• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
An RPG can be used for multiple shots. You just need to reload after every shot.

How much time does one need to reload, on average? Is there time enough to blast through a blockade, say, 5 cars deep? Wouldn't the explosion damage the road to a point where a Clio would break just by driving over it?

you know the situation in europe these days is already not good. european people suspect everyone who looks the slightest into not looking european that you could be someone bad.

i hope this wont end like 1933-1945 :(

This is absolute nonsense and a gross generalization.

SmokyDave

you know the situation in europe these days is already not good. european people suspect everyone who looks the slightest into not looking european that you could be someone bad.

Thank goodness this second thread was opened for adult and reasonable discussion.

Are you sure?
Are you serious?

How the fuck are you (of all people) going to support that generalisation?

Klyka

Banned

Sorry man, but as a German working in a Betting Center where my customers are 80%+ "not European looking" this is overreacting on your part.

Europe isn't about to explode over this, there is a small but vocal minority and the media loves their scare stories.

MacNille

Banned
How much time does one need to reload, on average? Is there time enough to blast through a blockade, say, 5 cars deep? Wouldn't the explosion damage the road to a point where a Clio would break just by driving over it?

If the shooter have experience, you can shot another shot in around ten sec if you know what you are doing.

Midas

I wonder where in the UK you could buy a copy of Charlie Hebdo from?

Larger magazine shops usually have foreign magazines. Larger train stations, that big one in London perhaps? The one I for some reason can't remember the name of. Victoria?

potam

Banned

an RPG isn't going to blow a hole through a blockade. All that would result is burning cars which weren't moved.

Not sure if The Onion's response has been posted here yet, but here you go:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/it-sadly-unclear-whether-this-article-will-put,37715/

The overall article isn't that great, but the last paragraph is nice:

At press time, although the consequences of this article are reportedly still unclear and actual human lives may hang in the balance, sources confirmed that the best thing to do—really the only thing to do—is to simply put it out there and just hope that it does some good.

chadskin

The situation in Southern Paris, connected to the shooting earlier today in Montrouge, looks to be over. No arrests have apparently been made. Shooter or shooters are still on the loose.

B60pfgyIgAADnO2.jpg

https://twitter.com/chefreporterNRW/status/553143977005023232/photo/1

Ikael

He's kind of missing the point. It's not about "not liking it here", it's one action in a broader war that's currently underway in a number of different places globally - Afghanistan, Syria, France.

Participants don't see it as a fight against France, in France, but rather as defending their values against Western imperialism. Yes, they're not just defending, but attempting to propagate their values, but we also attempt to propagate our values. We take a different approach though.

Outside of Bush mongolic invasion of Iraq, the West, and specially France's interventions abroad our frontiers have always been, first and foremost, about business.

Yihadism, however, is something else entirely, me thinks. It is first and foremost about ideology, not economic interests, and it aims to transform the societies where they operate, not to merely occupy them. Which is why they are yihadists and not a regular guerrilla. These are not your South African rebels or your Colombian Contras.

One has to take a deep look into how much progressive and modern the Middle East countries used to be before the Wahabbi / salafi religious-political movements took power over there powered by a mix of Saudi funding and yes, yihadist terror. The transformation that these societies have took since the 60s is nothing but fucking atrocious. Death would be a preferably option over the absolute infamous medieval regression that yihadists perpetrated over countries like Egypt, Afganistan or Lebannon. That putrid shit of an ideology must be fought with each and very breathe of ours.

Interesting article:

‘Je suis Charlie’? No, You’re Not, or Else You Might Be Dead

One of the spontaneous social-media reactions to the Charlie Hebdo massacre today was the Twitter hashtag #JeSuisCharlie ("I am Charlie"). It's an admirable sentiment, resonant with the classic post-9/11 Le Monde cover "Nous sommes tous Americains." It's also totally inaccurate.

If we—all of us, any of us—were Charlie Hebdo, here are some of the things that we might do:

• Not just print original satirical cartoons taking the piss out of Islamic-terrorist sensibilities, but do so six days after you were firebombed for taking the piss out of Islamic-terrorist sensibilities (pictured), and do so in such a way that's genuinely funny (IMO) and even touching, with the message "Love is stronger than hate."
  • Not just print original cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad—a historical figure, lest we forget—but then defending and winning the right to do so after being charged with offensive speech.
  • Not just survive such crucibles, but stubbornly resist letting them consume your very being, either by becoming an anti-Islamist obsessive, or a semi-apologetic convert (remember: even the unfathomably brave Salman Rushdie converted to Islam for a while there), or disappearing yourself in the witness protection program, a la the Seattle alt-weekly cartoonist Molly Norris. Charlie Hebdo kept being what it has always been—a satirical, juvenile, and funny check on power and authority and pomposity of all stripes. Do a Google Image search on "Charlie Hebdo" and "Jesus," and then ask yourself which media entity in this Culture-War-scarred country, with its stronger free-speech protections, would have the courage and latitude to blaspheme both major religions.
Look at the cover of this recent http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTbcJ21dgqz3HmA3eChXyWOLfJmHlYaL1u06mDpYJZFn4fFf83dg, which sits proudly on my desk: Those aren't the heads of ancient religions, those are heads of the French state, dressed up like gangsters. The newspaper didn't just run cartoons, it blasted authority and piety of all stripes, beginning with the pompous asses who tend to run France, and the equally pompous (but more subservient) hacks in the national press. The paper actually got its start in 1970 when another satirical publication was shuttered for its disrespect at the funeral of Charles De Gaulle. It frequently published stuff that most journalists know, but are too afraid to stand by.

The cartoonists who were killed today—Wolinski, Cabu, Tignous, Charb—were some of the most beloved figures in modern French life. Contra some of the nonsense being mouthed today by fools on Twitter, these weren't some kind of Andrew Dice Clay acts looking for ever-more vulnerable minorities to kick; Cabu, for instance, is most famous for creating the provincial, typical-French character Mon Beauf, who he mocks for being crude and bigoted toward minorities. My French father-in-law, whose Gaullist-flavored politics were certainly satirized by Cabu over the years, said that today felt like being stabbed in the heart.

So no, we're all not Charlie—few of us are that good, and none of us are that brave. If more of us were brave, and refused to yield to the bomber's veto, and maybe reacted to these eternally recurring moments not by, say, deleting all your previously published Muhammad images, as the Associated Press is reportedly doing today, but rather by routinely posting newsworthy images in service both to readers and the commitment to a diverse and diffuse marketplace of speech, then just maybe Charlie Hebdo wouldn't have stuck out so much like a sore thumb. It's harder, and ultimately less rewarding to the fanatical mind, to hit a thousand small targets than one large one.

And it's not just those of us in the media business who have failed to be Charlie Hebdo. Every person in the broader West, whether it be a Financial Times editor or the president of the United States, who wrongly thinks that speech should not offend, and falsely believes that artistic commentary can somehow incite murderous violence, are also contributing to an ever-worsening cultural climate of speech, and therefore freedom.

Today is an awful day for the basic project of free inquiry. Do you really wanna be Charlie Hebdo? Then get on out there, live and speak bravely. And God help you.
http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/07/je-suis-charlie-no-youre-not-or-else-you

It's the way he is putting it across, not what he is saying. He said the killings were just a war on terror and looked like he really didn't give a shit about them.

Edit: looked up about the guy and seems he has history of not giving a shit about other peoples views. Even attacking people who don't agree with him. So sad when a news channel give people like him a platform.

At least it wasn't Anjem :tremendous cunt' Choudary.

Saying that, doesn't sound like this chap is any better. I really do wonder how Sky News dig these people up/willingly give them a platform to air their nonsense.

The RPG-7 needs around 15 seconds between firing.

Every entrance to Paris have been blocked by the Police, It's the first time it happened as far as I can remember.

Source: BFMTV

Xando

Are you sure? Not even in some cases? (assuming we define European as not looking like a typical person from the Middle-East or non-White)

I don't even know what to answer to posts like this anymore.

Comparing today to the 1930s... you have no idea what happened in the 1930s do you?

Every entrance to Paris have been blocked by the Police, It's the first time it happened as far as I can remember.

Source: BFMTV

They will lockdown paris, no one will be able to get in or out.

A BFMTV analyst is saying that the terrorists' returning to Paris might be a desperate, final act of aggression by the terrorists. They might want to kill some more policemen and choose the time of their death.

Another one is saying that leaving Paris might have been a way for them to resupply before committing more attacks - they were reportedly seen with a rocket launcher today but they didn't have one yesterday.

Sakujou

Banned
Talk about blatant exaggerations. Stuff like this really isn't necessary.

you know, i have dark skin colour (south asia), but iam not religious. some people come up and ask if i am a muslim. iam not religious (i believe in videogames) but just think about how muslims have to feel about this kind of approach.

this simply sucks.

and you know the attacks on jews also increased here in europe.

so there is to a certain extent some kind of clash of the cultures going on these days :(

Juicy Bob

Larger magazine shops usually have foreign magazines. Larger train stations, that big one in London perhaps? The one I for some reason can't remember the name of. Victoria?
Hmmm maybe. Although I really can't be bothered to go to London at the best of times, let alone just to pick up a magazine...

Flintty

Are you sure? Not even in some cases? (assuming we define European as not looking like a typical person from the Middle-East or non-White)

The Uk has been the subject of immigration for decades, we had hundreds of Indians come here after the collapse of the empire. Whilst there were difficulties at first, they are now a big part of UK culture.

Whilst there is a minority against foreigners most are made to feel welcome.

Beefy

At least it wasn't Anjem :tremendous cunt' Choudary.

Saying that, doesn't sound like this chap is any better. I really do wonder how Sky News dig these people up/willingly give them a platform to air their nonsense.

They had him in the studio with a freedom of speech lady, a reporter from The Sun and another guy but I didn't catch what he did all by live stream. The guy (I can't remember) ripped Asghar apart calling him a hate preacher and other things, which made Asghar get angry and rant about meeting face to face. The same guy then had a go at Sky for letting a guy like Asghar have his view and basically spitting on the dead.

Sakujou

Banned
Sorry man, but as a German working in a Betting Center where my customers are 80%+ "not European looking" this is overreacting on your part.

Europe isn't about to explode over this, there is a small but vocal minority and the media loves their scare stories.

i hope you are right. the problem is, that terrorists announced last year, that there will be a lot of things going on in europe in january.

seeing this shit makes me a bit nervous.

also mosque-attacking become quite frequent in the last few years.

i actually would love to stop reading these kind of bad news.

It's really scary, I hope they'll be caught alive.

There are cops in tactical gear on ambush all over the access to inner Paris. The tv shows crazy footage. If their car come by it won't be pretty. Hope they can catch them alive by I guess they won't go without a fight

Kouriozan

There are cops in tactical gear on ambush all over the access to inner Paris. The tv shows crazy footage. If their car come by it won't be pretty. Hope they can catch them alive by I guess they won't go without a fight
Yes, I understand.
We already have enough deaths, but if the cops are in danger they won't have any choices.

chadskin

20min.fr reports, citing sources in the French Ministry of Interior, that charges against the third suspect, 18-year old Hamyd Mourad, have apparently been dropped. He said he was in school during the attacks on Charlie Hebdo.

The Uk has been the subject of immigration for decades, we had hundreds of Indians come here after the collapse of the empire. Whilst there were difficulties at first, they are now a big part of UK culture.

Whilst there is a minority against foreigners most are made to feel welcome.

Wasn't the nationalist party in France polling really well before all this even happened? The same party that supports a moratorium on immigration?

Stuff like this could get them more support.

Yes, I understand.
We already have enough deaths, but if the cops are in danger they won't have any choices.

I wish the go down without taking any more lives really. I really feel for all our cops today being on full alter for 24hours and now waiting under heavy rain for a showdown

Kabouter

20min.fr reports, citing sources in the French Ministry of Interior, that charges against the third suspect, 18-year old Hamyd Mourad, have apparently been dropped. He said he was in school during the attacks on Charlie Hebdo.

So then they still have no idea who the third assailant even was?

The muslim public affairs commitee member Asghar Bukhari on Sky news is annoying as fuck. He says it is ok to to have satire pieces about christianity etc but not for Islam. His reason is because only muslims are demonised and they suffer the most....

He also says muslims are treated as less human
I see what he is saying. Satires on Muslims will hurt them more because they are already outside of the cultural hegemony. That's understandable, not a god excuse for killings or banning of free speech, but a good point.

potam

Banned

Oh yeah I saw that yesterday. His classmates were even tweeting that he was there all day. I'll see if I can find them on reddit

edit: http://lapauseinfo.fr/mourad-hamyd-3eme-suspect-de-lattaque-contre-charlie-hebdo-7965/

These are the only two that were translated on reddit:

@JazzyKingg
"Mourad Hamyd wrongly accused, he was ongoing at the time of the facts, his classmates can attest !!" #MouradHamydInnocent
https://mobile.twitter.com/JazzyKingg/status/552948770846281729

@lyonnaisgourmet
Either there are 2 Mourad Hamyd living in Charleville and born the same day and the same year, there confused.# CharlieHebdo
https://mobile.twitter.com/lyonnaisgourmet/status/552962507946876928

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom