• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baki

They're doing exactly what they terrorists wanted. They're afraid of publishing images that may be seen as offensive to whacked Muslims. It was literally the entire point of the attack.

And publishing the cartoons will not deter future terrorism. If anything, it's counter productive because it will only further split up communities when there is a need for communities to be united as a whole.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
That's one of the notable things to come out of all of this. By their own doing, these murderers have made this publication and its artists incredibly famous, so much so that next week's issue is being printed for a circulation of 1,000,000 instead of its usual 45,000.

In short, their "statement" has achieved the great sum of fuck all.

I would be surprised if this does not have a long term chilling effect on the willingness of publishers to publish similar images due to safety concerns. And of course, the dead artists wont be producing anything else offensive to the murderers or otherwise.

Then why you fear of Western. There is no need.

Lot of us are good people, and happy to respect your religion in your own.

why are you separating me from the rest. is this a us vs you mechanism. most muslims just want to live and not live in fear of people who hate and act on the hate.

just because you think my faith is violent doesnt mean those who hate my belief and thus me that I would be afraid of those who hate.

I think your religion is a pile of shit but I respect your right to believe in it.
You are not your beliefs. Being critical of your religion does not mean I'm being disrespectful to you.

Arksy

Charlie Hebdo victim was 'a friend of Islam, Turkey'

"Georges Wolinski was a person who spoke in favor of Turkey’s EU membership and drew cartoons to support it.

He was a human who loved Turkey very much. He was never the enemy of any Muslim. On the contrary, he was one of the loudest voices supporting Muslim immigrants in France.

Another victim was Jean Cabut, "Cabu"...

Both were friends of the late Oğuz Aral, a legendary Turkish cartoonist.

They were leftists and never xenophobic or Islamophobic. Both were champions of immigrants in France."

Turkcesi varmi? Turkish news makes my head hurt.

I think your religion is a pile of shit but I respect your right to believe in it.
You are not your beliefs. Being critical of your religion does not mean I'm being disrespectful to you.

I am my belief. now what do you say. Hate the radical thoughts. not my belief which is directly tied to me and the way I live

iceatcs

why are you separating me from the rest. is this a us vs you mechanism. most muslims just want to live and not live in fear of people who hate and act on the hate.

No, you want separate. Not me, I want everyone equal.
You are the one who fear make it sound like you scare of people will kill you and want everyone leave you alone. Why?

SmokyDave

When I see someone hate my belief and thus me, I am afraid this person could hurt me. its a natural instinct when you encounter hate.
Your issue is in the assumption that because I take issue with conservative and radical islam, somehow I dislike you as a human being. I know nothing of you, other than what I've seen you post on GAF.

What's odd is that you were sparked off by me pointing out that the dude you posted was trotting out a classic fallacy. Nothing to do with 'hatred', 'islamophobia' or any of that shit.

Ashes

Banned

How can you simultaneously talk about paying him respect and call his religion a pile of shit?

spekkeh

Banned
Food for thought in the Telegraph

B61ExJRIQAAxdi6.jpg

"I think the terrorists "win" if we [...] hate Muslims."
That's certainly a convenient theory for some people on the left.

ANYWAYS

Have they left Paris? So many units are searching for these guys yet no clue about their whereabouts. I really hope theyre caught alive.

west4th

Banned
I am my belief. now what do you say. Hate the radical thoughts. not my belief which is directly tied to me and the way I live

So because you choose to be your belief we are not allowed to criticize Islam?

I'm sorry but that's not how it works.
In a civilized secular society ALL ideas are open for discussion. This is called freedom of expression.

Also you playing the victim here is horrible, the real victims are the 12 man and woman that died yesterday.

Kathian

Banned

You say this as if your religion does not by definition of monotheist ideas believe I am a bad person for not wanting to follow your god (I accept a god may exist, I do not mean to follow the one described by your Prophet) and generally that I will be punished/I am a second class citizen on this planet.

When I see someone hate my belief and thus me, I am afraid this person could hurt me. its a natural instinct when you encounter hate.

So fundamentally I have to put up with your hatred of my own believes, it is fundamental to any mono religion. I put up with it and never get bothered much.

And publishing the cartoons will not deter future terrorism. If anything, it's counter productive because it will only further split up communities when there is a need for communities to be united as a whole.

Who said it will deter anything? We as a society need to stick together and not be scared. That's the point of terrorism, to scare us. Society needs to continue on like normal flying a big middle finger at this shit. Head on. It's as much about our own mental state as it is for the terrorists.

You are a person, not a book. As a matter of fact, this allows you to adjust your beliefs and opinions on said book and use it to be either a moderate a radical or a non believer.

well sorry but I am a person adherent to my faith. thats what you call a religious person. By saying your faith is evil people directly say the way you believe and live your life as an adherent muslim person, are basing it off an evil idea. The difference between your thinking and mine is I know there is a separation of radicalists and moderates, Radicalists being new. People who say Islam is evil also assume its Holy Founder was violent thus creating an argument that Islam was built on an evil idea with a violent founder and if I am not violent, I am not following Islam as it was meant to be. Am I wrong in this?

I'm confused, are you saying that the attackers are representative of Islam?

Previous history indicates yes he is

So because you choose to be your belief we are not allowed to criticize Islam?

I'm sorry but that's not how it works.
In a civilized secular society ALL ideas are open for discussion. This is called freedom of expression.

Also you playing the victim here is horrible, the real victims are the 12 man and woman that died yesterday.

you can but where is the truth when people say the founder built the faith on violence. if that is not the truth, that is no criticism is it?

fantomena

For everyone linking to those videos showing these muslims in Norway. Last year there was hundreds of muslims mobilising and demostrating in the streets of Oslo and Grenland in Norway against these xtremist groups.

These groups (Islam Net and profetens Ummah) does not represent muslims in Norway, they are a minority.

Pictures form the demo:

demonstrtion_isil.jpg

"Sammen mot terror = Together against terror"

14848868087_747d9bc2b3_z.jpg

14848714199_273ef305dc_z.jpg

"Ikke i mitt navn = Not in my name"

More here: http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/4586-muslims-in-norway-marched-against-isis-and-extremism

Linking to those videos here is disgusting imo.

Xando

ANYWAYS

Have they left Paris? So many units are searching for these guys yet no clue about their whereabouts. I really hope theyre caught alive.

Spiegel reported they are closing in on them and are searching a 20 square kilometre area. Going from house to house, searching cars etc. Apparently one was seen in Corcys earlier today.

edit: https://twitter.com/MaximeGoldbaum has some pictures of special forces searching Corcys.

Klyka

Banned
You are a person, not a book. As a matter of fact, this allows you to adjust your beliefs and opinions on said book and use it to be either a moderate a radical or a non believer.

This is hardly a complex philosophical discussion.

Funky Papa taking the words out of my head and putting them down.

Rush_Khan

Just found out that the policeman lying on the floor was a Muslim.

Imagine that. Trying to protect the lives of those who drew cartoons mocking your faith. The very definition of selflessness. What a hero.

SmokyDave

Are you saying that the attackers are representative of Islam?
I'm saying the attackers were muslims and acting in accordance with what they believe islam requires of them. They avenged their prophet.

So when you get lines like 'I stopped calling these people Muslim terrorists. They're about as Muslim as I am' and 'Europe has an enormous radical problem. I think ISIS is a cult. Not an Islamic cult', well, I'm going to point out the obvious fallacy.

That's how Le Pen ends up sounding like the sensible one when she says “We must not be scared of saying the words: this is a terrorist attack carried out in the name of radical Islam,”.

pulsemyne

The telegraph is not, in any way shape or form, a left wing paper. There's a reason its also called The Torygraph. Also what was said was quite true. It's not about satire etc its about causing terror and sowing the seeds of hatred and violence.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They are representative of a small but significant portion of it.

It's not as convenient as real. The original outrage about the Danish cartoons was sparked by radical Imams who sneaked made up and old caricatures in order to set people off. They knew they were fake; instead, they just wanted to create a ruckus. Al-qaeda was also known to attack Russian troops back in the day from civilian positions in order to spark outrage when the Russians retaliated in the expected Russian Bear way.

Radical muslims have been used inflamatory tactics to spark unrest and increase support for the longest time.

Baki

Who said it will deter anything? We as a society need to stick together and not be scared. That's the point of terrorism, to scare us. Society needs to continue on like normal flying a big middle finger at this shit. Head on. It's as much about our own mental state as it is for the terrorists.

I agree that's it important to be united. Publishing the cartoons will not do that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm saying the attackers were muslims and acting in accordance with what they believe islam requires of them. They avenged their prophet.

So when you get lines like 'I stopped calling these people Muslim terrorists. They're about as Muslim as I am' and 'Europe has an enormous radical problem. I think ISIS is a cult. Not an Islamic cult', well, I'm going to point out the obvious fallacy.

That's how Le Pen ends up sounding like the sensible one when she says “We must not be scared of saying the words: this is a terrorist attack carried out in the name of radical Islam,”.

I feel like this exchange here, in thousands of various iterations across the world, gets right to the heart of why this dialogue is so thorny

Alx

ANYWAYS

Seems likely. There have been conflicting reports about it. The police has been searching several smaller cities that are between Paris and Reims (the city where yesterday's operation occured). Either the guys are expected to be somewhere in the area, or the police is trying to disrupt their "network".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom