• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
This picture is incredible.
20a17d60-dbb6-46d0-90b5-fe29dcdb1ee5.jpg

Imagine you waking up and with heavily armed police offers knocking on your door.

-knock knock-

kcbwht.jpg

Zarovitch

Sigh. Religion is a bit fluid. Otherwise... Christianity! Leviticus has some gems (New American Version).

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. Leviticus 20:10

If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives. Leviticus 20:13

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. Leviticus 20:27

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. Exodus 21:15

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. Deuteronomy 13:7-12

Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known; Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you; Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword. And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the Lord thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again. And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the Lord may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers; When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the Lord thy God. Deuteronomy 13:13-19 (King James in this case)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' Exodus 31:12-15

Old Testament God is a bit of a dick.

I think every religion should disapear, but anyway it's not the place to talk about it.

Please find those fuckers.

yogloo

Sigh. Religion is a bit fluid. Otherwise... Christianity! Leviticus has some gems (New American Version).

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. Leviticus 20:10

If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives. Leviticus 20:13

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. Leviticus 20:27

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. Exodus 21:15

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. Deuteronomy 13:7-12

Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known; Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you; Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword. And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the Lord thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again. And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the Lord may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers; When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the Lord thy God. Deuteronomy 13:13-19 (King James in this case)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' Exodus 31:12-15

Old Testament God is a bit of a dick.
Old testament God is your psycho girlfriend.

Guy.brush

well most people like you can critical and not accepting that a belief can be valid, thats all fine and legitimate criticism, some people just hate, that is what is wrong and most haters don't know they not only hate the belief but anything associated with it, which is the people. I mean obviously they wont show the hatred to the person in public but they will never be friends with a person with that belief even when saying they like him as a person.

this is a good article about the recent events

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...eans_are_both_too.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_top

This all depends how serious both sides take their stances on religion. Same with politics really. I had a friend who fell more and more conservative over the years and we get really angry at each other, almost had a fallout at one point. So yes if you have an Atheist who is serious then he will have a harder time getting into the mind of a devout believer and love what he encounters.

go ahead: http://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/?page=1&region=E1
the only people who believe the book asks for killing people in other way or another and even if its in a harmless or its juststified are terrorists. If you want to give their radical ideas weight, thats your prerogative

freedom to practice faith is paramount in west world. human rights are paramount in west. civil rights are paramount in west. every citizen is protected in west. I would say that aspect which is the major aspect is in line with Islam and not a threat. the only threat west has is to the radicalists who dont like those aspects of the west.

What about homosexual rights? I'm gonna use your own source you provided.
https://www.alislam.org/v/1008.html

Some very homophobic stuff being said there.

Many Dutch police officers have joined the manifestations across the country, in uniform and out, off-duty. #jesuisahmed

B61QWGTCYAILJem.png

Love this. Free speech must be protected even if we dont like whats being said sometimes.

What does the article say? Sorry im on mobile safari so no translation. ... Or do I even want to know whats on it?

Can we just shut up about the whole religion angle and actually concentrate on what is going on and the latest news?

Agreed, let's just talk about the events because really, violence comes from all forms of intolerance (Political, social and philosophical) and not just a religious intolerance. Maybe we should instead just hope these two guys are caught quickly.

Le Monde reports a lot of police activity near Longpont, a forested area of the Aisne region northeast of Paris (a little further to the north than the gas station where they were spotted.)

Iran's World news channel is claiming that the French intelligence has a hand in the incident.
Edit: they're are claiming this happened based on the French stance against the Syrian Regime.

Police searching house by house in a village where they are supposed to be hiding.

Do you think the 18 year old who turned himself in did it on purpose to give fake info that seemed credible and they are using resources to search in the wrong area whilst the other two leave out of Europe quicktime.

dosh

What does the article say? Sorry im on mobile safari so no translation. ... Or do I even want to know whats on it?
The article is quoting various reactions from jihadists. The "apostate policeman" bit mentioned by FlyingSaucer refers to tweets and articles basically calling Ahmed, the cop who was murdered, a traitor.

The article is quoting various reactions from jihadists. The "apostate policeman" bit mentioned by FlyingSaucer refers to tweets and articles basically calling Ahmed, the cop who was murdered, a traitor.

Oh ok. Bunch of morons. Like the usa today article i dont know why these loons are getting a platform.

Xando

Do you think the 18 year old who turned himself in did it on purpose to give fake info that seemed credible and they are using resources to search in the wrong area whilst the other two leave out of Europe quicktime.

The 18 year old apparently was the brother in law of the attackers. I think he has been released because he didn't do anything. He were in school when the shooting happened and is a classic case of social media witch hunt.

The 18 year old apparently was the brother in law of the attackers. I think he has been released because he didn't do anything. He were in school when the shooting happened and is a classic case of social media witch hunt.

I thought he was a homeless?

Iran's World news channel is claiming that the French intelligence has a hand in the incident.
Edit: they're are claiming this happened based on the French stance against the Syrian Regime.

Well the Iran foreign minister did tacitly endorse the attack in her condemnation yesterday, so I'm really not surprised.

Many Dutch police officers have joined the manifestations across the country, in uniform and out, off-duty. #jesuisahmed

B61QWGTCYAILJem.png

This is great and reminds me of the famous, apocryphal, quote often attributed to Voltaire.
"I detest what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Let's not justify bad things with other bad things.

I did not. I said, "this is a thing that also exists in this religion" one that's quite popular in the US. A religion that has fed into things like homophobia and transphobia, or our immense prison population and love of the death penalty.

Your statement was:

a book that asks to kill, whatever the reason, should not be followed by anyone.

So I'm going to assume your atheist?

Raist

Banned
The uniforms say "Police", so I don't think they're GIGN (who are Gendarmerie)

There are several corps there.

The ones with all black uniforms are just heavily armed policemen (basically like SWAT).

The one with the camo and full balaclavas are from the GIPN (not GIGN) which is also part of the police force, not the army.

Don't think we are talking about the same person. I meant the guy that gave himself up yesterday night.
The third guy (ie not the brothers) was at some point identified as a homeless 18 year old.

This is all very confusing because of the conflicting reports and live updates with unreliable sources.

Mimosa97

America's favorite journalist Don Lemon asks Muslim Civil Rights attorney on CNN: Do you Support ISIS?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/...don-lemon-stuns-muslim-human-rights-attorney/

16% of french citizen support ISIS ?

Lmfao.

You know where he got this number ? From some obscure russian website known to support the extrem french right-wing groupuscules and once you check how they ran their poll you understand that it was all bullshit.

How can someone believe that 16% of french citizens support Isis Lmfao. There are between 5 and 8% muslims in France. That would mean that there are millions of non-muslims in France who support ISIS. That's one of the stupidest things i've ever heard.

Seriously ... I mean ... What the fuck ?

The third guy (ie not the brothers) was at some point identified as a homeless 18 year old.

This is all very confusing because of the conflicting reports and live updates with unreliable sources.

I remember the report of him being homeless as well.

Was that on NBC? Because they were just rolling with the tweet last night instead of waiting for any actual facts.

Alej

Banned
16% of french citizen support ISIS ?

Lmfao.

You know where he got this number ? From some obscure russian website known to support the extrem french right-wing groupuscules and once you check how they ran their poll you understand that it was all bullshit.

How can someone believe that 16% of french citizens support Isis Lmfao. There are between 5 and 8% muslims in France. That would mean that there are millions of non-muslims in France who support ISIS. That's one of the stupidest things i've ever heard.

Seriously ... I mean ... What the fuck ?

Polls (or even stats) about religious appartenance (or ethnic) are forbidden in France, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom