• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

So they caught one already? Just saw on CNN the youngest one surrendered. Did he turn himself in or did the police catch him?

vityaz

So they caught one already? Just saw on CNN the youngest one surrendered. Did he turn himself in or did the police catch him?

Turned himself in after seeing his name in the news/social media. Supposedly he was at school during the attacks, and his classmates posted this on twitter. But at the same time people are saying he already graduated. Also seen some posts about how there might be another guy with the same name, and they got the wrong person. Kind of too early to tell.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Or, people can talk about the media reaction to events, and you can ignore posts that hurt your head.

Sure they can but there have been more quotes to me questioning the stupid Foxnews segment than this quote:

"Our job is not to defend freedom of speech but without it we're dead. We can't live in a country without freedom of speech. I prefer to die than to live like a rat," Charbonnier told ABC News.

Instead of focusing on a random newsclip I'd prefer to focus on the victims, why they were killed and the justification a religion gave them for their murders.

Sure they can but there have been more quotes to me questioning the stupid Foxnews segment than this quote:

Instead of focusing on a random newsclip I'd prefer to focus on the victims, why they were killed and the justification a religion gave them for their murders.

What else is there to say? The attack is a tragedy, any sane person will say that. It's been discussed.

Lime

A religion didn't give them justification for the murders. It's a lot more complex than that.

It's also incredibly important how we talk about Muslim Europeans, and especially Arab-Europeans, because how we address the issue colors the way we perceive people. And especially Muslim Europeans are having a really tough time these days, because the way that media and the public construct them, prejudice, generalizations and racism are culled.

Aspiring

Why is so much emotion given to some garbage early morning talk show as opposed to the attacks themselves?

You're getting away from the point.

Cartoonists and innocents were killed, in the name of religion, because they drew pictures of Mohammed and you're focusing on FoxNews?

This has nothing to do with FoxNews, and it's garbage programming, no matter how much you try to change the subject.

No I am not. We are discussing how people all around the world are coming to terms with this event.

It is really terrible and all my emotion is on the innocent lives and their families. Always first and foremost.

Its just as a non American without Fox news I am just blown away by how they can be. Sorry if it was disrespectful in anyway.

More Arabic caricatures

Amro-Selim_001-12-15.jpg

Terrorist: You better behave otherwise you're going to get the same treatment that was done by our colleagues to Charlie Hebdo
Poster: "No for terrorism"

Khalil-Abouarafeh_003-01-15.jpg

Pawel-kuczynski_002-01-15.jpg

Sahar-Burhan_02-12-15.jpg

Caption: Living together

unnamed-14.jpg

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

The police found the ID of one of the gunmen in the car they abandoned. Most likely it was the one who surrendered himself.

Arksy

The police found the ID of one of the gunmen in the car they abandoned. Most likely it was the one who surrendered himself.

Well we don't quite know the story about the person who has turned themselves in. The two gunmen from the videos have been identified because they found their IDs in a car. Whether they left them behind deliberately or mistakenly we don't know.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Well we don't quite know the story about the person who has turned themselves in. The two gunmen from the videos have been identified because they found their IDs in a car. Whether they left them behind deliberately or mistakenly we don't know.

Yep, misread that part. I assume they made a mistake since they could launch more attacks if they remained anonymous.

Dead Man

So focus on that and stop policing what other people are supposed to be talking about. That is why your inane post is dominating instead of the ones you want discussed. Discuss them instead of telling other people what to post about.

Arksy

Yep, misread that part. I assume they made a mistake since they could launch more attacks if they remained anonymous.

To me it's rather weird that both IDs would be left behind unless they were both in a single bag or something.

Flo_Evans

For how sophisticated the attack was that seems very sloppy. It seems to me they expected to not escape, or planted the IDs.

Doczu

How utterly stupid do you have to be to take your ID on such raid? No, seriously. How. Stupid?

Day 2. It still seems so unreal, and it still sucks so much. Everyone had a long face on the way to work but this might just be our usual Parisian mood.

Bonjour tristesse.

(Props to the moderation team for ending the shitshow the previous thread had turned into)

liger05

There's a twitter tag #KillAllMuslim?

Oh my............. -_______________-

Yep and people can tweet whatever they want with no reprisal.

If there was one saying killalljews or Christians and Muslims were tweeting it wouldn't take long to either get account closed or the police at the door.

DonMigs85

I feel bad for the cartoonists, but they were really playing with fire here. Sadly, it's just the world we live in.

coleco

Another shooting reported south of Paris just now. One cop injured. Maybe unrelated. Information not clear.

Pandemic

BREAKING: Two cops have been shot by a man wielding a machine gun south of Paris.

AFP news agency says the incident involved two municipal police officers in Châtillon.

The shooting took place 8:06 Paris time - with the gunman
fleeing onto the Metro.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Edit: Wait, Machinegun?! wow crazy. I hope the incident ends without further casualties.

It's mostly populated by people reacting to the hashtag.

A human centipede indeed.

That brings up an interesting discussion on twitter-etiquette that I won't get into here. When responding to morons, perhaps not including the hatetag would be nice. Anyway, enough about that.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
BREAKING: Two cops have been shot by a man wielding a machine gun south of Paris.

AFP news agency says the incident involved two municipal police officers in Châtillon.

fleeing onto the Metro.

link?

fleeing onto the Metro.

Fucking hell not again.

Kabouter

fleeing onto the Metro.

Dutch news site saying no link to yesterday's attacks.

is it easy to get machine guns in the black market in france? or in any country in the EU?

The proximity of the Balkan wars and porous borders have unfortunately made military weapons remarkable easy to procure. Furthermore, a lot gets smuggled in to the EU through Moldova, Transnistria in particular being infamous as a conduit for weapon smuggling.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
is it easy to get machine guns in the black market in france? or in any country in the EU?

It's easy, once you have the right connections. The collapse of the USSR and more recently former Yugoslavia has led to a big black market for military grade weapons.

Is it me or is it awfully quick to decide if it's related or not (in one way or the other)

The wording is 'no confirmed link to yesterday's assault'.

I'm also readng they made an arrest at the second shooting in Porte de Chatillon (south Paris), possibly two police officers wounded.

cripterion

2 cops were shot this morning in Chatillon (Paris banlieue) by a guy that appeared to have a bulletproof jacket, they don't know if it's related to what happened yesterday...

coleco

Maybe they were just some random criminals that ran into a police check point, now that security measures have been raised after yesterday's attack.

Joni

Le Figaro specifies African origin and opposes it against the 'Magrehebin' origin of the terrorists. It is likely they mean sub-saharan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom