• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marc Burleigh ‏@marcburleigh 2m2 minutes ago
The 2 brothers wanted over Paris #CharlieHebdo attack were spotted at a service station near the town of Villers-Cotteret, source says #AFP

Beefy

Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 3m3 minutes ago
#BREAKING Two armed suspects in Paris magazine shooting 'located' in north France: sources

Details

7 people connected with the shooting have been arrested (including the brother in law of the two still not found). Two gunman remain at large, they have been named as Cherif and Said Kouachi.

spekkeh

Banned
He's kind of missing the point. It's not about "not liking it here", it's one action in a broader war that's currently underway in a number of different places globally - Afghanistan, Syria, France.

Participants don't see it as a fight against France, in France, but rather as defending their values against Western imperialism. Yes, they're not just defending, but attempting to propagate their values, but we also attempt to propagate our values. We take a different approach though.

So given that they are French born, basically what you're saying is it's islamic imperialism.

Xando

My roommate is already talking about going to war in yemen if they really are from al qaida yemen.
People are so stupid sometimes.

Beefy

The muslim public affairs commitee member Asghar Bukhari on Sky news is annoying as fuck. He says it is ok to to have satire pieces about christianity etc but not for Islam. His reason is because only muslims are demonised and they suffer the most....

He also says muslims are treated as less human

chadskin

More:

The two men were said to be in a grey Renault Clio with number plates covered up wearing balaclavas. Weapons could reportedly be seen in the back of the vehicle travelling away from Paris on the RN2 motorway near Villers-Cotteret.

There are conflicting reports that either a road toll camera or a petrol station worker raised the alarm and that a Kalashnikov and a rocket launcher was clearly visible in the back of the vehicle.

Witnesses tweeted that the road has been closed to traffic.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-arrests-in-manhunt-for-suspects-live-updates

The bells of cathedral Notre Dame de Paris are going to toll for the victims. That's so ironic considering they were visceral anarchists and anti-religious/anticlericals.

My roommate is already talking about going to war in yemen if they really are from al qaida yemen.
People are so stupid sometimes.

THat's what they want people to do. To be afraid and be violent.
Let's not give them this pleasure.
I hope they will get caught alive and judge.
And then they will die in isolation in prison.

Lime

The muslim public affairs commitee member Ashgar Bukhari on Sky news is annoying as fuck. He says it is ok to to have satire pieces about christianity etc but not for Islam. His reason is because only muslims are demonised and they suffer the most....

Well, you have to understand that being a Muslim in Europe (and looking like someone usually from the MiddleEast) is incredibly tough with a lot of stigma, discrimination, racism, etc. You constantly are called out in the media and people talk about "Muslims" as if it's some sort of singular mindset.

I think it's possible to meet him some of the way in regards to how their life as Europeans are characterised. I'm not listening to what he's saying, but the point about being demonised is perfectly understandable, I think.

chadskin

Le Figaro reports, citing police sources, that the suspects robbed a service station and stole gas as well as food. They then drove off, heading to the Départements Seine-et-Marne. An employee of the service station said he saw a Kalashnikov and a rocket launcher in the car.

coleco

The muslim public affairs commitee member Ashgar Bukhari on Sky news is annoying as fuck. He says it is ok to to have satire pieces about christianity etc but not for Islam. His reason is because only muslims are demonised and they suffer the most....

Some just don't seem to understand. Sad.

Hanmik

Le Figaro reports, citing police sources, that the suspects robbed a service station and stole gas as well as food. They then drove off, heading to the Départements Seine-et-Marne. An employee of the service station said he saw a Kalashnikov and a rocket launcher in the car.

ehh news you know..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/2-suspects-in-paris/1577014.html

PARIS: Two brothers suspected of having gunned down 12 people in a terror attack on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo were spotted Thursday (Jan 8) morning and are armed, sources close to the manhunt said.

The manager of a petrol station near Villers-Cotteret in the northern Aisne region "recognised the two men suspected of having participated in the attack against Charlie Hebdo", the source said.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So would tanks be necessary? A simple roadblock isn't going to stop rocket launchers.

A simple RPG could ruin most if not all armoured carriers used by the police. Keep in mind that APCs and lightly armoured vehicles are only meant to survive small caliber gunfire. And a tank (which would need to be moved from whatever army base is located) is of no use unless you plan to level the entire block.

Bringing a rocket launcher to the table means that the police are not going to take any chances. It's going to be difficult to catch them alive.

Pope Francis: prayers for victims of Paris attack

(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis offered prayers on Thursday morning, especially for the victims of the deadly terror attack on the Charlie Hebdo satirical review in Paris on Wednesday. Speaking during daily Mass in the chapel of the Santa Marta residence in the Vatican, the Holy Father said, "[Wednesday's] terror attack in Paris brings to mind so much cruelty - human cruelty - so much terrorism, both isolated [incidents of] terrorism and of state terrorism," adding, "of how much cruelty is man capable!" Pope Francis went on to say, "We pray, in this Mass, for the victims of this cruelty - so many of them - and we pray also for the perpetrators of such cruelty, that the Lord might change their heart."

http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-prayers-for-victims-of-paris-attack

Hopefully they will be stopped before they carry out another attack.

Beefy

Well, you have to understand that being a Muslim in Europe (and looking like someone usually from the MiddleEast) is incredibly tough with a lot of stigma, discrimination, racism, etc. You constantly are called out in the media and people talk about "Muslims" as if it's some sort of singular mindset.

I think it's possible to meet him some of the way in regards to how their life as Europeans are characterised. I'm not listening to what he's saying, but the point about being demonised is perfectly understandable, I think.

It's the way he is putting it across, not what he is saying. He said the killings were just a war on terror and looked like he really didn't give a shit about them.

Edit: looked up about the guy and seems he has history of not giving a shit about other peoples views. Even attacking people who don't agree with him. So sad when a news channel give people like him a platform.

pswii60

Being a Christian in the Middle East can be tough too.

A simple RPG could ruin most if not all armoured carriers used by the police. Keep in mind that APCs and lightly armoured vehicles are only meant to survive small caliber gunfire. And a tank (which would need to be moved from whatever army base is located) is of no use unless you plan to level the entire block.

Bringing a rocket launcher to the table means that the police are not going to take any chances. It's going to be difficult to catch them alive.
It's scary. Even using a sharpshooter as mentioned above would still require setting up in an area you know they'll be headed which would also require road blocks to funnel them to that area. And if you wanted to slow them down or get them to stop, you don't want oridinary vehicles with exposed police being used.

Joni

Marine Le Pen (FN) wants to hold a referendum on the introduction of the death penalty.
Filip De Winter (Vlaams Belang, Belgium) is tweeting the death threats he got after yesterday.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

An RPG is usually single shot, though, IIRC. So you throw up a roadblock, 5 cars deep, watch them crash.

Sakujou

Banned
you know the situation in europe these days is already not good. european people suspect everyone who looks the slightest into not looking european that you could be someone bad.

i hope this wont end like 1933-1945 :(

Xando

Wait so they attack in paris, drive out of Paris, go to a gas station and...head back to Paris?

Sounds like they have nothing to lose (The whole continent is searching for them) and want to end this one way or another. Hopefully nothing happens.

Lime

Being a Christian in the Middle East can be tough too.

What's your point?

you know the situation in europe these days is already not good. european people suspect everyone who looks the slightest into not looking european that you could be someone bad.

I'm understand where you are coming from, but luckily things aren't *that* bad.

Also: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/w...ous-moment-for-europe.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Hrothgar

Talk about blatant exaggerations. Stuff like this really isn't necessary.

Xando

You have no idea what happened in european politics 1933-1945 do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom