• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tanks are also armed with machineguns, so it's not like they are planning to level the area or anything.

And of course, maybe they are just moving it around due to unrelated reasons.

Dwalls

Neo Member
I haven't been keeping up with the thread because I needed sleep. What has happened in the last 12 hours or so? They seem to have found them according to the last page? Do they have hostages? I hope not.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Where has the idea they have a rocket launcher come from?

A rocket launcher was spotted during the initial attack. Later, the clerk at a gas station where they stopped claimed that they were heavily armed and carried a rocket launcher in their car.

The tank seems to be on a truck?

Maybe the terrorists ordered a tank on Amazon?

It's more efficient that way. Besides, tank tracks would damage the road.

Xando

They won't use a tank. If they're are similiar to german police they have their own assault tanks.

Something like this.
4295650859_7531dfe77f_m.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They won't use a tank. If they're are similiar to german police they have their own assault tanks.

Something like this.
4295650859_7531dfe77f_m.jpg

That depends of the perceived risk of getting hit with a rocket launcher. Those light armored vehicles are only meant to take fire from small firearms. Chances are a biggish bullet like the one fired from an AK could penetrate the armor if used armour piercing rounds. Even an actual APC can be easily destroyed by a modest RPG.

Vanpastel

A rocket launcher was spotted during the initial attack. Later, the clerk at a gas station where they stopped claimed that they were heavily armed and carried a rocket launcher in their car.

It's more efficient that way. Besides, tank tracks would damage the road.

That's an AMX-10 RC, it moves on wheels rather than tracks.

potam

Banned
That depends of the perceived risk of getting hit with a rocket launcher. Those light armored vehicles are only meant to take fire from small firearms. Chances are a biggish bullet like the one fired from an AK could penetrate the armor if used armour piercing rounds. Even an actual APC can be easily destroyed by a modest RPG.

so can a tank

Xando

Tanks can aswell. It's not like you can take 50 RPG shots with a tank. Hit the tank right and 1 rocket is enough. It's all about where they would hit the tank/apc.

Hanmik

Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP · 8s9 seconds ago
#BREAKING Paris policewoman killing linked to massacre brothers: police

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's an AMX-10 RC, it moves on wheels rather than tracks.
Well spotted. Still, trucks are a better way to move the around (responding to Klyka).

so can a tank
Most modern tanks could defeat a normal RPG head unless they got a really bad hit. I'm not sure about a AMX-10 RC, though, although the wiki says it is meant to survive armor piercing fire.

Tanks can aswell. It's not like you can take 50 RPG shots with a tank. Hit the tank right and 1 rocket is enough. It's all about where they would hit the tank/apc.
A normal RPG grenade is not going to destroy a modern battle tank, they need a specialized armor-defeating head for that. Again, I'm not sure about an AMX-10 RC (and it's not like we know what kind of rocket launcher/RPG they are packing, I'm just pulling the RPG thing from my ass due to their popularity in the Middle East).

potam

Banned
Most modern tanks could defeat a normal RPG head unless they got a really bad hit. I'm not sure about a AMX-10 RC, though, although the wiki says it is meant to survive armor piercing fire.

I was taught to aim at where the turret meets the body of the tank. No reactive armor there, and a hit will probably mean errone dead.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
god i hope france and europe as a whole get their shit together after this

no reason a group like this should ever be more prepared for a scenario than your entire police force

ridiculous

Lucifon

Frustrating watching Sky News showing footage of people moving in and exactly at which point they're moving in from. After saying only 30 minutes ago they're being very careful about what footage they're showing. Speak about it, don't show it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

no reason a group like this should ever be more prepared for a scenario than your entire police force

ridiculous

They aren't more prepared. The police want to avoid civilian casualties AND capture the terrorists alive. It requires finesse.

Klyka

Banned
Twitter/German TV rumor so take it with a grain of salt.

French special forces are waiting for GSG9 (German police special force) / KSK(German army special forces) to reinforce them.
http://www.n24.de/n24/Nachrichten/P...-brueder-moechten-als-maertyrer-sterben-.html

My dad actually worked with the GSG9 when they were literally just started as a response to the Munich Olympia fiasco. He was a close-combat trainer for the "Bundesgrenzschutz" (border patrol I guess?) during that time and they brought him on board for 6 months to teach some stuff.

Because of that, every time I hear about the GSG9 kicking ass somewhere, I just imagine a tiny bit of the legacy of my dad kicking ass with them.

Chariot

Frustrating watching Sky News showing footage of people moving in and exactly at which point they're moving in from. After saying only 30 minutes ago they're being very careful about what footage they're showing. Speak about it, don't show it.
Yeah, that is so stupid. Media outlets should be banned from showing ongoing police actions like this. We don't need any more like the Munich Massacre.

ridiculous

Lol what?! They are prepared, but doing an operation like this safely and without losing policemen takes time.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
They aren't more prepared. The police want to avoid civilian casualties AND capture the terrorists alive. It requires finesse.

that'd make sense if there wasn't a hostage situation right now

this was never at any point contained. they've been in react mode since this entire thing started
Lol what?! They are prepared, but doing an operation like this safely and wihtout losing policemen takes time.

but they've lost police, time, and more civilians have been caught up in this. people are going to look at this kind of situation and begin to think that their crazy ideas are possible.

this has snowballed. they've done a poor job.

potam

Banned

this was never at any point contained. they've been in react mode since this entire thing started

uh...do you not remember the Boston bombing? And that was the US going all fucking out. I'd say the French are doing just fine.

It's a huge industrial complex and GIGN + GSG9 have a history of working together so who knows.

Didn't know that. By working together do you mean training or actual operations? Still seems weird unless the French are severely undermanned.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

ridiculous
It's a minority report case. Police knows that about 1200 people are "risky", potential terrorists. Can we monitor them 24/24 ? Too costly. Then arrest them before they did anything? Our laws are not made like that.

Jb

You do seem to be an expert on this so surely you must be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom