• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Front page of popular Turkish satirical magazine Penguen:

n_76664_4.jpg

Arksy

I'm not saying that they should be exempt from criticism. Nothing should be exempt from a critical eye.But we should be tactful of innocent Muslims who had nothing to do with any of this. Running offensive pictures of their prophet and turning him into a joke or a terrorist or whatever; insulting them and putting them on the defensive is not a great way to make them see the errors of their ways. It's harassment to the people that had nothing to do with this attack. But are receiving it as some sort of punishment for being associated with them via religion.

Just so we're on the same page: I'm talking about the people that want to publish Charlie Hebdo's pictures in other news outlets to "get them out there" and not the initial attack on CH.

So a bunch of innocent people are offended. You know what I say to the thousands of people who were offended by the pictures but chose not to lash out violently?

"Welcome."

That's how we do it in the West. No one is immune from criticism. Ever. Everyone here has been offended, multiple times. We shrug and bear it because we know that the alternatives are way, way worse.

Marine Le Pen just said that "national unity (was) a pathetic, politician maneuver" ("l'union nationale est une manoeuvre politicienne minable"), newspaper Le Monde reports.

west4th

Banned
So a bunch of innocent people are offended. You know what I say to the thousands of people who were offended by the pictures but chose not to lash out violently?

"Welcome."

That's how we do it in the West. No one is immune from criticism. Ever.

Exactly!

I'm offended by a lot of things I see and read on the media. If you don't like what a newspaper prints, stop buying it. It's really that simple.

If you think someone should go to jail over a cartoon or the cartoons should not be printed I'm sorry to say but you're part of the problem.

The image of the cop on the ground moments before he is executed is a lot more powerful than some poorly drawn cartoons. I don't think it is necessarily out of cowardice.

Powerful as in morbid and shocking, an image to grab attention in the hope that you'll buy their paper. Using the moment of a man's death to sell their paper but too cowardly to show the cartoon that was the justification for the slaughter.

They feel quite comfortable that the people offended by showing the image of Ahmed Merabet's murder won't try to storm their offices and murder them because of it.

Did we ever get an official statement on the 18 year old that turned himself in? There was confusion as to whether he was a participant or if the perpetrators may have planted his ID in their getaway vehicle as a diversion. His classmates - or people claiming to be classmates - were saying he was in class with them at the time of the attacks.

Kup

Powerful as in morbid and shocking, an image to grab attention in the hope that you'll buy their paper. Using the moment of a man's death to sell their paper but too cowardly to show the cartoon that was the justification for the slaughter.

They feel quite comfortable that the people offended by showing the image of Ahmed Merabet's murder won't try to storm their offices and murder them because of it.

Yes, the cowards. It's more about the money and the sales. Shame.

Did we ever get an official statement on the 18 year old that turned himself in? There was confusion as to whether he was a participant or if the perpetrators may have planted his ID in their getaway vehicle as a diversion. His classmates - or people claiming to be classmates - were saying he was in class with them at the time of the attacks.

He's still in custody.

National unity is probably a better translation.

Fair enough

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

I think it's still unclear.

Archer

I dont give a shit what faith you are, anybody that believes in trash is disgusting and an insult to human progress.

Thanks religion! for dragging the world back into a new Dark Ages.

The world will send them back to the Dark Ages while everyone else moves forward together.

Rush_Khan

This is a book, Murder in the name of Allah published in 1988, the first chapter is a message to Muslims and non-Muslims alike and pretty much a message for today

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/mna/chapter_1.html

poignant

Wow, that was a very interesting read, especially the part about the freedom of conscience, religion and speech. I think it shows that, with a little bit of tolerance from both sides, the Islamic world can be compatiable with the Western world and can co-exist peacefully. It's a shame that people on both sides do not want this to happen and will resort to violence in order to stop any form of integration.

100% untrue. What makes you say this ?
Friends, acquaintances, various travels in North Africa. A lot of people I've come across tended to describe themselves as Arabs (when they didn't use a nationality). The very notable exception was Kabyles as all the ones I've met tend to have a very strong sense of identity. They're also probably the most secular people I've run into while in North Africa.

Sorry if this came across as a gross generalization, obviously.

As an aside, I'm under the impression that in North Africa at least, developing secularism and a sense of identity that's independent from whatever happens in Middle East are central to fighting this kind of stuff.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
They should publish these pictures to show that they are not scared, to show that they still say their opinion, no matter how much the terrorists hate it. Instead they show the terrorists execute a hero police officer (who was muslim). And to top it all of the head of the paper comes out in a interview and says they are too scared to publish these pictures.

It's not an easy decision.

While a smaller publication (like Charlie), can take risks by agreement of all involved, it gets rather different if, say, the editor upstairs decides it would be good journalism to publish when it might be the receptionist downstairs gets shot.

That said, some of the responses in Germany and Portugal have hit exactly the right buttons, while the UK has not. I suspect they thought too much about whether to publish and not enough about *what* to publish.

King_Moc

Banned
I've stumbled upon this video on the internet, is this real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV710c1dgpU

Not surprising. Every muslim I've known that's expressed an opinion on homosexuals has always been against them, though none have gone so far as to say they should be killed. One muslim that I drive to work with defended Shariah law saying if you don't do the crime, then nothing will happen, so what's the problem? Pretty cool, huh?

SmokyDave

If this group is indeed as representative as the speakers suggest, that dashes the notion that any and all challenges to immigration in Europe amount to xenophobia and racism masquerading as a concern with cultural incompatibility.
I don't think the people that hold that notion are willing to have it challenged.

"The lawyer for Charlie Hebdo, Richard Malka, tells AFP news agency that next week's edition of the magazine will have a print run of one million - it normally prints 60,000. It will also be half the length at eight pages."

If this group is indeed as representative as the speakers suggest, that dashes the notion that any and all challenges to immigration in Europe amount to xenophobia and racism masquerading as a concern with cultural incompatibility.
we should not forget that many of the Western European democracies have spent two centuries separating the Church from State to have secular public governance not influenced anymore by the Church and the clergy.

It is normal for these same Western European democracies to want to defend their secularism and not kneel down and appease to other religions wanting the host state to make concessions to them that would come into conflict with the secular nature of the country's laws and politics.

Baki

Fuck the British press, I am ashamed.

All press mediums and outlets should be united in showing the cartoons. I am angered.

Why is that important. The best statement against these terrorists would be to give them less media attention. Relegate them to the back page.

Alx

French elite police in village of Longpont

After the pictures of Gare du Nord being closed off, I'm starting to wonder if the guys didn't flee by train. Crépy en Valois, Villers Côteret and Longpont are all on the same train line. Soon enough they'll be checking Soissons and Laon (my home town).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom