• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJLord

that'd make sense if there wasn't a hostage situation right now

this was never at any point contained. they've been in react mode since this entire thing started

What would you have had them do? There's only so much you can do when people like this just seem to appear. I'd say the French have had a handle on it pretty quickly.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
uh...do you not remember the Boston bombing? And that was the US going all fucking out. I'd say the French are doing just fine.

that was a remote det in a massive gathering

entirely different than a broad daylight shooting that's taken this long to even contain let alone resolve

Klyka

Banned

this was never at any point contained. they've been in react mode since this entire thing started

but they've lost police, time, and more civilians have been caught up in this. people are going to look at this kind of situation and begin to think that their crazy ideas are possible.

this has snowballed. they've done a poor job.

Police are ALWAYS in react mode. They don't just magically conjure up information and teleport their officers to places. This isn't GTA where for some reason everyone always knows where you are.

Drawn by Kroll

B65mfs4IIAA_2ZE.jpg:large

Get out of there. We're gonna draw you with big fat cunt faces...

Vanpastel

Justin Bronk ‏@Justin_Br0nk 3m3 minutes ago
The French authorities have brought in a Leclerc Main Battle Tank to the #CharieHebdo attacker standoff area...

But that is not a LeClerc, look at the picture you're quoting and you'll see the three wheels on this side.

Alx

this was never at any point contained. they've been in react mode since this entire thing started.

Hostages make it even more necessary not to rush in.
Those guys aren't going anywhere, better wait for them to get tired or nervous, and plan any intervention carefully. Time favors those doing the siege.

DY_nasty

i dont see why saying that days of heavily armed guys on the loose means that france is doing a poor job at this...
I'm talking about the ensuing manhunt.

point still stands

boston manhunt = people didn't even know where to start looking. this is very different

that was a remote det in a massive gathering

entirely different than a broad daylight shooting that's taken this long to even contain let alone resolve

Once the shooting took place they drove off from the scene, disappearing into a huge city like Paris is often easy. Hunting down two people like this takes some effort, and the police can't prepare for random people picking up guns and just firing them.

But that is not a LeClerc, look at the picture you're quoting and you'll see the three wheels on this side.

I know nothing of tanks, this tweet was from @Justin_Br0nk
Aerospace and defence news, analysis and footage from a Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) Military Sciences research analyst -

of course the moment I type this up...he corrects it
Correction: Armour brought in for #CharieHebdo standoff is an AMX-10RC, not an MBT - MT @NickJDWEurope for the ident!

potam

Banned
point still stands

boston manhunt = people didn't even know where to start looking. this is very different

No I'm talking about after they killed the cop at MIT, and then were tracked to that neighborhood that ended up being swarmed by cops, SWAT, and FBI. I don't remember the exact details, but it did take them a while to finally get them after they knew where they were.

Fuck, wasn't one of them caught just because some dude noticed his tarp over his boat was moved?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Hello.

Response to terrorists attacks is reactive by definition. And it's not like it's impossible to break away from normal cops when they are woefully outgunned by people carrying military-grade weapons.
My thought exactly, I believe nearby cops with guns in Paris were told not to engage a fight against murderers with a bazooka.

Odah

Banned
I bet if there would be a river next to that factory they'd come with an Aircraft Carrier aswell

"area is secure -over chhh"

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 2m2 minutes ago
Update - French media: identified suspect in #Paris policewoman killing is known associate of suspected #CharlieHebdo gunman Cherif Kouachi

DY_nasty

No I'm talking about after they killed the cop at MIT, and then were tracked to that neighborhood that ended up being swarmed by cops, SWAT, and FBI. I don't remember the exact details, but it did take them a while to finally get them after they knew where they were.

Fuck, wasn't one of them caught just because some dude noticed his tarp over his boat was moved?

still - you gotta see how that's extremely different than what we have here

the dorner stuff applies yeah, but even then they knew who it was and had a generally solid belief that he was acting alone.

Chariot

Ok bringing a tank is just weird. Using the main cannon in Paris would be way, way too dangerous.
Maybe they just use it just as a shield against the possible rocket launcher? I don't think that there would be any good use for the canon against two men on foot.

Klyka

Banned
I am pretty sure that if we played hide & seek in a city like Paris it would take you a long while to find me and even longer if you knew I had an AK that I would shoot you with if you DID find me.

Alx

Ok bringing a tank is just weird. Using the main cannon in Paris would be way, way too dangerous.

Well they're not in Paris any more, but in an industrial area ~80 km away. But yes it is still weird. And in any case there's 0 chance they'd use the cannon. I still believe it is an unrelated convoy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
i dont see why saying that days of heavily armed guys on the loose means that france is doing a poor job at this...

The shooting happened on the 7th. They are now corraled and unable to escape.

This isn't something that outrageous, specially when you consider that we are talking about actual terrorists with military training, not just your average standoff with a common criminal.

Joni

Maybe they just use it just as a shield against the possible rocket launcher? I don't think that there would be any good use for the canon against two men on foot.
"Why is there a big gaping hole where they used to be our hideout?"
It also shoots massive smoke grenades.

DY_nasty

My thought exactly, I believe nearby cops with guns in Paris were told not to engage a fight against murderers with a bazooka.

then why are they still getting killed over the shit? this wreaks of a mess. i don't know what happened nor does anyone else but when stuff like this snowballs and escalates then more than one thing has gone very wrong

potam

Banned
still - you gotta see how that's extremely different than what we have here

the dorner stuff applies yeah, but even then they knew who it was and had a generally solid belief that he was acting alone.

ok now I have no fucking idea what you're saying the French should have done differently...

They should have just been better?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wait, what is going on? I literally just got up. They're back in Paris now?

What is the most likely punishment if they are caught alive? Will they be prosecuted in France?

Where else would they be prosecuted?
Most likely is life in prison. Though France's far right movement is trying to bring back the death penalty. Hopefully they won't succeed though.

DY_nasty

ok now I have no fucking idea what you're saying the French should have done differently...

They should have just been better?

yeah. they should be better

i don't think that's even asking a lot

Chariot

"Why is there a big gaping hole where they used to be our hideout?"
It also shoots massive smoke grenades.
Mind you, this is still a hostage situation. If things go awry, they can move in with the ground forces.
But the smoke grenades are a good idea.

Alx

What is the most likely punishment if they are caught alive? Will they be prosecuted in France?

Prison for life. And yes they will be prosecuted in France, why wouldn't they be ? They're French, killed French people on French territory, and in all likeliness will be captured in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom