• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGG Studio (Yakuza) says they are surprised more studios don't reuse assets to release games faster

Draugoth

Gold Member
Washington Post's Gene Park: "I spoke to RGG Studio (Ryū ga Gotoku Yakuza devs), earlier this year to talk about their fast dev cycle. they think it’s peculiar that other game series practically reboot themselves every entry. they’re inspired by TV shows and film that reuse settings all the time"

RGG's game output is absolutely staggering. In a time where games regularly take 4-5 years to make, in the last 4 years they've had: -

Yakuza Like a Dragon- Lost Judgment
- Isshin Remake
- The Man Who Erased His Name
- Infinite Wealth
And early next year a Pirate spinoff. Wild.

IaGF9as.jpeg
oawSjAp.jpeg

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I'm here for the bandwagoners now acting as if this is a deeply positive thing cause SEGA said it.

Be like "WOW, Ubisoft is just fucking copying SEGA to pander, reusing assets just to PRETEND they care bro"

lol

Regardless, this is what a lot of the industry does, I don't know any major IP that is making new assets, new engine etc 100% from scratch ever fucking entry lol

Aenima

Yup, Kamurocho was pretty much in every Yakuza game to the point i find the location one of the main characters. Its specially interesting to see how Kamurocho changed over the years like a living city with some stores opening, others closing, some big buildings appearing as part of the city development, etc. All this still using alot of recicled assets.

Is this a thing i want to see in all IPs? Nop.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Like how Anime reuses the same sound effects for every shonen action show. Just a big keyboard being played during the fight scenes.

Elfstar

This works for Yakuza because it's a less than AAA series that is somewhat still niche-ish and underscrutinized, with also a rabid fanbase that allows them to get away with a lot of things that other ips wouldn't.

RGGS's way of recycling is very excessive. The same city/es, the same animations, the same sound effects for 10+ games? That's wayy too much.

Fahdis

With how many small camps I raided in Odyssey that looked exactly the same, Ubisoft has no problems re-using the same shit over and over again. It was almost shameful and I still 100% the game. I'm the idiot. Game almost killed me out of boredome.

Japanese reusing assets: it's fine yaaas
Western reusing assets: THIS GAME SUCKSS

the double standards around the world and on gaf are idiotic to say the least when it comes to this kind of shit. I love Yakuza/RGG games but I have never excused them for reusing so much of their shit. I hope this is not the future RGG is heading towards because Im out if so.

With how many small camps I raided in Odyssey that looked exactly the same, Ubisoft has no problems re-using the same shit over and over again. It was almost shameful and I still 100% the game. I'm the idiot. Game almost killed me out of boredome.
They're talking about between games, not within the same game.

Stuart360

It would probably save time and money, but i dont really like it.

I dont like it when Indie devs just buy a ton of asset packs to build a game, and i certainly wouldnt like it with AAA developers.
Besides some do reuse certain assets, small things between games, which is fine if its like a chair or a cup or something.

There was a lot of asset swapping between AC Origins and Odyssey, but that kind of made sense as it was the same time period, and similar style setting. plus both games were developed parralel.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Yakuza team's approach isn't going to work for a lot of series, but they're astonishingly good at focusing on the shit that's meaningful to differentiate one game from the next. I've spent hundreds of hours in the streets of Kamurocho, and I'm still always excited for more. They're a very efficient, very talented team.

It's better this way. They can focus on the gameplay or story better. I have no complaints.
Yeah. The fact is art is taking up too much of the budget as it is and gameplay suffers for it. There is such a thing as too much money spent on graphics. Even Concord is technically extremely polished in terms of graphics; the fact that the characters were ugly as a baseline stayed unchanged though. Which just proves that polishing a turd doesn't change the turd.

The fundamentals of a game is important and too much focus on the graphics can distract that.

SolidQ

Between Like a Dragon and Infinity wealth is 4 year. They make Hawaii and new mini games + Dondoko. Yokohama seems took 1 year from Yakuza 7 to Lost Judment
Other story is they fill between main part, with reuse asssets spinoffs

1. Kamurocho
2. Sotenbori
3. Yokohama
4. Hawaii
5. Okinawa
6. Nagasugai
7. Kineicho
8. Tsukimino
9. Onomichi
and many small locations like Ship in Gaiden, underground in Kamurocho etc
in future we will see more :p

Last edited:

RavageX

I don't mind the same locations, I don't mind the same characters. In fact, I like those things.

I do mind the exact same music (unless its a theme for a character) and in THIS particular game, it's the sad story music. Boy I am sick of hearing that. I also mind some of the exact same animations.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Capcom has been doing it since Megaman series started. 😂

I'm saying lol

I once used Megaman as an example and explained to someone that what they see from Call Of Duty or Fifa isn't some wild idea. Its almost as if gamers have this blind spot or wild hypocrisy for studios or publishers from the East.

Capcom
Square
FromSoft
SEGA

etc, but when a publisher like EA or Ubisoft etc seems to do this, suddenly what is Resourceful, Efficient and Sustainable is now greedy, cheap, "copy and paste", lazy lol

It often makes me wonder if some of the views I read from users on here, really, truly and honestly are their own or merely this weird sheep, peer pressure thing to follow the "in" crowd and repeat the popular thing to fit in.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I once used Megaman as an example and explained to someone that what they see from Call Of Duty or Fifa isn't some wild idea. Its almost as if gamers have this blind spot or wild hypocrisy for studios or publishers from the East.

Capcom
Square
FromSoft
SEGA

etc, but when a publisher like EA or Ubisoft etc seems to do this, suddenly what is Resourceful, Efficient and Sustainable is now greedy, cheap, "copy and paste", lazy lol

It often makes me wonder if some of the views I read from users on here, really, truly and honestly are their own or merely this weird sheep, peer pressure thing to follow the "in" crowd and repeat the popular thing to fit in.

I think there is a bit of a difference between reusing assets and making what is essentially the same game over and over.

Mega man games for example have new level designs, new weapon types, new boss designs.

Mega Man games also don't come out every year.

I think there is some level of hypocrisy but then again I think there are varying degrees of asset re-use as well.

Reactions: PJX

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'd say if you're reusing assets, animations etc. way too much as well as the same ancient design decisions from the PS2 era even during PS4 lifecycle (85-90% of all dialogues in games are still not voiced and presented the same ways as in the first Yakuza game for example) is creative impotence and clear indication that they simply don't want to change anything.

I mean, I love Yakuza, it's one of my favorite series of games and I know it's still niche af, but c'mon, man, time for some BIG changes is long overdue especially considering that they're trying to make more games now and I guess somewhat make these games less niche and more popular.

I'm not buying the pirate game. Way too many Yakuza games in recent years. I'd much rather play the 3rd Judgment game tbh and something more focused on the story and less on side content (I think we've seen more than enough of this over the course of 3 console generations and 2+ decades).

Last edited:

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
This works for Yakuza because it's a less than AAA series that is somewhat still niche-ish and underscrutinized, with also a rabid fanbase that allows them to get away with a lot of things that other ips wouldn't.

RGGS's way of recycling is very excessive. The same city/es, the same animations, the same sound effects for 10+ games? That's wayy too much.
And yet, each game feels unique.

This is very much like Ultima. When you have a great game world, it feels good to come back to it and see how things have changed. Feels like coming home. An actual cozy game.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm good as long as the add some fresh things and not just 100% the exact same setting. You gotta give them credit.

Reactions: Isa

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Isn't this what God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West were criticized for?
Don't forget Tears of the Kingdom
You mean the games that took 4-6 years to develop and were given massive budgets and expectations to live up to?

Also, who the fuck was criticizing these games for reusing assets? outside of TOTK, they didn't get that much flak, and in the case of TOTK, they reused the entire fucking BOTW map.

Your average Yakuza project takes like 2 years at most to create with all the asset reuse. Hence why nobody gives a fuck when Yakuza does it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It helps that they also offer more than 1 type of gameplay genre, as well as new mini-games and characters. Yakuza Kiwami, LAD Infinite Wealth and Judgment feels different enough unlike GOW Ragnarok or Horizon FW.

And now Pirate Yakuza with Majima is a game with a new lead and pirating gameplay.

Gambit2483

Japanese reusing assets: it's fine yaaas
Western reusing assets: THIS GAME SUCKSS

the double standards around the world and on gaf are idiotic to say the least when it comes to this kind of shit. I love Yakuza/RGG games but I have never excused them for reusing so much of their shit. I hope this is not the future RGG is heading towards because Im out if so.
At least Japan bothers to actually make each new entry with Interesting new stories, characters and Gameplay features.

Unlike Western devs who usually just slap new skins, weapons, and minor new (or recycled) gameplay features.

Doggyred

Neo Member
You know, while I love the Yakuza series, I can’t deny that they seem to get a free pass with their yearly releases, which often feel like asset flips. This is even more pronounced than with franchises like Call of Duty and Assassin’s Creed. By the time the 6th game came out, I had to force myself to finish it because I was already burned out from the series. It felt like I was playing the same game since Yakuza 3. If the series hadn’t switched to a turn-based system, I probably wouldn’t have continued playing the new releases.

killatopak

Gold Member
Personally, I feel that Kamurocho is a character in it of itself. It evolves with the time. Just ask yourself if your city was the same in the 80s than what it is now. The people, atmosphere, fashion, technology is completely different every time.

Contrast this to say games like Resident Evil in games where they portray Racoon City. It’s exactly the same, constrained in time at that specific moment. Unless you have a completely new location portrayed, asset reuse would be seen as a negative.

Last edited:

nowhat

I'm kinda torn about this. I think TGG reuses way too many assets. You can bet your ass that if they add a new location in $GAME_X, it will be featured later in $GAME_Y.

At the same time, whenever that one tune with the electric piano starts playing, I'm almost tearing up. Yes, this is definitely just a Pavlovian response, but I'm a good boy.

Kumomeme

And they would be right,this generation has seen the worst optimizations,the most broken products and the worst flops. I wonder why that is....must be the effects of Covid still...
well...the idea is that by reused asset, lot of development time would be reduced and the extra additional time gained from it would be poured into optimization instead (hopefully)

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

Top Bottom