• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jb

Don't know where that last part came from, but my main issue is how, ironically, people are using this situation to shield the company from criticism about their product. Feeling horror for the events and criticizing problematic cartoons from the publication are not, and should not, be mutually exclusive.

Maybe you should enlighten us then as to why they're "problematic" instead of throwing around that word without actually explaining what it refers too.
Because Charlie Hebdo wasn't racist or hateful. I'm not sure you know what that magazine was.

Lime

I sincerely hope no one gets hurt.

I also hope the madmen get captured alive so they won't be allowed to become martyrs.

Mimosa97

The averse reaction to shield the company is coming from the fact many people worldwide are saying they somehow deserved it because of the cartoons.

No one said that in this thread and people are already jumping at one another's throat.

I've posted two cartoons a few pages ago saying they are kinda hardcore and got people telling me that i was saying they deserved to be killed for that. And i used the term " hardcore " only because i knew some people might be shocked even though personally i don't find them hardcore at all as i'm not religious and think one can laugh about everything. The Charlie Hebdo guys weren't racists nor anything and they had every right to draw those cartoons and push it as far as they wanted. I think satire is vital in a democracy. But still, sometimes some of their cartoons were really hardcore and even if you ask their die hard fanbase they will tell you the same thing. So i don't understand what's going on in this thread but people need to chill.

I had to clarify my stance like 4 times in order for people to calm down ...

chadskin

Short summary: Le Monde, Le Parisien and RTL now all report 2 people have been killed and 20 injured. Reuters reports 1 person has been killed, with several being injured.

Hanmik

Could you guys please stop discussing religion and other non relevant stuff right now..? for fucks sake we are talking about a hostage situation, murder and other stuff going on right now.. focus on the stuff happening right now and save your discussions to another time..

B65ZUh6CUAAl6MV.jpg

Jumplion

No one said that in this thread and people are already jumping at one another's throat.

I've posted two cartoons a few pages ago saying they are kinda hardcore and got people telling me that i was saying they deserved to be killed for that. And i used the term " hardcore " only because i knew some people might be shocked even though personally i don't find them hardcore at all as i'm not religious and think one can laugh about everything. The Charlie Hebdo guys weren't racists nor anything and they had every right to draw those cartoons and push it as far as they wanted. I think satire is vital in a democracy. But still, sometimes some of their cartoons were really hardcore and even if you ask their die hard fanbase they will tell you the same thing. So i don't understand what's going on in this thread but people need to chill.

I had to clarify my stance like 4 times in order for people to calm down ...

Tensions are really high right now with the current shoot out and hostage situation. If I had known the shooters were still at large I probably would have waited before weighing in on this stuff. It's probably best to wait once all of it is resolved before really diving into these sorts of discussions.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
How much ammo do they even have to cause that many victims?

AK rifles generally hold 30 bullets in each magazine. They probably smuggled a significant amount of ammo (the pictures of the terrorist show them fully kitted out with combat vests), but there's also the fact that a bullet can pass through one or more bodies if somebody fire at a group of people.

N24.de is claiming a hostage situation in a print factory/printing company... nothings confirmed right? An unusual place, if true then maybe that's not a coincidence... maybe the place where the Hebdo Magazine was printed? (not to spread any rumors)

Mimosa97

The public prosecutor's office confirms there have been no casualties in the shooting that took place before the hostage-taking.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, this thread changed over the night into "I'm not saying that they should have been killed, but they brought this onto themselves". Classy.

Freedom of expression is not relative to the quality of the ideas produced. And it still have to comply with the law, so if one breaks the law or bring prejudice to someone one can be sued for it. You are not the humour police.

I hope they finally catch the bastards. Hopefully alive, to put them on trial.

That's why I only use Le Monde (over Le Parisien for example), they tend to be more careful about their sources and confirmations. Looking back at the past 48 hours, they've proved it time and again.

Roi

I really hope they get caught alive, so they can see that their actions will be fruitless and normal lives goes on.

I really hope they get caught alive, so they can see that their actions will be fruitless and normal lives goes on.

Is that really true though? NYT and other media refuse to show Charlie Hebdo cartoons. South Park still can't show Mohammed.

Seems like their actions are working and normal life is being redefined to conform to their demands. It's bullshit man.

Nohar

That's why I only use Le Monde (over Le Parisien for example), they tend to be more careful about their sources and confirmations. Looking back at the past 48 hours, they've proved it time and again.

Pretty much the same opinion as you. Le Monde is the only newspaper/website that I trust when it comes to facts.

Now, I hope that the hostage-taking will end quickly and with no casualties. It would be easier if they surrendered, but I'm afraid they aren't willing to do so.

One thing that I would like to be confirmed though: do they really have a rocket launcher, or was it an hoax that everyone just assumed to be true?

Is that really true though? NYT and other media refuse to show Charlie Hebdo cartoons. South Park still can't show Mohammed.

Seems like their actions are working and normal life is being redefined to conform to their demands. It's bullshit man.
Not even South Park? I had heard good things about it but that's disappointing. Politically incorrect my ass.

Kup

Does that warehouse belong to Aldi - as in the supermarket chain? Or is that something else - just curious.

Pretty much the same opinion as you. Le Monde is the only newspaper/website that I trust when it comes to facts.

Now, I hope that the hostage-taking will end quickly and with no casualties. It would be easier if they surrendered, but I'm afraid they aren't willing to do so.

One thing that I would like to be confirmed though: do they really have a rocket launcher, or was it an hoax that everyone just assumed to be true?

Le Figaro tends to have more frequent updates than Le Monde, though.

spekkeh

Banned
Does that warehouse belong to Aldi - as in the supermarket chain? Or is that something else - just curious.

Given there's also a Carrefour, I reckon it's the supermarket. But they're in an unrelated copyshop. Good for them, dying in an Aldi, yikes.

Nev

Banned

Fruitless? They killed 12 people, including their main objective. I'm pretty sure you still won't be able to say "fucking allah" in the same way you say "jesus fucking christ" or you could say "fucking buddha". Normal lives go on indeed, this will have no consecuences to the scum that ordered the attacks because there is no retaliation possible except war, and the attacks will continue to happen until war is inevitable.

Mimosa97

B65fGK8CUAACxLx.png

GIPN = National Police special forces

" Dear journalists don't film the sphere of operation in order to avoid giving any indication about the locations of police forces. Thank you in advance. "

This is why it's so hard to get any image/info about what's happening right now.

warthog

I hope none of the hostages/police get hurt. Don't give a shit about the faith of the assholes.

Glad that it's coming to and end and there's no "we got 100 kids in this school"-hostage situation. But obviously I really hope those employees of that printing company will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom