• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midas

Some of the Italian front pages (the usual suspects) are disgusting.

GIlGiornaleB.jpg

Islamic Butchers

GLiberoB.jpg

This is Islam

Italy, please...

Beefy

I see what he is saying. Satires on Muslims will hurt them more because they are already outside of the cultural hegemony. That's understandable, not a god excuse for killings or banning of free speech, but a good point.

I can't agree with a person that had a go at another muslim for not being black enough. Seems he is just scum.

At least 3 military helicopters in the sky over Paris tracking / looking for the car. With the low clouds and heavy rain, good luck with that

Flintty

Wasn't the nationalist party in France polling really well before all this even happened? The same party that supports a moratorium on immigration?

Stuff like this could get them more support.

I don't know to be honest. The UK Independence Party has been gaining in popularity but I wouldn't say that was driven by suspicion of immigrants, moreso by the fact that the country is at capacity and the incompetence of the big three party's.

20min.fr reports, citing sources in the French Ministry of Interior, that charges against the third suspect, 18-year old Hamyd Mourad, have apparently been dropped. He said he was in school during the attacks on Charlie Hebdo.

Smart move from him to turn himself in, then. Better to be cleared early than being the victim of a judicial error.

And I kinda expected that he was innocent - a terrorist wouldn't have surrendered.

Kathian

Banned
I see what he is saying. Satires on Muslims will hurt them more because they are already outside of the cultural hegemony. That's understandable, not a god excuse for killings or banning of free speech, but a good point.

Except in most Muslim Majority countries it would not be acceptable. Also you can only stop something by force either legally or illegally. E.g. people can do what they want.

Oh yeah I saw that yesterday. His classmates were even tweeting that he was there all day. I'll see if I can find them on reddit

So what's the story? They say he turned himself in but why? Were cops even looking for him?

Sounds like a clusterfuck of a witch hunt going on over there.

At least 3 military helicopters in the sky over Paris tracking / looking for the car. With the low clouds and heavy rain, good luck with that

If it's anything like in the Netherlands, military helicopters have sensors more advanced than what regular police helicopters use.

potam

Banned
So what's the story? They say he turned himself in but why? Were cops even looking for him?

From what I gathered, his ID was found in the car. I guess he heard his name on the news and decided to clear himself.

Kathian

Banned

Witch hunt? He handed himself in to answer police enquiries. This happens in police investigations and he was helpful to the enquiries for doing so.

Where is there a witch hunt? What are you referring to?

The guy was somehow related (circle of friends, family, relatives I don't know) to the two supposed gunmen and other people arrested. He saw his name trending on twitter yesterday night. He turned himself before it got ugly. Smart move to avoid tactical team busting your door at 4 am for nothing

kmax

Reading the turn of events is jarring.

Before the shooting, the gunmen burst into number 6 Rue Nicolas-Appert, where the magazine's archives were based. The gunmen reportedly shouted, "Is this Charlie Hebdo?", before they realized that they had the wrong address and fled. They went to the magazine's headquarters at number 10 Rue Nicolas-Appert

Cartoonist Corinne Rey reported that two armed and hooded men, speaking perfect French, threatened the life of her toddler daughter whom she had picked up from day care, and forced her to type in the code to open the door to the building. The men went to an office on the second floor, where the staff were in an editorial meeting with about 15 members in attendance. The shooting lasted five to ten minutes. Witnesses reported that the gunmen sought out members of the staff by name before executing them with single shots to the head. Other witnesses reported that the gunmen identified themselves as belonging to Al-Qaeda in Yemen

An authenticated video surfaced on the Internet that shows two gunmen and a wounded police officer contorting with pain on a sidewalk near the corner of Boulevard Richard Lenoir‎ and Rue Moufle, 180 m east of the main crime scene, after an exchange of gunfire. One of the gunmen runs toward the policeman, shouting in French, "Did you want to kill me?" The policeman answers, "No it's good chief" [non c'est bon chef], raising his hand towards the gunman, who shoots the policeman in the head at close range. The gunmen leave and shout, "We have avenged the Prophet Muhammad. We have killed Charlie Hebdo!"

The gunmen escaped in a getaway car and drove to Porte de Pantin, where they hijacked another car, forcing the driver out. As they fled, they ran over a pedestrian and shot at responding police officers. There are three suspects. A massive manhunt began immediately after the attack. Police officers are searching their apartments. The RAID, the special operations tactical unit of the French National Police, launched an assault in Reims, where the suspects have been located.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo_shooting

Xando

Everyone feeling like shit at work today. ISIS always was shitty but everyone continued their lives. But now the attacks were near our paris offices, feels like they hit us aswell.

I can't agree with a person that had a go at another muslim for not being black enough. Seems he is just scum.
Not being black enough? Lolwot.

Even if this guy didn't mean what I thought he did, it's still a good point to bring up. Satires of Christianity will hurt Christian in a country where they're the minority.

Xando

B600IBNCMAEXE1m.jpg

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/553155988917075968

Even if this guy didn't mean what I thought he did, it's still a good point to bring up. Satires of Christianity will hurt Christian in a country where they're the minority.
It's their good right to be hurt when someone mocks your religion but you still have to accept that they can say it.

Voltaire once said “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it”.

Seems like the cops have no idea what's going on.
Terrorist attack, 12 killed, 25 hours later suspects still not caught. Holy shit

FFS, the cops are working around the clock and know way more than what the press reports second hand. Three of their own got killed. They're on the case, trust me.

Really happy about the newspapers in Switzerland so far:

bottom right:
"Martyrs of free speak"
Two gravestones, left one "Charlie Hebdo", right one "Free Speak", coffin walks out of "Free Speak"-grave and says "without me!"

gundalf

You guys know what is sad? There is probably already someone sitting in Hollywood writing a Script for a possible movie :(

Sakujou

Banned

but satires make fun of everything. about politicians,catholics, protestants, blacks, jews, nazis,...

Addi

My Facebook feed has been pretty respectful, but now the conspiracy fucktards are starting to post things. Seriously, fuck them, to me it's as disrespectful as racists/xenophobic bigots.

Blur

Banned
Not sure if it's been posted, but it's apparently unrelated to the tragedy that unfolded yesterday.

A female police officer was shot and killed today and a cleaner is injured, a man only identified as North African opened fire.

I honestly have no words to describe how sad of a year this is unfolding to become.

Keep safe ParisGAF and everyone else.

coleco

I don't understand this 'satires will hurt x or y' talk, like it somehow justifies everything or even tries to understand anything that's happened.

Everybody gets hurt daily by comments, looks or acts. Big deal. You move on and learn to tolerate discomfort instead of going on a rampage.

tomtom94

My Facebook feed has been pretty respectful, but now the conspiracy fucktards are starting to post things. Seriously, fuck them, to me it's as disrespectful as racists/xenophobic bigots.

The conspiracy subreddit is up to their usual tricks as well. It's fucking ridiculous.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm somewhat disappointed by the Spanish newspapers.

Although that particular image is extremely powerful and I fully believe it should be published, most of them wasted a chance to show some camaraderie among journalists and put freedom of speech in the front page instead of a graphic display of barbarism.

I wasn't expecting anything else, but still.

Beefy

I looked up about Asghar and yeah he basically seems like another crazy hate preacher. Shame on Sky letting him have his say. ( not going to talk about him any more in this thread he doesn't deserve my time.)

Joni

French police are now considering the possibility that the shooting today was at least inspired by the one yesterday.

The point is the cultural context of a satire can make it more hurtful to minorities and groups outside a cultural hegemony.
In that case, satire towards 1,6 billion people can't be a problem. They certainly aren't a minority. Most of the minorities look at the satire, laugh it off or shrug at it. Muslims don't have more rights to not to be used in satire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom