• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellz

Muslims are not opressed in Europe.

Of course there's racism in Europe (like pretty much everywhere else in the world) and non white muslims will probably experience racism as will blacks and asians, but the notion that muslims are opressed in Europe is utterly ridiculous.

lol wat?

waypoetic

Banned
Anyone think it's strange that terrorists who operate as trained military professionals somehow leave their ID in a vehicle?

I think it's strange that they even carried ID's. And how the hell do you drop something like that? Mine's in a wallet and for it to just sliiiiide out is impossible.

Of course there's racism in Europe (like pretty much everywhere else in the world) and non white muslims will probably experience racism as will blacks and asians, but the notion that muslims are opressed in Europe is utterly ridiculous.
That's true, or maybe it's best to say visible Muslims are most at risk of being discriminated.

A blonde or brunette Turkish girl is not going to get discriminated against because people will think she's white.

Why are you comparing religion to race? Religion is a choice a person of any race can make to believe in the tales from their choice of magical storybooks.

The satire of Charlie Hebdo should be compared with the satire of The Life Of Brian or Father Ted.
I'm not, but you can't deny that some of these cartoons are playing off racial haracterisations of North Africans ans Middle Easterners.

Also religion being a choice is not true for most believers. If they've grown up with belief being the norm then to what extent have they chosen? It's just a default state to most. A strange psychological phenomenon that many of us have been fortunate enough to break from.

Another point is that Islamic symbolism is tied to the cultures of many ethnic groups, so the line between religious criticism and racism is blurred, especially since most Muslims (Bar Balkan Muslims, Turks and some others) are racially distinct from Europeans.

Irminsul

Huh? Who's talking about things existing? I am not talking about whether or not A or B should exist. I am talking about being able to perceive and address power positions within society in order to properly understand why one particular form of satire is different from another and that you cannot equate them entirely. That has nothing to do with what should or should not exist.
Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but you were the one comparing race and religion...

Hanmik

Danish comedian Christian Fuhlendorff just tweeted this..

4eu9riz.jpg

text says "Shhhh Muhammed is coming"..

Osahi

Anyone think it's strange that terrorists who operate as trained military professionals somehow leave their ID in a vehicle?

They were pretty amateuristic in their approach. One of them showed some weapons training (the concentrated fire on the windshield is an example of that), but otherwise... A security officer analysed the attack in the newspaper I read, and listed the stupidities.

- Going to the wrong adress at first
- One of them wears his weapon wrong, and should have a very bruised shoulder now
- the same guy walks in the line of fire of his comrade
- they didn't have a getaway car ready, but needed to jack one

etc. His conclusion was: these were amateurs and the attack wasn't as securily planned out as you'd think.

So yeah, I do believe they had their ID's with them (to become anonymous as fast as they could, they should've had ID's with them when they went 'civilian'), and they left them in their flight. Not on purpose, but in the heat of the moment.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Huh? Who's talking about things existing? I am not talking about whether or not A or B should exist. I am talking about being able to perceive and address power positions within society in order to properly understand why one particular form of satire is different from another and that you cannot equate them entirely. That has nothing to do with what should or should not exist.

I don't understand what's your point in the end. Satire against a minority is more painful than satire against a majority? Might be, yes. Depends also on the actual subject of the satire. And? What's the follow up point to that? What do you want to argument?

Lime

I think your disagreement is just a semantic formality. Racism is oppression. Muslims, most notably minorities with visible differences, experience discrimination, harassment, marginalisation, etc., which I define as oppression. Structural oppression at that.

Arksy

How many of these newspapers claiming "JeSuisCharlie" has actually reprinted the cartoons? Hardly any of them. It's bullshit. You don't get to claim a piece of the action if you lack the balls to be as brave.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They got an RPG apparently, hope they get killed/caught soon.

YoghPL

Neo Member

That post by SpeedOfNuts is exactly right - muslims in Europe aren't any more discriminated than other religions, skin colors, shoe sizes or whatever else some cretins which are only a fraction of any given population wish to discriminate at the moment.
Even suggesting that they should have a pass and should be exempt from satire is pure patronizing and edges on the whole dreaded "Political Correctness" (hate that term, but nothing else comes to mind).

And on a subject at hand: It is not a matter of being polite. Heck, you should be able to draw anything you want, even if it was specifically my mother having sex with a donkey. I would be offended, sure. I would probably even go to court with it. And that's the only civilized response I can imagine.

Xando

How many of these newspapers claiming "JeSuisCharlie" has actually reprinted the cartoons? Hardly any of them. It's bullshit. You don't get to claim a piece of the action if you lack the balls to be as brave.

A lot of the non english speaking posted these cartoons especially european. US/UK newspapers seem too scared though.

mellz

you'll have to elaborate a bit more if you are able.

Of course they are oppressed. In Sweden there's hundreds of islamophobic crimes every year. Do you think a woman with a hijab has the same chance of getting a job as a white Christian in Europe?

And why I replied like that is because I think your statement really isn't even worth discussing, would be like saying black people aren't oppressed in US.

People make so many jokes about us germans being nazis even though 99.9% aren't. Yet i have to take it, i'm not so insecure that i want to prohibit people from making jokes about us and i accept their right to say stuff like this.

"Nazi=German" jokes are a convenient scapegoat and a easy way to forget that most others European countries have been guilty of pogroms at one moment or another during the last millenia. Sorry that it keep being rubbed on your face :(

magawolaz

Just heard on italian tv that the two suspects are barricaded inside a house 70km outside of Paris, I'm looking for other sources online.

(and as an italian, I'm sorry for those two newspapers)

We are a minority in the world. We don't get nazi jokes from people living in germany only from people living outside of it.
I'm not talking about the world stage but within countries.

Let me explain with a drawn out analogy. Let's say Germany had been colonised by Turkey in the past. And today the advance Turkish economy signs a deal for German guest workers to do the low-end jobs in Turkey. These Turkish German communities are very religious compared to the Secularised Turks. One day a satirical newspaper draws satirical cartoons making fun of these German Christians. These Germans feel very hurt because historically their country was colonised, the results of that colonisation mean they have to migrate to their former masters to make a decent living and on top of the discrimination they sometimes encounter in day to day life, they are hit on the head by widely publicised cartoons and one a bunch of net savy Turks create a "Draw Jesus day" and feel fantastic about exerting their cultural dominance.

In such a reality, can you maybe see how a Muslim feels hard done by?

Klyka

Banned
"Nazi=German" jokes are a convenient scapegoat and a easy way to forget that most others European countries have been guilty of pogroms at one moment or another during the last millenia. Sorry that it keep being rubbed on your face :(

It's cool mate, Nazi's are basically pop culture now and we can always just shout something like "VE VILL ATTACK FROM ZE MOOOOOOOOOOON!!!" cause it's all silly rubbish anyway.

waypoetic

Banned

Trending etc etc. I've seen swedish politicians stand up for what has happened on Twitter, but they're at the same time people who defend religious extremism to the out most.

Sakujou

Banned
this charlie hebdo becomes the wtc. no one of the normal people ever heard about this till yesterday. now everyone all over the world knows about this satire-magazine and is willing to buy and support this magazine/journalists...

Lime

Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but you were the one comparing race and religion...

I am not following you at all? Could you elaborate?

I don't understand what's your point in the end. Satire against a minority is more painful than satire against a majority? Might be, yes. Depends also on the actual subject of the satire. And? What's the follow up point to that? What do you want to argument?

Yes, it's more painful, so we agree on that. That also means that when we talk about satire, then what I personally would consider to be good satire would be satire that challenged or questioned those in power, whereas bad satire (to me) went out of its way to ridicule people who are already discriminated against and who are already exposed to a lot of ridicule and stigmatization and oppression in their daily lives. That does not at all mean that the latter doesn't deserve to exist - I am only saying it is possible to criticize it for being bad - i.e. my point is that freedom of speech does not entail freedom from criticism.

But it's a complex issue and the latter can be achieved successfully at times, but it's really tricky. I think this article about how comedy and rape jokes are a good way to understand the topic of "satire":

In case this isn't perfectly clear yet: You can say whatever you want.

You can say whatever you want. You can say whatever you want. You can say whatever you want.

You can say whatever you want.

Archer

this charlie hebdo becomes the wtc. no one of the normal people ever heard about this till yesterday. now everyone all over the world knows about this satire-magazine and is willing to buy and support this magazine/journalists...

Solidarity. Conan said it right.

Jb

no one of the normal people ever heard about this till yesterday. now everyone all over the world knows about this satire-magazine and is willing to buy and support this magazine/journalists...

Who are you talking about again? Obviously non-french people don't know about a small satirical magazine, but everyone in France knew it even if they don't necessarily buy it or even like it.

Arksy

I hope they print an English version. I'll be picking up the French version anyway, but I hope that other non-French speakers will be able to buy one.

Lime

That post by SpeedOfNuts is exactly right - muslims in Europe aren't any more discriminated than other religions, skin colors, shoe sizes or whatever else some cretins which are only a fraction of any given population wish to discriminate at the moment.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. Muslim Europeans, notably visible minorities, have it pretty tough in a lot of European countries.

Even suggesting that they should have a pass and should be exempt from satire is pure patronizing and edges on the whole dreaded "Political Correctness" (hate that term, but nothing else comes to mind).

No one is saying they should get a pass by whatever you wish to say or express, I am saying that it is entirely okay to be considerate of other people's feelings when you express someting. You can still go ahead and express it, but in the same way it is okay for people to express their criticism of what you are saying.

And on a subject at hand: It is not a matter of being polite. Heck, you should be able to draw anything you want, even if it was specifically my mother having sex with a donkey. I would be offended, sure. I would probably even go to court with it. And that's the only civilized response I can imagine.

You can draw anything you want. You can draw anything you want. You can draw anything you want. No one is arguing for censorship or something not existing.

Who are you talking about again? Obviously non-french people don't know about a small satirical magazine, but everyone in France knew it even if they don't necessarily buy it or even like it.

Exactly. It's much more than an attack on a small cartoon magazine. It's an attack and assassination of free speech and free press. That is utterly shocking and disgusting.

Xando

I'm not talking about the world stage but within countries.

Let me explain with a drawn out analogy. Let's say Germany had been colonised by Turkey in the past. And today the advance Turkish economy signs a deal for German guest workers to do the low-end jobs in Turkey. These Turkish German communities are very religious compared to the Secularised Turks. One day a satirical newspaper draws satirical cartoons making fun of these German Christians. These Germans feel very hurt because historically their country was colonised, the results of that colonisation mean they have to migrate to their former masters to make a decent living and on top of the discrimination they sometimes encounter in day to day life, they are hit on the head by widely publicised cartoons and one a bunch of net savy Turks create a "Draw Jesus day" and feel fantastic about exerting their cultural dominance.

In such a reality, can you maybe see how a Muslim feels hard done by?
Of course i can see where they come from but that doesn't mean that they're right.

And it is pretty similiar to us germans. In the 1950s-60s our nazi past was silenced to death, no one was allowed to talk about it let alone joke about it. Society didn't allowed it. But we learned (And i think that this kind of short coming in the islamic world) to laugh about ourselves and our past. We make jokes about catholic priests being pedophiles (even the pope), we make jokes about hitler and the cult of his followers because we learned that it is ok to voice your opinion. I think muslims wouldn't be as upset about jokes/satire with their religion if they would sometimes laugh about it like they do with everything else here in germany. Islam shouldn't be a exception if muslims are making various jokes about religions and politicians aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom