• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm I clearly remember calls for the kids life after the Boston bombing and IIRC he's up for the death penalty. I'm genuinely against the death penalty. I'm genuinely impressed he's able to think past revenge. I'm not pushing a meme.

And I'm sure there are french people calling for death. I just dislike the multiple comments that seems to bring Americans into this conversation only to say their bloodthirsty revenge seekers.

Not banning them or asking governments to outlaw them, and not calling for their death.

And respecting the other view becsuse if there is a lack of respect for the other view, then there will be future consequences in opposition to the view by a build up of lack of respect correct?

So what is your definition of tolerance of opposing views

Tolerance means recognizing that other people have different views and beliefs than your own and that you acknowledge their right to hold and express those views publicly.

It doesn't mean kowtowing to the individual sensibilities of different groups in an effort to be inoffensive. It means accepting the rights of individuals to exist with views opposing your own even if you find it offensive.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And respecting the other view becsuse if there is a lack of respect for the other view, then there will be future consequences in opposition to the view by a build up of lack of respect correct?

completely disagree with this. So I should respect religious people's view that gay people should be shun and tried to be fixed?

this is exactly the same reasoning right wings christians have been using in the US. tolerant of our intolerant view.

let's respect racist people for being racist can be another example of what you're saying.

And I'm sure there are french people calling for death. I just dislike the multiple comments that seems to bring Americans into this conversation only to say their bloodthirsty revenge seekers.

Compared to Europe we are? Maybe one day we won't kill people for their crimes and your sensibilities won't get bothered.

The American media is a lost cause. Sensationalism reigns.

This has been known for a while.

This guy is a Brit.

Gotta hear both sides!

This is literally what you clicked on. They two people take "opposing sides"

Compared to Europe we are? Maybe one day we won't kill people for their crimes and your sensibilities won't get bothered.

I'm against the death penalty FYI.

But this is stupid statement that has nothing to do with the reaction to this event. The US and European responses in the immediate aftermath were pretty much the same. solidarity with the victims, as it is in pretty much every country on earth.

completely disagree with this. So I should respect religious people's view that gay people should be shun and tried to be fixed?

this is exactly the same reasoning right wings christians have been using in the US. tolerant of our intolerant view.

let's respect racist people for being racist can be another example of what you're saying.

No you shouldn't respect those people but would you disrespect those who respect gay people yet hold the same religious belief just because they hold same religious belief. We are referring to respecting nonhateful views not hateful views and tolerating all other views while not respecting them

No? You keep weaseling around with these disingenuous quotes and arguments attempting to claim you are for free expression, but then not really if we take you at face value.

Your argument seems to be that we must respect everything, or else us not doing do will lead to those we don't respect inflicting consequences, and therefore those consequences are justified. I'd believe that this is not your view if you hadn't already danced around this concept in 50 posts already, and not posted quotes over and over that justify outlawing banning and reacting with violence to ideas with which you don't agree.

Grizzo

I kinda know someone who works for Charlie Hebdo. Well I met her a few times through some common friends. I knew she was fine because she retweeted something in the middle of the afternoon but she didn't speak up until tonight, through a Facebook post. Needless to say, she's deeply affected by all those losses, most of whom were friends of her.

What a sad day this has been.

No? You keep weaseling around with these disingenuous quotes and arguments attempting to claim you are for free expression, but then not really if we take you at face value.

Your argument seems to be that we must respect everything, or else us not doing do will lead to those we don't respect inflicting consequences, and therefore those consequences are justified. I'd believe that this is not your view if you hadn't already danced around this concept in 50 posts already, and not posted quotes over and over that justify outlawing banning and reacting with violence to ideas with which you don't agree.

I tried to justify violence against ideas ? Where? Are you suggesting I tried justifying Murder of 12 innocent people ?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Your view on this is frightening, to say the least.

A6M3

Banned
Islam is a problem. the religion is just full of violence and no forgiveness, the extremists are just following the Koran... i have a lot of Muslims and christian arab friends im also half arab and i don't think my Muslim friends even know what they follow all they listen to is what the sheikhs say... my christian Arab friends all ran here from the violence in middle east, two of them are even ex Muslims that converted and got threats from there own family to kill them... i mean the religion treats women like dog shit... (you can beat ur wife for not having sex with you, you can sleep with infants...etc) and im sick of every Muslim caring about saving there religions name rather than acknowledge the fact that it happened and people died, but no they sit there only covering there own ass... i'm also sick of kids not being able to put on a shirt that says i love jesus, but can put on a shirt thats full on islamic... wtf happend to america.

Alucrid

Banned
No you shouldn't respect those people but would you disrespect those who respect gay people yet hold the same religious belief just because they hold same religious belief. We are referring to respecting nonhateful views not hateful views and tolerating all other views while not respecting them

So we should respect people who "respect" gay people but due to their religious beliefs, believe gay people should not "perform homosexual acts in public"?

I don't get what you're asking. You're going round about and round about.

Maybe I'll make this simple: If another person has an intolerant view, then I dont need to tolerate their intolerance and i will not respect them and no one else should.

Abrahamic religions (Jews, christians, and muslims) are intolerant towards gay people. That's a fact. So, for everyone that believes in such idea, I will not respect them or tolerate their idea.

not a hard concept.

I tried to justify violence against ideas ? Where? Are you suggesting I tried justifying Murder of 12 innocent people ?
Either you aren't reading your own replies, or don't understand the arguments you are making. Start with the post I quoted.

And no, since you edited, I didn't say you justified the murders.

Anjem Choudhary is scum. The fuck USA Today is doing. Are they that desperate for hits after their disaster of a website overhaul?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I like this one.

G0sXdc5.jpg

Not to derail the thread but its kinda weird that last month 100 or so Pakistan students were shot and nobody really cared and this is breaking news all over the world. Have we just become desensitized over the horrors that happen there frequently?

In my honest opinion, the media didn't have much in terms of narrative and back story to set headlines. If you follow events in those parts of the world, suicide bombings on governement checkpoints are unfortunately not rare and the attack kind of got notched to another shitty situation for the country

But this attack, it has that öompah to drive headlines, we know that in the past these cartoons have set off protests around the world and the death threats have followed, so when this shit hit the fan it kind provides a robust avenue for views and what not.

I agree that its disgusting.

So we should respect people who "respect" gay people but due to their religious beliefs, believe gay people should not "perform homosexual acts in public"?

Wtf are you talking about. 90% don't act sexually as US police will arrest people for indecent exposure, are you opposed to that arrest too ? By public I meant PUBLIC in the view of everyone

Wtf are you talking about. 90% don't act sexually as US police will arrest people for indecent exposure, are you opposed to that arrest too ? By public I meant PUBLIC in the view of everyone
Where is this happening that you feel the need to condemn it so specifically? This is such a non point.

A liberal respects ones right to hold an opinion/view. They don't have to respect the viewpoint itself. What are you not getting here?
I guess I have a different view that if a person holds a belief not harming anyone it should be respect even if you don't hold that belief yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom