freedom of speech is, by definition, the very mechanism by which criticism can occur. as an argument, it's nonsensical.

I think Don Lemon asked The Muslim Guy about half an hour ago if he supports ISIS or not. Dude was like "um, excuse me?" lol

Lime

eh. I think the article is attacking a straw man. They're free to call recently slain people racist assholes, I personally don't even think that's tasteless. But I think jumping to the conclusion that this outpouring of support for the magazine is condoning their messages and cartoons is the complete opposite and wrong one to draw. supporting the magazine under the name of "freedom of speech" isn't saying they agree with the message, it's saying everyone should always have access to the neutral space that is free expression—particularly if you disagree with them. and likewise, freedom of speech also means that Muslims can access that space and provide their own rhetoric in retort.

I see your point, thanks. I've just experienced today by other people here in Europe that if you're not supporting and agreeing with the cartoons, you're against freedom of speech. But it's super complex and it's really sensitive at right now so it was probably dumb of me to even touch that conversation, especially when it's a straw man to some.

why haven't they manifested in non-religious countries?

,Laos, Cambodia, Korea/Japan/China(if you don't count the muslim attacks recently), most of Europe, secular African countries, etc etc.

You're not looking hard enough or far back enough. What about the secular communist movements in China and Russia of the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom