• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main train stations are being evacuated:

and helicopters are flying everywhere over the city:

Wanted level:
gTUE4.png

Lime

Did you seriously just compare satire to racism?

He or she is informing you about power relationships. When we are talking about different positions within society, then there's a difference between a person in power and privilege making a racist joke about an oppressed and discriminated group of people, and vice versa.

There's the aspect of kicking down vs. kicking up. When we are talking about European Muslims and you are ridiculing and discriminating against them when they are already experiencing tons of oppression, then it obviously begs the question if perhaps they should be cut some slack, perhaps?

Just like there's a difference between a White person making a racial joke about a Black person in especially the US, then a person in power and privilege in Europe making a racial joke about Muslims is comparable.

Satire can be about challenging power, not belittling the oppressed.

Did you seriously just compare satire to racism?
You're being dense. I'm obviously not saying that.

But let's say a bunch of US cartoons satirising stereotypes of black culture were heavily publicised in the US and then we had a "draw a black man" day. Do you not think this would anger Blacks? I think that's how a lot of Muslims see it. Not the ones taking up arms, they don't need an excuse, but the everyday guy who feels like he's being singled out because of his loose association with murderers.
Wanted level:
gTUE4.png
That's not 6 stars

Prine

Banned
Former leader of Sweden Democrats' youth section and former member of parliament Erik Almqvist:

"This thing with muslim organizations now making themselves the biggest victims because of the worse view of muslims. Isn't that the thing with nazis too? I mean, nazis are hated and the nazifobia is extremely widespread because of the holocaust."

Sorry, i dont understand...is he saying Muslims are Nazis?

Godan

So they left paris and now they have went back to it if they have been seem on the motorway going into paris?

It's more complex than that. I'm just trying to see things from a Western Muslim's eyes. A lot of Muslims hate the cartoons. I doubt it's because they don't get satire. There's deeper cultural and historical reasons we can draw as to why Muslims feel upset and not just because of rules about Mo.

From the eyes of a Western, mostly atheist-raised-catholic, I'm shocked when (granted, few) people try to justify attacks on certain demographics - say, for example, the jews - as free expression or humor, and the same people complain that you don't have the right to make fun of the prophet of your religion of choice. The double standard is highly disturbing.

So it can be explained why reasonable Muslims might feel hurt or averse to the cartoons if they feel it is reinforcing the already negative stereotypes prevalant in tbeir society.

For the record I am a Turkish Atheist that openly mocks Islam in front of my religious grandparents and criticise it in front of Turks in Turkey (many of who agree). I'm just saying that in a climate where Muslims are already the determined uglies in Western society, it hurts them even more to have tgat reinforced. But a White Christian European has no ugliness so satires of their lifestyle will not affect them as much.

Kind of like the same argument for why racism hurts blacks more than whites.

Last time I reallity-checked, getting killed for drawing cartoons could be categorized as something that affect you a lot.

______

One of my co-workers spoke about how effective 'mafia-style' and "if you are related to the terrorist, it's not really colateral damage" methods are to defend ourselves. First time in my life I've had truly the sentiment that we are mere inches away from fascism. It's terrifying.

What a crazy world we live in where she can use something like this to score 'common sense' points amongst voters. This ammunition should be nothing more than damp powder, but thanks to the efforts of people to distance islam from islamic terrorism, this chick sounds like she's making a bold and brave proclamation.

Actually, she's just painting a huge strawman. The hypocrisy she points out is purely fictional: everyone has condemned these attacks and pointed out it was the result of how ignominious radical Islam is. Hell, we have shitty policies on dozens of things but very concretely, this administration went to war in Mali to fight the Al Qaeda presence there, our internal security forces do monitor these guys all the time, in 2014 a law was passed to actually deal with grassroots jihadism emerging in France and Hollande mentioned they had foiled several terrorist plans over the past few weeks.
So no, I don't think this government (or any past government) has been pussyfooting around when it came to radical Islam. They sure achieved a lot more against radical Islam than Le Pen ever did with her shitty little speeches. The hypocrisy is hers alone and exploiting this right now just shows what a piece of shit she is.

Xando

But let's say a bunch of US cartoons satirising stereotypes of black culture were heavily publicised in the US and then we had a "draw a black man" day. Do you not think this would anger Blacks? I think that's how a lot of Muslims see it. Not the ones taking up arms, they don't need an excuse, but the everyday guy who feels like he's being singled out because of his loose association with murderers.

That's not 6 stars

They can hate it that is their decision but they are not allowed to attack someone from saying his opinion or making a joke no matter how bad it is.

People make so many jokes about us germans being nazis even though 99.9% aren't. Yet i have to take it, i'm not so insecure that i want to prohibit people from making jokes about us and i accept their right to say stuff like this.

Why are you comparing religion to race? Religion is a choice a person of any race can make to believe in the tales from their choice of magical storybooks.

The satire of Charlie Hebdo should be compared with the satire of The Life Of Brian or Father Ted.

coleco

Well, I have news for you. If you look like someone typically assumed as being from the Middle-East, it can be quite tough and challenging to walk around in some European countries because of Islamophobia and prejudices. This is pretty much true in at the very least some cases.

You don't have news for anybody, just a blatant and dishonest exaggeration you now try to minimize with the 'at the very least some cases'. And you made it even worse a few posts back talking about how you feared it could go back to Europe's situation in 33-45.

King_Moc

Banned
Why are you comparing religion to race? Religion is a choice a person of any race can make to believe in the tales from their choice of magical storybooks.

The satire of Charlie Hebdo should be compared with the satire of The Life Of Brian or Father Ted.

You'd be surprised.

Lime

Last time I reallity-checked, getting killed for drawing cartoons could be categorized as something that affect you a lot.

Of course. At the same, we also have to acknowledge the problem of oppressing and discriminating against Muslim Europeans and how power positions within our society affect a lot of people and their daily lives, and help us determine the differences between satire of power vs. satire of the oppressed, i.e. kicking up vs kicking down.

They can hate it that is their decision but they are not allowed to attack someone from saying his opinion or making a joke no matter how bad it is.

No one is saying anyone is allowed to attack another person for what they're saying. You are drawing a false conclusion on what is being argued. Read the post again.

Klyka

Banned

People make so many jokes about us germans being nazis even though 99.9% aren't. Yet i have to take it, i'm not so insecure that i want to prohibit people from making jokes about us and i accept their right to say stuff like this.

Being called a Nazi is part of my life and I embrace the shit out of it.
It's basically a running gag and allows me to make fun of all the idiots and racists who take this shit serious and actually believe in it.

Archer

The whereabouts of the two gunmen remains unknown. They are said to be on the RN2 motorway back into Paris - still in the same grey Renault Clio that was hijacked after the shootings yesterday. Its number-plates are apparently blacked out.

Security has been tightened at British ports and on Eurostar in the wake of the Paris attacks, Downing Street said. Matthew Holehouse reports:

Passports are also being more closely scrutinised on the French side of the border by British authorities.

The additional security measures mean a great visibility of security staff and police and greater scanning of cars and freight.

No 10 said the move was not in response to a specific threat but more a general reaction to recent events.

The Charlie Hebdo attack suspects are believed to have stolen food and petrol at gunpoint from this service station in Villers-Cotteret, Picardy - around 50 miles northeast of Paris - before driving off in the direction of the capital.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...11329976/Paris-Charlie-Hebdo-attack-live.html

Xando

Being called a Nazi is part of my life and I embrace the shit out of it.
It's basically a running gag and allows me to make fun of all the idiots and racists who take this shit serious and actually believe in it.

Exactly, sure i don't like these jokes but i'm not feeling like i have to kill the person that makes these jokes. I stand above it.

Lime

You don't have news for anybody, just a blatant and dishonest exaggeration you now try to minimize with the 'at the very least some cases'. And you made it even worse a few posts back talking about how you feared it could go back to Europe's situation in 33-45.

I was giving you an olive branch by saying "at the very least in some cases". Because of course it's hard being a Muslim or a visible minority classified as "Middle-Eastern" in Europe. It should be evident based on what has been going on for quite a long while.

And btw, people are throwing grenades into mosques, setting off a bomb in a kebab, and who knows what else is going to go down because people's brains can't distinguish between generality and specificity. The Islamophobia is sure as hell right in front of our eyes.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Of course. At the same, we also have to acknowledge the problem of oppressing and discriminating against Muslim Europeans and how power positions within our society affect a lot of people and their daily lives, and help us determine the differences between satire of power vs. satire of the oppressed, i.e. kicking up vs kicking down.

So you think only satire against the ruling party, the ethnicity and the religion that are in majority in a country should exist?

You aren't a minority though. I'm sure visible German Americans in WW1 and WW2 had it very different (and indeed many Anglicized their names as a result of discrimination).

Klyka

Banned
You aren't a minority though. I'm sure visible German Americans in WW1 and WW2 had it very different (and indeed many Anglicized their names as a result of discrimination).

We are not a minority in Germany.
We are outside of it.

So what you are saying is that satire against Germans is ok in Germany but everywhere else it isn't?

Godan

So if they are going back to Paris they may have planned to do something else now?

This ain't looking so good.

Klyka

Banned
So if they are going back to Paris they may have planned to do something else now?

I guess they are trying to get their "glorious deaths" now while trying and cause some more damage.

You wouldn't believe the amount of military hardware that sneaks into Europe from Albania and Ukraine.

Funny fact, I actually know someone who has a crate of 10 handgrenades in his basement cause a Russian friend he had once gave them to him.
He actually has no idea what to do with them or how to get rid of them so he just stashed them down there and hopes they get forgotten.

Lime

So you think only satire against the ruling party, the ethnicity and the religion that are in majority in a country should exist?

Huh? Who's talking about things existing? I am not talking about whether or not A or B should exist. I am talking about being able to perceive and address power positions within society in order to properly understand why one particular form of satire is different from another and that you cannot equate them entirely. That has nothing to do with what should or should not exist.

Xando

We are a minority in the world. We don't get nazi jokes from people living in germany only from people living outside of it.

Business

He or she is informing you about power relationships. When we are talking about different positions within society, then there's a difference between a person in power and privilege making a racist joke about an oppressed and discriminated group of people, and vice versa.

There's the aspect of kicking down vs. kicking up. When we are talking about European Muslims and you are ridiculing and discriminating against them when they are already experiencing tons of oppression, then it obviously begs the question if perhaps they should be cut some slack, perhaps?

Just like there's a difference between a White person making a racial joke about a Black person in especially the US, then a person in power and privilege in Europe making a racial joke about Muslims is comparable.

Satire can be about challenging power, not belittling the oppressed.

Muslims are not opressed in Europe.

Of course there's racism in Europe (like pretty much everywhere else in the world) and non white muslims will probably experience racism as will blacks and asians, but the notion that muslims are opressed in Europe is utterly ridiculous.

Anyone think it's strange that terrorists who operate as trained military professionals somehow leave their ID in a vehicle?

Alx

Maybe their escape route has been cut. They were heading north-east, in the general direction of Reims where yesterday's police operation occured.

Funny fact, I actually know someone who has a crate of 10 handgrenades in his basement cause a Russian friend he had once gave them to him.
He actually has no idea what to do with them or how to get rid of them so he just stashed them down there and hopes they get forgotten.

He should tell the police about them and have them removed. He could get in serious trouble if those get found by authorities for any reason and they think he's been hiding them.

Anyone think it's strange that terrorists who operate as trained military professionals somehow leave their ID in a vehicle?

One of them lost his shoe, they also knocked at the wrong address (twice) and they had to hijack a car. Also, they try to go train in Iraq and failed.

Those terrorists are semi-amateurs, what's new?

potam

Banned
Anyone know if there's a way to buy next week's issue online somewhere? I'm not usually into this shit, but I figure giving them a ton of business would be a good response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom